Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

wakka12 wrote: »
    Surprised to hear Ireland has tested 91, thats actually decent. America has only tested 450

how long ago tho? did they test anyone in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Surprised to hear Ireland has tested 91, thats actually decent. America has only tested 450

Scotland has tested 450 - Ireland seems low in comparison.
    Italy has tested 6000+ as of yesterday.

US probably relying on the travel restrictions but the Italy breakout is a game changer given the proximity to Milan etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wakka12 wrote:
    Where did you get this? Or did Harris say it? I didnt see the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

tillyfilly wrote: »

have some rocket salad

Probably catch E coli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I believe many of these were from the Dublin, Cork and Kerry suspected cases.

I would think this will increase due to the school trips in Waterford

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Probably catch E coli.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    how long ago tho? did they test anyone in the last few days?

They’ve been testing people for over 2 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Hmmm
    Space Dog wrote: »
    So he was served by someone in a shop and they identified your friend's GP who rang your friend? Sure, Jan.

The shop keeper compiled a list of people he knew, tht he served, contacted the GP for himself along with the list.

My buddy and the shop keeper use the same GP...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

MaraMara wrote: »
    It’s been announce in Spain that as an extraordinary measure, every single person lying in hospitals in the country with pneumonia will be tested for Coronavirus as prevention.

Some common sense on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    His GP contacted him, and told him to ring a HSE number

Good story but bull s
    If you present or contact your gp and there is a suspicion that you contracted the virus they are obligated to report it

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Scotland has tested 450 - Ireland seems low in comparison.
    Italy has tested 6000+ as of yesterday.

US probably relying on the travel restrictions but the Italy breakout is a game changer given the proximity to Milan etc

Italy took 1700 swats only yesterday alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

first new infection in Germany (Baden-Württemberg)
    25 years old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Looking at these football games tonight, can't help but think of spreaders and superspreaders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Two scenarios, 5 months from now everything will be all back to normal and people have already forgotten about it.

Or, 5 months from now it will be a scene resembling a zombie movie for real, the dead left decaying on the streets, whole families dead hiding under the stairs, food and water becoming more valuable than money, major crimes and looting, marshal law, power and gas cuts then completely gone, only the well prepped will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ZX7R wrote: »
    Good story but bull s
    If you present or contact your gp and there is a suspicion that you contracted the virus they are obligated to report it

Happened as of this morning...But the HSE are utterly incompetent so it probably will be reported sometime next week...

Nobody confirmed as my mate as yet to be tested, but shop keeper had returned from Tenerife within the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

MadYaker wrote: »
    So do you think millions could be dead in China? Thats conspiracy nonsense as far as im concerned. You can't cover that up in this day and age.

I think they may have supressed numbers somewhat but numbers are unreliable anyway as there will be many who got the virus and recovered, never getting tested so not in the stats and surely some who died also not recorded as killed by the virus so not in the stats.

What worries me is that EU governments won't be able to do what China did to the same extent. China is an authoritarian state where the collective is valued above the individual so the government can take extreme measures at very short notice. Here in the EU we've gotten awful used to our freedoms of movement etc.

Ive been on this since December. Ive been listening to guys like you say its nothing since January. All completely wrong up till now. I may be listening to guys like you saying the same shi* next month. Im not once for conspiracy but nor am I one to ignore whats in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Phil.x wrote: »
    Two scenarios, 5 months from now everything will be all back to normal and people have already forgotten about it.

Or, 5 months from now it will be a scene resembling a zombie movie for real, the dead left decaying on the streets, whole families dead hiding under the stairs, food and water becoming more valuable than money, major crimes and looting, marshal law, power and gas cuts then completely gone, only the well prepped will survive.

Its probably becoming an old news story in some countries already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Ive been on this since December. Ive been listening to guys like you say its nothing since January. All completely wrong up till now. I may be listening to guys like you saying the same shi* next month. Im not once for conspiracy but nor am I one to ignore whats in front of me.

I never said it was nothing. You didn't really answer my question

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    the same words were pronounced in Italy last week
    "Italy is safe, there is no risk here"

And has Italy closed all the schools in the country and suspended parliament like that poster suggest we do here?

The OTT hysteria on this thread is doing nothing but causing panic to people who may be susceptible to...well...hypochondriac tendencies.

As of today, there are no Corona virus outbreaks in Ireland. The thread title includes the words 'don't panic', but you'd swear we were in the middle of the Black Death.

Be measured, report the FACTS and calm the feck down with mental number projections and wild supposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Ive a strong feeling tomorrow will be our first day.

• Advertisement

Rather worrying tweets from Philip Boucher-Hayes:

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1232373408471666690?s=21

School children returned home to Bray from Italy with flu-like illness and HSE is not in position to test them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

To quote the title of the REM song "It`s The End Of The World As We Know It". Time to get off this planet while we still can and start a human colony on the Moon or Mars or wherever. Anyone know of any rockets for sale?

Mad Mike has one that he's not using anymore...

You might need to be handy with a spanner and gaffer tape though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

A CT scan can detect pneumonia, a complication from the virus. A CT scan cannot detect the virus.

Testing is carried out on samples of sputum(phlegm) or swabs from the nose and throat. They are not blood tests.

What reports?

There's a lot of unverified rumours flying around here between tweets, youtube and tabloids. The thread is moving so quickly that people are accepting things as fact and keep scrolling.

I've been told they had test kits that turned out to be faulty and of no use and now they are waiting on an updated batch from the UK which they may have taken delivery of today. They are the onsite test kits like the throat swab but these are still very hit and miss. A tracheal aspirate seems to be the best way of quickly determining a positive test for this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,274 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tara73 wrote: »
    first new infection in Germany (Baden-Württemberg)
    25 years old...

Returned from Milan - Need to quarantine Italy

And has Italy closed all the schools in the country and suspended parliament like that poster suggest we do here?

The OTT hysteria on this thread is doing nothing but causing panic to people who may be susceptible to...well...hypochondriac tendencies.

As of today, there are no Corona virus outbreaks in Ireland. The thread title includes the words 'don't panic', but you'd swear we were in the middle of the Black Death.

Be measured, report the FACTS and calm the feck down with mental number projections and wild supposition.

There are good reasons to believe that the virus is here already. Thanks god people are starting to worry a little more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

School children returned home to Bray from Italy with flu-like illness and HSE is not in position to test them.

All that’s missing is Laurel and Hardy music if this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

wylo wrote: »
    Its probably becoming an old news story in some countries already.

But this is ‘false reporting and fake news’ according to many.

For the vast majority of people this presents as a bad flu that quarantine can deal with.

Yes some people will be get sick, badly. But for the vast majority we’ve seen that this passes fine.

The summer will deal with it also, and then we’re gonna be back to masks and over reaction next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yes because as of yesterday evening they don't have the kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A few school kids having flu like symptoms is rather worrying?

Come on people. Take a step back from this.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    All that’s missing is Laurel and Hardy music if this is the case

I suspect Philip, a Wicklow based man, has children in that school and knows first hand. Could even be his own child affected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement