Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Quietly enjoying how well Cueto has pitched! :)

RA was very good against the Yankees today, the same Yankees who finally started to hit last night. Pineda went six innings today also, looked strong. Good sign for the Yankees.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

RA was very good against the Yankees today, the same Yankees who finally started to hit last night. Pineda went six innings today also, looked strong. Good sign for the Yankees.

Yankees are scoreless right now against the Blue Jays and Soriano is still without a hit this year. And of the five hits the Yanks have today, three are from one guy.

So the rest of the team has two hits over 8 innings.

Not exactly on fire. ;)

Saying that, Toronto's bullpen isn't exactly brilliant so their 1-0 lead may not last for 6 more outs.

EDIT: Soriano strikes out (stranding two).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Yankees are scoreless right now against the Blue Jays and Soriano is still without a hit this year. And of the five hits the Yanks have today, three are from one guy.

So the rest of the team has two hits over 8 innings.

Not exactly on fire. ;)

Saying that, Toronto's bullpen isn't exactly brilliant so their 1-0 lead may not last for 6 more outs.

Far from on fire. With the Yankees I feel like I've seen this episode before.

Far from on fire. With the Yankees I feel like I've seen this episode before.

A rerun I'd happily watch. ;)

EDIT:

Melky Cabrera just hit a homerun off the Yanks pen. 2-0 TOR in the 9th.

And now they've given up a ground rule double.

And now Jose Bautista has hit a 2 run homerun.

Final Score: 4-0 Toronto.

From the ESPN notes:

"The Yankees entered today as one of two teams yet to hit a HR this season (Royals are the other one)...This is the Yankees' 5th game of the season. The last time they started a season without a HR in the first 5 games of the season was 1990, when they went without a HR in their first 7 games.The 1990 Yankees finished 67-95 and in last place in a then 7-team AL East and had the worst record in the American League."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Saying that, Toronto's bullpen isn't exactly brilliant

Two of them, Cecil and Delabar, made the ASG last year. Janssen (admittedly not playing tonite) was one of last season's best closers. Santos is great if he stays healthy. Loup's no push-over. The bullpen is a strength for the Jays. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    Two of them, Cecil and Delabar, made the ASG last year. Janssen (admittedly not playing tonite) was one of last season's best closers. Santos is great if he stays healthy. Loup's no push-over. The bullpen is a strength for the Jays. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

They're grand. I just wouldn't trust them never give up a single run.

Once they had a two run lead though, that's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Watched the first 4, great matchup. Looking forward to Fernandez v Cashner tonight and really can't wait for Ramirez v Gray tomorrow.

The resurgence of Grady Sizemore continues. He'll be batting lead off tonight in Fenway.

Shocking!

Regarding best bullpens, etc., here's an interesting article with projected 2014 rankings:

[url]Http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/07/ranking-the-bullpens-2014-edition/[/url]

Toronto is projected at 7th best in the AL. Not too shabby! Yankees are ranked 14th, Red Sox 2nd.

Brewers (once PED'd up) slugger Braun is looking to be on the DL for a bit:

[url]Http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/07/ranking-the-bullpens-2014-edition/[/url]

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Watched the first 4, great matchup. Looking forward to Fernandez v Cashner tonight and really can't wait for Ramirez v Gray tomorrow.

Gray replaced by Milone. Goddamn that was a good matchup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Some game at Fenway.

Some game at Fenway.

Madness

EDIT:

After two defensive miscues by the Brewers, Napoli hits a 3 run homerun and the Sox are back within 1. And it's still just the third inning.

That's quickly followed by a 4 pitch walk to Bogaerts.

Buckholz had a rough 3rd and was only rescued by poor base running from the Brewers. Wild weird game. It's mostly down to the extreme cold in Boston. The crowd is all under blankets and in full winter gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jack leaves and the Mets get their first hit of the game......I think we've found the problem

Ah, does this mean I can't watch any more games this season? I've paid €100 for MLB.TV...!!!!

All I can say about today's game is that the Mets were lucky Chapman wan't around. There was no way the bases would have been loaded if he was on the mound. But we need a bit of good fortune so we'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

The O's pitching staff have 4 clean innings from 42 pitched so far. It's only once through the rotation but it was the main area of concern entering the season, so they need to get it sorted fairly lively.

