Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

nails1 wrote: »
    I work in a the warehouse of a DHL couriers . Is this considered an essential business to remain open?

You’ll find out when you turn up tomorrow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

noodler wrote: »
    Well, think it through.

Is one guy in a car the point of these measures or is it a bunch of people congregating?

Well, if I went for a drive right now, for no valid reason, I'd be one guy in a car, but I'd be blatantly breaching the restrictions. And if the guards see me driving to work in the morning, they've no way of knowing (unless they stop me) whether I have a 'valid' reason to be out or not. I'm hoping it'll be a common-sense approach by the guards, applied with a light touch and nothing heavy-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well, if I went for a drive right now, for no valid reason, I'd be one guy in a car, but I'd be blatantly breaching the restrictions. And if the guards see me driving to work in the morning, they've no way of knowing (unless they stop me) whether I have a 'valid' reason to be out or not. I'm hoping it'll be a common-sense approach by the guards, applied with a light touch and nothing heavy-handed.

Again, a bit of cop. Don’t go if you don’t have to. If you’re going to the shop. Tell them. If you’re going to work tell them

They will not be stopping individual drivers though

Dodge wrote: »
    Again, a bit of cop. Don’t go if you don’t have to. If you’re going to the shop. Tell them. If you’re going to work tell them

They will not be stopping individual drivers though

I suspect they will have a number of stop and question check points out tomorrow , stopping everyone , rather like tax checks

I am a dog walker, the last two weeks my work is only two dogs both of whom belong to disabled ladies. One of them is in total isolation as she is very vunerable. According to these two women my service is essential right now. Definitely for one of them, her dog would go crazy and wreck the place. She has sons but one of them is symptomatic, another told to self isolate and the third one abroad. I see care of animals on the list in relation to farm animals. I am hoping my work will also be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BoatMad wrote: »
    I suspect they will have a number of stop and question check points out tomorrow , stopping everyone , rather like tax checks

So everybody can say ‘off to the shops’.

Think about it a little...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

They're already very visible (I literally saw more Garda than civilian cars on the roads over the last few nights), but actual checkpoints are likely to be the nearest they'll get to 'enforcing' the government's message.

Yes but the point is it’s shows that such checks exist , whether they are effective remains to be seen, as Leo said , the Gov can’t do much more , just exactly what would yiu like to see , roadside executions ?

I thought the Gardai already came out and said they wouldn't be performing checkpoints, as it was unnecessarily putting the Gardai in close contact with people, at a time when self isolation and social distancing is the go-to?

Maybe this has changed? I'm just not sure how the Gardai will deal with this. They can't police the most in-your-face crimes of lads on scrambler bikes, how are the going to police whether Im going to the shop or meeting someone for a cup of tea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rosiem wrote:
    My local shop has no future delivery dates available and next available click and collect is 8th April the shops need help in picking up this service to avoid people going to shops

I'm not disagreeing with you. Leo said that carers would be allowed to care for the elderly & were essential services. He then stated professional carers & family carers. Dropping shopping at your mams front door is allowed. He also said that the 2k rule will be very difficult to police. I'll be putting up possibly 100 miles in a day in the course of my work. I can function if I'm pulled over & questioned every 10 miles.

In some countries you get online and fill in the form stating where you are going and for what reason including date and time. If stopped the Gardai can check this & either fine you or let you go about your business.

These measures would have been introduced two weeks ago but they didn't have the legislation to back it up. They rushed it thr the Dail and made the public statement within hours of the president signing it.

• Advertisement

They're already very visible (I literally saw more Garda than civilian cars on the roads over the last few nights), but actual checkpoints are likely to be the nearest they'll get to 'enforcing' the government's message.

Very visible the last few days. I saw middle aged Gardai walking the beat this week. These guys haven't seen the outside of the station in decades by the looks of them. The mounted Gardai were patrolling St Anne's Park yesterday. The only time Raheny sees the mounted police is for events with massive numbers like the Raheny Festival or the gigs in St Anne's Park. Extremely noticeable changes in policing this week. Not in a threatening way I should point out

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

My parents live about 20km from me. They are cocooned. Is it possible for me to exceed the 2km limit to leave groceries on their doorstep?
    The 2km is in relation to exercise
    Can leave supplies to your parents
    Social visits not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Just had a woman prevent me from doing my usual walk down a country path/road, claiming it was 'hers' because she lived there and that she wouldn't be letting people walk down it during lockdown. It's a public road dotted with houses and farm land on either side that is within 2km from my house. This lockdown is going to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

Where does it say that going out for exercise has to be on your own? I can’t see any reference to that in Leo’s speech. Are people jumping to conclusions here? Surely 2 parents can go out together with their kids provided within 2Km of house

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Where does it say that going out for exercise has to be on your own? I can’t see any reference to that in Leo’s speech. Are people jumping to conclusions here? Surely 2 parents can go out together with their kids provided within 2Km of house

He stated that you must go alone except for being in the family unit that you live with. If there are 10 in the family they 10 can go out together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Can a person go for a walk on their own?

I have an errand today but I don’t want an guards approaching who could potentially infect me as I’m my Nan’s carer.

And will she still be getting her meals on wheels? She gets one a week.

Can a person go for a walk on their own?

I have an errand today but I don’t want an guards approaching who could potentially infect me as I’m my Nan’s carer.

And will she still be getting her meals on wheels? She gets one a week.

Yes up to 2K from your home. Leo said that the 2K rule will be difficult to enforce though

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes up to 2K from your home. Leo said that the 2K rule will be difficult to enforce though

Okay and what is supposed to be wrong with going further?

I’ve been on different media sites and they are each reporting it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

He stated that you must go alone except for being in the family unit that you live with. If there are 10 in the family they 10 can go out together

Thank you - that’s my understanding also. There are people on this post saying that a husband and wife can’t bring their kids together.

My destination is just under 2KM

I didn’t know the distance until now and walk that regularly.

Very surprised I’m able :p

• Advertisement

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Thank you - that’s my understanding also. There are people on this post saying that a husband and wife can’t bring their kids together.

Yes I saw a lot of scare mongering on other threads last night.

People were either being malicious in doing or oblivious to their own lack of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Leo did mention it's relying on people's consent to work.
    They don't want to enforce it.

The reason we have to do it is to save lives.
    He hopes people of Ireland will value all our lives more than non essential travel.

What he did & didn't say can be seen here. Make your own mind up. I'd tend to ignore news media that try to put a scary slant on leos words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Can we let our small kids out and play in the back garden of our house or across the road to a small green area?
    House is detached and back garden only has one neighbour
    but the green area is used by about 4 houses. Obviously we won’t have our kids on the green area while any other family is there
    Can we do a bit of gardening during the fine weather? Out our front driveway for example we would be more than 10 meters from anyone else

Maybe silly questions but we need to keep sane and don’t want to frighten the kids entirely by locking them in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Yes I saw a lot of scare mongering on other threads last night.

People were either being malicious in doing or oblivious to their own lack of understanding.

My understanding was one adult with children. I took that from the giv.ie website which says

"to take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures"

The fact that it says *individual* exercise made me think only one adult per household, but maybe I've misunderstood?

Link to full text:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can we let our small kids out and play in the back garden of our house or across the road to a small green area?

They can play in the garden but not on the green is my reading.

Edit: Looks like you can bring the kids, but maybe not let the kids go out as a group unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

but the green area is used by about 4 houses. Obviously we won’t have our kids on the green area while any other family is there
    Can we do a bit of gardening during the fine weather? Out our front driveway for example we would be more than 10 meters from anyone else

Maybe silly questions but we need to keep sane and don’t want to frighten the kids entirely by locking them in the house

Yes, that's fine.
    'stay in your home' is just a more direct way or saying 'stay away from everyone'.

Your gardens are perfect and your lucky to have them.
    As you said, just be sure no other kids mix with yours.
    Maybe keep in touch with other parents in case theirs need to get out too.

The back garden is fine as this is part of your home. In practice the front of your home is ok too. These laws / rules are to allow the gardai break up large groups of people, adults or children. They wont be chasing your children with a Billy Stick if they are keeping the two meter rule from their friends

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

I think the whole point is to not gather outside at all. So I think going with the letter of the law you couldn’t have them out playing on the green but in your own property grounds you’re fine. So garden/driveway is fine. My thoughts are basically if you leave your house don’t stop moving. Your either going for a short walk or your doing the shopping, no more stopping for a socially distant chat or sitting on a wall with a coffee.

• Advertisement

What he did & didn't say can be seen here. Make your own mind up. I'd tend to ignore news media that try to put a scary slant on leos words.

My grandmother has always disliked bad news and the non stop Brexit nonsense did her head in. She doesn’t want to hear about people dying and lockdowns.

We put the AppleTV for happy stuff like musicals. Hence why I need to go out. My sister has the replacement Siri remote.

I have to keep the phone use to a minimum or she will think I’m “hooking up birds” on it. :p

Advertisement