Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    If you didn't see Pedroia's play yesterday, have a look:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcN9w

And almost everyone here would probably enjoy this fascinating article about how the Sox ended up with Xander Bogaerts:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcN33

Did you let it run on to see the Tulo one?!?!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Did you let it run on to see the Tulo one?!?!

I did! It was amazing as well!

I love this game :)

EDIT:

Looking at them back to back I still the Pedroia one is a touch more impressive as he had to dive and then get the ball to first from basically being flat on the ground. But. Both are worthy or being called gems alright.

Of course Pedey also went 4/5 in the game as well. ;)

Ha!

Just saw this:

http://m.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/deja-vu-0-2-yankees-blog-entry-1.1743929

Already a whif of panic in Yankees-land. Lol.

Also meant to say, check and see if your fave team has a downloadable, sync-able calendar.

The Red Sox provide an iCal link and it just slots onto my iPhone. That means I get a notice before every game and can easily see the week/month at a glance.

Very cool!

Here's the Sox page:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/schedule/downloadable.jsp?c_id=bos#iPhone

Def worth looking into!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Also meant to say, check and see if your fave team has a downloadable, sync-able calendar.

The Red Sox provide an iCal link and it just slots onto my iPhone. That means I get a notice before every game and can easily see the week/month at a glance.

Very cool!

Here's the Sox page:

Def worth looking into!

It is quite usefull.....and i think now that the team websites are all standardized, that the same feature is available for all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ha!

Just saw this:

http://m.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees/deja-vu-0-2-yankees-blog-entry-1.1743929

Already a whif of panic in Yankees-land. Lol.

You realise the NYDN is kind of like the equivalent of the Sun/Star over here? Tabloid trying to stir up a story.

Hardly groundbreaking journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,484 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very cool!

Here's the Sox page:

Def worth looking into!
    The mets do one aswell. It's very handy alright.

For those who watch the MLB.tv free game each day...........the Reds v Cardinals game that was due to start 3 hours ago, will start some time in the next hour......

4:15 start (9:15 irish time)

For those who watch the MLB.tv free game each day...........the Reds v Cardinals game that was due to start 3 hours ago, will start some time in the next hour......

Yeah saw that as I was watching the mets game. They said it was supposed to start at 12:30pm ET.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah saw that as I was watching the mets game. They said it was supposed to start at 12:30pm ET.

Yes....it was supposed to be a "getaway game".......Reds travel to New York tonight and St. Louis obviously aren't staying around.....storms have been terrible here all day.....they have about a 2-3 hour window to get it in

Can we go back and start the season again...????

Either that or import some bees to delay the games or something.

.Reds travel to New York tonight

They can stay in Cincinnati and send their Triple A team. They'll still sweep.

You seem a little down there jack.....it's ok, there's 159 games left to improve (or suffer through)

Happy birthday Jay Bruce!

so.........Reds just found their bats......after 1 run and only 9 hits in their first 2 games......they have 4 hits and 3 runs in the first inning today

You seem a little down there jack.....it's ok, there's 159 games left to improve (or suffer through)

Improve or suffer? i think it'll be the latter.

I know I'm going against everything I say on here when others rush to snap judgements after such a small sample size but this team has been awful this week. The Bullpen has an ERA of over 11 and has walked in 3 runs!

I think I'll start gambling and doing the opposite to Pete Rose and always bet against the Mets. I'll be rich in no time.

I know I'm going against everything I say on here when others rush to snap judgements after such a small sample size but this team has been awful this week. The Bullpen has an ERA of over 11 and has walked in 3 runs!

I think I'll start gambling and doing the opposite to Pete Rose and always bet against the Mets. I'll be rich in no time.
    25 years ago today sports illustrated released this issue.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19890403&mode=reader_vault

Edit: you can actually read the pete rose article aswell which is nice.

That assumes there's a bookie somewhere that likes the Mets to win. ;)

That assumes there's a bookie somewhere that likes the Mets to win. ;)

Even if their opponents are odds on, I can still make something. it'll take me longer to make enough to retire but I'll get there eventually.

• Advertisement

Red Sox are beating up Chen. 66 pitches over 4 innings, but 9 hits and 3 runs.

Bogaerts is already 2 for 2, and Middlebrooks has his first hit of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Red Sox are beating up Chen. 66 pitches over 4 innings, but 9 hits and 3 runs.

Bogaerts is already 2 for 2, and Middlebrooks has his first hit of the year.

Still tight though. Would prefer to have more of a lead after 5 innings. Only winning by one run

8-10 wrote: »
    Still tight though. Would prefer to have more of a lead after 5 innings. Only winning by one run

Winning close games is essential in baseball.

They won the series and some of the stats/outcomes are great.

- The bullpen has a 0.00 era in the first three games.

- The team has 33 hits

- Bogaerts has been an on base machine

- Papi's bat is alive and well

- Sizemore looks great

- Lackey and Lester looked great

Really, aside from barely losing game one, it was a great first series.

Re: Bogaerts:
    Bogaerts banged out three hits in the Red Sox' 4-3 win over the Baltimore Orioles Thursday night, and for the three-game series at Camden Yards, reached base eight times and scored half of the Red Sox' runs.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcNFt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think you can relax there Jack I know there has been bull pen implosions but it was against the Nats who's bats are hot as hell.

Any optimism I have had for the season has only been increased, starting pitching has been good if not great but the bats and bullpen have been pretty hot.

Desmond, Zimmerman, La Roche flying .. its going to be a long year thank god! :D:D :D:D

On a side note though your starting pitching looks good if not great.

I think you can relax there Jack I know there has been bull pen implosions but it was against the Nats who's bats are hot as hell.

Any optimism I have had for the season has only been increased, starting pitching has been good if not great but the bats and bullpen have been pretty hot.

Desmond, Zimmerman, La Roche flying .. its going to be a long year thank god! :D:D :D:D

On a side note though your starting pitching looks good if not great.

The Nats bats didn't even need to be hot though, 3 runs were walked in (4-0 counts each time). It was like having Oliver Perez pitching again.

Yeah the Mets starters look ok and there's more to come up shortly but they are not going to be able to pitch 9 innings so until the bullpen is sorted and the hitters stop striking out (33 times in 3 games!) it makes no difference.

One bit of warning on your optimism though, this time last season the Nats were 3-0 and hot as hell after sweeping the Marlins and we know what happened after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

The Nats bats didn't even need to be hot though, 3 runs were walked in (4-0 counts each time). It was like having Oliver Perez pitching again.

Yeah the Mets starters look ok and there's more to come up shortly but they are not going to be able to pitch 9 innings so until the bullpen is sorted and the hitters stop striking out (33 times in 3 games!) it makes no difference.

One bit of warning on your optimism though, this time last season the Nats were 3-0 and hot as hell after sweeping the Marlins and we know what happened after that.

Of course Jack but we cant live in the past, have to just sit here and hope we can avoid cold streaks and injuries. The Nats have improved though even from the team that was favoured last year, the bull pen is deep, the starters are deeper.

Have to have optimism right now or I would never have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I thought I saw a stat this morning when watching a re-run of the Nats Mets game that the Mets have the worst home record since 1993, only winning around 35% of their games. Is that right or was I still asleep?

It sounds incredibly low for a 20 year span where they made the playoffs 3 times.

Benimar wrote: »
    I thought I saw a stat this morning when watching a re-run of the Nats Mets game that the Mets have the worst home record since 1993, only winning around 35% of their games. Is that right or was I still asleep?

It sounds incredibly low for a 20 year span where they made the playoffs 3 times.

35% does seem low. Unless they meant against the Nationals/Expos? Washington has owned them at home the past few years.

Have to have optimism right now or I would never have it!

What does optimism feel like again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Love Thursdays. Got to watch my Dbacks against SF last night. Beautiful day in Phoenix with the roof open. Gotta love it.

p.s. Result not so. :(

Advertisement