Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Right, it's all over!
    Time to move on!
    All pre-season chat in here regarding trades, managerial appointments, Tommy John Procedures etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

One of the most interesting acquisitions occured back in September.
    The Astros appointed Baseball Prospectus contributor, Kevin Goldstein, to their scouting department.
    It will be interesting to analyze their trades and draft day going forward.

There will also be a raft of Closers on the market.
    Soria, Madson coming back from injury and Soriano will be leaving the Yankees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Boston has finally gotten rid of Bobby Valentine a few weeks back, thank god!

They have now hired John Farrell formerly of the Toronto Blue Jays as replacement, and is looking to rebuild this year and get back to the post season. Kinda like Liverpool, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Hi guys not a big poster here, heading to the west coasts of the states next Aug on my honeymoon and hoping to get a game in.
    Do you know when the MLB Schedule is released and if it will be hard to get tickets for the SF giants on account of them winning the World Series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Hi guys not a big poster here, heading to the west coasts of the states next Aug on my honeymoon and hoping to get a game in.
    Do you know when the MLB Schedule is released and if it will be hard to get tickets for the SF giants on account of them winning the World Series

Here's the Giants schedule for next season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/sf/year/2013/san-francisco-giants

They have a good support regardless of how they do but you'll normally be always able to get a ticket for some game. If it's against a big rival or something, you might struggle but even then there should be tickets available for midweek days games and you could always try Stubhub

Cheers pal, again silly question for a non baseball fan here, in the fixture is when its @ Miami its away Yes ??
    In San Fran from the 18-22 Aug and it looks like there playing the Boston Red Sox 3 nights. Can you get a single ticket for one night/match ??

• Advertisement

Nah regular season is April - September with playoffs starting first week in October

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Cheers pal, again silly question for a non baseball fan here, in the fixture is when its @ Miami its away Yes ??
    In San Fran from the 18-22 Aug and it looks like there playing the Boston Red Sox 3 nights. Can you get a single ticket for one night/match ??

Yes, either through the MLB website or Stubhub. If you know the game you want and keep an eye out for when the tickets go on sale, you will pick up a single ticket no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This will be the Cubs year!!! :D

Benimar wrote: »
    Yes, either through the MLB website or Stubhub. If you know the game you want and keep an eye out for when the tickets go on sale, you will pick up a single ticket no problem.

Cheers pal thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mikemac1 wrote: »
    This will be the Cubs year!!! :D

:D indeed! Stay away from the bookies with large sums of money...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Marlins ownership showing yet again they dont care about their fans or the people of Miami who funded their new stadium :(

The Jays must be sensing weakness in the AL East and have finally decided to make some big moves to upgrade their roster. Will be interesting to see how much of these salaries they have taken on as it doesn't look like the they have given up much talent...

All I can say is, it can't be easy being a Marlin Fans. :(

I don't know which site I read it on this morning but they were saying that it is a Marlins policy not to allow no trade clauses in contracts so last season, Pujols with a good bit of foresight probably saw something like this happening and that could have been one of the reasons he didn't go to Miami.

I know Stanton is annoyed as he's the only one of their stars left (for the moment anyway!) but I wonder how The traded players feel about it? When he signed last year Reyes said he wanted to be the top paid player on the roster even if it was only by a dollar so all seems to care about is money so probably wouldn't mind playing in Alaska if he got to go home to his millions in the evenings but I wonder what the others think.

I don't know which site I read it on this morning but they were saying that it is a Marlins policy not to allow no trade clauses in contracts so last season, Pujols with a good bit of foresight probably saw something like this happening and that could have been one of the reasons he didn't go to Miami.

I know Stanton is annoyed as he's the only one of their stars left (for the moment anyway!) but I wonder how The traded players feel about it? When he signed last year Reyes said he wanted to be the top paid player on the roster even if it was only by a dollar so all seems to care about is money so probably wouldn't mind playing in Alaska if he got to go home to his millions in the evenings but I wonder what the others think.

I don't know, Man. But they have to at least expect it. Playing for the Marlins isn't exactly the most secure in Baseball. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Like my Father said (A Big Tigers Fan), even if you've signed a long-term contract with the Marlins, don't you even dare think about buying a House!

I mean, this is the team that went on a firesale of it's players, following the season it won the World Series (1997, 2003). So it's not beyond the stretch of the imagination, that they would dump their expensive players after a dismal season.

As a Red Sox and a Liverpool Fan, I can understand why the management did what it did, but their continued lack of continuity still remains. And like I've said before, being a Marlins Fan is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Trade just described as a 'Disgrace' on Mike and Mike in the Morning.

Apparently they now have $0 committed to their 2014 roster

Am I the only Blue Jays fan on here? If not, how do you feel about this trade?

I'm not sure Alex keeps Beuhrle, he might shift him yet for another piece. Johnson is a great acquisition, Buck we've had before and is a competent catcher with some power, Bonifacio is versatile and speedy, and as for Reyes...

Well he's certainly fun to watch, has a few tools alright, but I'm undecided. Time will tell.

The only player I really mind going the other way is Marisnick. I'd also like to have seen how Hech developed but so be it.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Am I the only Blue Jays fan on here? If not, how do you feel about this trade?

I'm not sure Alex keeps Beuhrle, he might shift him yet for another piece. Johnson is a great acquisition, Buck we've had before and is a competent catcher with some power, Bonifacio is versatile and speedy, and as for Reyes...

Well he's certainly fun to watch, has a few tools alright, but I'm undecided. Time will tell.

The only player I really mind going the other way is Marisnick. I'd also like to have seen how Hech developed but so be it.

And now they've signed Melky Cabrera. How do you feel about that?

Tbh not at all pleased.

• Advertisement

Tbh not at all pleased.

Thank god, it was your Jays that signed him up. :p

He was being linked to the Red Sox, and I don't want him there. Not that he was bad, he's actually competent even without the use of steroids. But we're kinda fragile right now, and him being there, might prove disastrous to our re-building plans.

I just hope he comes good for you, in the coming season. :D

If you can get over the fact he is a drugs cheat who got caught this is a good deal (2 years @ 16M) for the Jays if he can perform like he did in last season without the juice.

The Jays are really going for it next season in what I think will be a wide open AL East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I have to say, I'm lost without the baseball. The "MLB.tv" bookmark is collecting dust.

Who would have thought that the Jay's would have possibly the best line-up in the AL East? It's going to be very interesting to see what happens, although I can see them really paying for this down the line. Hopefully they will get a better turnout at games now they have the star names.

It's too early to start worrying but as a Yankees fan it doesn't look great. Hiroki Kuroda wants to return to California where his children are in school. Looks like Rafael Soriano will be leaving with the return of Mariano Rivera. Swisher will probably leave. Who knows if Ichiro will be resigned. Russel Martin will be resigned I hope. Granderson has and I'm not sure what to make of that. Pettite will hopefully return for the next season. Jeter will be coming off his broken ankle. A-Rod is A-Rod post-drugs.

On a random note: does anyone ever notice the older woman who is always behind home plate at the Jays games?

Where do the Marlins go from this?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    On a random note: does anyone ever notice the older woman who is always behind home plate at the Jays games?

Yes, I do. If you watch enough Toronto games you can't miss her. She's a permanent fixture, must be a season ticket holder. Fair play to her, I'm envious.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm lost without the baseball. The "MLB.tv" bookmark is collecting dust.

We'll have the WBC this Spring to look forward to although I didn't follow it the last time so don't know is it any use. It'll be better than Spring Training games though

Gibbons for Blue Jays manager - I didn't see that one coming! Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't...? And I don't think AA is finished dealing yet.

Not much else going on round the league, lots of rumours but no big splashes yet.

Not much else going on round the league, lots of rumours but no big splashes yet.

I suppose it'll all kick off at the Winter meetings (Dec 3-6)

Gibbons for Blue Jays manager - I didn't see that one coming! Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't...?
    Indeed! Be thankful Jim Tracy didn't get the job as he was interviewed for the position...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Hiroki Kuroda has agreed to come back to the Yankees. $15 million for one year. Big money but great news for any Yankee fan. He was fantastic this year and was probably the Yankees best pitcher.

• Advertisement

So it looks like another players' career year is down to the juice :rolleyes:

Chooch Ruiz has been handed a 25-game suspension to be served at the start of next season. Not sure why he dont get the 50 games like the rest of them...

Advertisement