Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Coeus wrote: »

Speaking of overpaying I think the Royal have been had by the Rays in the Shields/Davis for prospects trade...

Yeah, it looks that way. Wil Myers is one of, if not the best outfield prospect so to give him up means they really were desperate for pitching. Just a pity the Mets didn't trick them into taking Dickey for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Yeah, it looks that way. Wil Myers is one of, if not the best outfield prospect so to give him up means they really were desperate for pitching. Just a pity the Mets didn't trick them into taking Dickey for him

Similarities to the Reds-Padres trade, sending Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (Ranked 1st and 4th among the Reds prostpects at the time) for Mat Latos.

Alonso was blocked at first base by Votto, and Grandal was 1 of 2 catching prospects for the Reds (who will start this season with a 50 game suspension)

It looked like the Reds gave up a whole lot, but after just one season, they seem to have benefited more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Similarities to the Reds-Padres trade, sending Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (Ranked 1st and 4th among the Reds prostpects at the time) for Mat Latos.

Alonso was blocked at first base by Votto, and Grandal was 1 of 2 catching prospects for the Reds (who will start this season with a 50 game suspension)

It looked like the Reds gave up a whole lot, but after just one season, they seem to have benefited more.
    Didn't the Reds get 4 years control of Latos? And were much closer to contending, having been in the playoffs the year before. The Royals will have to find a way to get past the Tigers who still have a better starting rotation and batting lineup...

While I agree the Royals had to make such a move, they needed to get more in return for Myers/prospects or give up less to get Shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Anyone ever go to spring training?
    Are there only 2 options? Cactus or Grapefruit League?

I was at a game once back when I was a kid when the family went to Orlando for a holiday. It was more by accident than anything that I ended up at a game. I was only 12 (25+ years ago now) and and there was a theme park called 'Boardwalk and Baseball' that combined roller coasters with baseball themed stuff and one of the MLB teams had their spring training base there. I can't even remember which teams i saw but I think it might have been Kansas City and Cincinnati but I could be wrong. Anyway there was about 5 people in the crowd and I hadn't a clue what was going on so i left after about 10 minutes and went back to the roller coasters. Spring training has come a long way since then with teams actively promoting their schedules and luring people into taking trips to see the games.

As for your other questions, yeah there are only the 2 leagues with the Arizona one growing and more and more teams moving out that way. Apparently the stadiums are fairly close to each other there so teams don't spend hours travelling to games. In Florida they seem to be split into east Florida and west Florida teams so the choice of opposition is limited. The Mets, for example sem to play the same 3-4 teams about 5 times each whereas in Arizona you can get more variety

• Advertisement

Cactus league is quickly leaving the grapefruit league in the dust. Many of the grapefruit league facilities are decades old. The cactus league facilities are much newer and developed with fans in mind, going to games is the same in both leagues, but the practice facilities are much more fan friendly if you want to see some of the workout (which gives you the best autograph chances)

As a contrast, the Yankees are still in florida, they have their gameday field, 2 full size practice fields and their gym.

The Reds in Arizona have their gameday field, their practice fields are shared with the Indians BUT, there's 12 full sized fields (one is the exact same dimensions as Great American Ballpark), 4 infield only fields, covered pitching lanes, a full clubhouse and gym. All of the fields have concourses with plenty of space around them for fans to watch whats going on.

Nice one guys! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page linked below you'll see the final tables from the two leagues from earlier this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/exhibition.jsp?ymd=20121003

All teams will give you info and promotion offers on their schedules. This is the Blue Jays' for next year as one example:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/spring_training/home.jsp?c_id=tor

If you want an idea of the difference......lookup Cincinnati Reds, South Wood Blvd, Goodyear, AZ and New York Yankees, 1 Steinbrenner Drive, Tampa, FL on google maps.

Looks like the Reds have locked up Ryan Ludwick for another 2 years. Good choice for him, his career almost died when he went to the big ballpark in San Diego, his HR numbers shot right back up last season in Cincinnati. That just leaves their leadoff/CF issues to be resolved. Rumours are that they have initiated talks with Colorado for Dexter Fowler. Scott Rolen hasn't decided whether or not he will be playing next season but I think that even if he does he will be a bench player.

Right now their opening day lineup would probably be.

Brandon Phillips 2B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Drew Stubbs CF
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher Spot.

Starting Rotation

Johnny Cueto
    Mat Latos
    Bronson Arroyo
    Homer Bailey
    Aroldis Chapman

Quoting my own post....but I'm a giggly excited fan......Reds lineup just got remarkable better.

Shin Soo-Choo CF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Zach Cozart SS
    Ryan Hanigan C
    Pitcher

• Advertisement

Quoting my own post....but I'm a giggly excited fan......Reds lineup just got remarkable better.

Shin Soo-Choo CF
    Looks like ye guys and Indians did well out of this trade but what was Arizona thinking...

Coeus......Dbacks have been looking for a long term SS for a while now, Gregorius, apart from having an awesome name, is ready defensively to be an above average everyday MLB SS......offensively he's nearly there, he has a sweet swing, just needs to work on pitch selection.

Good news for the Dbacks is he's only 22 (23 by spring training) and already has 5 season in the minors, and the Dbacks have him under control for 6 years. He has the potential to turn into the face of that team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24515793&topic_id=6479266&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_24515793&v=3

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25493939&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_25493939&v=3

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20139029&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_20139029&v=3

Coeus......Dbacks have been looking for a long term SS for a while now, Gregorius, apart from having an awesome name, is ready defensively to be an above average everyday MLB SS......offensively he's nearly there, he has a sweet swing, just needs to work on pitch selection.

Good news for the Dbacks is he's only 22 (23 by spring training) and already has 5 season in the minors, and the Dbacks have him under control for 6 years. He has the potential to turn into the face of that team.
    To be honest I know nothing of Gregorius but my surprise is that Asdrubal was not in the package for Bauer. They really sold low on the guy...

To be honest I know nothing of Gregorius but my surprise is that Asdrubal was not in the package for Bauer. They really sold low on the guy...

That's where the years of control comes in, Cabrera will be a FA in 2015 and if he keeps playing like he is now, will probably be subject to a bidding war that Arizona can't win......they weren't going to give up their top prospect for a shortstop for 2 years. Gregorius won't be a FA until 2019

Listening to podcasts from last year, it seemed like Bauer was going to the future along with the other Dbacks pitching prospects... but sometime last season his attitude got bad (maybe he's always had a bad attitude).

So much so, that the Dbacks were willing to sell low on him?

Maybe rockonollie is right and they are getting a sh1t hot SS in the long run...

Bauer will probably be very good, but reports are that he's butted heads with management, coaches and catchers......which doesn't bode well.

I saw him pitch in Cincinnati this summer, his warm up takes about 2 hours and involves throwing from one foul pole to the other.

As for Gregorius, there's no doubt about his fielding ability.....just needs the bat to catch up, that said, he batted an even .300 as a september call-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Any opinions on Youk to the Yankees?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

....one year for $12m, just like every other deal the Yankees have done this offseason. I suppose it's all part of the plan to get under the salary cap for next season.

That's where the years of control comes in, Cabrera will be a FA in 2015 and if he keeps playing like he is now, will probably be subject to a bidding war that Arizona can't win......they weren't going to give up their top prospect for a shortstop for 2 years. Gregorius won't be a FA until 2019
    Apparently the Indians wanted Bauer and Tyler Skaggs for Asdrubal, that was never going to happen...
    As for Gregorius, there's no doubt about his fielding ability.....just needs the bat to catch up, that said, he batted an even .300 as a september call-up
    Good defensive shortstops can be hard to come by so maybe Arizona decided to cut their loses with Bauer and get a guy they like to fill a need...

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

Fills a need.....with Arod out for at least the first 2-3 months of the season, they needed a solid hitting 3B, they have that in Youk. After Arod comes back, he and Youk are interchangeable at 3B/DH which will also help to preserve Arod's health.

Good deal seeing as Youk turned down $13m from the Red Sox a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Time to run and hide? Or another season of a high price team going bust.

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I hope it works out for him in LA. He seems like a decent enough bloke so I hope he continues to hit.

Having said that, it'll be interesting in year 5 to see how he and Albert are hitting.

I hope it works out for him in LA. He seems like a decent enough bloke so I hope he continues to hit.

Well I just bought my tickets for opening night in Cincinnati.....can't make opening day this season, so I guess I'll have te settle for his second game with the Angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Projected Angels lineup

CF Trout
    3B Callaspo
    1B Pujols
    RF Hamilton
    LF Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    DH Morales
    C Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I actually like your line-up. Hell, I'd trade Red Sox's painfully average one for yours. But for some reason, your Manager cannot seem to get the most out of them.

At the start of the 2011-2012 Season, your Team was picked as the favorites to win the World Series and you didn't even make the playoffs. :p

Before doing any Trades, I think you should change your Manager first.

After Hamilton signing earlier, it looks Anibal Sanchez may be on his way to the Cubs...and I thought they were in full-on rebuild mode...

I actually like your line-up. Hell, I'd trade Red Sox's painfully average one for yours. But for some reason, your Manager cannot seem to get the most out of them.

At the start of the 2011-2012 Season, your Team was picked as the favorites to win the World Series and you didn't even make the playoffs. :p

Before doing any Trades, I think you should change your Manager first.

Just to avoid confusion and accusations.....Angels are not my team.....I'm a Reds fan through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

After Hamilton signing earlier, it looks Anibal Sanchez may be on his way to the Cubs...and I thought they were in full-on rebuild mode...

It certainly looked that way, but he just signed a 5 year deal with the Tigers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Dickey is very very close to going to Toronto, believed to just be talking extension at the moment. Some rotation if it works out.

Dickey
    Johnson
    Buehrle
    Morrow
    Romero

mod9maple wrote: »
    Dickey is very very close to going to Toronto, believed to just be talking extension at the moment. Some rotation if it works out.

Dickey
    Johnson
    Buehrle
    Morrow
    Romero

What about the guys they'd be giving up? Obviously as a Mets fan I'd love to see some good prospects coming the other way but not knowing too much about Toronto's farm system the names being mentioned mean nothing to me. Ae they major league ready?

• Advertisement

What about the guys they'd be giving up? Obviously as a Mets fan I'd love to see some good prospects coming the other way but not knowing too much about Toronto's farm system the names being mentioned mean nothing to me. Ae they major league ready?
    They have catching prospects so ye should be looking for d'Arnaud. If ye got an outfielder or an arm aswell that wouldn't be a bad return...

Advertisement