Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

What about the guys they'd be giving up? Obviously as a Mets fan I'd love to see some good prospects coming the other way but not knowing too much about Toronto's farm system the names being mentioned mean nothing to me. Ae they major league ready?

I can't see AA giving up Gose and D'Arnaud both, so if they trade D'Arnaud it'll Sierra with him, or if Gose then Arencibia. Another prospect might go with either pair but who we don't know. Gose and Sierra have limited major league experience and imo need at least another year in AAA. Arencibia is definitely major league ready having 2 full seasons with the Jays. D'Arnaud has yet to play in the majors but is a top-rated prospect. Gose has amazing speed, and is great in centre field. His bat needs work. Arencibia can hit for power, and his catching has improved of late. Sierra? Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

So R.A. probably has one or two good years left in him. I know he is a knuckleball pitcher, but he throws it hard. That will fall off, but to give up a 20 game winner after giving David Wright $140 million? I'm indecisive if it's a good move by the Mets.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    So R.A. probably has one or two good years left in him. I know he is a knuckleball pitcher, but he throws it hard. That will fall off, but to give up a 20 game winner after giving David Wright $140 million? I'm indecisive if it's a good move by the Mets.

If it's d'Arnaud then it's a no brainer for the Mets. We're talking potential top 3 catcher here - They are very hard to come by. As a Jays fan I don't like it one bit, especially if there isn't a contract extension built into deal. The Jays rotation is good enough right now imo.

Footoo wrote: »
    If it's d'Arnaud then it's a no brainer for the Mets. We're talking potential top 3 catcher here - They are very hard to come by. As a Jays fan I don't like it one bit, especially if there isn't a contract extension built into deal. The Jays rotation is good enough right now imo.

d'Arnaud straight up for Dickey, no extension isn't happening. AA the ninja is too good to allow that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I realize that D'Arnaud is untried but it is ridiculous to give up such a talent for a knuckleballer who is 38? and let's be honest one good season ?
    I'd have chased someone like Anibal Sanchez rather than Dickey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As a Mets fan I'm torn here with this trade. On one side, a Cy Young winner is being given up and by giving up the opening day starter for 2013, does that show the team's ambitions for next season? But on the other, although he's young for a knuckleballer, he's still 38 and there has to be some doubts of whether he can pitch as well again for the next 2-3 years as he has the last 2.

Ever since the season ended of gone from one side to the other and back on this but I'm just going to trust Sandy Alderson on this one. He's always said he was aiming for 2014 so hopefully this is all part of the plan. Only time will tell whether he's a genius for not giving him the years/money he wanted or whether he's a fool for letting the Mets best pitcher walk out.

The sad thing is that as well as being a great pitcher, RA is a really nice guy and you could listen to him being interviewed all day so I'm going to miss him as a Met (his book's a great read by the way). But I wish him well and hope it all works out for him in Toronto and it looks like I'll be rooting for the Blue Jays in the AL East next season (I can now also cheer for Reyes again now that he's out of Miami!).

As i said in a previous post, I don't know much about Toronto's farm system but I found this nice link which grades the players in the system so at least I can see what the Mets are getting back and whether they're any use

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/5/3731258/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

As a Mets fan I'm torn here with this trade. On one side, a Cy Young winner is being given up and by giving up the opening day starter for 2013, does that show the team's ambitions for next season? But on the other, although he's young for a knuckleballer, he's still 38 and there has to be some doubts of whether he can pitch as well again for the next 2-3 years as he has the last 2.

Ever since the season ended of gone from one side to the other and back on this but I'm just going to trust Sandy Alderson on this one. He's always said he was aiming for 2014 so hopefully this is all part of the plan. Only time will tell whether he's a genius for not giving him the years/money he wanted or whether he's a fool for letting the Mets best pitcher walk out.

The sad thing is that as well as being a great pitcher, RA is a really nice guy and you could listen to him being interviewed all day so I'm going to miss him as a Met (his book's a great read by the way). But I wish him well and hope it all works out for him in Toronto and it looks like I'll be rooting for the Blue Jays in the AL East next season (I can now also cheer for Reyes again now that he's out of Miami!).

As i said in a previous post, I don't know much about Toronto's farm system but I found this nice link which grades the players in the system so at least I can see what the Mets are getting back and whether they're any use

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/12/5/3731258/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects-for-2013

I like this trade. Specially in the light that your GM is targeting 2014. Dickey is good in 2011-2012, but how will he fare in 2012-2013? And for the money he is asking, I'd take my chances on a Bright Young Prospect.

I've never heard of Travis d'Arnaud, but looking at his stats, it's really good. Really good for a Baseball Player, but really special for a Catcher.

Your GM has a vision, and I'm glad he has the balls to stick to it. Hopefully he can fulfill his vision, and stick one to the Yankees. It's high time the Little Brother, one ups the Older One. :D

• Advertisement

So nothing sealed yet but it's looking good to go, once Dickey and Toronto can agree on an extension. Losing Buck isn't a problem, we have Arencibia and looks like Thole coming the other way, and 2 good catching prospects in the minors. I wouldn't have given up d'Arnaud and Syndergaard, but then I'm not a MLB GM. :D

Even if the deal falls through, it's looking like an exciting season for Blue Jays fans. I'm pumped. And if we land Dickey, wow. We're certainly looking good for some play-off runs over the next couple of seasons, something we haven't had since our last WS wins in the early 90s.

With interleague play every day next season you'll probably find yourself watching more NL teams than before.

Why have you no interest in the NL by the way? I just love baseball and would watch any game I can (proof: Honeymoon in Hawaii - dragged the wife along to a Winter league game between the Honolulu Sharks and Waikiki Beach Boys. Great stuff!).

Oh, is Interleague play changing? I didn't realise.

It's not that I don't have interest in the NL, but with so many games everyday I find it hard to follow all 30 teams, and I tend to watch those highlights that involve other AL teams, plus the Jays play the majority of their games against same obviously so I see the AL players much more often. I would have a good stab naming every position player on every AL team, plus each AL teams' rotation (bullpens and benches not so much!) but NL? I could probably name a few position players and one or two starting pitchers, but that's it.

mod9maple wrote: »
    So nothing sealed yet but it's looking good to go, once Dickey and Toronto can agree on an extension. Losing Buck isn't a problem, we have Arencibia and looks like Thole coming the other way, and 2 good catching prospects in the minors. I wouldn't have given up d'Arnaud and Syndergaard, but then I'm not a MLB GM. :D

Even if the deal falls through, it's looking like an exciting season for Blue Jays fans. I'm pumped. And if we land Dickey, wow. We're certainly looking good for some play-off runs over the next couple of seasons, something we haven't had since our last WS wins in the early 90s.

I was reading both Mets and Blue Jays message boards on this trade and usually the talk is of one side feeling like they're getting screwed but in this case, fans on both sides seem to be happy with it. So lets hope RA can get his extension sorted and everyone will be happy!

Oh, is Interleague play changing? I didn't realise.

With Houston switching to the AL there are now 15 teams in each league so to avoid 2 teams not being able to play each day, there's going to be interleague play throughout the season.

As an AL fan, are you a fan of the DH by the way or would you prefer to see pitchers bat? Interleague play could be very interesting in the last week of September if an AL team is on the road at a NL park needing to win a couple of games and their power hitter can't play. I know an interleague game in June counts the same as one in September but the media would have a field day and blow it all out if porportion if it looked like a division race was going to be affected by a DH not being able to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

With Houston switching to the AL there are now 15 teams in each league so to avoid 2 teams not being able to play each day, there's going to be interleague play throughout the season.

As an AL fan, are you a fan of the DH by the way or would you prefer to see pitchers bat? Interleague play could be very interesting in the last week of September if an AL team is on the road at a NL park needing to win a couple of games and their power hitter can't play. I know an interleague game in June counts the same as one in September but the media would have a field day and blow it all out if porportion if it looked like a division race was going to be affected by a DH not being able to play

And it may be very relevant........last interleague series is Tigers @ Marlins, the White Sox, Tigers and after trades possibly the Royals will all be pretty close.....not that I expect the Marlins being much of a threat, but it will still be the Tigers playing in a HUGE ballpark, minus a hitter.

Don't most teams just put their DH into a field position for the few interleague games that there is? (David Ortiz and First Base). Is there any AL line-up which this really effects? Effect in the meaning that it isn't just an inconvenience but an actual obstacle?

Don't most teams just put their DH into a field position for the few interleague games that there is? (David Ortiz and First Base). Is there any AL line-up which this really effects? Effect in the meaning that it isn't just an inconvenience but an actual obstacle?

They can work their usual DH into the lineup....but regardless of how they set their line-up, they're still down to 8 hitters and a pitcher.....and having a pitcher up in the 9th spot completely changes the strategy at the plate for the 7 and 8 hitters.

When Travis Hafter is hitting well, it affects the Cleveland Indians.
    He doesn't seem to have a good position/any position :-)

That could be one for Mod9maple to answer as he'll know more about AL lineups than me but you can just see ESPN etc making a huge deal out of what could be nothing just to have a story.

But the point of having Big Poppi at 1st base instead of their usual first baseman still reduces the quality of the team.

The Blue Jays main DH (depending on future trades, John Gibbons' mindset and spring training of course) will be Encarnacion who is a more than capable 1B. Lind (1B) can DH, Bautista (RF) can DH, Bonafacio (2B) can DH, and Rajai Davis (LF) might DH occasionally too, so for Toronto it isn't a problem at all.

• Advertisement

They can work their usual DH into the lineup....but regardless of how they set their line-up, they're still down to 8 hitters and a pitcher.....and having a pitcher up in the 9th spot completely changes the strategy at the plate for the 7 and 8 hitters.

Yes it effects strategy, but it's not like the NL have that big an advantage because their pitchers take regular ABs. Most aren't much use with the bat now really, are they? Apart from the rare exceptions they don't seem to be much use as hitters other than for bunting, and I'm not sure how many are even much good at that.

As for a previous question about the DH - I support a team in the AL, therefore accept and live with the rules of that league. I don't have an opinion on the DH rule one way or the other. If it was dropped for uniformity purposes across both leagues, I wouldn't be at all bothered.

In a funny sort of a way, I should be a big NL fan, but I'm from Hamilton, Ont. and just happen to be a Blue Jays fan because of that. I like 'small ball' - I love speed on the basepaths, I like hit and runs; I like the long ball sure, but don't get particularly over-excited about it either. I like seeing the Jays manufacture runs without the homers.

The Blue Jays main DH (depending on future trades, John Gibbons' mindset and spring training of course) will be Encarnacion who is a more than capable 1B. Lind (1B) can DH, Bautista (RF) can DH, Bonafacio (2B) can DH, and Rajai Davis (LF) might DH occasionally too, so for Toronto it isn't a problem at all.

As a Yankee fan it isn't a problem at all either so I may be guilty of being ignorant to the struggles of other AL teams in regards to the rule. In New York it's nearly seen as a means of giving the older players a days "rest". Losing that in Interleague plays doesn't really matter all that much.

It's a done deal now, the Dickey trade, pending a physical for him, both parties (Dickey and Jays) having agreed an extension. I'm sorry to see two top-line prospects go the other way but I'm even more excited about next season now.

Roll on Spring training, just round the corner. :)

That division is a blood bath now. If the Red Soc manage to pick up some half decent pitchers I think they will contend too.

Yes it effects strategy, but it's not like the NL have that big an advantage because their pitchers take regular ABs. Most aren't much use with the bat now really, are they? Apart from the rare exceptions they don't seem to be much use as hitters other than for bunting, and I'm not sure how many are even much good at that.

As for a previous question about the DH - I support a team in the AL, therefore accept and live with the rules of that league. I don't have an opinion on the DH rule one way or the other. If it was dropped for uniformity purposes across both leagues, I wouldn't be at all bothered.

In a funny sort of a way, I should be a big NL fan, but I'm from Hamilton, Ont. and just happen to be a Blue Jays fan because of that. I like 'small ball' - I love speed on the basepaths, I like hit and runs; I like the long ball sure, but don't get particularly over-excited about it either. I like seeing the Jays manufacture runs without the homers.

Yes pitchers don't take a hugh amount of BP, but they are still more comfortable at the plate than their AL counterparts......when was the last time you saw an AL pitcher hit a home run.

Guess what.....Mike Leake batted .295 last season in 69 PAs, Stephen strasburg batted .277

21 NL pitchers hit home runs.....Leake, Alex White and Madison Baumgarner had 2 each.

No AL pitcher hit a HR.

..when was the last time you saw an AL pitcher hit a home run.

Unfortunately I still have nightmares remembering the time King Felix not only hit a home run off Johan Santana, but a grand slam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Unfortunately I still have nightmares remembering the time King Felix not only hit a home run off Johan Santana, but a grand slam!
    I was just about to post about that homer, his only at bat that season aswell...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15981133

Coeus wrote: »
    I was just about to post about that homer, his only at bat that season aswell...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15981133
    Ah come on, did you have to link a video? I won't sleep tonight now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Ah come on, did you have to link a video? I won't sleep tonight now!
    Sorry man, just linked it in case people didn't believe :)

Beckett, Buehrle and Sabathia have hit a homer in recent seasons but as noted above there were none last season...

• Advertisement

Hey Micah Owings was such a good batting pitcher, the Padres signed him to a minor league contract and sent him to AAA to learn to play first because they want him in the lineup everyday.....more valuable as a batter than a pitcher....and he was a capable 4th or 5th guy in the rotation.

Unfortunately the move hasn't worked out.....when he was with the Reds, and a little younger, they tried to convince him to try out left field, knowing that with their young pitchers coming through, he wouldn't make the opening day roster in the rotation.

Advertisement