Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Wasn't a great day at the office for me yesterday, finished in 4:18, but considering the injury I picked up I'm still happy enough with the time (and it's a 24 minute PB).

Another great race on a perfect day. The support was even better than last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

xebec wrote: »
    Wasn't a great day at the office for me yesterday, finished in 4:18, but considering the injury I picked up I'm still happy enough with the time (and it's a 24 minute PB).

Another great race on a perfect day. The support was even better than last year...
    Well done, your have a fast time then that in you, now you can enjoy some XC races after a good rest.. :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heffsarmy wrote: »
    These are my splits for the marathon, would be interested in seen Bazmans

distance 26.81 avg 5.49m/m

5.13 20miles this was a fast one
    5.26 0.81 miles

Cracking running heff. That negative split is something else. Definately the run of the day
    Bloody legend
    Are you sure it was me you were running with in those first 6 miles :)

I had the first 6 as

1. 06:00 (est)
    2. 06:07
    3. 06:05
    4. 06:18
    5. 05:48
    6. 06:11

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    My second DCM and have to say this event gets better by the year. I hope with such good winning times it gets the international recognition it deserves and keeps growing in stature.

Very happy with my finishing time of 3.49 as training was curtailed due to soccer injuries, and i have to say I owe a big part of that to the 3.45 pacers which I lived with till around the 20th mile. A big thanks to ''Theboyblunder'' who i got to say hello to during the race and I agree fully with him when he said the boards were such a valuable tool to runners for advice etc. And well done to the pacers who really drummed up the crowds at every junction with their shouts of encouragement to get the supporters cheering even louder if that was possible.

And a final thank you for the fabulous volunteers who made it such a well run event. They gave up their day and probably had a very early start just to give us the best possible experience. Next up Barcelona but roll on DCM 2011.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    My God the Polish girl, Patrycja, had herself an absloute nightmare. I passed her at 12miles and she seemed to be dropping back a little. But that was some breakdown. Fair play to her for finishing though. Hard lessons learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tunguska wrote: »
    My God the Polish girl, Patrycja, had herself an absloute nightmare. I passed her at 12miles and she seemed to be dropping back a little. But that was some breakdown. Fair play to her for finishing though. Hard lessons learned.

wow, and I though I would surely win the prize for worst breakdown :rolleyes: , don't even remembering passing her in the 2nd half, or anyone else for that matter.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

4 stars (good)
    Just completed my first marathon in 3hr 49mins yesterday so still on a high!

Atmosphere was amazing and writing my name on my top helped so much with everyone cheering me on! It was tough at stages, there were some very quiet lonely stretches between 18-21 but I had supporters at UCD and 23miles which pushed me on. In general though I thought the crowds were fantastic and fair play to all the kids (and adults) who were up early to support and give out sweets!

Turning the corner onto Nassau St was simply amazing.. the crowds were unreal and it seemed like everyone was shouting my name edging me on for the final straight! With that I completely opened my pace up (dont know where it came from!) for the last 385 yards and was practically sprinting up to the finish line!

I certainly earned myself a few pints yesterday and I must say there was such a buzz in the pubs around Dublin yesterday with all the competitors mixing and congratulating each other over a few drinks.

Looking forward to putting myself through another marathon some time soon... :) HUGE thanks to everyone involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

4 stars (good)
    Stunning day for any sort of a run, never mind a marathon. I would almost ideal conditions. An atmosphere to die for ! Crowds that just get bigger every year . Dublin seems to have finally embraced the BIG CITY MARATHON ...The traffic spots seem to have been handled very professionally .

As for the run.. well at 48.5 yrs of age and my 6th marathon , the whole thing finally came together to a glorious 3.20.36 and almost exact splits . A full 19 mins better than 12 months ago in Chicago ...and over 4 minutes better than my 2004DCM & 2005 NY times after which I missed 2 years of running with a serious bout of ME ...Yesterday was simply my best ever experience in running shoes ...The day was made even more special because we had a group of 38 runners all under the Aviva banner and all came home safely ( 19 in the first marathon) . And my running friends from Knocklyon Runners all completed successfully as well ...and we had the club helping out at the start line ...
    But the biggest plus of the day was my wife Walking the marathon in a stunning 5.40 ...(very quick walking ) ...she now truly understands what the sport of running gives to me ......days like yesterday are what we run for ...well done everyone ...roll on Berlin 2011 ( might squeeze London in if I can get a charity spot)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    PVincent wrote: »
    Stunning day for any sort of a run, never mind a marathon. I would almost ideal conditions. An atmosphere to die for ! Crowds that just get bigger every year . Dublin seems to have finally embraced the BIG CITY MARATHON ...The traffic spots seem to have been handled very professionally .

As for the run.. well at 48.5 yrs of age and my 6th marathon , the whole thing finally came together to a glorious 3.20.36 and almost exact splits . A full 19 mins better than 12 months ago in Chicago ...and over 4 minutes better than my 2004DCM & 2005 NY times after which I missed 2 years of running with a serious bout of ME ...Yesterday was simply my best ever experience in running shoes ...The day was made even more special because we had a group of 38 runners all under the Aviva banner and all came home safely ( 19 in the first marathon) . And my running friends from Knocklyon Runners all completed successfully as well ...and we had the club helping out at the start line ...
    But the biggest plus of the day was my wife Walking the marathon in a stunning 5.40 ...(very quick walking ) ...she now truly understands what the sport of running gives to me ......days like yesterday are what we run for ...well done everyone ...roll on Berlin 2011 ( might squeeze London in if I can get a charity spot)

Well done vincent and OH...Ur few lines sum up why there are very few experiences to match running and in particular marathon running... C u in Berlin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

My second DCM and have to say this event gets better by the year. I hope with such good winning times it gets the international recognition it deserves and keeps growing in stature.

Very happy with my finishing time of 3.49 as training was curtailed due to soccer injuries, and i have to say I owe a big part of that to the 3.45 pacers which I lived with till around the 20th mile. A big thanks to ''Theboyblunder'' who i got to say hello to during the race and I agree fully with him when he said the boards were such a valuable tool to runners for advice etc. And well done to the pacers who really drummed up the crowds at every junction with their shouts of encouragement to get the supporters cheering even louder if that was possible.

And a final thank you for the fabulous volunteers who made it such a well run event. They gave up their day and probably had a very early start just to give us the best possible experience. Next up Barcelona but roll on DCM 2011.:rolleyes:

Hey Tipp man, were you wearing a Tip jersey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yet another great run from Pauric Mckinney this guy is becoming a bit of a legend to me at this stage. Super splits too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »

She still beat me. Just. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Cork boie

great to read these posts on dcm experiences....well done to all ! especially those who were carrying injuries...inspirational ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

For those with race reports you might consider putting them here as there only getting lost in this thread.
    Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556074

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Yeah it was a great day - anyone know how many runners actually finished??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Well done 4:30 pacers. I let you go way ahead at the start but you came into view again around the 30k mark and I finally caught you at College Green and finished with a 4:28 in my first marathon 363 days after I went for my first ever run and at 41 yo. I had been hoping for 4:30 or better and I managed a negative split (2:16 at the half way point) so I'm dead chuffed.

I've had a lot of issues with my sciatic nerve but yesterday seems to have bludgeoned that into submission..but EVERYTHING else hurts instead!

I'm an ipod wearer and had planned to use it yesterday. I left the earphones out at the start just to make sure I could hear all the instructions etc. but the atmosphere was so good I never put the earphones on at all and just kept them tucked inside my shirt while nike+ did its thing and I never missed it at any stage.

I too didn't get the "Spartan" thing. No wonder they kept looking at me funny when I yelled "Hail Ceasar" at them. D'oh!

Took my first ice bath last night and it really seems to have helped. I'd recommend it.

Great day, super organisation. Well done everyone and thanks for all the invaluable tips etc. I've gleaned from this thread.

rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

Really enjoyed the marathon :D:D did everyone feel the same??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    10,700 results online. Out of c 13,000. 18% didn't finish or didn't run. Thats a lot but probably consistent for events of this kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

Congratulations to all the finishers and everyone who achieved their goal.

I’m pleased to say I finished with a chip time of 3:12:59 which is a PB of over 13 minutes, and gives me a GFA qualification into the London Marathon in 2012 which was my goal. I’m proud as punch.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

10,700 results online. Out of c 13,000. 18% didn't finish or didn't run. Thats a lot but probably consistent for events of this kind?

It would be interesting to know how many actually registered as that would enable us to work out the proportion of DNFs. Anyone got access to that info? I saw a few dropouts, not that many though - asked me for the quickest way back to city centre. (And no, I didn't note their numbers, the chip mats take care of that nowadays.)

• Advertisement

Some nerd stats. Without naming names, I know of some people who blew up completely and slowed down drastically (although injury is a possibility too). I did a calculation to rate them. On the TDS live website, take the "delta" for the last 12.2 km and divide by the RealTime at 30km.

Based on distance (12.2/30) the percentage is 40.65%, so if you ran absolutely even pace, your percentage would be 40.65%.

If you look at Bazman, his percentage is 41.85% - beautifully paced.

So, two examples I know:

Male - 68.6%
    Female - 103.4%

Anyone beat them (i.e. worse)? Or beat Bazman (i.e. better)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Burgman wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how many actually registered as that would enable us to work out the proportion of DNFs. Anyone got access to that info? I saw a few dropouts, not that many though - asked me for the quickest way back to city centre. (And no, I didn't note their numbers, the chip mats take care of that nowadays.)

I saw somewhere (Irish Indo?) that there were only 150 or so DNFs. Doubt it was that few though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    Just been reading through the proceeding posts, some great runs there, congrats to everyone.

Was a race of two halves for me, my plan was to run with a friend doing his first marathon and see if we could finish under 4 hours and maybe a little bit faster. All was going well, we zoned in on the 4 hour pacers and our next plan was to push on a bit to get in front. Then next thing I knew, he was gone! So I held station for a while, then dropped back for a km or so but still couldn't see a sign of him. Next I thought maybe he'd gone ahead of me so I pushed on a bit to go just in front of the 4 hours pacers but again no sign. Bumped into a friend there so stayed with him for a while.

By the time I got to the half-way stage figured it was a lost cause so tossed away my hat & gloves & pushed on. Ended up with a bit of a negative split :)

First 13.1 miles - 1:59:18
    Second 13.1 miles - 1:36:17
    Finish time - 3:35:35

After the race, found out what happened. He spotted a portaloo somewhere & stopped for what turned out to be a prolonged break but didn't tell me. Came home in just over 4:08 in the end so he was happy with that but must admit I do feel a bit guilty about what happened.

Apart from that really enjoyed the race, it was my third marathon but the first where it didn't lash rain the whole time! Nice t-shirt as well in the goody bag. Pacers were doing a great job from what I saw & heard from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

3 stars (average)
    First Marathon and bagged a 3:52:04. I was hoping for a sub 4 and felt I had a few minutes faster in me, but realised that this was going to be a mammoth task which would involve sticking to my PMP and not taking any walking breaks. The whole unknown of those last 6.2 miles which I had never experienced in training was what really worried me in the build-up. I now know that there's no possible practical way of preparing for it. I can't say I felt my freshest yesterday morning and the pain started to hit home early enough from around mile 15. Last couple of miles were a real struggle but I managed to maintain the pace I had set for myself and keep going somehow. I was pretty much out of it for the last mile or so along Pearse St./Nassau St. with a serious dose of dizziness but wasn't going to stop at that stage and staggered over the line almost to the second which I had set for myself the day before (3:52:00).

Great feeling I must say. The crowds and the atmosphere were superb. It certainly restores one's faith in humanity when you see all the people out on the street volunteering, cheering and generally offering a great level of support to a bunch of runners who (in most cases) they've never set eyes on before. I even spotted John Treacy out cheering on the crowds at Foster's Ave!

All-in-all, an experience I'll never forget. Well done to everyone and roll on DCM 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kciaran

4 stars (good)
    Burgman wrote: »
    Some nerd stats. Without naming names, I know of some people who blew up completely and slowed down drastically (although injury is a possibility too). I did a calculation to rate them. On the TDS live website, take the "delta" for the last 12.2 km and divide by the RealTime at 30km.

Based on distance (12.2/30) the percentage is 40.65%, so if you ran absolutely even pace, your percentage would be 40.65%.

If you look at Bazman, his percentage is 41.85% - beautifully paced.

So, two examples I know:

Male - 68.6%
    Female - 103.4%

Anyone beat them (i.e. worse)? Or beat Bazman (i.e. better)?
    Hey - is this right?

30k - 2.35.2
    chip finish 3.37.23

= 26.3%

Does that sound right?

No 1548 by the way

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

3 stars (average)
    Does anyone know are the 10km, half and 30km splits based on gun times? Going by my Garmin they seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

3 stars (average)
    dowlinj wrote: »
    Does anyone know are the 10km, half and 30km splits based on gun times? Going by my Garmin they seem to be.

Yes, well mine were anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    I saw somewhere (Irish Indo?) that there were only 150 or so DNFs. Doubt it was that few though.
    I think over 2,000 didn't go to the expo to collect their number, or didn't start. So, maybe the 11,000 or so, that started were fairly confident of finishing one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    plodder wrote: »
    I think over 2,000 didn't go to the expo to collect their number, or didn't start. So, maybe the 11,000 or so, that started were fairly confident of finishing one way or another.

Thats a fair stash of uncollected medals and fine DCM 2010 long sleeved tops so :eek:

• Advertisement

kciaran wrote: »
    Hey - is this right?

30k - 2.35.2
    chip finish 3.37.23

= 26.3%

Does that sound right?

No 1548 by the way

Cheers

Going on the home-made formula I gave earlier, your last 12.2km = 62m 35s = 62.58 minutes. 30km = 2:35:20 = 155.33 mins. Finish factor = 40.29%. So you accelerated in the last 6.2 miles. Well done.

Advertisement