Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I think the split times on the web site are based on the gun time and not chip time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kciaran

4 stars (good)
    Burgman wrote: »
    Going on the home-made formula I gave earlier, your last 12.2km = 62m 35s = 62.58 minutes. 30km = 2:35:20 = 155.33 mins. Finish factor = 40.29%. So you accelerated in the last 6.2 miles. Well done.
    Yeah ummm!

Pity I didn't accelerate at the oul maths though.

It was my fifth and the last 10k has always killed me so worked hard at pacing this time.

Thanks for maths assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

4 stars (good)
    Bill2673 wrote: »
    @Heffsarmy.....what happened at mile 20?

I got in a tussle with an enghlish runner, a bit off I can run faster than you :)
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Are you sure it was me you were running with in those first 6 miles :)

I had the first 6 as

1. 06:00 (est)
    2. 06:07
    3. 06:05
    4. 06:18
    5. 05:48
    6. 06:11

I pulled them off the Garmin 305 gps, as I was running with the mile markers did`nt match up, but the never really do on a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Hey Tipp man, were you wearing a Tip jersey?

I had the Tipp shirt on and only saw one other person with it on.
    I was 4631 but didn't see you. I always seem to run at the opposite side of the road from where photographers are situated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I had the Tipp shirt on and only saw one other person with it on.
    I was 4631 but didn't see you. I always seem to run at the opposite side of the road from where photographers are situated.

There was a guy with a beard and he had the head down, my dads from Tipp so I gave him a big shout and he shouted back and seemed to lift him.

Regards photos I was looking for Boards AC members but I didn't find you, sorry bout that but congrats on the PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    My thoughts of the day.

Apologies it turned into a bit of a ramble.

I really want to thank the 3.15 pacers. A fantastic bunch of guys, Rory, Village runner and especially Krusty Clown.

Aswell as my camera I had my cammy, didn't have the desired plan but I'm sure I can get a good 3 mins 30 of sth with a song.
    This is the following the 3'30 pacers had. I set this up at about 10:15 and never touched it again till jsut before the 4'30 pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

4 stars (good)
    A great day, and another well-organised Dublin marathon. Personally, I was delighted to shave over 40 minutes off last year's PB, and I have Krusty, village runner and Rory to thank for a lot of that. Absolutely epic and selfless work on their part.

Great to meet so many Boardsies on the run, and the Boards singlet got a few well-needed cheers over the last few miles!

A bit of a rambling race report here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Git101 wrote: »
    My thoughts of the day.

Apologies it turned into a bit of a ramble.

I really want to thank the 3.15 pacers. A fantastic bunch of guys, Rory, Village runner and especially Krusty Clown.

Great blog post Chris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 stars (average)
    Hi Woddle,

Any chance you have the little bit of coverage betweeen the 3.30 and 3.45 pacers? I'm in there somewhere :)

And of course the 3'15 pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    Aswell as my camera I had my cammy, didn't have the desired plan but I'm sure I can get a good 3 mins 30 of sth with a song.
    This is the following the 3'30 pacers had. I set this up at about 10:15 and never touched it again till jsut before the 4'30 pacer.

Sorry for calling you by your boards name :o

Sorry for calling you by your boards name :o

Not a problem sure I do it to all apart from donothoponpop, that's a right mouthfull :D

Last one and sorry for clogging up the thread
    4'00 pacer and gang

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddyjoe18

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Just want to echo all the comments about the pacers esp the 3.30 and 4.00 groups. Myself and OH got PB's with your help.
    Just following the balloon took a lot of the effort from the run. Pacing was perfect as my 1st and 2nd half split was identical, OH was 1.36 better in 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    Hey Tipp man, were you wearing a Tip jersey?

Hi ya Woddle, no not me i'm afraid, i didn't fancy running it in a Tipp jersey but must get a Tipp coloured running vest. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

4 stars (good)
    Burgman wrote: »
    Some nerd stats. Without naming names, I know of some people who blew up completely and slowed down drastically (although injury is a possibility too). I did a calculation to rate them. On the TDS live website, take the "delta" for the last 12.2 km and divide by the RealTime at 30km.

Based on distance (12.2/30) the percentage is 40.65%, so if you ran absolutely even pace, your percentage would be 40.65%.

If you look at Bazman, his percentage is 41.85% - beautifully paced.

So, two examples I know:

Male - 68.6%
    Female - 103.4%

Anyone beat them (i.e. worse)? Or beat Bazman (i.e. better)?

I hope i did this correct but 62/139 = 44%. Seems to be nicely paced according to your post. I was delighted with 3:21, I chopped ~27mins off last years time. Amazing the difference one more year of training makes.

I also saw

'do
    not
    hop
    on
    pop'

written on the back of a singlet and only now I realise that was donothoponpop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

4 stars (good)
    Just catching up on all the race reports here – what a day! First off a massive thanks to all the crowds and volunteers that made it such a great day. I ran my first DCM last year and didn’t think it could be topped but this year did – with ease!

The race itself could not have gone any better for me. Last year I had a soul destroying last 7 miles which took nearly an hour and a half and had me home in 3.57. This year following some advice from the folks on here I followed the P&D 55mpw programme almost to the letter. [Looking at my training log I did about 87% of the mileage per the programme.]

Pre-race:
    I made a conscious effort to really carbo- load for this marathon. From Friday lunchtime I had at least one large pasta dish per day and at least 3 litres of water for the last 5 days. Many a middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom was had over the weekend!

Race:
    I slept great the night before and was up by 6am for porridge and some toast. Quick shower and into town with my running compadres for 8am. I was feeling good and the aim was to stay with the 3.30 pacers.
    Lined up beside the pacers and off we went. I’m not sure which pacer it was but one of them was full of beans right away…”COME ON THE 3.30’s”. Whoever you were fair play! From the outset I was feeling really good and the miles were flying by. The Phoenix Park was just unreal…beautiful. Out into Chapo ,under a bridge and a booming rendition of “OGGY OGGY OGGY” by the aforementioned pacer. Great craic! At about 12 miles I moved slightly ahead of the pacers….unintentionally but kind of just happened. I could still hear the roars so I wasn’t too far ahead. Through half way in 1.45 and feeling good.

The next few miles were non-descript really as I just tried to keep the head. An article by Annette Kealy in the Irish Times on Saturday stuck with me at this point. She mentioned dark times around 14-16 and whilst it wasn’t too bad I reminded myself that there will be ups and downs. Out to Milltown and I knew the next couple were going to be tough. This is where it started to go wrong last year so focussed on getting to 21 where friends and family were situated. Up that f**king hill at Roebuck Road and I’m blowing hard. Started the descent down Fosters Avenue and kept reminding myself how much better I felt than last year. I had pulled well away from the 3.30 pacers at this point and was feeling great. Tough times down by the hospital but by now I was just telling myself to get to the next mile. 23, 24 come on nearly there. Crowds are getting thicker and family at 25 give me a real boost. Put the foot down now and did the last mile in 7 minutes, punching the air as I crossed the line. YES YES YES. Had a minute to compose myself and let it sink it. Massively happy to erase last years nightmare!

I honestly did not think I would hit 3.25 but I have trained well all year and have PB’ed in every race over the year. The P&D programme also really worked for me so I should not be that surprised.

Well done to everyone who was a part of a great great event.

Roll on DCM 2011!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    grimbergen wrote: »
    Anyone see any funny/crazy sights yesterday.

The dog that made a run for me mile 18-ish! Thankfully a guy behind me roared at him, and the owner. Funny thing was I was running for Animal Welfare :pac:

On a more serious note, the i-pod wearers, who couldn't hear the warning calls from the wheelchair athelete, as he was flying down a hill in the last 10KM. He ended up having to pull-up right behind them. He must have been very frustrated, and they looked like they got a right shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Oh, and I just want to echo what others have said about the pacers. They really did a great job! It's a selfless act, giving up your own race time for others. You were greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

3 stars (average)
    Anyone any idea when and where the photos will be online? Have been checking marathonfoto but nothing is up... Thanks to racepix.com, I have one (with a painful expression on me) coming through milltown - scoured through about 100 pages of them last night!

If anyone spots me, I am this guy

http://www.racepix.com/photo/5114907004/count/1347/race/405/user/0/racetag/dcm2010/bib/0/page/68/racephoto.aspx

"whitest legs in showbusiness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 runparun

4 stars (good)
    Hi this is a first post from a long time lurker, first off thanks to all who contribute to this thread and share their training logs, fantastic stuff especially when you train by yourself.

I did DCM on Monday, had a bad day, I was aiming for under 3.30 (previous best was 3:39 DCM'09) but wheels fell off badly after 18miles, stumbled home in 3:56, was close to throwing in the towel but just walked on...reasons for the bad performance not sure, could have been a cold I had all last week, or that I had 4 hours sleep as OH was ill the night before or I stayed at the fitzwilliam and organised to have a breakfast of bagel and coffee a month before hand, confirmed on check in but come the morning no breakfast was organised and ended up having toast,,very frustrating :mad:!!

The real reason for this ramble is that I was dejected after Monday and feel I want to run again ASAP, would the Clon marathon [Dec 11th] be too soon or should I just run a half or just rest up and do some recovery runs for a while.

running history (Berlin 09 3:51, Dublin 09 3:39, Dublin 10 3:56)

Thanks All again.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    (1st timer)
    Just back to work today, what a great day Monday was
    I personally had a terrible first half to the marathon - got really boxed in, was having to go the toilet at least every 2 mile (mixture of nerves, cold, and probably a little bit of over hydration) and my breathing was poor - hit 13 mile in about 1.58 but I then got into a nice groove and started to pick it up ..... miles 21-24 were really tough but I caught a glimpse of the 3.45 baloon at The Gingerman(Fenian St) managed to reach the group on Pearse Street and then had the legs to push on and hit 3:41 fo my chip time .. the home straight atmosphere was un-real ... the day was an experience but it all felt like blur that evening ...I was aiming for 3.45 and to do 3.41 and I'm certainly basking in my own personal glory

Well done to everyone who orgainised, worked on the day, supported and ran,walked, limped and fell around the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 runforrest

A great day with perfect conditions thank god for those yellow balloons didnt always have them in sight as the pacers would have started 2 mins ahead of me but knowing they were ahead kept me going,posted 3 29 24 a pb, really happy but really sore. Well done to everyone and a big thankyou to the pacers at all times keeping control of pace and taking burden of responsibility of hitting time targets for so many keyed up runners.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 stars (average)
    RubyK wrote: »
    Oh, and I just want to echo what others have said about the pacers. They really did a great job! It's a selfless act, giving up your own race time for others. You were greatly appreciated.

+1

My first marathon and I stayed with the 3.30 pacers until mile 17.
    They were truly an inspiration and I can't thank them enough.
    The last 9.2 miles were torture without them.
    The first 17 seemed effortless running in that group.
    The camaradarie was unbelievable. Will definitely be back next year.
    This running lark is pretty addictive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    I've just gone and downloaded my thoughts on the weekend to my semiderilict training log here.

For those of you that were asking to see what my training actually consisted of that can be seen and laughed at a few posts before here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

I’m not sure which pacer it was but one of them was full of beans right away…”COME ON THE 3.30’s”. Whoever you were fair play! From the outset I was feeling really good and the miles were flying by. The Phoenix Park was just unreal…beautiful. Out into Chapo ,under a bridge and a booming rendition of “OGGY OGGY OGGY” by the aforementioned pacer. Great craic!

LeCheile was the cheerleader in our group, but only because he was better positioned towards the back of the 3:30 group (whereas I was up front driving the bus) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Big congratulations to everyone who ran on Monday! I was out supporting with a big bowl of wine gums on Foster's Avenue so hope I helped some of you on your way!

Funniest moment was the man who came over to us and blessed himself before taking a sweet from the bowl!!

Advertisement