Easy one tonight though, it's only Verlander!

The resurgence of Grady Sizemore continues. He'll be batting lead off tonight in Fenway.

Shocking!

0-4 with a walk. Not the OBP you want from your lead off man.

0-4 with a walk. Not the OBP you want from your lead off man.

By far his worst game back.

On the "year" he's hitting .215 with one HR in 3 games. He's also made diving catches, smashed into a wall and stolen a base.

That's a higher average than Jeter, Beltran or Soriano have at the moment as well.

Considering that many never thought he'd play baseball again, I'd say it's quite the comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

By far his worst game back.

On the "year" he's hitting .215 with one HR in 3 games. He's also made diving catches, smashed into a wall and stolen a base.

That's a higher average than Jeter, Beltran or Soriano have at the moment as well.

Considering that many never thought he'd play baseball again, I'd say it's quite the comeback.

Like Jack said you would want more from your lead off . Great story though, comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

Like Jack said you would want more from your lead off . Great story though, comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

What's the story with Harper today? Benched or just being rested?

Well. He's had one shot at playing lead off. A bit hard to judge him on that. As a hitter he's doing better than many guys out there.

Give him two or three chances at batting lead off before deciding if he's any good.

• Advertisement

Well. He's had one shot at playing lead off. A bit hard to judge him on that. As a hitter he's doing better than many guys out there.

Give him two or three chances at batting lead off before deciding if he's any good.

Way too early to be making judgements on him (or any player/team) full stop. Whether it be his OBP as a lead off guy (and I was guilty of that) or whether it be any player's average or any team's record. It's one week. Comparing a player's average to other players after 5 games is crazy.

No judgements should be made until around a month into the season and everything has settled down.

Way too early to be making judgements on him (or any player/team) full stop. Whether it be his OBP as a lead off guy (and I was guilty of that) or whether it be any player's average or any team's record. It's one week. Comparing a player's average to other players after 5 games is crazy.

No judgements should be made until around a month into the season and everything has settled down.

Completely agree.

My only point about him was that no one, even the Sox, thought he'd be this healthy.

To go from trying to make the team to lead off hitter, after years of injury and not playing at a pro-level is amazing.

I don't know if he'll have a career year - probably not - but even this much is an amazing result. IMO.

If the last two days are anything to go by, it'll be like a ghost town there although the weekends should attract more fans.

I like CitiField. I know hard core Mets fans prefer the old days at Shea but I was never there so can't compare but I've always had a good experience at CitiField, everything from the subway ride out and arriving at the stadium to meeting other fans etc.

It's a good crowd, helps that it's sunny. Collective groaning seems to be the thing to do here. Free wi-Fi though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

And this one belongs to the Reds........thank the lord for that......good news is that we get broxton back this week

And this one belongs to the Reds........thank the lord for that......good news is that we get broxton back this week

Good game and good series. Obviously disappointed they lost today but after going 0-3 to start the season, I'm happy with taking 2 out of 3. And the bullpen looked slightly better so that's a positive too.

What's the story with Harper today? Benched or just being rested?

Rested the reality is he is probably still not right from that collision. Not ideal but with strength in depth a good time to try to get his head right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Benimar wrote: »
    The O's pitching staff have 4 clean innings from 42 pitched so far. It's only once through the rotation but it was the main area of concern entering the season, so they need to get it sorted fairly lively.

Easy one tonight though, it's only Verlander!

Told ya :D:p

Benimar wrote: »
    Told ya :D:p

Playing really well at the moment. I like them for the Division right now even though its early if their pitching stays Healthy I think they will be top come the end. I still think the Blue Jays are better than their results indicate but they need Reyes and he just looks too fragile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Good game and good series. Obviously disappointed they lost today but after going 0-3 to start the season, I'm happy with taking 2 out of 3. And the bullpen looked slightly better so that's a positive too.

Hey you got your walkoff grand slam........if nothing else, you'll have 1 highlight for the year

• Advertisement

Hey you got your walkoff grand slam........if nothing else, you'll have 1 highlight for the year

Rough schedule for your guys Ollie, with only series against the Cubs that look winnable. I think your prediction of .400 for the start of may is about right.

Advertisement