Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sabathia getting crushed early doors. 3 hits 4 runs in 1st inning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

8-10 wrote: »
    Sabathia getting crushed early doors. 3 hits 4 runs in 1st inning!

Yup after watching him "fix" the problems in spring training I thought he may have a big bounce back year but I just think the loss of velocity has made him, dare I say it, easy to hit.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Yup after watching him "fix" the problems in spring training I thought he may have a big bounce back year but I just think the loss of velocity has made him, dare I say it, easy to hit.

Hopefully - from my perspective - he'll be as "good as he was last year ;)

Saying that the whole team looked pretty lousy. Half a billion on players doesn't buy as much as it used to I guess.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Disappointed for CC.
    Think he thought he was out of teh woods after Spring Training.
    Still fancy him to full it together (to an extent) and be a decent 3rd man. But he's no #2 anymore (assuming Verlander, Kershaw and Wainwright etc are #1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's one start and one game. I wouldn't be jumping off ledges yet. Are the Yankees good enough to win the division? Probably not but I wouldn't be calling the season a disaster or the new signings a waste of money one game into a 162 game season.

Just like I'm not picking the 2-0 Marlins to go to the World Series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ok so CC seems to of lost a bit of velocity.. but i wont panic just yet.
    I want the rest of the signings to find their feet very quickly though.
    Early days but that division seems even more wide open to me now.

CC continuing to be crap is going to be a problem for the Yankees. That division is already really tough with Boston and Tampa Bay being the favourites and both the Blue Jays and Orioles capable this year. Personally I think this may boil down to a Blue Jays/Orioles battle for supremacy as long as Reyes comes back and plays 120-130 games

as long as Reyes comes back and plays 120-130 games

You'd have to be very optimistic to think he's going to be able to do that though. I love watching Reyes play when he's in full flow as he's electrifying both on defence and when he's on base but he just can't stay healthy. Going back years he's always had trouble with injury and I can't see how this year is going to be any different.

You'd have to be very optimistic to think he's going to be able to do that though. I love watching Reyes play when he's in full flow as he's electrifying both on defence and when he's on base but he just can't stay healthy. Going back years he's always had trouble with injury and I can't see how this year is going to be any different.

Oh I agree with you 100%. And sure you would know more than most

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Oh I agree with you 100%. And sure you would know more than most

Has had the same hamstring problems for a couple of years now.

• Advertisement

I see Kershaw will be out 2-3 more weeks now. Could be a big loss for the Dodgers.
    Not sure they are the nailed on World Series pick that all the experts seem to think. After the top 4, the rest of the batting order (Uribe, Ethier, Ellis, Gordon) are no super stars.
    If they miss Kershaw for a month, then probably not too big a deal. But if he is hurt at the business end of the season, then it could be a different story.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I see Kershaw will be out 2-3 more weeks now. Could be a big loss for the Dodgers.
    Not sure they are the nailed on World Series pick that all the experts seem to think. After the top 4, the rest of the batting order (Uribe, Ethier, Ellis, Gordon) are no super stars.
    If they miss Kershaw for a month, then probably not too big a deal. But if he is hurt at the business end of the season, then it could be a different story.

Personally I dont get the love for the Dodgers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Personally I dont get the love for the Dodgers either.

Playoffs is a whole different ballgame (or series of them actually)

I think the reason people are bullish about teams like Dodgers and the next World Series favourites Tigers and Cardinals, is that they're the teams most likely to be in the mix

It's hard enough to predict the WS winner at the end of the regular season, let alone the start!

I'm not surprised that these are the 3 favourites. If you look in the predictions thread you'll see we're all picking these 3 to win their divisions (on the most part). That's why there's love for the Dodgers winning the World Series, we know they should be in the playoffs because they're the best in their division. Makes them a lot easier to back than say the Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Rays, Braves etc

I think the reason people are bullish about teams like Dodgers and the next World Series favourites Tigers and Cardinals, is that they're the teams most likely to be in the mix

It's hard enough to predict the WS winner at the end of the regular season, let alone the start!

I'm not surprised that these are the 3 favourites. If you look in the predictions thread you'll see we're all picking these 3 to win their divisions (on the most part). That's why there's love for the Dodgers winning the World Series, we know they should be in the playoffs because they're the best in their division. Makes them a lot easier to back than say the Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Rays, Braves etc

Agree that they should be favourites for the NL West. And based on being in, the pitching becomes more important. But they will struggle somewhat with a rotation of

Z. Greinke
    H. Ryu
    D. Haren
    P. Maholm
    J. Beckett

Looks good with Kershaw back in there for a 5 or 7 game series. But in the short term without Kershaw, it looks light.

Now Brian Wilson is on the DL again. Kemp cannot keep healthy. And who knows what Puig will do?

Thats true enough but I am not convinced by them, I dont think they stack up well against the Nats, Cardinals, Tigers

Great Sox games tonight. Pedroia has three hits and a web gem. Napoli has his first 4 RBI game of the game (including his first HR of the season). And of course Lackey pitched 6 strong innings.

Ha. Actually as I write this Pedroia gets another hit. 4/5 on the night. Amazing.

Ortiz has also been on three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Starting to wonder how many 1-0 games the Reds and Cardinals will play this season

Starting to wonder how many 1-0 games the Reds and Cardinals will play this season

I thought that maybe they'd switched to football when I saw those two scores.

I thought that maybe they'd switched to football when I saw those two scores.

Add in the almost 3 hour delay........a little groggy at work today

Add in the almost 3 hour delay........a little groggy at work today

Welcome to our world! I don't do it too often but having to get up for work after watching a game that starts at midnight is never good.

• Advertisement

They were actually handled it quite well......Opening night is a big deal in Cincinnati too (players walk the "Reds" carpet before the game signing autographs for fans, grounds crew wear tuxedos and they have a huge fireworks show after the game)

Since the rain didn't stop until 9:20 and they knew the game wouldn't end until after midnight, they did the fireworks show before the game while the groundscrew were prepping the infield.....it was going to take 20-25 minutes anyway, and nobody there was going to wait around after the game to watch the fireworks.

They were actually handled it quite well......Opening night is a big deal in Cincinnati too (players walk the "Reds" carpet before the game signing autographs for fans, grounds crew wear tuxedos and they have a huge fireworks show after the game)

Since the rain didn't stop until 9:20 and they knew the game wouldn't end until after midnight, they did the fireworks show before the game while the groundscrew were prepping the infield.....it was going to take 20-25 minutes anyway, and nobody there was going to wait around after the game to watch the fireworks.

Speaking of Cincinnati:

m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/04/01/bart-giamattis-son-others-weigh-in-on-pete-rose-suspension-after-25-years/

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Speaking of Cincinnati:

m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/04/01/bart-giamattis-son-others-weigh-in-on-pete-rose-suspension-after-25-years/

Don't get me started on the Pete Rose ban......it's the biggest example of the commissionars in Baseball and Football having far too much power.

Don't get me started on the Pete Rose ban......it's the biggest example of the commissionars in Baseball and Football having far too much power.

I think the thing that pushed him over the edge was betting on his own team, repeatedly. Whether it's any worse than what A-Rod has gotten up to to certainly disputable!

I think the thing that pushed him over the edge was betting on his own team, repeatedly. Whether it's any worse than what A-Rod has gotten up to to certainly disputable!

My argument, Rose did bet on Reds games, but only ever for the Reds to win (so there's no issue of fixing games)........the bottom line on the suspension is, Rose received a lifetime ban for damage that he may have done to the integrity of baseball, but guys that have most definitely damaged the intergrity of the sport get off with 50 game suspensions.

My argument, Rose did bet on Reds games, but only ever for the Reds to win (so there's no issue of fixing games)........the bottom line on the suspension is, Rose received a lifetime ban for damage that he may have done to the integrity of baseball, but guys that have most definitely damaged the intergrity of the sport get off with 50 game suspensions.

Well a few things to note:

- He was only ever CAUGHT betting to win, but breaking the rules so flagrantly, and repeatedly, makes you wonder what he didn't get caught doing.

- An argument that he was treated unfairly could also be an argument that others have been let off too easily, not just that he was treated too harshly.

I'm torn. I don't think it's not fair.

Well a few things to note:

- He was only ever CAUGHT betting to win, but breaking the rules so flagrantly, and repeatedly, makes you wonder what he didn't get caught doing.

- An argument that he was treated unfairly could also be an argument that others have been let off too easily, not just that he was treated too harshly.

I'm torn. I we'd think it's not fair.

Knowing the competitor rose is, and always was......it's almost impossible to believe that he'd ever bet for his own team to lose.

And you are correct, mine isn't really a case of whether or not what Rose did deserved his ban.....it is an issue of comparison. Players that I (and plenty of others) feel have caused much more damage to the sport, serve a 50 game suspesion and then go on with their careers as if nothing has happened.

Knowing the competitor rose is, and always was......it's almost impossible to believe that he'd ever bet for his own team to lose.

And you are correct, mine isn't really a case of whether or not what Rose did deserved his ban.....it is an issue of comparison. Players that I (and plenty of others) feel have caused much more damage to the sport, serve a 50 game suspesion and then go on with their careers as if nothing has happened.

Betting is a competition to many betting addicts, which he was. You may have faith that he was "bad" in some ways, but not in others, but... I'm certainly not as confident.

We totally agree it's not fair, considering the way doping - for example - has been handled.

Its a massive shame all 'round, considering what he brought to the game. :/

Speaking of Pete Rose, the ESPN short documentary on him, available on Grantland.com is worth a watch.

I see there's a new book out about him too.

• Advertisement

If you didn't see Pedroia's play yesterday, have a look:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcN9w

And almost everyone here would probably enjoy this fascinating article about how the Sox ended up with Xander Bogaerts:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcN33

Advertisement