Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Coeus wrote: »
    Pitchers aside these lineups are probably not far off the real opening day lineups.

Alot more frontline players in the starting lineups today than I expected.

That's expected this season with the WBC breaking up spring training.....most managers and players want to get their innings in early with their teammates before players start to leave for the WBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

any free mlb tv/network streaming in the pre-season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

any free mlb tv/network streaming in the pre-season?

None today but I'm sure there will be as we get through March.

It's good having baseball back, even if it is only Spring training and by the time we get to the 5th/6th inning we're watching scrubs who we won't see again once April comes.

I remember a game last season where the commentators didn't know who a player was playing for the Cards in a spring training game so the caption just said 'minor league player'.

I know it's only spring training but Jason Bay just hit a home run for the Mariners. If he turns good after stinking out for the Mets for the past 3 years, I'll go mad. Especially as the Mets are still paying him $15m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

None today but I'm sure there will be as we get through March.

It's good having baseball back, even if it is only Spring training and by the time we get to the 5th/6th inning we're watching scrubs who we won't see again once April comes.

I remember a game last season where the commentators didn't know who a player was playing for the Cards in a spring training game so the caption just said 'minor league player'.
    Yea, I remember that guy. He is actually ranked as the Cards top prospect and should be promoted to the big show during the season
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130129&content_id=41247916&c_id=stl

• Advertisement

anyone here stream MLB TV through their Playstation/XBox (once I buy one :-) )?

Thinking of doing that this season. any issues?

Granderson out until May.....I blame the announcers, I was watching the game yesterday and they were talking about players that aren't expected to make the big league roster, and how you never know what could happen during spring training that may give you the opportunity to get that last roster spot........**PLUNK**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Hi lads,

Just going of topic for a few moments, regarding tickets so the teams ship tickets to Ireland. Im heading to San Fran in August and want to catch a game.
    Also where is the best position to watch a game? I had a look on the Giants site and there are tickets available in the upper reserve infield but its over the batters head.(no chance of catching a foul ball)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

anyone here stream MLB TV through their Playstation/XBox (once I buy one :-) )?

Thinking of doing that this season. any issues?

I bought a single month for the xbox during last summer and had no issues, was watching some games live some the next day

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Just going of topic for a few moments, regarding tickets so the teams ship tickets to Ireland. Im heading to San Fran in August and want to catch a game.
    Also where is the best position to watch a game? I had a look on the Giants site and there are tickets available in the upper reserve infield but its over the batters head.(no chance of catching a foul ball)

Most clubs have the 'print at home' option so you get sent a pdf of your ticket as soon as you order. So no need to queue up or anything when you get there.

• Advertisement

I don't know how this affects ESPNA's baseball coverage but the line about BT running 'at least one ESPN channel' worries me a bit if all their ESPN content is on one channel.

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/

Reds signed Shin Soo-Choo to address their leadoff issues......update so far.....Choo has lead off in 3 of their 4 games, has reached base all 3 times, and has scored all 3 times........go reds!

Also.....update on the Joey Votto knee.......everyone can stop panicking.......Joey has just hit his first HR since surgery last June......opposite field and it still hasn't landed.

Reds signed Shin Soo-Choo to address their leadoff issues......update so far.....Choo has lead off in 3 of their 4 games, has reached base all 3 times, and has scored all 3 times........go reds!

Also.....update on the Joey Votto knee.......everyone can stop panicking.......Joey has just hit his first HR since surgery last June......opposite field and it still hasn't landed.

Are you seriously getting excited about player performances in late February or is the excitement of having baseball back just clouding your judgement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Are you seriously getting excited about player performances in late February or is the excitement of having baseball back just clouding your judgement?

The letters 'SSS' spring to mind.

I know it's only spring training.....but i'm happier to see guys getting good numbers, rather than not touching a ball all spring.

As far as Votto is concerned, it was no secret that after his injury, he didn't have the strength in his legs to hit the long ball......even in spring training, it's a huge relief, and achievement in his rehab to see him put one over the fence, especially to left field.

I know it's only spring training.....but i'm happier to see guys getting good numbers, rather than not touching a ball all spring.

As far as Votto is concerned, it was no secret that after his injury, he didn't have the strength in his legs to hit the long ball......even in spring training, it's a huge relief, and achievement in his rehab to see him put one over the fence, especially to left field.

Fair enough, but not only is it Spring Training, it's about 2-3 days into Spring Training games where pitchers are only feeling out their stuff or might be testing a new pitch or something and might be throwing all curves, or all fast balls etc.

Sure Ruben Tejada hit a home run off Stephen Strasburg on Saturday. If that happens at any time in the regular season, I will run around outside my house naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

As a Blue Jays fan who got excited by their spring training peformance last year, believe me when I say numbers in spring are completely and utterly meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Most clubs have the 'print at home' option so you get sent a pdf of your ticket as soon as you order. So no need to queue up or anything when you get there.

Thanks Jack for your help, just purchased two tickets Giants v Red Sox. Cant wait.

Reds today signed Mark Prior to a minor league contract.....the move baffles me.

He may have been a 1st round pick out of college, but hasn't pitched in the majors since 2006 and only has 35 minor league appearances since.

Reds today signed Mark Prior to a minor league contract.....the move baffles me.

He may have been a 1st round pick out of college, but hasn't pitched in the majors since 2006 and only has 35 minor league appearances since.

Minor league contract, nothing to lose. Won't cost the Reds a penny if he doesn't make the roster. Why not try him out?

• Advertisement

Having gotten into the Cubs while doing a J1 in Chicago in 2003, and now stuck with them, I have a soft spot for Prior. He should have been elite....
    I really hope it works, and by works, I just mean I dont want it to be a disaster...

Guys!
    Newbie MLB.TV question.
    Got it the other day. Looking to stream it through the PS3 but I can't seem to find the MLB.TV 2013 App to download to the PS3 on the PlayStation Store.
    Not sure it has been released yet...they need to release a new app every year?
    I can stream MLB.tv on the laptop alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Guys!
    Newbie MLB.TV question.
    Got it the other day. Looking to stream it through the PS3 but I can't seem to find the MLB.TV 2013 App to download to the PS3 on the PlayStation Store.
    Not sure it has been released yet...they need to release a new app every year?
    I can stream MLB.tv on the laptop alright

I have no idea I'm afraid but what I do know is that they haven't updated the Apple TV App so even though I can watch Spring Training on the computer, I can't through Apple TV yet. Not that I particularly want to, very little interest in Spring Training games excepting watching choice innings of a few pitchers here and there.

8-10 wrote: »
    I have no idea I'm afraid but what I do know is that they haven't updated the Apple TV App so even though I can watch Spring Training on the computer, I can't through Apple TV yet. Not that I particularly want to, very little interest in Spring Training games excepting watching choice innings of a few pitchers here and there.

I think it was the same last year with the Apple TV. i can't remember the exact date they became available but I do remember there being no games on the Apple Tv at the beginning of Spring Training last season

Watching a small bit of Philly and a very strong Dominican Rep.

15-1 to DR so far!

Now, I know Spring Training isn't THAT serious, but Cole Hamels, 2.2 IP - 12 H - 8 R - 0 BB - 3 K - 1 HR - 27.00 ERA

Nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Mark Teixeira out for 8-10 weeks with a strained wrist. Problems for the Yankees mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Benimar wrote: »
    Mark Teixeira out for 8-10 weeks with a strained wrist. Problems for the Yankees mount.
    Their nightmare from last years postseason just goes on. I make that $60M plus they are paying 3 of their players who will start the season on the DL.

Contrast that with the Royals this spring training. They won again today and are now 11-0 in Cactus league games.

Their nightmare from last years postseason just goes on. I make that $60M plus they are paying 3 of their players who will start the season on the DL.

Contrast that with the Royals this spring training. They won again today and are now 11-0 in Cactus league games.

Yeah but you have to look at more than just the record in spring training......for example, the Royals beat the Giants on saturday......but only because they scored 4 runs against a pitcher that won't get anywhere near the big leagues for at least another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It's all down to the pitching now. People who always complained about the Yankees and their Home Runs won't have to anymore. It's going to be small-ball for April at least.

This could be a realllllllly long season for the Yankees. Andy Pettitte is the oldest starter in the MLB, what's the chances of him spending time on the DL? Very high. Plus, the Yankees play the Blue Jays 9 times in the first month.

I'm not 100% convinced by the Blue Jays, though. It didn't work with the Marlins when they did this kind of trading, and the same players are now in Toronto. Melky isn't on the PED's anymore and Dickey is a pitcher who is 38.

• Advertisement

I don't know what their CF solution will be, but I imagine with Teix going down, Youk will start the season at 1st base and the AAA shortstop prospect that has played most of spring training in Jeters place will slide over to 3rd.....they seem pretty high on the guy and he's definitely capable, he came up as a 3rd baseman and they moved him to short to eventually become Jeter's replacement.

Advertisement