Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    4:03 meh still a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

4 stars (good)
    Absolutely delighted. Finished Clock - 3:05:07 / Chip - 3:04:49, which was much better than I imagined I'd go, even in my wildest dreams! Training has gone reasonably well, and my race times indicated 3:08 was about my predicted time. Never imagined that I'd manage to go under!

Started out well, and possibly too fast. My GPS lost signal for most of the first mile, so that put a spanner in the works a bit. I was going well in the park, and 2 mins ahead of my ambitious target at the half way point. Passed earlyevening about 15 miles, as he was walking through a water station. I couldn't tell if he was walking to drink, or was struggling a bit. I then passed DNHOP at 16 miles, who looked like he wasn't having a good day. This made me a bit nervous, as reckoned I may have overcooked it myself. Held it together, and at 18 miles Woddle let me know I wasn't too far behind the 3 hour pace group. Slowed a bit around 20 miles, but felt reasonably comfortable up to mile 23. Dragged myself home from there... and the smile hasn't left my face since!!

Thanks to all the support... there was loads of shouts for and from Boardsies out there. It really helped, particularly when it started to hurt (about mile 19/20 - Clonskeagh Road is a B****).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

3 stars (average)
    Done 3:46... Am happy but was on for a much faster time as I passed 22miles at 3:00. Felt like I'd lots of energy for the last four miles, but started getting really bad cramps so had to stop stretch and walk a few times.

It was an amazing day for it and great support along the route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157625238106268/
    http://www.racepix.com/Dublin-Marathon-2010/racephotos/405/

I've just started uploading so will take a while. I doubt I'll be tagging every photo by bib but I will tag them by pacer, so if at the 18 mile mark you were ahead of the 3hr pacer well then look at the photos tagged 2'08-3'00pacer and I'll do the same with the others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Robinph 2'58

Nothing more I can say....except....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D D :D:D

I'm going back to the pub now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats folks. I was up at Phibsboro Church this morning, just before the 3 mile mark, lepping up and down like an eejit and roaring at everyone I saw. I was so jealous of everybody, even the ones who already looked knackered ;) Well done to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tunguska 2.42
    Elfoyzer 3.16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

robinph wrote: »
    Nothing more I can say....except....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D D :D:D

I'm going back to the pub now.

Congrats. Wish I could have stayed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Misty 2.59

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Today was nearly a DNS for me due to injury. I feared that running it would result in a DNF so would have taken any result beforehand. Delighted to run solidly and get a 3:19:47. Would have liked to have worn the Boards colours but the Wicklow Hospice vest had to take precedence on the day. Coming across the line the accomplishment (with some soreness!) gave me as much satisfaction as any marathon I've finished.

Great to see the fab results coming through. A great list of results for Wicklow hospice too.

Amazing to see the pacing 'train' that was the 3:15 steaming past me with a few k to go. The energy was palpable. Well done Boards runners and pacers and all supporters out there who were amazing.

Funny moment from my race was around Kilmainham when whilst running quite well I was still overtaken by a guy in full Lepracheaun regallia. Fair play to you sir whoever you were. Looked like a sub 3er in disguise.

Nice moment afterwards when the guy in Starbucks near Mespil gave me a coffee free gratis just for running the marathon. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Heffsarmy 2:35 I think :eek:
    seanynova 2:56. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Was on the Templeogue Rd at Bushy Pk. Great atmosphere on a perfect Autumn morning. Saw a good few boardies. Tunguska was flying and looking very strong. Could'nt believe it when I saw Robinph going past ahead of the 3hr pacers, I thought to myself he's either going to get a great time or crash and burn over the next few miles, the former happened:) Well done. Donothoponpop (had his boards name on the back of his tshirt;)) and earlyevening were'nt looking to good, earlyevening was holding his side. Figs was looking really strong when he went by. Menopause seem to be struggling but only missed the 3:30 by a couple of minutes- you'll nail it next time. RK had a big smile on her face as she went by. All the pacers seem to be having a great time and a big cheer went up everytime they went by. Think I saw HM but I've never met her in the flesh so to speak, so wasn't sure.
    For a brief second I was sorry I had'nt entered this year, but the memories of last year came back, so any thoughts for next year were soon dismissed.
    Well done to everyone, enjoy the afterglow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    I had an absolute blast pacing today. I carried the sign and came in at 3:29:11, the two balloon guys were about 10 and 20 seconds behind (I guess), so I declare us bang on time.

Absolute loads of people coming up afterwards, thanking us. Highlight of the day for me.

I was a bit worried beforehand how it would go because I had not run over 15 miles since Dingle but felt great all the way.

I'll give this pacing thing another go. This is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    " The Bluffers Guide to A Sub 3"

Jez where do I start..Ok I along with a good crew of Boardies ran Berlin last month..My time was 3.04.52 with splits of 1.34.00/1.30.52 a pb of 17 minutes..When I got home ( suffering with a chest infection ) I reflected on that performance and felt maybe I'd more in me..Was not sure how to approach Dublin as chest infection was slow to clear until I met Krusty(at last) at the Expo..He asked me my plan 4 Dublin and dont know why but I blurted out that i'd try and go with the 3 hour pacers. As I left Expo I decided I'd have to go with that plan come hell or high water..

Race
    I positioned myself about 20 yards form the 3 hour pacers at the start..As the marathon started they headed off but I got caught behind loads of stragglers ( why in Gods name do so many people aiming for slower times tend to position themselves up the top )..After 1 mile I could c the 3hr baloon about 200 yards in the distance.. No major panic I progressed well and made progress.. At mile 6 I took my 1st gel and with the pacers about 60 yards ahead of me felt comfortable. That changed on Upper Glen Road when the 3hr baloon burst!! so I had to get closer in case I lost them..To the b fair the lads had a hand held sign which they held up regularly..
    All was fine til mile 12 when I let one of my beloved powerbar gels fall ..Sh!te I only had 2 left for the remainder of the marathon.

The pacers were brillant and I didnt bother checking my watch..They were doing all the work 4 me..At mile 16 I made a big mistake..4 some reason I decided to push on and moved ahead of the pacers..This plan went pearshaped when I turned right onto Clonskeagh Road..All of a sudden I felt empty, my energy levels were way down.( I was relying on my gels and water through the race..energiser sports drink and me dont get on :) )

The pacers and their band of merry men and women passed me at the top of Fosters Avenue and quickly moved away.. I feared the worst..However there was light at the end of the tunnel..A spectator was giving out banana's there a I gratefully grabbed one..This made me feel better and at this stage I played my last card..I turned on my Ipod ( sorry 2 alll the anti ipod mob :D) and concentrated on the music.. Again I slowly got back with the lads but was fu!!ed by mile 24...Dont know how I did it but I dug deep and got home in 2.59.02..

A special thanks to
    (1) All the spectators calling me Berlin ( had my Berlin top on )..Ye put a smile on my face...
    (2) The very kind gent whose hand I nearly ripped off getting the banana..
    (3) A special thanks to the 3 hr pacers..I know Im speaking 4 all of crew but without ur assistance and help there's no way I would have got around in the time I did..Fair play lads..

Im physically wreaked but emotionally high as a kite..I could'nt even look at a pint so home it was..I did enjoy a few cigs( christ I have 2 give them up )

Goodnight and thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    :):):)3'58"31:):):)---a 3'xx after 3 years trying thank god!!Was behind the 4hr pacers for about 13 until the last ballon blew away to the heavens,got to half in 1'58"49 and was feeling fine but knew the fun had not begun yet..A welcome banana at mile 9 seemed to kick in as i approached the 17m mark where the wheels fell off in 08,09 so i said instead of slowing down and feeling bad let's run faster and see how it goes.Did the next 3 in 25mins and with 10k to go it was not getting away this time--but then exactly at 21m my left leg went and i could not even walk,many curses as i was fine otherwise and had to pull in--3 mins thinking the race was over but then when i tried walking after some amateur stretches it was ok so i took off again and did the next couple well under 9 each and knew if the legs held up i was home under 4.Passed RQ about 23 and knew the race was won if i got to 25--elated to break 4 and very very lucky as i thought the goose was cooked at 21M.
    Only disappointment was the clock was 401 and the 3 mins lost would have got me under but TBH i couldn't care less :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    Huge thanks to the 3:45 pacers, ran 3:44:01 (on my garmin) after chasing them all the way!! Really delighted as this was a big PB for me after running 4:22 last year.
    I couldn't make it to the selected pub afterwards, would really loved to have bought those ballon carrying dudes a big frosty pint- maybe there should be a beer fund set up for pacers on paypal or something as a way for people who can't go to get a round in!!!!

Just got chip time- 3:43:54:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

3 stars (average)
    I ran with the 3 hour group and one balloon disappeared while the other burst in the park. I stayed with them until mile 16 when I got spit out the back and was left to fend for myself.
    There was a lot of people in that group, like myself, who were a bit optimistic with there times and this showed with the rate people were being dropped out the back at.
    I buckled at mile 22 and put this down to starting off too fast.
    A disappointing 3.12 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

4 stars (good)
    3:56 3:54:47 (chip Time) a PB and delighted with it! Great to meet boardsies along the way and in McGrattans too! Pity I couldn't stay longer. Roll on DCM 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

3 stars (average)
    I did Chicago 2 weeks ago and I noticed a big difference. The support was good but not as good as Chicago. The bad thing for me here was I found the mile markers to be positioned badly and easy to miss. I also found there wasnt enough water stations at the end of the run.

Otherwise, I found it really good. Delighted. My first two marathons completed within 2 weeks of eachother.

Anyone any idea when the results are online?

Finished in 4hrs 6mins according to my Garmin.

4 hrs 6 mins 15 seconds. Missed out on the family record by 1 minute. Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

mprop wrote: »
    I did Chicago 2 weeks ago and I noticed a big difference. The support was good but not as good as Chicago. The bad thing for me here was I found the mile markers to be positioned badly and easy to miss. I also found there wasnt enough water stations at the end of the run.

Otherwise, I found it really good. Delighted. My first two marathons completed within 2 weeks of eachother.

Anyone any idea when the results are online?
    Here

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&id=3003&pageType=1&servizio=000&locale=2057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ivanski72

4 stars (good)
    Bit wrecked now so I'll post something more substantial later but today a great day. Wonderful event, great weather, great course and support.
    I can't fault the whole thing.
    Ran 3:30 on the nose. Delighted with that as had two ops in late spring and took me a long time to get the stamina back.

The 3:30 pacers roared me home. Thanks lads. I owe you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    Today was a disaster for me and one i want to forget quickly. Set out with the 3.30 group and was slugish for the first 3 mile or so but quickly got into a rhythm and was feeling good. Ran the next few miles with Menoscomo who was also trying for his sub 3.30 (good to put a face to the name).

Bang mile 11 my right hamstring started to get very tight and i tried to run it off through mile 12 and 13 but to no avail (horrible feeling seeing them balloons drift away). Had to pull up at the physio tent at mile 15 and seek some attention, hard to tell but they reckoned it was probably a pulled hamstring.

Tried to walk/jog and it was too painful with every step, contemplated just binning it around mile 16 as i was pissed off and the thoughts of having to walk another 10 mile. I decided to plough on, walked most of it and ran the last 2 mile as i wanted to get it over with and not let the kids see Dad hobbling around the corner of College Green. My two lads ended up running the last 200 mtrs with me which was the only high point of the second half:)

To have little or no injuries this year and get the training spot on for my race of the year it is truly dissapointing how the day went. The garmin tells the story, almost 3 hours spent hobbling the second half of the marathon to finish in a horrible 4hr 42 some 48 mins slower than Cork this year.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54337313

P.S Well done to all who achieved their PB targets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Funny moment from my race was around Kilmainham when whilst running quite well I was still overtaken by a guy in full Lepracheaun regallia. Fair play to you sir whoever you were. Looked like a sub 3er in disguise.

5114649700_38eb02440e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Congrats anyway Jackyback!

I saw a lot of otherwise very fit looking people struggling up the hill at Milltown holding on to some part of their body with pain. My heart went out to them knowing there was still another painful 8 or so miles to go. Well done to you and all those people carrying injuries for finishing. It shows great spirit...you deserved that medal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Heffsarmy - 2:35 with a 3 min neg split. That's just incredible. Well done that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    dolliemix wrote: »
    Congrats anyway Jackyback!

I saw a lot of otherwise very fit looking people struggling up the hill at Milltown holding on to some part of their body with pain. My heart went out to them knowing there was still another painful 8 or so miles to go. Well done to you and all those people carrying injuries for finishing. It shows great spirit...you deserved that medal! :)

It's soul destroying being overtaken by so many and seeing the 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15 and 4.30 pacer balloons pass by knowing there is feck all you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Echo all the comments re the pacers (such unselfishness to sacrifice their own race to help others) , the crowd (huge numbers showed up to support) & the overall general atmosphere (unforgetable).
    Some of you may recall that I trained for 5 months last winter with the hope of breaking 3 hrs at Rotterdam. Was'nt to be and a pelvis injury 3 weeks out meant I was forced to watch from the sidelines. Was absolutely gutted but penciled in DCM 2010 after a summer experimenting with Tri's.
    So DCM '10 was marathon number 2 after running 3.10 at DCM 08. This year I only managed half the miles and did'nt have one week of over 50 miles. During my Rotterdam training I was regularly hitting 70 mile weeks. The pelvis just was'nt allowing me do big weeks so my average mileage was about 35-40 mpw. This was the one thing nagging at me & I knew there was a risk that I would be found out over the last 6 miles.

Race started off as planned. Followed three hour balloon for first 3 miles then pulled away from it as the crowd following the pacer meant it was hard to find room for a normal stride. Hooked up with 3 other Mayo AC guys and we worked well together up until mile 19 or so. My legs did feel heavy at the half way point (clocked at 1.28) but came good again after a couple of gels.
    Felt relatively fresh at 20 and knew that sub 3 was well on so I pushed it from the top of Roebuck hill. Felt great passing people and convinced myself that it would be a short burst home. Never like though is it!

After a fast mile at 21 I dropped back somewhat and really began to feel the pain. Mile 24 to home was a real mental & physical battle but I was happy it was only 2 miles of it (friend of mine hit the wall at 13 and struggled home from there (without stopping once!) so puts things into perspective).

AT 24 I switched the Garmin from lap pace to average pace and knew that if I kept it at 6.45 I would be home and dry. Crowds were amazing and really helped for the last half mile. Came across the line in 2.58 and was overjoyed. Words don't really do the feeling justice so I won't attempt suffice to say the feeling will stay with me for a long time.

To all those who hit their targets and to all those who maybe missed out on their goal time for whatever reason be it injury, pacing, cramps etc - well done. Their are so many lessons to be learned from a race like that & everyone will have their day when the time is meant to be.

Dublin really shone today. Thank you to all the organisers who did a superb job! MRR :D:D:D

Splits for anyone interested -
    Mile 1 - 6.45
    Mile 2 - 6.37
    Mile 3 - 6.47
    Mile 4 - 6.32
    Mile 5 - 6.38
    Mile 6 - 6.47
    Mile 7 - 6.38
    Mile 8 - 6.33
    Mile 9 - 6.43
    Mile 10 - 6.46
    Mile 11 - 6.42
    Mile 12 - 6.50
    Mile 13 - 6.49
    Mile 14 - 6.42
    Mile 15 - 6.43
    Mile 16 - 6.50
    Mile 17 - 6.42
    Mile 18 - 6.45
    Mile 19 - 6.52
    Mile 20 - 6.57
    Mile 21 - 6.51
    Mile 22 - 6.23
    Mile 23 - 6.36
    Mile 24 - 6.51
    Mile 25 - 6.59
    Mile 26 - 7.04
    Mile .36 - 2.28

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done to all today - I was watching on the hill at Roebuck Road between miles 20 and 21 and the palms of my hands are bruised from clapping! Great to see everyone doing so well, enjoy the celebrations tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

3 stars (average)
    Another happy camper here. I finished in 4:27:22, knocking 11 minutes from my previous PB. :D:D However I made the classic mistake and went out too quick. Was going well until Clonskeagh Road and from ther in it was a case of mind over matter.

Introduced myself to Hunnymonster on Parnel Square - Hi HM, and Woddle at Miltown. (You can delete that photo of me going from a walk to a run when I saw you were about to take a photo. :P)

I have to say that the DCM is a well run race and gets better every year. One small pointer is that the mile markers need to be above head height. I missed a lot of them today.

Lastly, well done to everyone here. Some fantastic stories and PB's coming through. It was definitely a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great run from Bazman also just missing out on the medals in 2.22

Advertisement