Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Aren't you supposed to be able to sleep like a baby the night after a marathon?

So you woke every hour crying, needing feeding and your nappy changing?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

saw a guy juggling as he ran twice at 2 different points along the route. Looked like he was going to do it for the full race

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

lecheile wrote: »
    There's a 3 hour pacing group - worth trying to hang onto them for as long as possible. Good Luck!

Thought that wasn't great advice at the time cos I was thinking that my training would bring me home in 3:05 - 3:07, but I decided the night before that I would stay with the sub 3 pacers for as long as I could to check my progress for a sub 3 attempt next year. With 8 miles to go I thought I was going to get in with the sub 3 group but they opened a gap of about 20-30 metres at mile 23 and when I tried to close it my legs just gave up.

Really thought I had sub 3 in my grasp during the run but as I said, I don't think my training was good enough.

Finished in 3:01:50 so a lot better than I thought but lost about a minute per mile on the last 3 miles. A PB by over 12 mins and about 48mins faster than my marathon debut in DCM 2008. Perfect day for running yesterday, especially considering how the wind picked up later in the day.

Thanks to the sub 3 pacers for a great job yesterday. Next time I'll cross the finish line with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭regularkev

4 stars (good)
    I passed the UK Backwards Running champion on Roebuck Road and wondered how badly I was doing that he was able to be ahead of me for ~20 miles.

Also, my sister-in-law who was watching outside the RDS saw two gardai who were "directing" traffic causing a crash (low speed, no injuries) Lots of red faces there.

Did 3:55:45 for my first marathon.. very happy but very sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

4 stars (good)
    Well I finally managed it; my first marathon in 19 years. I stopped running in my 20's due to injuries received in a couple of accidents and as to the doctors who told me I would never walk properly let alone run well heres to ye!;) I managed it in just under 5 hours chip time, photo shows me coming over the line at 5:01 so thats a fair slagging I'll be getting off everyone but my main goal was to finish. Had a very good sub 4:20 pace up to the 18 mile point but then it just went, last 4 miles were very tough.

Thanks to all along the route with the jelly beans, oranges, cheering and encouragement. Thanks especially to the little girl on Fosters Ave (she was 4 or 5) who gave me a Mars bar when I stopped, thanks to her father for encouraging her to do so!:)

Beautiful day for it, the stretch through the park was memorable, funny how everyone having a pee up against the trees reminded me of some scene in a Carry On film. Special mention to the guitarist near Kilmainham singing Proud Mary, anyone know how the guy in the army uniform with the rucksack got on? I last saw him in Terenure, he was on a 4:15 pace.

Only minus points were that a lot of the water stations were on one side of the road which caused congestion, some of the road stretches were narrow (Fosters Ave) and the mile markers were very small, missed a few, a banner over the road would be much better.

Finally thanks to all the stewards, Guards and first aiders and again thanks to all who cheered us on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

A great day for running yesterday - my 2nd marathon and improved by 45 mins on last year. 3'36 this year v 4'21 last year so v happy.

One cause for complaint - after the race the junction of clare street/merrion sq was very crowded and dangerous. There were young kids, etc trying to get through the crowds and nothing was moving. There needs to be more effective mangement of this bottleneck by the Guards or whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

4 stars (good)
    itsalltrue wrote: »
    It was my first marathon so delighted i have done it. Last night i was never doing one again but coming around to the idea this morning.

Thinking the exact same thing today myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Good coverage in the Indo today. Pacers get a nice mention.

2 small but memorable things from yesteday's race. A guy from Eagle AC was running with a sign 'cancer survivor'. After Roebuck he was constantly having to stop and stretch as he must have had cramp. He kept getting back into his stride and running on. He was getting huge shouts of encouragement from the crowd. Everyone knew his name. On the front of his vest he had John - Cancer surivor. Fair play to you John. You are a lesson to the rest of us.

In the closing stages I saw Johnny Donnelly stop mid stride to assist a runner that had gone into cramp. A selfless act of kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who finished yday, well done and hope you not in too much pain today!

Fot some reason I dont appear to be listed in the results on the official site, name and number not list, any reason for this....going to contact marathon office but not sure if chip didnt register or something like that....only disappointing part to great day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Misty 2.59

2:58:59 :D:D

Cheers Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    These are my splits for the marathon, would be interested in seen Bazmans

distance 26.81 avg 5.49m/m

5.13 20miles this was a fast one
    5.26 0.81 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

2 small but memorable things from yesteday's race. A guy from Eagle AC was running with a sign 'cancer survivor'. After Roebuck he was constantly having to stop and stretch as he must have had cramp. He kept getting back into his stride and running on. He was getting huge shouts of encouragement from the crowd. Everyone knew his name. On the front of his vest he had John - Cancer survivor. Fair play to you John. You are a lesson to the rest of us.

That would be our very own Condo 131 - Eagle AC Chairman and a genuine legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I didn't do it, but I was out to cheer! Great atmosphere, I was at the Spar just before the SCR. I saw the juggler, the tiger, the Buzz Lightyear, batman & Robin and some lad dressed as a 'brobot'!? But oddly enough, I saw some fella who looked like he was punched in the nose and was bleeding - had some tissue stuck up his nostril!! He was in sub 3.15 I think. The walkers had a few randomers - people in jeans (ducked out from Sunday lunch to walk the Marathon) and one lady carrying a shopping bag full of stuff!

Congrats to all on taking part. Blessed with another lovely day for a run! I think the half is all I'll ever commit to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    An absolutely beautiful set of splits Heffsarmy. A really well executed race. I tried to run 2:45 pace and was off it 'til very late when the afterburners appeared from nowhere. It's a great feeling to finish a race strongly.

Mile Split Total
    1 00:06:03 00:06:03
    2 00:07:09 00:13:11
    3 00:06:20 00:19:31
    4 00:06:35 00:26:06
    5 00:05:59 00:32:05
    6 00:06:24 00:38:29
    7 00:06:15 00:44:44
    8 00:06:22 00:51:06
    9 00:06:03 00:57:09
    10 00:06:11 01:03:21
    11 00:06:16 01:09:37
    12 00:06:27 01:16:06
    13 00:06:11 01:22:14
    14 00:06:15 01:28:28
    15 00:06:16 01:34:44
    16 00:06:13 01:40:57
    17 00:06:23 01:47:20
    18 00:06:09 01:53:29
    19 00:06:19 01:59:48
    20 00:06:20 02:06:08
    21 00:06:21 02:12:29
    22 00:06:11 02:18:40
    23 00:06:05 02:24:45
    24 00:06:08 02:30:53
    25 00:06:11 02:37:04
    26 00:06:09 02:43:13
    26.2 00:01:18 02:44:31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

@Heffsarmy.....what happened at mile 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

4 stars (good)
    My first marathon and and an unreal expierience. Had trained hard for the last 6 months with the HH programme and it stood to me.The furthest i had ran before this was 16 miles as i got a bad ITB injury and missed the last 5 weeks of training before yesterday.I managed to run every inch of it in 4 hrs 24 mins...So proud and sore today.

The experience shocked me and meant more too me than any county final medal in other codes..etc.

I was overwhelmed by the great support of the people from the first mile to the last,a real credit to themselves and inspiration to the the runners.

My only gripe was a certain few athletes just dropping there almost full water bottles on and in the middle of the road rather than at the sides,i found this very selfish and a potential trip hazard.

It was an amazing day and a very humbling experience

Well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

4 stars (good)
    fair play mick delighted for you.
    was mile 2 really 7:xx ?

well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    fair play mick delighted for you.
    was mile 2 really 7:xx ?

well done again.

Cheers.

Don't think so, but the first mile wasn't a 6:04 either. I took splits at the actual mile markers which quite obviously were not in the measured locations. This is quite understandable in a big city race as they can't locate the markers in the exact spots as they have to find something big to attach them to. I was looking for the actual measured marks which you can sometimes spot as paint marks on the road but couldn't see then yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

4 stars (good)
    troy wrote: »
    I'm a bit behind on my training, various things etc that got in the way. Also I kind of decided late on to do the marathon (my first one). I lost a good bit of weight last year (95kgs down to 76kgs) and I have only really been running since March. I would consider myself pretty fit now.

I signed up to the race series and it went pretty well. 1:18:41 for the 10 mile and 1:38:41 for the half. Coming up to the half training was going well so I decided then to go for the big one. I did 16 miles the week before the race and handled if pretty well.

Then since the half I have only managed to get in two ten miles on the weekends as long runs and maybe 6 or 7 runs of 5-8 miles midweek, half of those doing fartlek.

Last Sunday I decided to go for a 20 miler to see how I got on. It was very tough but I managed it in 2:59. My legs were burning from about 12 miles. I had a powerbar @ about 13 miles and that seemed to help a bit. I carry a bottle with a mix of water & Luc sport, which I drink from approx every 30-40 mins. Legs felt like jelly at the end. I stretched and sat in a cold bath followed by a warm one. Yesterday they felt stiff but not too bad. I went for a short 3 mile run last night and it felt good running and they eased out. Planning a 7 mile fartlek tonight.

Few questions:
    1. Should I abandon and wait for another race?
    2. If I can make the 20 miles albeit at a struggle can I make the 26?
    3. Should I go for another 20 mile run this Sunday?
    4. If not what should I do between now and the race?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks a million to everyone for the advice on what to do. I took it easy last week then went just behind the 3.45 pace group. Stuck with them all the way, took gels at 8.5, 14.5 & 20.5. Felt good most of the trip. Started getting a bit tight around 20/21 miles but by the time I got to 24 and I knew I was going to finish I was on a high for the last couple of miles. I saw my family at 25 miles and from there on in was so much fun with the crowds cheering. I crossed the line in 3.43.53, tired but not broken. Now that I have done my first marathon, I can concentrate next year on doing a sub 3.30.

Also a big thanks to the 3.45 pacers and all the pacers. You make our races and I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much with out them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Enjoying a browse thru the Racepix photos. The tiger costumed guy finished in 3:22. Must have been up very early doing that face paint!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

3 stars (average)
    Hi all,

My first marathon now completed, and I can't help but feel a little disappointed with myself!

Decided to give 3:45 pace a go. Had a pace band for 3:45 - and on the start line I was situated about half way between the 3:45 and 4:00 pacers. For the first couple of miles I was too slow and lost sight of the 3:45 pacers; but by the time we came out of the Phoenix Park I was right behind the 3:45 pacers. I was telling myself "slow down, slow down" but my legs weren't listening to my brain. I ended up doing miles 5 - 10 WAY quicker than I should have.

By about mile 14 - 15 I was in a lot of pain. Ended up having to take a walk break. My walk/run strategy continued through the rest of the race. By around miles 15 - 17 I had completely lost sight of the 3:45 pacers and was walking a lot. I was feeling really down and demoralized.

The 4:00 pace group caught up with me, which spurred me on and gave me a much needed boost. I was able to stick with them for the next couple of miles. The pacers were continually shouting encouragement at all around them.

I ended up losing them too - no doubt due to going out too fast from the start.

Anyway, after the race I spotted one of the 4:00 pacers, went over to say thanks, I think he said his name was Ray. Thanks again Ray, and whoever the other pacers were. If it wasn't for your group coming along when you did I reckon I'd have just given up.

Ended up finishing in 4:09:46 - Disappointed that I couldn't make sub 4. But now I have a target to beat next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)
    I had originally been hoping for sub 3:30 but knew several weeks ago that that was aspirational rather than realistic so I decided to aim for sub 3:45 instead and maybe push the second half. It worked out as my Dream Run and I glided happily all the way around only feeling under pressure from 22-25M. I ran ahead of the 3:45 pacers from the start and while they came close to me at 14M I was able to up the pace and did a nice negative split (1:53 / 1:49) to get up very happily in 3:42:46.
    Thanks for all the good advice about taking the first half easier as it really stood to me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    For those who want to relive the pain, the race videos appear to be live.

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&id=3003&pageType=1&servizio=000&locale=2057

Just search by number and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Videos are now available for each participant on the Dublin Marathon website (in the results section). Video shots taken at each 10k point, and matched up to when you crossed the timing mat.

Think this is the first time Dublin have provided this.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I just want to say that you were all such an inspiration yesterday. I was there at about mile 20 supporting my brother and his fiance and was almost overcome with the emotion of it. My brother had a bit of a wobbly finish and its scary to watch his video at the finish and seeing the stewards and first aid crew jumping into action straight away. All the support team & pacers are really unbelievable in their selflessness.

It was my first time being there as a supporter and whatever doubts I had before about running a marathon this has really inspired me to go for it next year.

The support is amazing too! Unbelievable the amount of people who stand there for hours clapping and cheering and handing out sweets etc. Well done one and all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

RedB wrote: »
    I had originally been hoping for sub 3:30 but knew several weeks ago that that was aspirational rather than realistic so I decided to aim for sub 3:45 instead and maybe push the second half. It worked out as my Dream Run and I glided happily all the way around only feeling under pressure from 22-25M. I ran ahead of the 3:45 pacers from the start and while they came close to me at 14M I was able to up the pace and did a nice negative split (1:53 / 1:49) to get up very happily in 3:42:46.
    Thanks for all the good advice about taking the first half easier as it really stood to me.:)

PB and a negative split - great running.

Thanks for the shout-out near the finish...you looked pretty fresh for a guy who had just finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

troy wrote: »

Also a big thanks to the 3.45 pacers and all the pacers. You make our races and I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much with out them.

No bother, the three of us really enjoyed the race. it was a great day out. congrats on a super time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)
    Izoard wrote: »
    PB and a negative split - great running.

Thanks for the shout-out near the finish...you looked pretty fresh for a guy who had just finished!

I felt as fresh as a daisy all day bar 23-25M :). I felt great afterwards and even today! I'm raving to anyone who'll listen what a wonderful experience it was. It was great hitting 16M and thinking 'okay, now I feel great so I can up the pace a notch'. I finally got the monkey off my back re running a marathon 'properly' :D.

Well done on your pacing - on the money. Hope you enjoyed the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Well done to Dave Heffernan and Joe Cawley. Crackin stuff lads. Dave the marathon really is your event, stick with it. Dont go nuts though and start doing mulitple maratons per year, less is more man. Joe, we'll both dip under 2:40 next year for sure, was a pleasure to run with you for a few miles yesterday. Well done lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

4 stars (good)
    RedB wrote: »

Well done, very similar story to me. Just realised I did a negative split too. :D. 1:54:00/1:49:53.

Just on another note. I usually run/train with earphones but I followed advice on here and ran most of the way without them. It definitely helped me to take in all the atmosphere and time passed very quickly. I did pop them in from miles 19 to 24 when I felt like I needed to settle into a pattern and grind the miles. I did make sure that I had the volume at a level where I could hear what was going on around me. But I would advise anyone else to run without them as much as they can.

Advertisement