Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Coeus wrote: »
    King Felix has become the highest paid pitcher in baseball...

Does anyone else find these wages distasteful? As much as I love watching the very best play the game I love, no-one 'deserves' that amount of money to earn a living.

I think wages are completely over the top now in a multitude of sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »
    Does anyone else find these wages distasteful? As much as I love watching the very best play the game I love, no-one 'deserves' that amount of money to earn a living.

Mark Texeria came out and said as much in the past day or so. Not about Felix in particular but baseball players in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Mark Texeria came out and said as much in the past day or so. Not about Felix in particular but baseball players in general.
    Yes its an obscene amount of money some of these guys are paid, but I guess as long as people pay to go see games or pay to watch at home then most owners will be compelled to put the best product they can on the field. I can see Kershaw and Verlander getting more when they get their contracts extended so who knows where it will stop.

8-10 wrote: »
    Bought tickets to 6 games today, including 2 interleague games which will be a first for me. Have another 8 planned, waiting on Phillies single-game tickets on sale next week. smile.png

Even got myself a Field Box ticket, Row B, for Red Sox v Phillies at Fenway. Cannot wait.
    Nice one, I take it you live stateside. What other games you going to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Heh Teixeira is one of the last guys I would expect to hear that from given that he's been so talented at milking every cent he can since he was drafted.
    Ridiculous sums of money are spent on baseball players for sure, but that's the nature of the world, ridiculous sums of money get spent on things that ridiculous sums of money shouldn't be spent on.

I'm happy the Felix deal is done. When you consider what some other players that don't even approach Felix's talent are making, it's not a bad deal.
    He's still only 26, one of the best 3-4 pitchers in baseball, cy young, perfect game... I just hope to f**k he stays healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

mod9maple wrote: »

They are.....but who's going to the be the first GM to cut salaries.....he'll be the one to find his team dead last....

Sadly it's the downside to free agency.....if you aren't willing to pay, somebody else will

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nice one, I take it you live stateside. What other games you going to see?

Nope, haven't lived there in about 18months but go back for work now and then and planning a few holiday trips too.

Will be at home games for Blue Jays, Red Sox and Phillies (all cities I worked/studied in previously so they're the easiest for me to stay in). Should see Mets, Nats, Rangers, Angels and Marlins. Outside chance of me getting Yankees v Red Sox tickets in NY start of June if I have the money to spend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Outside chance of me getting Yankees v Red Sox tickets in NY start of June if I have the money to spend. :)

If you are in NY the day before the game, go up to the ticket office at the ball park and you will get single returns. Otherwise, try a certain ticket booth (**) in Times Square and you will get a single there for definite.

(**) Not sure the mod will like me for posting the name of a glorified ticket touting agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yankees tickets are easy enough to come across in regular season. I went to Yankees-Red Sox on a Sunday night last summer for around $25

Nope, haven't lived there in about 18months but go back for work now and then and planning a few holiday trips too.

Will be at home games for Blue Jays, Red Sox and Phillies (all cities I worked/studied in previously so they're the easiest for me to stay in). Should see Mets, Nats, Rangers, Angels and Marlins. Outside chance of me getting Yankees v Red Sox tickets in NY start of June if I have the money to spend. :)
    Cool...Have been to Rodgers, Fenway and Citizens and seen the rest of those teams except for the Angels. Some of those teams are going to be really good this year so lots to look forward to...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Yankees tickets are easy enough to come across in regular season. I went to Yankees-Red Sox on a Sunday night last summer for around $25

Which one was that? They were really hard to get when I was there but that was a few years ago when the Sox were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

COYW wrote: »
    Which one was that? They were really hard to get when I was there but that was a few years ago when the Sox were good.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1303661-yankees-red-sox-ichiro-homers-twice-hiroki-kuroda-dominates-bostin-in-4-1-win

This was the game. Due to Boston being awful I'm sure they were a little easier to come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

Thanks everyone for the tips, ill make sure I get there. Bizarrely I've never seen Yankees play at home. My ex used to work for them and all, my weirdest ever present was when she gave me a bat signed by Jim Leyritz!

Bit of a snag with the King Felix deal

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/10/felix-hernandez-extension-elbow-injury/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

Would you take the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Bit of a snag with the King Felix deal

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/10/felix-hernandez-extension-elbow-injury/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

Would you take the chance?

I'll have him in Boston in a Heartbeat. Just don't know what Players we could Trade to entice Seattle TBH.

I'll have him in Boston in a heartbeat

Yeah me too. Unfortunately the Mets will have to do with Shaun Marcum as their star acquisition pitcher

Scott Hairston has signed with the Cubs......Tony Compana DFA, can't imagine him clearing waivers, will make a good bench player/backup OF for someone

Scott Hairston has signed with the Cubs......Tony Compana DFA, can't imagine him clearing waivers, will make a good bench player/backup OF for someone

If they can get him cheap, I'm sure the Mets will be interested as they've been signing everyone else's offcasts this offseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Michael Bourn finally signed, going to the Indians.
    Can't believe he lasted this long, even with the draft pick compensation

With Bourn signed, that now gives the Indians the freedom to shop Drew Stubbs......Mets, Cubs and several others still need to find a centerfielder.

• Advertisement

Michael Bourn finally signed, going to the Indians.
    Can't believe he lasted this long, even with the draft pick compensation
    The Indians dont lose their 1st round pick as they pick in the top 10 and those picks are protected. I think they will lose a pick to the Braves but from a later round as the Indians 2nd round pick is gone to the Yankees for the Swisher signing.

The Mets will pick 11th so could potentially have lost their pick to the Braves if they signed him. Thing is the Mets should have had 10th pick but because the Pirates couldn't sign their 1st pick from last years draft, they got a compensation pick ahead of the Mets in this years draft pushing the Mets back to 11th. This is why the Mets filed their grievence and got screwed while they waited for the outcome, its not the Mets fault the Pirates couldn't get their guy signed. The Mets situation tell you how important 1st rounders are regarded these days to a teams future...

The Indians dont lose their 1st round pick as they pick in the top 10 and those picks are protected. I think they will lose a pick to the Braves but from a later round as the Indians 2nd round pick is gone to the Yankees for the Swisher signing.

The Mets will pick 11th so could potentially have lost their pick to the Braves if they signed him. Thing is the Mets should have had 10th pick but because the Pirates couldn't sign their 1st pick from last years draft, they got a compensation pick ahead of the Mets in this years draft pushing the Mets back to 11th. This is why the Mets filed their grievence and got screwed while they waited for the outcome, its not the Mets fault the Pirates couldn't get their guy signed. The Mets situation tell you how important 1st rounders are regarded these days to a teams future...

On one hand I'm disappointed he didn't end up at CitiField. Not because he was going to be a great addition but because the Mets have no one else to play the outfield and will probably end up adding some off cast from a team that dumps a player before Spring training ends.

On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't give him $48 over 4 years which is way too much for him. As for the 11th pick, obviously I'm glad the Mets will still have it now but they'd better use it wisely having come out and stated that they weren't going to give it up. I read during the week a list of the 11th pick over the past 10-15 years or so and quite a few of them haven't made it so its no sure thing

On one hand I'm disappointed he didn't end up at CitiField. Not because he was going to be a great addition but because the Mets have no one else to play the outfield and will probably end up adding some off cast from a team that dumps a player before Spring training ends.

On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't give him $48 over 4 years which is way too much for him. As for the 11th pick, obviously I'm glad the Mets will still have it now but they'd better use it wisely having come out and stated that they weren't going to give it up. I read during the week a list of the 11th pick over the past 10-15 years or so and quite a few of them haven't made it so its no sure thing
    The MLB draft of all drafts can be so hit and miss. Some number 1 picks have been complete busts. Still if a guy like Mike Trout can be drafted with pick 25 and Albert Pujols in the 13th round then there is hope if your GM and his scouting team know what they are doing. Sandy Alderson is a good guy to have in that respect. He has started by restocking the farm, drafting well will be the next step. It will be a long season for the Mets as the NL East will be tough but there is always hope when you look at where the Nats were a few years ago.

Spring Training schedule on MLB.TV is up. First game being broadcast on Saturday week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/broadcasts/spring_mlbtv.jsp

With Bourn signed, that now gives the Indians the freedom to shop Drew Stubbs......Mets, Cubs and several others still need to find a centerfielder.

Goo article about Aroldis Chapman here. Thought you might like it.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/story.aspx?ID=1885174

Goo article about Aroldis Chapman here. Thought you might like it.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/story.aspx?ID=1885174

If you're intrigued by Aroldis, check out this blog post and video..... http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/02/19/this-just-in-chapmans-got-good-stuff/

It's awesome that, when there isn't a crowd around, you can hear the pitches.

I still think that it's the wrong decision to move him to the rotation......I sincerly hope that i get proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Good blog I came across last year, Joe Peta's Trading Bases.

He's doing 30 team previews in 30 days at the moment, good pre-season reading.

"Opening Day lineup" (spring training opening day that is).....interesting position choices for the Indians, obviously experimenting with swisher, if it works out, it gives them a much better defensive outfield.

Reds:
    Shin-Soo Choo CF, Brandon Phillips 2B, Joey Votto 1B, Ryan Ludwick LF, Jay Bruce RF, Todd Fraizer 3B, Zack Cozart SS, Ryan Hanigan C, Miguel Olivo DH, (Pitcher Tony Cingrani)

Indians: Michael Bourn CF, Asdrubel Cabrera SS, Jason Kipnis 2B, Nick Swisher 1B, Michael Brantley LF, Carlos Santana C, Mark Reynolds DH, Lonnie Chisenhall 3B, Drew Stubbs RF. (Pitcher Giovanni Soto.)

I'm glad to see the Reds have come out swinging.......3 innings into spring training and they're average is 1.6 pitches per at-bat.....but it's produced 5 runs, so let's keep it up

• Advertisement

"Opening Day lineup" (spring training opening day that is).....interesting position choices for the Indians, obviously experimenting with swisher, if it works out, it gives them a much better defensive outfield.

Reds:
    Shin-Soo Choo CF, Brandon Phillips 2B, Joey Votto 1B, Ryan Ludwick LF, Jay Bruce RF, Todd Fraizer 3B, Zack Cozart SS, Ryan Hanigan C, Miguel Olivo DH, (Pitcher Tony Cingrani)

Indians: Michael Bourn CF, Asdrubel Cabrera SS, Jason Kipnis 2B, Nick Swisher 1B, Michael Brantley LF, Carlos Santana C, Mark Reynolds DH, Lonnie Chisenhall 3B, Drew Stubbs RF. (Pitcher Giovanni Soto.)
    Pitchers aside these lineups are probably not far off the real opening day lineups.

Alot more frontline players in the starting lineups today than I expected.

Advertisement