Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Pre-Season Thread

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

8-10 wrote: »
    Both Bruce and Ryan Howard are 30/1 overall and 11/1 for NL. The fact they have Howard at the same price as Stanton and Bruce shows how off it is, I agree Jay is the most likely NL rival. PP have Adrian Gonzales favourite
    People in the know must have seen the odds as the market has moved. Still dunno how Gonzalez and Stanton have the same odds (17/2) for NL only market especially when he is 9 points shorter in the MLB market. Stanton on any other team than the Marlins would be a lock for the NL only market. I dont see odds for Matt Kemp either...

I like Joey Bats in the AL only and MLB markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130322/mlb-sues-biogenesis.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a6&eref=sihp

To me, this sounds like they really really want to take down Ryan Braun and A-Rod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Reds announce Chapman will close this season........for now Mike Leake will be the 5th starter.

Rumours are bound to come out linking the Reds to Kyle Lohse......he is still unemployed and a 1 year pillow deal may be tempting, especially on a team considered a contender.

Reds announce Chapman will close this season........for now Mike Leake will be the 5th starter.

Rumours are bound to come out linking the Reds to Kyle Lohse......he is still unemployed and a 1 year pillow deal may be tempting, especially on a team considered a contender.

Isn't there draft pick issues for anyone who signs him though? That's probably why he's still available

Isn't there draft pick issues for anyone who signs him though? That's probably why he's still available
    Yea, it was the same with Bourn, unless your one of the 10 worst teams from last season, you lose your 1st round pick. That fact is agent is Scott Boras hasn't helped either as he always overvalues his clients. Once they rejected the Cardinals qualifying offer the draft pick was tied to him.

Oneyear deal with a contender is probably the most likely outcome for him now. I guess the interested teams have to weight up whether one year of Lohse now is worth giving up the pick or giving up a prospect(s) in a trade for another teams surplus pitching.

• Advertisement

Which is one of the reasons why the Reds would be a likely team.....they have one of the youngest rotations and overall roster in baseball and would be able to afford to give up that pick......

of course the reds may give leake a chance first.....doesn't look like lohse is going anywhere before opening day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Vernon Wells to the Yankees...is this the best they could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Vernon Wells to the Yankees...is this the best they could do?

Mad isn't it. How much of his massive wage did the Yanks pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

boccy23 wrote: »
    Mad isn't it. How much of his massive wage did the Yanks pick up?

From Yahoo:

"A person familiar with the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks were ongoing, said the sides were bargaining over the money that would be included in a trade. Wells is owed $42 million over the next two seasons, and the Yankees anticipated they would end up being responsible for about $12 million to $13 million of that total."

From Yahoo:

"A person familiar with the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks were ongoing, said the sides were bargaining over the money that would be included in a trade. Wells is owed $42 million over the next two seasons, and the Yankees anticipated they would end up being responsible for about $12 million to $13 million of that total."

The Angels signing him in the first place was a really bad piece of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The Angels signing him in the first place was a really bad piece of business.

Oh I don't know, one team was happy! :D

Which is one of the reasons why the Reds would be a likely team.....they have one of the youngest rotations and overall roster in baseball and would be able to afford to give up that pick......
    Looks like the Brewers have taken the draft pick hit and signed Lohse for a 3 year $33M contract.

Coeus wrote: »
    Looks like the Brewers have taken the draft pick hit and signed Lohse for a 3 year $33M contract.

Scott Boras is indeed a god. He waits and waits and eventually someone stumps up. $33M not bad for a couple of extra months waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

From Yahoo:

Yes, but Mark Teixeira's wage is being paid by the WBC while he is on the DL. That allows the Yankees to spend slightly more on Wells, plus there is some nifty accounting going on so that his contract may even give the Yankees a credit towards the $189 million luxury tax coming up next year.

Scott Boras is indeed a god. He waits and waits and eventually someone stumps up. $33M not bad for a couple of extra months waiting.

I'm looking to get a pay rise in work. Any chance I could get Boras to represent me in negotiations? I'm probably past my best too

I'm looking to get a pay rise in work. Any chance I could get Boras to represent me in negotiations? I'm probably past my best too
    I actually think Boras hasn't had a great offseason. None of the top FA guys (Bourn, Lohse, Soriano) he was representing got the years or dollars they were looking for. Now I know the MLB rules on free agents didn't help him but this is the man who in 2007 got ARod to opt out of his original ridiculous $250M 10-year contract only to negoitiate the even more ridiculous $275M 10-year deal the Yankees are now saddled with.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9109596/alex-rodriguez-make-more-houston-astros-combined-salary

Disgusting ESPN report from yesterday......A-rod, who may not even play this season, and if he does will only play for half the season......will still earn more in 2013 than the entire Houston Astros' roster combined.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9109596/alex-rodriguez-make-more-houston-astros-combined-salary

Disgusting ESPN report from yesterday......A-rod, who may not even play this season, and if he does will only play for half the season......will still earn more in 2013 than the entire Houston Astros' roster combined.

And to make it even worse, the Astros biggest payroll obligation this season is the $5m they'll be paying to Wandy Rodriguez who will be pitching for the Pirates.

And it's not just A-Rod who won't be playing that'll earn more than them. Johan Santana who is probably done for good is the same and there are 9 other players who will be playing that will out earn the Astros roster

Sad to see what has happened to Johan Santana. Was the No-Hitter worth it?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Sad to see what has happened to Johan Santana. Was the No-Hitter worth it?

While the no-hitter didn't help, I don't think it's the main cause of his problems. He's had shoulder problems for years now and I'd say his injury history is more to blame than throwing 20 more pitches than usual on one occasion.

Very sad to see though, a great player to watch and he comes across as a nice guy but I doubt we'll ever see him pitch again. And from a Mets fan's point of view, devastated that there's another $31m (uninsured) gone on a player who won't contribute this season. So bringing this back to the Astros discussion earlier, if you add that to the $15m or so they're paying Jason Bay and the annual $1m payment they have to make to Bobby Bonilla, they're paying nearly double to players who won't play for them this season than the Astros payroll!

• Advertisement

How long is the Bobby Bonila contract for?

How long is the Bobby Bonila contract for?

$1.2m every year from 2011 to 2035

Talking about huge contracts, Justin Verlander just signed a huge extension to his contract. $180 million over 7 years.

And now Buster Posey signs a big one. Plenty of money being spent today!

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2013/03/29/giants-buster-posey-agree-to-nine-year-deal/

And now Buster Posey signs a big one. Plenty of money being spent today!

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2013/03/29/giants-buster-posey-agree-to-nine-year-deal/
    If a someone deserves a big payday its Buster. The full 2 seasons he has played, the Giants have won the World Series. Been in his mid 20s, the Giants have him locked in for his prime years. They can always play him at 1B towards the end of his contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

$1.2m every year from 2011 to 2035

2035?! :eek:

What? How? Why? That's shocking. You mean he's guaranteed 1.2 million every year til then, and he's retired (and has been for a while now)?

Bloody hell, this'll be good...

mod9maple wrote: »
    2035?! :eek:

What? How? Why? That's shocking. You mean he's guaranteed 1.2 million every year til then, and he's retired (and has been for a while now)?

Bloody hell, this'll be good...

Like a lot of things, in theory it sounded like a great idea and as in most cases, things that appear too good to be true usually are.

In 2000, he was owed $5m or so in his last year of his deal. But he had been rubbish year in '99 so the Mets wanted rid of him. The plan was to offer BB a deferral of the $5m he was owed in lieu if getting $1.2m a year for 25 years starting 10 years later. Sounds mad, why would they pay him $25m when he's only owed $5m?

Well it all comes down to the Mets getting involved with Bernie Madoff. He convinced Mets ownership into taking the $5m that was to be paid to Bonilla (and hundreds of more millions worth of Mets money) and invest it into his fund. The plan was that the $5m they invested in Madoff's scheme after 10 years would be worth a lot more than the $1.2m they'd have to pay Bonilla every year so they'd actually make a profit on it.

But as we now all know, Madoff was a crook operating a Ponzi scheme and not only did the Mets lose the $5m owed to Bonilla, they lost the hundreds of millions of dollars and basically bankrupted the Mets. And they still owe Bonilla his $1.2m a year until 2035.

You couldn't make it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Excellent Start from us, even better since we Defeated the Yanks.

Hopefully, it bodes well for the Season. :D

Advertisement