Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

boccy23 wrote: »
    Love Thursdays. Got to watch my Dbacks against SF last night. Beautiful day in Phoenix with the roof open. Gotta love it.

p.s. Result not so. :(

Plenty of day games today too (including your DBacks at the Rockies).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Looking forward to that one today.

Giving strong thought to getting tickets for Mets v Reds on Sunday. Wish that was a night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

What does optimism feel like again?
    :D:D its that feeling you have about the Redskins right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

35% does seem low. Unless they meant against the Nationals/Expos? Washington has owned them at home the past few years.

I thought it was overall but could be wrong. They were discussing the fact that the Mets had the 2nd worst home record in the NL last year so thought the 1993 stat was their overall record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

I know but according to Twitter when the Dbacks landed in Denver, there was sleet and 60mph winds.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »

Giving strong thought to getting tickets for Mets v Reds on Sunday. Wish that was a night game.

If the last two days are anything to go by, it'll be like a ghost town there although the weekends should attract more fans.

I like CitiField. I know hard core Mets fans prefer the old days at Shea but I was never there so can't compare but I've always had a good experience at CitiField, everything from the subway ride out and arriving at the stadium to meeting other fans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

What does optimism feel like again?

I can give you some........Mets will face the Reds number 5 starter and a reliever that's spot starting (just ignore the fact that Cueto is in the middle)

http://deadspin.com/matt-adams-shoves-fan-after-diving-for-foul-ball-fan-f-1557858900/all

Cardinals won the game........but I still think at least 1 Reds fan came out on top

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v31806371/?query=jeter

Not a yankees fan by any means......but Jeter is a legend......this particular Astros fan on the other hand, not so much

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

bpkjrAX.jpg

Big big day in Boston. Home opener, but more importantly the WS rings - which none of them have seen yet - are being handed out.

Festivities start at 7pm GMT, but the door open at Fenway at 11:45am in Boston! Gonna be one for the history books books I hope.

The other funny thing to note is that Buckholz, who's the Sox's number four starter this week, will be pitching against the Brewers number four starter.

Kinda illustrates the starting pitching depth.

Also heard and interest tidbit this morning. Most teams get their relievers up pretty frequently during a game, even when they don't end up pitching. In 2013 the Sox only got Uehara up TWICE in the entire year, when it didn't pitch. Which probably explains why he's not completely shattered after pitching into October last year. Interesting approach and one that makes a lot of sense when you consider it's mostly ex-pitching coaches that run the Sox these days ;)

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Festivities start at 7pm GMT, but the door open at Fenway at 11:45am in Boston!

When I read that first I didn't notice the GMT and thought that they were opening the grounds up over 7 hours before first pitch. There'd be a hell of a lot of drunk people in the stands if they did. Everyone would be wrecked before first pitch.

When I read that first I didn't notice the GMT and thought that they were opening the grounds up over 7 hours before first pitch. There'd be a hell of a lot of drunk people in the stands if they did. Everyone would be wrecked before first pitch.

You can safely assume that most every Sox fan will be enjoying a few tonight. I know I will! :)

On a side note, Drew won't be there to collect his ring. Kinda sad at this point. :(

You can safely assume that most every Sox fan will be enjoying a few tonight. I know I will! :)

As long as the players don't join in (until after the game at least)

On a side note, Drew won't be there to collect his ring. Kinda sad at this point. :(

Really can't wait for Scott Boras to either retire, or price himself out of baseball. (The latter would be quite ironic)

As long as the players don't join in (until after the game at least)

Really can't wait for Scott Boras to either retire, or price himself out of baseball. (The latter would be quite ironic)

Well Gomes is probably already drunk ;)

As for Boras, he's just awful. I think one of the reason I like the Sox approach these last two years is that they're kinda saying, "there is another way to win that doesn't involve 250M, 10 year deals".

Boras get the work BECAUSE he gets the money - ergo if teams stopped giving him what he wants he'd be out of business.

Players kinda seem to get this as well; following the money doesn't guarantee success or happiness, especially when you can reject that attitude and STILL have a massive payday, and have success and play for a team that wins.

Well Gomes is probably already drunk ;)

Don't you know that Gomes' career BA when drunk is over .400

Don't you know that Gomes' career BA when drunk is over .400

There's a DIRECT correlation between his OBP and his BAC. ;)

There's a DIRECT correlation between his OBP and his BAC. ;)

In my vast experience of beer league softball.......when the effects of certain beverages cause you to see multiple balls......you should try and hit the left one.

In my fast experience of beer league softball.......when the effects of certain beverages cause you to see multiple balls......you should try and hit the left one.

Hahaaa

That reminds me of this

BkZL6BkCcAACdbI.jpg

Nice to see they're following in the US Sports tradition of tackiness when it comes to Championship rings

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Puig scratched from the Dodgers home opener after arriving to the park late. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them let him go before the trade deadline. What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Morrison J wrote: »
    Puig scratched from the Dodgers home opener after arriving to the park late. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him one before the trade deadline. What an idiot.

You think they would get rid of Puig for arriving late? Never.
    It's great to get Giants-Dodgers at a reasonable hour!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    You think they would get rid of Puig for arriving late? Never.
    It's great to get Giants-Dodgers at a reasonable hour!

Not just for that but theres been an accumulation of things. If reports are to be believed he's not liked very much in the clubhouse and Don Mattingly has made no secret of his frustrations with him. Accused him of faking injuries the other week also.

The Dodgers have 3 above average outfielders as it is now that Kemp is back. Wouldn't blame them if they dealt him to someone to improve their infield or pitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Very excited about Tanaka's debut for the yankees against the bluejays tonight..
    In fairness they have been very clever giving him his 1st start up there.

Can't wait to see how he gets on

Morrison J wrote: »
    Not just for that but theres been an accumulation of things. If reports are to be believed he's not liked very much in the clubhouse and Don Mattingly has made no secret of his frustrations with him. Accused him of faking injuries the other week also.

The Dodgers have 3 above average outfielders as it is now that Kemp is back. Wouldn't blame them if they dealt him to someone to improve their infield or pitching.

I doubt they'll trade him. He's got too much potential, both on the field and as a marketable star. Maybe he needs to be benched for a few games as opposed to just the one. Make him stew on the bench for a week or so. I doubt they'd go as far as sending him to the minors for a bit but if he really kept acting up, it is an option I suppose.

EDIT I don't know if his benching is distracting the team but they're down 6-0 in the first at the moment with the bases loaded.

I doubt they'll trade him. He's got too much potential, both on the field and as a marketable star. Maybe he needs to be benched for a few games as opposed to just the one. Make him stew on the bench for a week or so. I doubt they'd go as far as sending him to the minors for a bit but if he really kept acting up, it is an option I suppose.

EDIT I don't know if his benching is distracting the team but they're down 6-0 in the first at the moment with the bases loaded.

Agreed its not necessarily likely but its something I'm sure the Dodgers have at least considered. Its the marketing aspect that will hold it back if anything I do believe. Its obviously a difficult move to let go one of the biggest names in the sport but the Red Sox showed last year that a good group of personalities is better than a couple of star players.

And this might come back to make me look stupid come a few months into the season but I think we'll see a bit of a regression from Puig this year meaning his trade value is prob at its peak at the moment. It makes sense.

"Teixeira to DL"

Via twitter:

"Girardi: Teixeira to DL. Kelly Johnson will be regular 1b, yanks call up Romine. Solarte, Anna, Cervelli would be backup options at 1b"

More here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2018108-mark-teixeira-injury-updates-on-yankees-1bs-hamstring-and-return

As the Reds have a run and Cueto looks unhittable, this game is looking like it isn't going to end well for me so I'm off to the pub

• Advertisement

As the Reds have a run and Cueto looks unhittable, this game is looking like it isn't going to end well for me so I'm off to the pub

Jack leaves and the Mets get their first hit of the game......I think we've found the problem

Advertisement