Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Making last year's car available would be amazing. We the difference between teams from season to season would really only be the innovation teams can do between seasons. It would likely end the rules change dynasties we have had recently. Red bull race so far ahead that they win 4 seasons in a row. Then Mercedes win the next (probably 7 until the 2021 rule changes) seasons on the trot.

Let's be honest - dominations usually come from a combination of one team doing a great job and the others doing, well, shoite.

It was the same in 1988 (nobody but McLaren bothering with a fully new design since in was the last season of the turbos), 1992-1993 (McLaren and Honda parting ways, Ferrari in a political quagmire, Benetton had a great chassis but the poor V8 Ford) and the 2002-2004 period (with the "Bridgestone developing tyres exclusively for Ferrari" coup de grace).

Take this season: Ferrari had the fastest car right out of the assembly garage, but they failed abysmally in the early development race, when it's all about understanding how your new chassis reacts to setups, temperatures, tyre wear and track conditions. They kept going backwards until, before the summer break, Red Bull also overtook them. Come September, they FINALLY figured things out...too late.

Red Bull didn't really dominate all the seasons 2010-2013, despite what the final results show; Two of these ended up with less than 5 points between Vettel and Alonso. Again, these sessions were the result if RBR being consistent while the others alternatively screwed up design and development - in 2010, there were only 16 points between WDC Vettel and Hamilton in 4th place, while the next season the difference between 1st and second was over 100pts...then again only 3pts in 2012, and again over 100 pts in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ferraris resurgence is a bit baffling. The season and championship is all but wrapped up. Its strange to see a team improving by that much so late in the season. I suppose Mercedes are coasting and not taking any risks. They just need to keep finishing third and forth and pick up wins when Ferrari make a strategy mistake.

Red Bull are still only good around a very limited number of tracks so they are also out of equation.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Ferraris resurgence is a bit baffling. The season and championship is all but wrapped up. Its strange to see a team improving by that much so late in the season. I suppose Mercedes are coasting and not taking any risks. They just need to keep finishing third and forth and pick up wins when Ferrari make a strategy mistake.

Red Bull are still only good around a very limited number of tracks so they are also out of equation.

Probably a bit of both things - Mercedes not pushing as hard as they could with updates, and the fact that Ferrari had a fundamentally good car since the beginning of the season, but they were struggling to understand its quirks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there anyone policing the f1 holiday shutdown.
    Redbull went on a winning spree a few years back straight after the holidays. Ferrari are doing similar this year. It would suggest that perhaps some teams send the staff home and other teams run the 24 hour shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

mickdw wrote: »
    Is there anyone policing the f1 holiday shutdown.
    Redbull went on a winning spree a few years back straight after the holidays. Ferrari are doing similar this year. It would suggest that perhaps some teams send the staff home and other teams run the 24 hour shift.

It's applicable for those people directly involved in design, manufacture and operation of an F1 car. There was something on racefans a while back about it, doesn't really go into detail about the actual procedures of how they would police it. I suspect the employees are happy to have the break and the fear of a significant penalty (financial or otherwise) is enough to dissuade the teams to adhere to it

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/28/how-does-the-fia-ensure-f1-teams-stop-work-during-the-summer-break/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭patmahe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

patmahe wrote: »

Sounds good to me. Smaller teams don't have he budget to explore 5 r&d avenues to figure out which one works. So this would be a way for small teams to catch up. The bigger teams will still have the innovations before everyone else so they still get the advantage and other teams wouldn't fall too far behind.

On first glance, I'm in favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Probably a bit of both things - Mercedes not pushing as hard as they could with updates, and the fact that Ferrari had a fundamentally good car since the beginning of the season, but they were struggling to understand its quirks.

Great video going through that oddly enough.

This would be a serious change for the sport.
    I dont think it would be as much benefit as some think given the technical nature of f1.
    If another team were today given a few hours access to a mercedes f1 car to take apart and look at it, it would likely make little short term difference and by the time any other team could put some of the ideas of their car and make them work for them, they would likely be so far behind the curve as to be useless.
    This could have the unintended consequence of just strengthening the B teams to run right with their A team because at the minute, as close as the links are, all teams do their own aero etc.
    If it all opens up, it should be easier for B teams to turn up with practically identical cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Rumours floating around that Autosport might be stopping their print edition

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1181228430467227653?s=20

Probably makes economic sense, I've stopped buying it regularly in recent years and would generally only pick it up for travelling, but sad to see.

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Rumours floating around that Autosport might be stopping their print edition

Probably makes economic sense, I've stopped buying it regularly in recent years and would generally only pick it up for travelling, but sad to see.

There's an interesting point about the media we consume online. We're you might buy a magazine, carry it with you and read it, you're much less likely to buy autosport online and read it on your phone. Temptation is to just read the free stuff online even though it's much lower quality.

I'd say we'll move towards paying for better content. But the beat traditional media night be gone bust by then. Such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There's an interesting point about the media we consume online. We're you might buy a magazine, carry it with you and read it, you're much less likely to buy autosport online and read it on your phone. Temptation is to just read the free stuff online even though it's much lower quality.

