Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That will most probably happen, if (when ever that is) the battle is won to contain the virus it would be absolute madness to waste 2-3 months lockdown by letting someone in to start an outbreak all over again. Harris had already hinted that overseas holidays for 2020 are 'highly unlikely' and thats politician speak for they are definitely canned and there's no chance of any tourists arriving either.

The EU will likely close it’s borders. I don’t see Ireland closing its borders to the EU & UK, or requiring mandatory quarantine for EU / UK travellers (France’s quarantine position, and the stated intent of Italy and Spain re. tourism, being evidence of this)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wakka12 wrote: »
    Almost 250 deaths in Mexico today..bit unexpected. Is there a lockdown in Mexico at the moment?

Yes and pretty strict too

Mexico city hospitals are overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

https://www.thejournal.ie/possible-covid-19-case-in-france-in-december-5092142-May2020/

I think we are all coming around to the fact that Covid-19 was in Europe and our country longer than we have been aware. Science now starting to confirm this.

Been posted several times already.

If it was around and as contagious as it is why where hospitals not overrun months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

celt262 wrote: »

If it was around and as contagious as it is why where hospitals not overrun months ago?

Because i dont think it impacts a good portion of society in a way that requires hospitalisation.

I think we'd be naive to think we dont have a lot more positive cases than our actual figures and that a lot of people just havent gotten tested.
    A number of reasons for this with the main being that symptoms have been so mild in many they didnt know they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Polar101

Because i dont think it impacts a good portion of society in a way that requires hospitalisation.

I think we'd be naive to think we dont have a lot more positive cases than our actual figures and that a lot of people just havent gotten tested.
    A number of reasons for this with the main being that symptoms have been so mild in many they didnt know they had it.

That's a lot of conclusions from one possible case in France. Definitely needs more investigation in different countries, so far there's not much evidence other than the French case, and random people thinking they had it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

celt262 wrote: »

You are waisting your time here.

If somebody believes up is down, you won't be able to convince them that it is actually up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Polar101 wrote: »
    That's a lot of conclusions from one possible case in France. Definitely needs more investigation in different countries, so far there's not much evidence other than the French case, and random people thinking they had it earlier.

It doesn't seem very likely that it wasnt here

A mild virus with a high RO widespread in a region that flies out 1.5 million passengers per month who didnt stop flights till 60 days after discovery

How could it not have spread to western world?

Did the Virus like Wuhan so much it stuck around for 60 days and not get on flights?

Either it was spreading globally or its not as contagious as we think

Good news anyway French case

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/genetics-coronavirus-spread-study/index.html

CNN story about, genetic diversity in the sarscov-2 and how this let's us know how long it has been circulating in the human population.

""This rules out any scenario that assumes SARSCoV-2 may have been in circulation long before it was identified, and hence have already infected large proportions of the population," Balloux's team wrote in their report, published in the journal Infection, Genetics and Evolution."

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus, every single one of your posts - which are opinions, you post as facts. Incredibly grating.

Agreed. Its really annoying.
    The bigger the spoofer, the more certain they are of their predictions like any pyramid scheme salesman. All attention-seeking.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I feel Austria is one country we shouldn't take any pointers from - they kept the ski resorts open for way too long despite being told "hey, we found a lot of virus infections from people who visited Tyrol". Maybe they've learned now, but they were a big contributor in the early spread of the virus.

I disagree, sure they didn't have a good start, but they have upped their game considerably, we can all improve and with so many approaches being tried there are plenty of lessons to be learned. The biggest mistake is assuming one single approach is the best one, as no two countries or even points in time are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Knock on from a different virus circulating in China.
    Mass Pig Deaths in China Cause Short Supply of U.S. Blood Thinner

A Chinese outbreak of African swine fever that has killed millions of pigs in the country has also led to falling U.S. supplies of a widely used drug derived from the animals, the anti-clotting drug heparin.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-30/mass-chinese-pig-deaths-cause-short-supply-of-u-s-blood-thinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

https://www.thejournal.ie/possible-covid-19-case-in-france-in-december-5092142-May2020/

I think we are all coming around to the fact that Covid-19 was in Europe and our country longer than we have been aware. Science now starting to confirm this.

if they can re-test this patient they can re-test many more

so have they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Polar101

Mike3287 wrote: »

Either it was spreading globally or its not as contagious as we think

Good news anyway French case

Yeah, obviously it would be great if what we had in March-April was the "next, worse wave". More discoveries will be made, and then we'll have a better idea on what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The EU will likely close it’s borders. I don’t see Ireland closing its borders to the EU & UK, or requiring mandatory quarantine for EU / UK travellers (France’s quarantine position, and the stated intent of Italy and Spain re. tourism, being evidence of this)

If that’s a case then the current lockdown is a complete waste of time, if there’s no quarantine and no closed borders to other European basket cases then expect many future lockdowns or health system tipping over.

Can’t have it both ways.

The wife of the Paris case from December 27th worked at Charles de Gaulle Airport. 3 direct Air France flights from Wuhan landed in Charles de Gaulle Airport every week in December. I think this fact supports that it was an initial slow spread out of Wuhan rather than it being widespread in Europe long before February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Horrible and worrying.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kawasaki-disease-15-children-hospitalized-new-york-city-coronavirus-link/

And to think some idiots wanted schools back this month.

I hope the supplier don't do what they did when this happened before and substitute fake ingredients
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-xpm-2011-06-09-ct-biz-0610-baxter-heparin-20110609-story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Irish scientists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Horrible and worrying.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kawasaki-disease-15-children-hospitalized-new-york-city-coronavirus-link/

That would make most of Europe idiots then, aren't most of their schools going back/back now or soon? But sure what would they know ;)

Horrible and worrying.

Kawasaki disease is a very rare post viral complication that appears to be caused by the bodies own immune response. Given the fact that we are in the midst of a pandemic and with the likes of New York having hundreds of thousands of confirmed cases and almost certainly >> 1 million actual cases, it may simply be a case that the large number of viral infections occurring at the same time have caused a spike in instances of Kawasaki occurring simultaneously rather than spread out over time due to the condition being triggered by covid. Instances of KD in the US is estimated at between 17.6 and 20.8 cases per 100,000, and given far in excess of 100,000 kids are likely to have contracted the virus in New York, 15 cases may not actually represent and overall increase.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5856963/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote:
    Jesus, every single one of your posts - which are opinions, you post as facts. Incredibly grating.
    Most of his posts have been very good. An excellent contributor all through this thing.
    And he obviously cares about lives over money as do I.

And all we have to do is remain in our semi-lockdown for another couple of weeks and we'll see if it's safe to to move forward with a phased re-opening. Spain are the guinea pigs for the second wave and we'll start to see results of that in about ten days.,

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If that’s a case then the current lockdown is a complete waste of time, if there’s no quarantine and no closed borders to other European basket cases then expect many future lockdowns or health system tipping over.

Can’t have it both ways.

That’s an irrational fear in my view, given that the trajectory of the virus in every EU country is going the right way. And I don’t see our government going against the EU with respect to border control.

It’s not like people will be travelling tomorrow, other than essential trips where families are spread across borders, as nothing is open anywhere. We are talking the summer at the earliest, and even then will be a slow start.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

spookwoman wrote: »
    uk ranked 2nd for deaths

It's hardly surprising.

The stiff upper lip pandemic response was never a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

road_high wrote: »
    That would make most of Europe idiots then, aren't most of their schools going back/back now or soon? But sure what would they know ;)

The EU has had a falling number of active cases for over a week at this point. The US is still increasing in the number of active cases. And indeed has over double the EU number inspite of the EU having a larger population. Similarly EU cases and deaths are far smaller in recent days than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

learner161 wrote: »
    We closed borders in 2001 so why couldn't we do it again.

We did? For what?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

El Weirdo wrote: »
    We did? For what?

Foot and Mouth Disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Miike wrote: »
    May also be related to the fact not a lot of funerals happening and this is a way disseminating the fact someone has passed.

I was of the opinion pretty much every death these days went on RIP.ie, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Are the ladies more worried about dying or dyeing during this pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Stheno wrote: »
    Testing criteria relaxed no longer need to be in a priority group just sudden onset of symptoms

Also very low positive rate testing last week, think they said 3%

as a matter of interest, anyone know how much a single test costs from administering to final result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Are the ladies more worried about dying or dyeing during this pandemic?

My wife did ask me how Sharon Ni B on the RTE News seemed to have her blond highlights (I think, don't really understand this stuff) done, was she getting RTE hairdressers or who to do it. Maybe they can do highlights themselves...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement