Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Robson99 wrote: »
    I think this is the approach a lot more will take. Feck the 12 cent QA.
    1kg lwg a day at grass and in 3 weeks you would have pretty much have the 12 cent got back.
    Have 5 or 6 here that will be 30 months in Sept. Seriously thinking of letting them go till near xmas. Yes they will have to get meal in November and December but they will be much heavier.
    Whats the point in pushing them now and having to overpay for stores to eat the grass.
    IMO bord bia compliance farmers will soon be few and fr between

Correct I’m not jumping through hoops anymore bord bia or any other scheme. Both of us working full time with kids as well, leasing the place out is the only option when glas scheme is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I think this is the approach a lot more will take. Feck the 12 cent QA.
    1kg lwg a day at grass and in 3 weeks you would have pretty much have the 12 cent got back.
    Have 5 or 6 here that will be 30 months in Sept. Seriously thinking of letting them go till near xmas. Yes they will have to get meal in November and December but they will be much heavier.
    Whats the point in pushing them now and having to overpay for stores to eat the grass.
    IMO bord bia compliance farmers will soon be few and fr between

Fully agree with ye. I’m saying to hell with the 30 months too. As you say what’s the point in pushing them for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Do you have to apply to get access to the fund or will the department just work of records showing who killed what over the timeframe in question ?
    After reading the article from Adam Woods in the Farmers Journal, the Government have to inform the EU of what measures are entailed in the scheme by the 31st of July. After that application forms will be available and farmers will have to apply to the scheme. It doesn't say if farmers can apply directly or through their ag advisor. I hope that we can apply directly and avoid unwarranted costs.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/100m-beam-scheme-are-you-eligible-for-the-beef-aid-payment-478620

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gerryirl wrote: »
    Fully agree with ye. I’m saying to hell with the 30 months too. As you say what’s the point in pushing them for nothing

I can see them putting a bigger penalty for non QA if there's not enough Quality Assured cattle available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

....the whole point of knocking sh!te out of the price is to make stores cheap at the back end..... Lads will fill the sheds to get rode again.

Lads seriously seriously need to sit back and evaluate. And take full responsibility for their actions and stop lookng for a scapegoat.

Nobody is forcing anyone to produce cattle for nothing.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

wrangler wrote: »
    I can see them putting a bigger penalty for non QA if there's not enough Quality Assured cattle available

There’ll still be the same about of qa cattle the factories just won’t have to pay us the 12cent

Cavanjack wrote: »
    There’ll still be the same about of qa cattle the factories just won’t have to pay us the 12cent

If the farm isn't QA the cattle aren't QA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

wrangler wrote: »

Yeah this rather than increase the bonus for those that qualify. Fooked up

Muckit wrote: »
    Yeah this rather than increase the bonus for those that qualify. Fooked up

That's why I said it that way, they'll make sure to maximise QAs any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Just wondering how is the " 5% reduction in stocking rate in 2021 vs 2019" is going to work, will they pay you say 100 cattle killed x €100 plus 40 cow x €40 = €11,600 later on this year and then in 2021 if you don't meet this criteria they will take it all back from you, it seems a bit strange. I can tell you 1 thing i wouldn't be going banking on any of it just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭amacca

So do you have to be in an environmental scheme or quality assured during the reference period or when you apply etc

They'll have everyone tied up in knots soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

amacca wrote: »
    So do you have to be in an environmental scheme or quality assured during the reference period or when you apply etc

They'll have everyone tied up in knots soon.

I think a discussion group or the suckler scheme will qualify you as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Strange question to ask here but any quotes for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Just wondering how is the " 5% reduction in stocking rate in 2021 vs 2019" is going to work, will they pay you say 100 cattle killed x €100 plus 40 cow x €40 = €11,600 later on this year and then in 2021 if you don't meet this criteria they will take it all back from you, it seems a bit strange. I can tell you 1 thing i wouldn't be going banking on any of it just yet.

I imported slurry in the reference period. I presume not importing any this year will lower my nitrates and I can comply this way without reducing my stocking rate? There’ll be a lot of discussion before we see a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Lads seriously seriously need to sit back and evaluate. And take full responsibility for their actions and stop lookng for a scapegoat.

Tis easy for you and me to pull pin though Muckit in fairness. We have good off farm income. If you are a full time beef farmer it is not so easy to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Robson99

Cavanjack wrote: »
    There’ll be a lot of discussion before we see a penny.

There is always a catch with the ****ers. Feel like telling them to shove it up their hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »

Tis easy for you and me to pull pin though Muckit in fairness. We have good off farm income. If you are a full time beef farmer it is not so easy to stop.
    I don't know if its any harder for them than someone with an off farm job really. To be fulltume at beef now I'd wager most have a payment as good as a lot of lads wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't know if its any harder for them than someone with an off farm job really. To be fulltume at beef now I'd wager most have a payment as good as a lot of lads wages.

Thats the thing, fella renting land near me has €53,000 of a SFP, and about 25 sucklers and 40 bullocks. Why whould he bother having a day job. He'd be considered a full time beef farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Fair point bullocks. The thing about a lot of lads with large payments about here is that they are giving a savage cut of it out in rents every year to claim it. I know a tillage man with €80k of a payment but spends €70k on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Thats the thing, fella renting land near me has €53,000 of a SFP, and about 25 sucklers and 40 bullocks. Why whould he bother having a day job. He'd be considered a full time beef farmer.

To build a SFP of 53,000 he must have been a big operator in the relevant years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

epfff wrote: »
    Strange question to ask here but any quotes for next week?

3.55 midlands for bks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

MIKEKC wrote: »
    To build a SFP of 53,000 he must have been a big operator in the relevant years

His dad was a dealer/tangler. But never had 100s acres. Right place and time i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭White Clover

His dad was a dealer/tangler. But never had 100s acres. Right place and time i suppose.

Slaughter premiums at the time probably made him. Buying cattle and cows from farmers and killing in his own name.

I think a discussion group or the suckler scheme will qualify you as well

Thanks but was more concerned if you have to be in these schemes in the reference year or you could you join them in the future to qualify.

There is always a catch with the ****ers. Feel like telling them to shove it up their hole

Farmers would be in a better place if enough of them thought and acted like that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

amacca wrote: »
    Thanks but was more concerned if you have to be in these schemes in the reference year or you could you join them in the future to qualify.
    Reading the IFJ article, I posted the link above - "be Membership of 1 (BB) or 2 (DAFM agri environmental scheme) must be attained by the time of application or before any payment is issued"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »

Fair point bullocks. The thing about a lot of lads with large payments about here is that they are giving a savage cut of it out in rents every year to claim it. I know a tillage man with €80k of a payment but spends €70k on rent.
    You could say that's an exercise to make 10k. Personally I'd settle on 10 k on the home place if they could be worked that way which I'm sure they could at one stage. 70k per annum would pay back a fair lump of a loan for land either

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Anyone have prices for this week. I’ve bulls that need to go out the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Not going to feed cattle next winter but going to graze them on (FR bullocks). By next autumn they will have the 30 month limit and weight restrictions back in. Shower of not-nice-businessmen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Anyone have prices for this week. I’ve bulls that need to go out the gate

Not sure about next week yet, got 3.50 for Rs u24 mths earlier this wk.:( U16 mths should be a bit better.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement