Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

morphy87 wrote: »
    Was talking to a man at the weekend that fattens a good few cattle and was going to start selling this week but he told me his agent said wait a month,this man don’t usually make too many mistakes so hopefully the thing might start to pick up then, but you would imagine numbers should start increasing then, or maybe they will start increasing them then so it might give some encouragement to the winter finishers to start purchasing,know two men that won’t be buying this year for definite, and know a third big finisher that is completely getting out off beef altogether,bought the last of his cattle last November,going dairying said he won’t ever be seen in a mart again

Know 2 big operators not buying cattle this winter.

1 used finish 300 heifers, all top quality continental- going milking instead.

The other had 2000 bales in his yard but isn't going to keep cattle this winter, he'd have been on a similar scale I'm guessing.

If the factories cut further they might do damage confidence in the game, it might finish it quick time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭morphy87

Danzy wrote: »
    Know 2 big operators not buying cattle this winter.

1 used finish 300 heifers, all top quality continental- going milking instead.

The other had 2000 bales in his yard but isn't going to keep cattle this winter, he'd have been on a similar scale I'm guessing.

If the factories cut further they might do damage confidence in the game, it might finish it quick time.

I think you are right,it ain’t going to take much more to drive lads out of it,this year could finish it,know a good few big dairy farmers that used to fatten all their stock, from now on they said calf’s will be sold out the gate,they’ve had enough

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

Probably not the thread for it but anyone take up the agroforestry, where the trees can coexist, so to speak, with cattle grazing and silage making? Only a 5 year premium it seems which is disappointing and who knows how it would actually work in practise. Will be forced to look at it once Glas is finished unless something else comes along....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

I don’t think Glas will be finishing. A local man here works in the dept of ag and he tells me the future from Brussels is all about more enviro/biodiversity schemes with more cross compliance and new detailed reporting on carbon usage. You’ll be minding flowers and bees before you know it.

Kildare Chilling not taking cattle next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I don’t think Glas will be finishing. A local man here works in the dept of ag and he tells me the future from Brussels is all about more enviro/biodiversity schemes with more cross compliance and new detailed reporting on carbon usage. You’ll be minding flowers and bees before you know it.

Kildare Chilling not taking cattle next week.
    Maintenance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Why would a couple spend 200k on thirty acres in order to build a house, add to that there is the issue of one off housing which is frowned upon more and more

As for land being required for subsidies, no one knows what the mechanics of that will be going forward

I don't think land in Mitchelstown will be 5k in ten years but the average price of land in most non intensive dairying regions might well be, no one knows if dairying will continue to expand either

Tonne of unknowns, land will never ever reach 2006 prices again

I agree that a lot of land sold in the mid noughties and again over the 12 months may struggle to hit that price again. Yes one off housing is getting harder to get planning and to build on. But site value is still above 60 and hitting above 80-100K in places.

As somebody who sold a site within an hour of the M-50 recently I can tell you that you are a good bit off with your prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How much are nice quality Store cattle back in price?.....I bought 10 Chx bullocks avg weight 400kg,all were around 12 to 15 months old and avg €1080,bought in early April for an elderly neighbour,they are thriving on well on grass.
    He usually sells in the backend and avoids wintering costs.
    Would these kind of cattle make their price back today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How much are nice quality Store cattle back in price?.....I bought 10 Chx bullocks avg weight 400kg,all were around 12 to 15 months old and avg €1080,bought in early April for an elderly neighbour,they are thriving on well on grass.

This is like panic setting in!!!
    Lads will start to worry the sky will fall in next
    The only mart i was in calves are a lot dearer then spring but plain cattle are supposed to be a poor trade The country is full of fodder ,plenty of grass around cattle prices will rebound they have only one way to go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is €1080 an all in price including commission and transport or just the average hammer price? If the latter then a conservative estimate per head of €10 buyers commission, another €10 haulage and finally €10 to yourself for buying is leaving them at a possible €1110 average. It's 100 days since the 10th of April and would they have done 1.2kg dlwg since? That's 120kg + 400kg purchase weight = 520kg today.

I'd be expecting between €2.30 to €2.40 a kg for goodish type stores at that weight atm. That leaves them worth between €1200 to €1250 a piece from my current figures, there's another minimum €10 haulage and €20 sellers commission if going back through the mart. Either way such stock are going to be costing north of €1100 each before any other fixed costs are included. There's lots more like your neighbor who want a few nice cattle to eat the grass and aren't that worried about making money. I used to think that a bullock bought for €1100 and sold for €1300 after six months was a handy turn but when you look at the figures you were better off sitting by the fire imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

cute geoge wrote: »
    This is like panic setting in!!!
    Lads will start to worry the sky will fall in next
    The only mart i was in calves are a lot dearer then spring but plain cattle are supposed to be a poor trade The country is full of fodder ,plenty of grass around cattle prices will rebound they have only one way to go

+1
    I think stores might not be as cheap as Larry hopes this fall. Lads that have silage pits full, the yard half full of bales and empty sheds will buy cattle, but won't fatten them, just feed silage. If Larry wants fat cattle next spring he can fatten them himself. But I reckon he'll have a bit of competition around the rings this autumn. Markets are fickle, always were, always will be.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for reply....have you being in any Mart lately Albert?

He’s not going selling anything but was chatting him the other evening and talk came round to supposedly bad trade for stock of nearly all types in Marts,nearest to here would be Dowra,Ballymote,Manorhamilton.
    The neighbour had heard nice Charolais and Limo weanlings are back €150 on this time last year....not that you would imagine there would be many out in July......that led to us wondering if his nice stores would even be worth what was paid for them in April!!
    Cattle would avg 1100 all in,don’t really charge him for buying them as he is a family friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Thanks for reply....have you being in any Mart lately Albert?

He’s not going selling anything but was chatting him the other evening and talk came round to supposedly bad trade for stock of nearly all types in Marts,nearest to here would be Dowra,Ballymote,Manorhamilton.
    The neighbour had heard nice Charolais and Limo weanlings are back €150 on this time last year....not that you would imagine there would be many out in July......that led to us wondering if his nice stores would even be worth what was paid for them in April!!
    Cattle would avg 1100 all in,don’t really charge him for buying them as he is a family friend.

I'm just in the door from another Leitrim mart and usually average about 3 sales a week (I'm not a dealer). You can't be a million miles from me as all those marts are local to my home place too.

It's early yet for the weanling trade and the few I've seen sold made as much as any year but it's too early to judge the trade imo. Your neighbor's stores should still be worth €1100+ imo, with all the negativity surrounding the beef trade I think that cattle are a good enough trade in the mart. I sold an average 06 born SHx cow tonight 600kg @ €780 (calf came off her today) and a butty March 18 born CHx heifer 430kg @ €890 (she never grew and was bought by a butcher). Everyone I meet tells me cattle are a bad trade but I definitely don't see much value locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was quoted 3.50 for bullocks this week...would that be the general run of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Just off the phone to agent. Heifers 3.60 bullocks 3.55 and bulls 3.40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Why are we not getting last weeks prices uploaded on the beef price app .I am hearing all these low quotes being banded about but i guess factories are paying a good bit more .I can not understand lads panic selling now ,how much lower can the price actually go???
    In fairness factories always seem to drop the price towards the end of july due to holidays and a shorter week with the bank holiday ,there are not under as much pressure for numbers .I taught the deal with the beef price app was the previous weeks prices paid would be known the following friday It is currently only showing prices paid up to July 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KAMG

Cattle prices are down 5 cent a week for last 6 weeks or so pretty much. I killed some bullocks on 11 July and got 3.65. Killed some bullocks 3 weeks earlier on 20 June and got 3.80. Some more fit to go now and being quoted 3.55. Shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

3.50 for bullocks and 3.60 for heifers from Moyvalley today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/weeklypricesslaughterfigures/beefkillfiguresweeklyreports/2019/

There's approx 15th more young bulls killed this year, that might make steers a bit tighter later on. I went looking to see if more cows were killed this year compared to 2018, but there isn't a huge difference so far. As someone already pointed out, the figures for later in July have not been published yet.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Slaney 3.50 next week and Kildare 3.50 also.

Have some coming fit in next two weeks but going to let them run on a bit and see how August goes.

Mart trade still holding alright around here but is early.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have some coming fit in next two weeks but going to let them run on a bit and see how August goes.

Doing likewise, might as well. Plenty of quality grass, decent weather and no incentive to get them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No sense with the mart trade as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Cavanjack wrote: »
    No sense with the mart trade as usual.

You mean no sense with the factory trade as usual, ......

You mean no sense with the factory trade as usual, ......

No the mart trade. Stores are probable €200 too dear for any man buying to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

No the mart trade. Stores are probable €200 too dear for any man buying to finish.
    Sure the factory is still getting his cut , the lad sellin his stores is making nothing on them ,

Sure the factory is still getting his cut , the lad sellin his stores is making nothing on them ,

I know that. Nobody is making anything bar the factories.

Buying from farmers to sell to Larry is a Bolix of a racket. I’m a slow learner but this time I have learned my lesson.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Buying from farmers to sell to Larry is a Bolix of a racket. I’m a slow learner but this time I have learned my lesson.

What’s the alternative?

An auctioneer in these parts in older times used to say “farming land is like holding a fart, a lot of pressure for no good reason, you’d be better to let it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Willfarman wrote: »

I think buying forward stores to finish within 150 days is a struggle. Anytime I see these cattle selling in a mart I think the margin is too small to justify. If you look at costs straight of 40-50 euro go between transport, mart and slaughter fees. Add in time sourcing cattle every 3-5 months, I can never see the attraction. If you are renting land it's very hard to see a margin. Most short term finishing systems include high levels of ration in finishing diet. When you include the issue of trying to avoid nitrates, of having a nitrates plan it all adds into costs.

If you move to a 9-12 month system you reduce the workload. You are sourcing 1/3 of the cattle a forward store man is handling. This allows you more time to actually farm. Take out fixed costs associated with 2-3 days in the mart.

I looked at the 2017 accounts lately ration cost was slightly over 6K, previous to that it was double that. This year I have budgeted it at about 2750 euro. Profit/net margin has remained much the same but the workload associated with the ration and winter finishing has disappeared. If Larry wants me to haul ration he can give me a forward price for winter finishing

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

What’s the alternative?

Beef farmers are not the only frogs being slow boiled at the moment.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/if-bord-na-mona-and-esb-go-now-thats-it-for-lanesboro/

Rural Ireland is being sold out left, right and centre. This is treason Irish style - be careful who you vote(d) for.

They could be coming for dairy farmers next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement