Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Looks like it was removed.

What is the jist of it?

Still there. Jist of it is that a school trip to affected part of Italy happened.

hse letter issued to say watch out for symptoms and report if a child develops symptoms. Nothing about staying at home for 2 weeks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There has already been suspected cases in Kerry, Cork, Dublin. All negative so far.

Everything is rumour and speculation.

No... it's true. Coronavirus exists.... it's in Europe even!
    It's only a matter of time before it comes here, maybe even a very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Your post neglects to mention that those kids were in Europe's main affected zone?
    This is like saying, let's calm down about the smouldering fire and only get up out of the chair when the fire breaks out.

They were there for 1 week. Covid 19 is asymptomatic for 14 days so any test would be negative and a waste. Just prepare your household to have a bad flu for a couple weeks. This thread is a copy and paste of the same arguments and counter arguments and stats and China every couple of pages, read 2 you've read them all. I'll pop back when there's a confirmed case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

joe_99 wrote: »
    Flu is a danger to people with poor immunity. Coronavirus is a danger to people with poor immunity.

The false equivalence you are trying to draw there is pretty obvious.
    I could repeat that trick a hundred times.
    X is a danger to people with poor immunity.
    It says nothing about the actual danger.
    Come off it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mods, where art thou?

Why mods needed? Coz you don't agree?
    Are mods also needed for those saying hundreds of millions are gonna die? Both extremes need to be treated same level of disbeliefuntil more is known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How many children were on the cruise? A quarter of the Irish population is under 18. A quarter of the ship were not children. Hence older demographic on cruise ship. 0.5% death rate needs to be factored down as a result.

Yeh obviously it wouldn't be that high though I'm sure there's plenty of childten on it, lots of childcare facilties and entertainment on board. Then you've to also take into account how unlikely ill people and people with serious underlying conditions will be to go on a long haul trans continental cruise , a third of the people on the ship being very able bodied workers many doing manual labour , all passengers being middle class and hence having much longer life span and much better health on average than general pop, you could analyse it to death, I think you'll find the cruise ship will be highly representative of the mortality rate to expect worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Time for another "a friend of a friend heard from his mother that someone down the road has it" post yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What the expert doctors were basically saying in Prime Time is that we economically can not afford to take measures that have been taken in other countries, so que sera sera.

Western countries would stand for the measures taken in China

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

This virus kills through ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome) and requires a significant* number of patients who have contracted the disease to be placed onto oxygen ventilation machines for treatment. This is fine- IF only a couple of thousand people contract the disease in any given country at any one time.

If this develops into a pandemic, the fatality rate will skyrocket as no country has the medical resources to support hundreds of thousands of patients requiring high levels of medical interventions and resources. It's unbelievably foolish to compare this to the flu. Also, its for this same reason that any third world countries where this develops into a pandemic are extremely vulnerable. However, what might save them is the majority of these countries are in hot, arid climates (virus spreads in water droplets which suits cooler countries)

*I recall vaguely it was quoted in a recent medical journal (the name escapes me) that ventilation intervention for the treatment of the coronavirus cases with those admitted to hospital
    was somewhere from 30-60% of all hospital admission.

Flu is a danger to people with poor immunity. Coronavirus is a danger to people with poor immunity.

There is a difference to be fair. There is a semi effective vaccine for the flu. It reduces cases by about 60% but can vary from year to year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The CDC in the United States have told the American public to prepare for a pandemic but yeah posters on boards are overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

So you get the symptoms. Then you are supposed to self-isolate/quarantine. So you go home and infect everyone there including your elderly parents/ grandparents. You won't get tested. Probably you won't get treated. The two "experts" on prime time strayed into economics an area they're not qualified to advise in.
    They also are unaware that it's a lower respiratory illness of dry cough. The number of times they mentioned sneezing, not a symptom. Also the virus is airborne meaning it can be caught from a close proximity to an infectious person not just droplet. Kept saying to refer to the department website. For god's sake tell us. Pantomine

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The CDC in the United States have told the American public to prepare for a pandemic but yeah posters on boards are overreacting.

The annual flu is an epidemic.....
    Worst case scenario, this joins it.

Here's an easy to understand example. People who are immunosupressed are very vulnerable to this virus according to all reports. For example, I have a good friend (a young person) with Lupus (an auto-immune disease) and resulting Kidney Disease. For this person, catching the coronavirus could be fatal.

Those comparing this with the flu aren't taking into account the amount of vulnerable people who are able to take action and protect themselves by getting the flu vaccine. There is no vaccine for this and we have been told that it is highly contagious.

This friend needs to travel for kidney dialysis to a major hospital x3 times per week. It's going to be very hard for this person to self isolate and try to avoid catching this when their life already depends on access to dialysis, at a hospital would could end up full of people with this virus. As someone who cares about this person, this makes me concerned, too.

It's a stressful current event for anyone in a vulnerable situation.

Absolutely! I used to be on immune suppression when I had ulcerative colitis. Was hospitalised with sudden severe pneumonia. One of the very reasons I underwent the major panproctocolectomy with end ileostomy, so that I would no longer be immune suppressed and would have one less worry in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percent of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Absolutely! I used to be on immune suppression when I had ulcerative colitis. Was hospitalised with sudden severe pneumonia. One of the very reasons I underwent the major panproctocolectomy with end ileostomy, so that I would no longer be immune suppressed and would have one less worry in life.

I looked up what that way. Fair play for surviving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I use to watch a programme that showed americans who built underground bunkers and its fully stocked with food water guns etc..

thought they were mad, but if this was to turn into a pandemic, well that would be quite ironic for me laughing at them thinking they are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Tempted to book the cheap flights to Italy for a one day trip just for the two weeks off work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

At least 6.8 percent of people who developed the flu during the 2019–2020 flu season in the United States have died (as of February 2020), compared to around 2 percent of those diagnosed with the 2019 coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#S2

If 6.8% of people who got flu died hundreds of millions of people worldwide would die every year

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I use to watch a programme that showed americans who built underground bunkers and its fully stocked with food water guns etc..

thought they were mad, but if this was to turn into a pandemic, well that would be quite ironic for me laughing at them thinking they are nuts.

They are mad.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    If 6.8% of people who got flu died hundreds of millions of people worldwide would die every year

How do you work that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What department does she work in?

I've looked online and i can't see what your talking about. You made the claim, do you have a source?

There was stories of chinese universities developing a rapid test, but those preliminary studies are way off being available for commercial use worldwide.

It was a week or two ago Dublin company called Hibergene developed a fast tracking Covid-19 test that apparently delivers results in an hour, they apparently sent it over to China during the Wuhan crisis for scientists to test there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

wakka12 wrote: »

CDC figures not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

I've been told they had test kits that turned out to be faulty and of no use and now they are waiting on an updated batch from the UK which they may have taken delivery of today. They are the onsite test kits like the throat swab but these are still very hit and miss. A tracheal aspirate seems to be the best way of quickly determining a positive test for this virus.

Tracheal aspirate? Ffs. You’re clearly delusional if you think that’s the way forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

It was a week or two ago Dublin company called Hibergene developed a fast tracking Covid-19 test that apparently delivers results in an hour, they apparently sent if over to China during the Wuhan crisis.

Did they tell the department of health?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The two "experts" on prime time strayed into economics an area they're not qualified to advise in.

Thats was VERY interesting when they did that. They were asked what they though should be done. The gave a counter argument to their field of knowledge. Theres a particular reason when people do such things. Its when they know if they tell someone what they are thinking its will hurt their feelings/scare them. They had an actual opinion, they wouldn't say it. Maybe they are scared to contemplate it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Another case in Spain, this time Madrid. They got it from travelling around Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Tempted to book the cheap flights to Italy for a one day trip just for the two weeks off work

I had a look earlier actually, worried that the game might be cancelled, but that there might be a cheap trip to Milano available the weekend after next. Not a bit of it. All flights in the hundreds of €. Fingers cross sense prevails, and the game goes ahead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Think we ll all have to find that underground city that the Manson family were on about 50 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If it hits South America and the WHO don’t classify it as a pandemic I’m calling shenanigans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement