Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I also do not buy Autosport as much as I used to. It has increased in price a good bit and all I am really interested in in it is the F1 segment which has deteriorated a lot lately. So I can not say I will be sad if it does go.
    As for the F1 magazine that can be hit and miss. Sometimes its good other times not so good. I only ever bought it the odd time but not often. It would be good if there could be a bi-weekly F1 magazine a bit like Autosport but just for F1.

Part of me thinks the quality has deteriorated because of the volume of coverage. There's a race every 2 weeks so there's really only the race weekend to cover plus a small bit of actual off track news like the mclaren-Mercedes engine deal. But pieces of actual news like that are pretty rare. So they have to fill daily segments on Internet sites with junk rumours.

Did anyone notice how little talk there was of the mclaren merc deal until it was actually imminent? The real news is usually kept secret. The junk and misinformation is fed to the press who eat up up because they need to fill pages. How many times do we hear about the possibility of Lewis to Ferrari while he's negotiating a new Contract with Mercedes? That's the clickbait.

The real news would be a report of the race, preview of the upcoming race and a bit of actual news that barely fills a few pages every fortnight. It's the volume and frequency of news that waters it all down.

I have f1 news in my Google news feed. Sometimes I get a bit of news that isn't also discusses in this forum bit it's rare. Sometimes the news will be a day ahead of this forum, but actually much more often them not, the forum is about as fast as my Google news feed.

I basically don't need to read the news and could rely on this thread for f1 news.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

F1 this weekend will be interesting. Suzuka circuit issued a vague statement this morning regarding 'change of events' regarding the Typhoon to hit Japan this weekend. Currently its track moves across the circuit over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yes, could get interesting. As previous poster stated, it'll pass over on Saturday evening, so just either side of the qualy and race times. It's early in the week and is expected to die out as it goes north. By Thursday we should have a good idea of how it impacts.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wasn't the Japanese GP affected by a typhoon in the last decade too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Jordan 199 wrote: »

2004 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

2004 I think

Was that the time they had quali and the race on the same day? Or was there a more recent time that happened?

Was that the time they had quali and the race on the same day? Or was there a more recent time that happened?

Yeah that's the one, can't remember anything more recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah that's the one, can't remember anything more recent.

Did they not do that in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Didn't they have fog issues in fuji too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Latest update is Autosport is to continue in print form but the price is to immediately increase to £10.99 (!) , the result they say of having to change distribution as a result of selling F1 racing.

As an aside 1) Many of the F1 racing articles appear on the Autosport website and 2) A number of key staff have left Autosport

• Advertisement

All I remember of the Fuji race was Vettel taking himself and Webber out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All I remember of the Fuji race was Vettel taking himself and Webber out

Lets not forget Istanbul also!

Lets not forget Istanbul also!

Ah but they weren't direct team mates in 2007 :pac:

Might as well throw in Malaysia 2013 as we're at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jordan 199 wrote: »

The heavy rain in 2014 that Bianchi crashed in was the start of a Typhoon.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/29455024

• Registered Users Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You also might be thinking of the US Grand Prix of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Infoanon wrote: »
    Latest update is Autosport is to continue in print form but the price is to immediately increase to £10.99 (!) , the result they say of having to change distribution as a result of selling F1 racing.

As an aside 1) Many of the F1 racing articles appear on the Autosport website and 2) A number of key staff have left Autosport

They might as well not print it so because at that price (if that is pounds I do not even want to know what the Euro price will be) as no one will buy it at that price just for a few pages. That would be nearly twice its current price by the way and by the time it is converted to Euro's it might be over that but that is only if that pounds and not Euro's your you have there. That would be a 63% price increase by the way.

To clarify - yes £10.99 per issue - an increase from £3.99 per issue.

Sterling - from the Autosport website - it's been seen as a cynical way of killing the magazine with immediate effect.

Why go down this road and not just cease is not immediately known. The Editor in chief is gone .
    Maybe - as it's almost certainly the last edition - the premium price is because it may become a collector item in the future ??

Pity. I do my best to get print editions of Private Eye and I sometimes get cheap subscriptions to the New Yorker and I check out digital magazines on my tablet for free on my tablet. I could be paying more but supporting them through subs (they get an increase from advertisers) is something at least.
    I'm holding off on The Athletic but if the price of decent journalism is having to pay less than the price of a cup of coffee a week then I'm on board.
    The increase in the price of Autosport seems like a silly/spiteful way to kill off the print edition.

OSI wrote: »
    They might have term contracts with advertisers that would require repaying fees if they just straight up kill it.
    That is very possible, there are a lot of theories doing the rounds but undoubtedly this is a move to kill the print edition with immediate effect.

In the day it was the motorsport magazine but over the years the quality dropped as they chased different markets .

Zak Brown had a role in Autosport's parent company. Not anymore.
    https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status/1181880225568829440?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

flazio wrote: »

After watching that Netflix documentary, I said he'd be gone by Sept. Out by a week

uchimata83 wrote: »
    After watching that Netflix documentary, I said he'd be gone by Sept. Out by a week

Just to make sure you're reading the tweet correctly. He has NOT left McLaren. He has left the Motorsport Network which runs Motorsport.com Autosport and F1 racing magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

If only hed carefully consider resigning from McLaren.
    Cant warm to him at all, think hes an awful spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,304 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

g1983d wrote: »

Hes done great in their resurgence tbf he has recruited, Andreas Siedl, James Key, Andrea Stella (think he moreso joined because of Fernando) and Gil De Ferran to senior staff positions since he arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Compared to Ron "my way or else" Dennis or Martin "can't make a decision" Whitmarsh I think Brown is doing a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

When he came they were nowhere performance wise and had no sponsors on the car.
    Now, they are going pretty well on track and have lots of sponsors.
    I don't like the man and couldn't figure out why he was given such a job but it's turning out ok to be fair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you think he is a spoofer, what do you think of Eric Bouillier?

mickdw wrote: »

When Scooby Doo and gang capture old Mr Zac Brown, they pull off the mask to reveal it was Boullier all along :pac:

A quick weather check for Japan shows the typhoon hitting Suzuka region at around Sat qualy/7-10am (our time). It should be gone by Sunday morning. So possible chance for big interruption on Saturday only.

I'm following the Windy app. Looks savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

mickdw wrote: »

He was a reckless spoofer 🀣
    Tbf to Zak he has turned it around and the sign of a good boss is putting the right people in place and motivating everyone, I still cant warm to him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement