Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Folks, think about it. It's a glorious sunny weekend.
    Part of the reason may be that they learned from the idiotic, moronic behaviour of last week.

They probably decided "We have a population of imbeciles. Asking them nicely to behave & restrict themselves does not work. We've tried it & they failed to heed the requests".

Hence stricter rules now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Can we let our small kids out and play in the back garden of our house or across the road to a small green area?
    House is detached and back garden only has one neighbour
    but the green area is used by about 4 houses. Obviously we won’t have our kids on the green area while any other family is there
    Can we do a bit of gardening during the fine weather? Out our front driveway for example we would be more than 10 meters from anyone else

Maybe silly questions but we need to keep sane and don’t want to frighten the kids entirely by locking them in the house

Just watch out for those internet challenge scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I think people just need to use a bit of common sense when interpreting the restrictions.

If you're genuinely intending to follow the rules but technically break them because of a misinterpretation, then you're probably not the target of them and the cops aren't going to haul you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Thank you - that’s my understanding also. There are people on this post saying that a husband and wife can’t bring their kids together.

I think your understanding is wrong based on the actual text from the CMO. I’ve attached it here and it clearly says individual physical exercise, which may include children from the household. Children, not other adults.

This will allow it to be policed easier as otherwise no one would know if two adults were in the same household or not and it could be more easily flaunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I thought the Gardai already came out and said they wouldn't be performing checkpoints, as it was unnecessarily putting the Gardai in close contact with people, at a time when self isolation and social distancing is the go-to?

Maybe this has changed? I'm just not sure how the Gardai will deal with this. They can't police the most in-your-face crimes of lads on scrambler bikes, how are the going to police whether Im going to the shop or meeting someone for a cup of tea :rolleyes:

There were checkpoints up until yesterday:-

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1243601192644739072?s=19

This was released last night:-

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1243669643698601984?s=19

And horse patrols out this morning:-

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1243809500689321984?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My grandmother has always disliked bad news and the non stop Brexit nonsense did her head in. She doesn’t want to hear about people dying and lockdowns.

We put the AppleTV for happy stuff like musicals. Hence why I need to go out. My sister has the replacement Siri remote.

I have to keep the phone use to a minimum or she will think I’m “hooking up birds” on it. :p

We are on day one of this tighter shut down so it's really guesswork but I think common sense will dictate what the exemptions are. Leo clearly stated that you can go to your elderly parents to care for them. Common sense will tell you that you risk infecting them & I would assume you wont make unnecessary trips to them or put them at risk by visiting without a genuine reason. My own mum has been locked down in her own room for over 2 weeks. My sister & her kids live in the same house. My mum in her mid 80s is high risk. With or without the new rules I wouldn't visit her & put her at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

La.m wrote: »
    I think the whole point is to not gather outside at all. So I think going with the letter of the law you couldn’t have them out playing on the green but in your own property grounds you’re fine. So garden/driveway is fine. My thoughts are basically if you leave your house don’t stop moving. Your either going for a short walk or your doing the shopping, no more stopping for a socially distant chat or sitting on a wall with a coffee.

If we were to go to the green it would just be for a 10 minute kick around for a bit of exercise
    Yes what I will need to tell the kids is that they can’t just jump on their scooters and go play out in the park. We will need to supervise them each time they need to go out

I see that is a growing number of boffins who are saying these worries and restrictions are nonsense and doing more harm than good. That the death toll in Italy is almost the same as this time last year.

Economies will be ruined and vulnerable people will die from the rules, not the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I see that is a growing number of boffins who are saying these worries and restrictions are nonsense and doing more harm than good. That the death toll in Italy is almost the same as this time last year.

Economies will be ruined and vulnerable people will die from the rules, not the virus.

Can you link a source please?

I think your understanding is wrong based on the actual text from the CMO. I’ve attached it here and it clearly says individual physical exercise, which may include children from the household. Children, not other adults.

This will allow it to be policed easier as otherwise no one would know if two adults were in the same household or not and it could be more easily flaunted.

That's shocking. You need to read the entire speech or watch the youtube video of it because he goes on to say family unit within a minute of where you have underlined. That's very selective reporting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Simon Harris on the radio there now. Regulations currently with the Attorney General. He expects to sign them at some stage over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The Gardaí aren't going to clampdown on a few small kids scooting/cycling with their parents.

2 people walking together but have a gap. Not going to be taking the measuring tape out.

Common sense and people will be fine.

Should have closed the Phoenix Park and the likes a few weeks ago only way in and out is to the hospital and Garda HQ. Roads blocked outside of them.

I can imagine the queues in shops this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Public notice in today's Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Walked down to local shop ...and definitely the over 70,s not adhering to new guidelines.. same as any morning all having a chat and in buying the newspaper. A group of four all out for a walk together having a great chat.. if that was teenagers out and about same people would be giving out bollox that there were putting everyone in danger...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is rubbish collection still happening?

arctictree wrote: »
    Is rubbish collection still happening?

Yes. Essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’d love to believe that. However Italy’s death toll averaged at about 155 per day for the past 3 years. Now we’re seeing 600-800 die per day.

What’s the source of this claim?

All public & private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited
    Families can still go for a walk together

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Thank you - confirms my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Interesting. That is different from the more detailed advice from the CMO. It’s going to be interesting to see how it’s interpreted by the public at large.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We are on day one of this tighter shut down so it's really guesswork but I think common sense will dictate what the exemptions are. Leo clearly stated that you can go to your elderly parents to care for them. Common sense will tell you that you risk infecting them & I would assume you wont make unnecessary trips to them or put them at risk by visiting without a genuine reason. My own mum has been locked down in her own room for over 2 weeks. My sister & her kids live in the same house. My mum in her mid 80s is high risk. With or without the new rules I wouldn't visit her & put her at risk.

I live with my Nan so we have been “locked down” together for weeks. We stocked up on food but have others who deliver dinners when whenever Nana says she can’t take another one of mine. :)

I don’t want to have to go out but it is necessary or else we have no proper entertainment except doom and gloom on RTÉ. Long before this virus I have “social distancing” - I don’t like strangers near my personal space. I’d cross the road anyway.

I just don’t want a potentially infected Garda to be near me or to be a distraction when I’m sure there is plenty for them to do.

I’ll be using common sense and I hope the Guards are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

What about shared custody of children ?

Also I regularly travel 5 km to feed a pet , not a farm animal.

Are we going to need permits/proof which can be hard to provide and endure stressful interrogation or will common sense prevail about who is stopped going about their business ?

I’d love to believe that. However Italy’s death toll averaged at about 155 per day for the past 3 years. Now we’re seeing 600-800 die per day.

What’s the source of this claim?

Northern Italy is heavily polluted (been there and this is true) and respiratory problems are apparently common.

It is not unreasonable that the virus has simply brought Italy’s high death to light. I mean how people died in Ireland every day before the virus?

I had a quick google but I’m not a skilled enough searcher. Every death statistic is related to CoVid 19. However I also have not see the evidence that these death are indeed related to CoVid 19. This is the claim of another set of of boffins.

Which boffins are right? I have no idea. I won’t dismiss either claim but I will continue with the precautions and common sense for the sake of my grandparents.

These rules do not make my life harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Does anyone have a link to the rules re cocooning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

People mention shopping but may overlook this so please view and share as your life depends on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=emb_logo

What about shared custody of children ?

I think as long as both parents have been taking the precautions and there is no “underlying health issues” then arrangements can continue as normal.

In fact, it might allow extra visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I think as long as both parents have been taking the precautions and there is no “underlying health issues” then arrangements can continue as normal.

In fact, it might allow extra visits.

what about shared custody where there's an informal friendly agreement and no legal piece of paper?

I live with my Nan so we have been “locked down” together for weeks. We stocked up on food but have others who deliver dinners when whenever Nana says she can’t take another one of mine. :)

I don’t want to have to go out but it is necessary or else we have no proper entertainment except doom and gloom on RTÉ. Long before this virus I have “social distancing” - I don’t like strangers near my personal space. I’d cross the road anyway.

I just don’t want a potentially infected Garda to be near me or to be a distraction when I’m sure there is plenty for them to do.

I’ll be using common sense and I hope the Guards are too.

Myself & my adult son are autistic. We are absolutely loving the social distancing. I still work everyday. The only change for me is no more eating out & I miss my Friday afternoon pint with my pal. Outside of that I'm more relaxed now than I have been in decades. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any idea what time this list will be published?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Where does it say that going out for exercise has to be on your own? I can’t see any reference to that in Leo’s speech. Are people jumping to conclusions here? Surely 2 parents can go out together with their kids provided within 2Km of house

Does anyone have clarification on this ?
    Can parents take their kids out for a walk or can only 1 parent go out at a time with the kids?
    Is there a specific instruction regarding this and if so can someone send the link.
    Also are the parks all closed?

Advertisement