Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I can guarantee that whatever outfield that ends up playing opening day for the Yankees, it will still be better than the trio that'll be put out by the Mets (currently looking like it'll be Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd and Colin Cowgill - not exactly going to put the fear into any starting pitcher).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I can guarantee that whatever outfield that ends up playing opening day for the Yankees, it will still be better than the trio that'll be put out by the Mets (currently looking like it'll be Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd and Colin Cowgill - not exactly going to put the fear into any starting pitcher).

It will..the Mets starting pitcher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yeah but you have to look at more than just the record in spring training......for example, the Royals beat the Giants on saturday......but only because they scored 4 runs against a pitcher that won't get anywhere near the big leagues for at least another 2 years.
    This makes it even more remarkable that a team can go 11-0 to start spring when all teams are mixing and matching their lineups so much. Anyway I jinxed them as they have gone and lost today.
    MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    It's all down to the pitching now. People who always complained about the Yankees and their Home Runs won't have to anymore. It's going to be small-ball for April at least.

This could be a realllllllly long season for the Yankees. Andy Pettitte is the oldest starter in the MLB, what's the chances of him spending time on the DL? Very high. Plus, the Yankees play the Blue Jays 9 times in the first month.
    You forgot about the Youk, he is sure to spend some time on the DL aswell. Hasn't he already been missing games in spring training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Amazing to see Italy beat Mexico in the WBC........everyone loves an underdog.

Nice game going on now between Taiwan and Japan. I've tuned in and Taiwan were 2 up in the top of the 8th but Japan have just levelled it up.

• Advertisement

Nice game going on now between Taiwan and Japan. I've tuned in and Taiwan were 2 up in the top of the 8th but Japan have just levelled it up.

Well the bigger shock is that the Netherlands beat Cuba lastnight......Cuba have a hole to dig their way out of and the Netherlands have given themselves a chance to make the semi-final

PS......Double-elimination gives me a headache

Well the bigger shock is that the Netherlands beat Cuba lastnight......Cuba have a hole to dig their way out of and the Netherlands have given themselves a chance to make the semi-final

PS......Double-elimination gives me a headache

Taiwan just back in front. I'm not sure how I feel about double elimination to be honest. I haven't really followed many tournaments (in any sport) where they use it to be honest.

I agree the Dutch beating the Cubans was a huge shock. I'd like to see them do well. At least their players are from the Netherlands or from Dutch islands in the Caribbean. Look at the Italian team. They are worse than Jack Charlton's Irish teams - Great grandfathers etc.

Taiwan just back in front. I'm not sure how I feel about double elimination to be honest. I haven't really followed many tournaments (in any sport) where they use it to be honest.

I agree the Dutch beating the Cubans was a huge shock. I'd like to see them do well. At least their players are from the Netherlands or from Dutch islands in the Caribbean. Look at the Italian team. They are worse than Jack Charlton's Irish teams - Great grandfathers etc.

Double elimintation is much easier to follow after the first set of games. Both winners Netherlands and Japan will now play each other, with the winner going to the semi-final.........Cuba and Taipei will play each other, the loser of that game will be out, and the winner will play the loser of the Netherlands-Japan game for the second semi-final spot.

We could very easily see Cuba against Netherlands again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Coeus wrote: »
    You forgot about the Youk, he is sure to spend some time on the DL aswell. Hasn't he already been missing games in spring training.

He has. It was something minor, but still.

And now they beat Canada, these guys are world beaters :) That said the Canadian pitching was poor today.

• Advertisement

Don't know when over the past few days they appeared but spring training games are now on the Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Don't know when over the past few days they appeared but spring training games are now on the Apple TV.

Yep I noticed on Saturday. Watched a bit of Orioles at Fenway South. My 50" Full HD screen I got in the January sales is finally coming to life! Can't wait for real baseball.

8-10 wrote: »

Can't wait for real baseball.
    I know it's not 'real' baseball in the true sense but I'm really enjoying some of the WBC games. The Japan v Chinese Taipei and USA v Canada games were great with plenty of tension and excitement. I haven't seen the Dom Republic play yet but their line up looks very exciting.

I know it's not 'real' baseball in the true sense but I'm really enjoying some of the WBC games. The Japan v Chinese Taipei and USA v Canada games were great with plenty of tension and excitement. I haven't seen the Dom Republic play yet but their line up looks very exciting.

Oh yes true, I was just referring to Spring Training. Hoping Netherlands can close out this game v Cuba, would be great to see!

Oh yes true, I was just referring to Spring Training. Hoping Netherlands can close out this game v Cuba, would be great to see!
    In work so can't watch but following the score. It looks like its a good game. 4-4 now in the 6th

Fantastic win for the Netherlands......don't think anyone would have made a bet before the tournament that they would beat Cuba twice.

Roy Halladay had a dismal outing yesterday. Have to say it's not looking promising that he'll go back to pre-2012 Roy. :(

Still my favourite active player though. Watching him pitch on form is a real joy. Fingers crossed it happens for him this year.

Roy Halladay had a dismal outing yesterday. Have to say it's not looking promising that he'll go back to pre-2012 Roy. :(

Still my favourite active player though. Watching him pitch on form is a real joy. Fingers crossed it happens for him this year.

He's only pitched 11 innings so I'm not worried about his issue with his fastball being slower than last year (it's been declining every season for the last 3 years), but his control of pitches is something to be concerned about, if you watch the big hits that did the damage, most of them the catcher was set up knee high and Halladay threw it in belt high.........anyone that is more than a casual follower knows that if you throw in a fastball belt high, just about any player in the game can crush it.

He's only pitched 11 innings so I'm not worried about his issue with his fastball being slower than last year (it's been declining every season for the last 3 years), but his control of pitches is something to be concerned about, if you watch the big hits that did the damage, most of them the catcher was set up knee high and Halladay threw it in belt high.........anyone that is more than a casual follower knows that if you throw in a fastball belt high, just about any player in the game can crush it.

Yes and control is the strongest point of his game. However the fact he's coming off a bad season means it would be surprising if he wasn't trying to throw slightly differently in spring so maybe it's that too. Won't be overly concerned until he's a few starts in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

lL2UEA9.jpg

I'm guessing he'll wear a cup from now on. If he even needs it anymore.

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    That is a great shot, captures the pain of the incident. Pitch was probably thrown with some heat aswell coming from Verlander...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Collins was pissed that he wasn't wearing one from the start.

Masked Man wrote: »

Most players say that cups are too uncomfortable baserunning and when the have to dive to field a ball.........but I say a 90+ MPH fastball to the nads is a slight bit more uncomfortable :eek:

Most players say that cups are too uncomfortable baserunning and when the have to dive to field a ball.........but I say a 90+ MPH fastball to the nads is a slight bit more uncomfortable :eek:
    This is Jordany Valdespin we're talking about. I don't think he'll be on base enough to worry about baserunning........!!!!

Pulled after 1 inning today. Phillies say he had a stomach virus but apparently his velocity was down again. He didn't give up any runs though.

Paddy Power have Stanton at 30/1 to be MLB HR leader and 11/1 to be NL HR leader...for those of you so inclined.

I don't think he'll get much more than he did last year......he won't get as many strikes now that the Marlins line-up has been gutted. It's amazing that he hit 37 last season, playing half of his games in that joke of a ballpark.

IMO, he'll be lucky to break 40.

I don't think he'll get much more than he did last year......he won't get as many strikes now that the Marlins line-up has been gutted. It's amazing that he hit 37 last season, playing half of his games in that joke of a ballpark.

IMO, he'll be lucky to break 40.

Most people seem to project over 40 and more than anyone else. Bill James, Steam, Oliver, RotoChamp, Zips all have over 40 and leading the majors in 2013, I posted about it in the gambling thread.

He hits homers. Will it be the most? His 37 last year was 2nd in the NL only playing 123 games. 11/1 is a terrific price with the likes of Pujols, Cabrera, Fielder, Bautista, Granderson all in a different league.

Also he had 121 less at bats than Miggy last year. 30/1 seems way undervalued to me. Again I'm not suggesting he's the definite winner, but you gotta say he'll be closer than a 30/1 shot surely?

Most people seem to project over 40 and more than anyone else. Bill James, Steam, Oliver, RotoChamp, Zips all have over 40 and leading the majors in 2013, I posted about it in the gambling thread.

He hits homers. Will it be the most? His 37 last year was 2nd in the NL only playing 123 games. 11/1 is a terrific price with the likes of Pujols, Cabrera, Fielder, Bautista, Granderson all in a different league.

Also he had 121 less at bats than Miggy last year. 30/1 seems way undervalued to me. Again I'm not suggesting he's the definite winner, but you gotta say he'll be closer than a 30/1 shot surely?

I agree 30/1 odds are way off......but I do think that the bookies are expecting him to suffer from the lineup.

As a matter of interest (i can't look up any bookie sites at work) what are the NL odds for Jay Bruce......with votto out of the lineup for 1/4 of the season and no leadoff batter to be seen, Bruce didn't get much to hit, but still finished 3rd in the NL in HR, and his HR total has increased every season since his rookie year. Was only 3 behind Stanton last year

• Advertisement

I agree 30/1 odds are way off......but I do think that the bookies are expecting him to suffer from the lineup.

As a matter of interest (i can't look up any bookie sites at work) what are the NL odds for Jay Bruce......with votto out of the lineup for 1/4 of the season and no leadoff batter to be seen, Bruce didn't get much to hit, but still finished 3rd in the NL in HR, and his HR total has increased every season since his rookie year. Was only 3 behind Stanton last year

Both Bruce and Ryan Howard are 30/1 overall and 11/1 for NL. The fact they have Howard at the same price as Stanton and Bruce shows how off it is, I agree Jay is the most likely NL rival. PP have Adrian Gonzales favourite

Advertisement