Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The A's got swept at home by the Rangers. The Rangers are the worst team in baseball which kind of shows how far they have fallen.

It's really hard to see where to go from here for the A's. Even if they make the wildcard (which they won't unless they find some offence soon), it's hard to see how they would win a one game playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FYI to anyone interested, Bill James is talking at this:

http://websummit.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's with all the runs in Dodgers games these days? They scored 17 on Saturday, gave up 16 on Wednesday and already have 14 after 6 today. Even Kershaw gave up 3 in the first today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

The A's got swept at home by the Rangers. The Rangers are the worst team in baseball which kind of shows how far they have fallen.

It's really hard to see where to go from here for the A's. Even if they make the wildcard (which they won't unless they find some offence soon), it's hard to see how they would win a one game playoff.
    So the As did the right thing in trading for pitching but their offence has tanked since. They probably should have traded for a bat to replace Cespedes but hindsight is a great thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The A's are losing 2-0 to the Phillies in the 7th inning.

• Advertisement

Anyone know the rules for tonight's Indians/Royals game that's re-starting in the bottom of the 10th? As it's a game from August when rosters were set at 25, can they only have 25 players dressed? I presume if you were in the original game but were taken out at some stage you can't play any part tonight but what about players that aren't available anymore through injury or whatever? can you replace them with anyone else who didn't play or do you just go without?

Anyone know the rules for tonight's Indians/Royals game that's re-starting in the bottom of the 10th? As it's a game from August when rosters were set at 25, can they only have 25 players dressed? I presume if you were in the original game but were taken out at some stage you can't play any part tonight but what about players that aren't available anymore through injury or whatever? can you replace them with anyone else who didn't play or do you just go without?

Rule 4.12(c)
    (c) A suspended game shall be resumed at the exact point of suspension of the original game. The completion of a suspended game is a continuation of the original game. The lineup and batting order of both teams shall be exactly the same as the lineup and batting order at the moment of suspension, subject to the rules governing substitution. Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup.
    A player who was not with the club when the game was suspended may be used as a substitute, even if he has taken the place of a player no longer with the club who would not have been eligible because he had been removed from the lineup before the game was suspended.
    Rule 4.12(c) Comment: If immediately prior to the call of a suspended game, a substitute pitcher has been announced but has not retired the side or pitched until the batter becomes a baserunner, such pitcher, when the suspended game is later resumed may, but is not required to start the resumed portion of the game. However, if he does not start he will be considered as having been substituted for and may not be used in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rule 4.12(c)
    A player who was not with the club when the game was suspended may be used as a substitute, even if he has taken the place of a player no longer with the club who would not have been eligible because he had been removed from the lineup before the game was suspended.

Is there a rule that a player who has since left the club cannot return and play in the game for their former team?

Cool, thanks. So it's back to 25 man rosters for a half an inning then back again to 40 when the second game starts.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is there a rule that a player who has since left the club cannot return and play in the game for their former team?

I think so...Wikipedia has this
    A unique situation occurred on July 9, 2009, when the Washington Nationals traveled to Houston to face the Astros in a game that had been suspended on May 5, in the bottom of the 11th inning, in Washington. Joel Hanrahan pitched the top of the 11th for Washington, but in the interim had been traded to Pittsburgh for Nyjer Morgan; he remained the pitcher of record and earned the win when Morgan scored (he pinch-ran for Elijah Dukes, who was no longer on the Washington roster) on a throwing error by Miguel Tejada. It was the first walk-off victory for a team in an opposing stadium since 1975.[5]

• Advertisement

Well that was fun to watch. Royals nearly got it done but the Indians held on.

Brewers lose so Giants in for sure!

Apparently there could be rain in NY tonight so Jeter's last home game could be rained out would be a shame. I know they could play it Monday but if results go a certain way and playoff positions and home field are decided by Sunday, they usually wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Brewers lose so Giants in for sure!

Apparently there could be rain in NY tonight so Jeter's last home game could be rained out would be a shame. I know they could play it Monday but if results go a certain way and playoff positions and home field are decided by Sunday, they usually wouldn't bother.

Huge disappointment if that spoils the night. Here's hoping for a Ted William's like finish.

Goodbye Captain.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Huge disappointment if that spoils the night. Here's hoping for a Ted William's like finish.

Goodbye Captain.
    Almost a home run in his first at bat, maybe a foot or 2 short. Weather looks good for the send off later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Coeus wrote: »
    Almost a home run in his first at bat, maybe a foot or 2 short. Weather looks good for the send off later...

It's been a while since I've jumped up shouting in excitement while watching the Yankees! Nice way to forget that we were eliminated yesterday.

Not a bad way to go out.

Not a bad way to go out.
    Yep, it's almost like it was scripted for him! I wonder how much he'll play in Boston now as it will be hard to top last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yep, it's almost like it was scripted for him! I wonder how much he'll play in Boston now as it will be hard to top last night!

I don't need to go to the previous page, I know you are talking about Jeter. Incredible stuff last night. Originally, I thought that he would take to the field at Fenway for one game but last night was the perfect ending to his career, wasn't it. Happy to say that I saw him play many times in the flesh.

The AL Wildcard has gone down to the wire - Mariners can force a tie break against the A's if they win and the A's lose.

It's crazy that after 161 games it all comes down to the last game. (Not forgetting of course that the AL and NL Central are also to be decided today).

The AL Wildcard has gone down to the wire - Mariners can force a tie break against the A's if they win and the A's lose.

It's crazy that after 161 games it all comes down to the last game. (Not forgetting of course that the AL and NL Central are also to be decided today).

yeah, great day of baseball ahead. All day games too which makes it better so plenty of flicking over between NFL/MLB tonight.

• Advertisement

I think all games on MLB.TV are free today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Zimmerman has a no-hitter going in Washington, through 8, if anyone reads this, doesn't realise and wants to watch the last inning and his bid.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Zimmerman has a no-hitter going in Washington, through 8, if anyone reads this, doesn't realise and wants to watch the last inning and his bid.

What a catch to seal it!

mod9maple wrote: »
    think he owes that rookie outfielder a beer for that catch.

Nats starting pitching looking really good going into the playoffs!

Nats starting pitching looking really good going into the playoffs!

Exactly. And someone like Roark's who has been lights out is going to go to the pen. They're the team to beat on the NL I'd say.

Advertisement