I'd say we'll move towards paying for better content. But the beat traditional media night be gone bust by then. Such is life.

There's a several hundred post thread about media quality and the switch to digital media around somewhere.

I've found autosport to be full of ****e lately, particularly around pre season. Even an amature knows to take testing results with a pinch of salt; Autosport had crowned Ferrari before the season started. Then they tried to defend themselves with stupid excuses and said they just published it because everyone else did.

That 600lbs guy makes me uncomfortable watching their youtube videos too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I have a F1 Magazine subscription on the Zinio app. If you don't have this app, download it. Any subscription for feck all price. I got the annual F1 subscription for £30 inc. VAT.

Anyway, it looks like Suzuka could be affected by Super Typhoon Hagibis on Saturday night. Not super anymore by that stage but still packing a punch at 90 knots at landfall overnight Saturday/Sunday Japan time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not just Autosport,the future of F1 racing magazine is also in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Infoanon wrote: »
    I used to buy F1 Racing on a regular basis from when it first came out in 1996 to around the late 2000's. I only buy it once or twice a year now. I'm sure the price of the magazine increased recently too.

They're all the same company or are all owned by the same company now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was Atlas F1 subscriber before it became Autosport. I stopped bothering at some stage after it became Autosport. It became a lot more British team driver biased. OH continued with the subscription till this year and had enough too. Now days the only reason I visit Autosport is Brexit thread in Paddock Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm another who cancelled their autosport subscription a couple of years ago. Nothing to do with print / digital, all to do with the quality of their content, and the quality of F1 in general (F1 being my only major interest, I read about other series more in passing)

meeeeh wrote: »
    I was Atlas F1 subscriber before it became Autosport. I stopped bothering at some stage after it became Autosport. It became a lot more British team driver biased. OH continued with the subscription till this year and had enough too. Now days the only reason I visit Autosport is Brexit thread in Paddock Club.

Yeah I think it's pretty much inevitable with publications - often a new director brings a new editorial line.

Years and years ago, I religiously bought "Autosprint", the Italian version of Autosport. The "shift" was very clear every time a new director came on board - it went from being pretty much neutral and a "motorsport's enthusiast" publication in the early '90s, to a "Tifosi's official magazine" in the Schumacher era, back to a more neutral stance in 2006/2007. Similarly, the space given to each discipline would change - for a few years there'd be pretty much equal space given to F1, Indycar, WRC and Touring Cars (DTM, EuroSTC and WTCC depending on years), then it'd go mostly F1, then switch back to more space for rallying and so on.

Still, call it what it want, "it's the modern times" as a justification for the loss of publications doesn't reassure me in the least - we're heading for lower and lower quality of journalism as we are. People will not want to pay for their news source, which will give way to even more amateurism.

I am as guilty as the next guy - I don't really buy magazines anymore, unless I'm traveling. Especially in my fields of interest (motors, computers, modeling) you can find mostly everything online...yet, if I stand back and take a look at the QUALITY of what you find online, well...you need to filter through a LOT of crud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I also do not buy Autosport as much as I used to. It has increased in price a good bit and all I am really interested in in it is the F1 segment which has deteriorated a lot lately. So I can not say I will be sad if it does go.
    As for the F1 magazine that can be hit and miss. Sometimes its good other times not so good. I only ever bought it the odd time but not often. It would be good if there could be a bi-weekly F1 magazine a bit like Autosport but just for F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I also do not buy Autosport as much as I used to. It has increased in price a good bit and all I am really interested in in it is the F1 segment which has deteriorated a lot lately. So I can not say I will be sad if it does go.
    As for the F1 magazine that can be hit and miss. Sometimes its good other times not so good. I only ever bought it the odd time but not often. It would be good if there could be a bi-weekly F1 magazine a bit like Autosport but just for F1.

Part of me thinks the quality has deteriorated because of the volume of coverage. There's a race every 2 weeks so there's really only the race weekend to cover plus a small bit of actual off track news like the mclaren-Mercedes engine deal. But pieces of actual news like that are pretty rare. So they have to fill daily segments on Internet sites with junk rumours.

Did anyone notice how little talk there was of the mclaren merc deal until it was actually imminent? The real news is usually kept secret. The junk and misinformation is fed to the press who eat up up because they need to fill pages. How many times do we hear about the possibility of Lewis to Ferrari while he's negotiating a new Contract with Mercedes? That's the clickbait.

The real news would be a report of the race, preview of the upcoming race and a bit of actual news that barely fills a few pages every fortnight. It's the volume and frequency of news that waters it all down.

I have f1 news in my Google news feed. Sometimes I get a bit of news that isn't also discusses in this forum bit it's rare. Sometimes the news will be a day ahead of this forum, but actually much more often them not, the forum is about as fast as my Google news feed.

I basically don't need to read the news and could rely on this thread for f1 news.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

F1 this weekend will be interesting. Suzuka circuit issued a vague statement this morning regarding 'change of events' regarding the Typhoon to hit Japan this weekend. Currently its track moves across the circuit over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yes, could get interesting. As previous poster stated, it'll pass over on Saturday evening, so just either side of the qualy and race times. It's early in the week and is expected to die out as it goes north. By Thursday we should have a good idea of how it impacts.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wasn't the Japanese GP affected by a typhoon in the last decade too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Jordan 199 wrote: »

2004 I think

• Advertisement

2004 I think

Was that the time they had quali and the race on the same day? Or was there a more recent time that happened?

Was that the time they had quali and the race on the same day? Or was there a more recent time that happened?

Yeah that's the one, can't remember anything more recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah that's the one, can't remember anything more recent.

Did they not do that in 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Didn't they have fog issues in fuji too.

Latest update is Autosport is to continue in print form but the price is to immediately increase to £10.99 (!) , the result they say of having to change distribution as a result of selling F1 racing.

As an aside 1) Many of the F1 racing articles appear on the Autosport website and 2) A number of key staff have left Autosport

• Advertisement

All I remember of the Fuji race was Vettel taking himself and Webber out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All I remember of the Fuji race was Vettel taking himself and Webber out

Lets not forget Istanbul also!

Lets not forget Istanbul also!

Ah but they weren't direct team mates in 2007 :pac:

Might as well throw in Malaysia 2013 as we're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »

The heavy rain in 2014 that Bianchi crashed in was the start of a Typhoon.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/29455024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You also might be thinking of the US Grand Prix of 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Latest update is Autosport is to continue in print form but the price is to immediately increase to £10.99 (!) , the result they say of having to change distribution as a result of selling F1 racing.

As an aside 1) Many of the F1 racing articles appear on the Autosport website and 2) A number of key staff have left Autosport

They might as well not print it so because at that price (if that is pounds I do not even want to know what the Euro price will be) as no one will buy it at that price just for a few pages. That would be nearly twice its current price by the way and by the time it is converted to Euro's it might be over that but that is only if that pounds and not Euro's your you have there. That would be a 63% price increase by the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

To clarify - yes £10.99 per issue - an increase from £3.99 per issue.

Sterling - from the Autosport website - it's been seen as a cynical way of killing the magazine with immediate effect.

Why go down this road and not just cease is not immediately known. The Editor in chief is gone .
    Maybe - as it's almost certainly the last edition - the premium price is because it may become a collector item in the future ??

Pity. I do my best to get print editions of Private Eye and I sometimes get cheap subscriptions to the New Yorker and I check out digital magazines on my tablet for free on my tablet. I could be paying more but supporting them through subs (they get an increase from advertisers) is something at least.
    I'm holding off on The Athletic but if the price of decent journalism is having to pay less than the price of a cup of coffee a week then I'm on board.
    The increase in the price of Autosport seems like a silly/spiteful way to kill off the print edition.

OSI wrote: »
    They might have term contracts with advertisers that would require repaying fees if they just straight up kill it.
    That is very possible, there are a lot of theories doing the rounds but undoubtedly this is a move to kill the print edition with immediate effect.

In the day it was the motorsport magazine but over the years the quality dropped as they chased different markets .

Zak Brown had a role in Autosport's parent company. Not anymore.
    https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status/1181880225568829440?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

flazio wrote: »

After watching that Netflix documentary, I said he'd be gone by Sept. Out by a week

uchimata83 wrote: »
    After watching that Netflix documentary, I said he'd be gone by Sept. Out by a week

Just to make sure you're reading the tweet correctly. He has NOT left McLaren. He has left the Motorsport Network which runs Motorsport.com Autosport and F1 racing magazine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

If only hed carefully consider resigning from McLaren.
    Cant warm to him at all, think hes an awful spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

g1983d wrote: »

Hes done great in their resurgence tbf he has recruited, Andreas Siedl, James Key, Andrea Stella (think he moreso joined because of Fernando) and Gil De Ferran to senior staff positions since he arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Compared to Ron "my way or else" Dennis or Martin "can't make a decision" Whitmarsh I think Brown is doing a good job

When he came they were nowhere performance wise and had no sponsors on the car.
    Now, they are going pretty well on track and have lots of sponsors.
    I don't like the man and couldn't figure out why he was given such a job but it's turning out ok to be fair to him.

If you think he is a spoofer, what do you think of Eric Bouillier?

When Scooby Doo and gang capture old Mr Zac Brown, they pull off the mask to reveal it was Boullier all along :pac:

A quick weather check for Japan shows the typhoon hitting Suzuka region at around Sat qualy/7-10am (our time). It should be gone by Sunday morning. So possible chance for big interruption on Saturday only.

I'm following the Windy app. Looks savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

He was a reckless spoofer 🀣
    Tbf to Zak he has turned it around and the sign of a good boss is putting the right people in place and motivating everyone, I still cant warm to him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement