Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

I doubt it. Closing the car park at 2pm today seems a bit pointless. It was a lovely day in Galway. The car park gets busy because of the new cinema across the road. The first high tide isn't until 7am tomorrow. The main car park will be empty by tonight and they'll ensure its closed by morning.

If the same things happens again tomorrow with multiple cars being engulfed by the sea, well then they may aswell close those car parks for good in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

dsmythy wrote: »
    Red in Wexford? His chart is off.

Its basically a guess map not a real one putting a guess that original orange counties may go red based on later information suggesting north of 130kmh gusts there
    Wexford could go red on the basis that on the south wexford coast gusts might reach red status
    If bits of counties do that, the whole county goes red
    It's a fault of the current set up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Pretty irresponsible to tweet that graphic.

Very stupid move on his part. It will just cause confusion.
    Only MetE should be producing the warning charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They need to split up the counties this is bonkers giving a blanket red for counties that stretch well inland. It's done by county line which is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I doubt it. Closing the car park at 2pm today seems a bit pointless. It was a lovely day in Galway. The car park gets busy because of the new cinema across the road. The first high tide isn't until 7am tomorrow. The main car park will be empty by tonight and they'll ensure its closed by morning.

Because gob****es will park their car their today and leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

They need to split up the counties this is bonkers giving a blanket red for counties that stretch well inland. It's done by county line which is just wrong.

No counties have a red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fair points. But if people are looking for essential information I would, with all respect to Boards, be checking elsewhere.
    There are some great and knowledgeable contributors on this forum but there's also some very entertaining and comedic ones. That mixture is part of the appeal of the place. I think boards weather is a long long way above the Facebook nonsense, but I would still categorise it as entertainment. Sorry if that hurts people's feelings but that's my opinion.

All the chat & banter would still be here in this thread. My many years of following storm threads has shown that the knowledgeable here are way ahead of ME etc & much more local.

It's just so much easier, especially when you are out in the weather & relying on a mobile to have a dedicated Technical thread. But I appreciate that it gives the Mods lots of work as people post in the wrong place.

pad199207 wrote: »
    If the same things happens again tomorrow with multiple cars being engulfed by the sea, well then they may aswell close those car parks for good in the winter.

The Prom is a very very busy amenity in Galway so that makes no sense. The people of Galway would not allow it.

No point in punishing the majority for the idiocy of a few.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112055839&postcount=318

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112057432

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Predictions for this storm seem to be increasing... what time are the next model runs due out?

Oh and thanks to all the knowledgeable people on here that are keeping us all updated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

km79 wrote: »
    No counties have a red warning

I'm expecting that to change by 5am,I could be wrong

• Advertisement

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Because gob****es will park their car their today and leave it there.

Only the ones that want an insurance payout. People are well warned this weekend.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112057432

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hook Lighthouse is wexford and pretty exposed so chart may not be that off. Kilmore also pretty exposed for a south south westerly wind. Can only see what happens when it hits

Ukmo giving 65-70mph winds up the Irish sea tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'm expecting that to change by 5am,I could be wrong

5am would be a pain in the ass
    Both myself and wife have to drive from south mayo to different parts of east galway tomorrow morning
    Hope it’s called tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

electoral areas would be a good one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So to the knowledgeable guys and gals here, is this bad for Western and south western counties, or is it nothing, it's getting hard to tell what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

irishgeo wrote: »
    electoral areas would be a good one to use.

Split it into 5 straight lines running north to south.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

If Met Eireann are going to call red warnings they would seriously want to hurry on this evening. If they call them in the morning there will be murder.

Ofcourse they might have already settled for an orange level nationwide alert and red marine warnings as sufficient for this event.

Can’t remember a Nationwide Orange before...?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

County might be a blunt instrument but it's the obvious and only one. You can tell the people of Mayo they're yellow, orange or red as appropriate, no misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

pad199207 wrote: »
    If Met Eireann are going to call red warnings they would seriously want to hurry on this evening. If they call them in the morning there will be murder.

Ofcourse they might have already settled for an orange level nationwide alert and red marine warnings as sufficient for this event.

Can’t remember a Nationwide Orange before...?

Leaving up the advisory would have been an idea at least people would know be warned that things could change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The rags have got hold of Derecks RED ALERT graphic.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4980406/storm-brendan-in-ireland-red-warning-predictions/

And i qoute

"I do hope Red Warnings are put in place by Met Eireann as there is expected winds gusting
    over the 130km/h in Atlantic Counties and over 140km.h in parts also..
    "This has the potential to be a very dangerous storm so please be prepared and stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A red isn't justified especially as the storm is making headlines anyway. In all fairness the centre is well offshore when it hits. I think Met Eireann have done an excellent job so far on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Met eireann seemed pretty definitive in their Orange warning at 6.30 with no mention of possible changes in later weather forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A red isn't justified especially as the storm is making headlines anyway. In all fairness the centre is well offshore when it hits. I think Met Eireann have done an excellent job so far on this one

the violent core of winds remain offshore but winds are still expected to breach orange level criteria in exposed western northwestern areas such is the intensity and scale of the storms windfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He should get a bollocking from the Weather Advisory Council for that. Creating confusion about Red weather warning.

Discodog wrote: »
    All the chat & banter would still be here in this thread. My many years of following storm threads has shown that the knowledgeable here are way ahead of ME etc & much more local.

It's just so much easier, especially when you are out in the weather & relying on a mobile to have a dedicated Technical thread. But I appreciate that it gives the Mods lots of work as people post in the wrong place.

OK. Points taken and your outdoor experience certainly trumps my armchair philosophising! Also, I can't actually think of anywhere better to look for updates, twitter?
    Stay safe tomorrow if you're working out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It doesnt make sense for the the likes of Dublin to be under the same warning as Donegal and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The rags have got hold of Derecks RED ALERT graphic.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4980406/storm-brendan-in-ireland-red-warning-predictions/

And i qoute

"I do hope Red Warnings are put in place by Met Eireann as there is expected winds gusting
    over the 130km/h in Atlantic Counties and over 140km.h in parts also..
    "This has the potential to be a very dangerous storm so please be prepared and stay safe.

That is a quote from some facebook page called weather alert ireland run by someone called Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

youngblood wrote: »
    Met eireann seemed pretty definitive in their Orange warning at 6.30 with no mention of possible changes in later weather forecasts

if met eireann is waiting for the latest run of the models, when does that occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭ratracer

mjp wrote: »
    On the west coast in Galway and hoping that we go to red alert. As the worst of it not due to hit Dublin so Rte will pay very little heed to it. Drove through salthill this evening at 4 clock and the carpark was full with prom jammed with people despite council "closing" the carpark since 2 clock. Expect to see more images of flooded cars from there tomorrow morning. People never learn

In fairness, it was a lovely sunny day in Salthill today, plenty of people parking the car and walking the prom. No need to close the car park until after sundown, but that’s typical of the way GCC work! I see no issue with anyone using the car park today but anything left there now should be towed out of it, at the owners expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Every1 on FB sharing a post from Midlands Weather- Irelands Weather Channel bout a Red Alert. Cue the usual "Met Eireann wudnt know their arse from their elbow etc etc..."

Advertisement