Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

i so i just go with the email i got when i paid the sponduliks?
    slan
    also attire for the day.
    any experienced DCM people advise on what to wear on top?
    singlet to little?
    compression top too much?
    it is the end of october mind!
    slan
    s

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    seanin4711 wrote: »
    also attire for the day.

Wear what you wore on your long runs, eat what you ate on your long runs, do everything the same as you did on your long runs - but run a little faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question, sorry in advance....
    Is there a particular side of the road the pacers run on?
    They should be following the racing line as closely as possible. If you want them to spot you, stay just ahead of the balloons through Phoenix Park (as there's usually quite a crowd behind them!). Also, wear a luminous mankini.

3 stars (average)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    I hate carrying stuff and have never worn a belt, and only have the 1 pocket in my shorts.
    Get a gel belt. As light as anything most convenient way to carry a handful of gels. Don't like carrying stuff? Tough luck, unless you can position friendly spectators around the course. I certainly wouldn't like to be betting my three months training on your current strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Marthastew wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question, sorry in advance....
    Is there a particular side of the road the pacers run on? I'm planning to run with the 3.45 group and I want to know what side of the road to tell my family to stand on. I ran DC as my first Marathon two years ago and I didn't see my family untill Fosters Avenue because I missed them in Phoenix Park (probably the easiest place to cheer people on). By the time they saw me I was struggling badly and this year I'd like them to also see me while I'm still smiling in Phoenix Park. I know they'll find it easier to find me if they're looking for the balloon (purple I think?).
    Best of luck to everyone and Happy Tapering...

Any other suggestions for good places for my family to cheer me on? They'll be driving and are coming from South Dublin.

I rem I cheered on my mates in 2008. Was on Cromwellsfort road in walkinstown beside the best chipper in the country(doesnt open at 11am though) after 14 miles. Werent many people there so you would def see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    I think the pacers should carry everyones gels :D

3 stars (average)
    I think the pacers should be bought lots of pints.
    Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fixed your post.

Where's the dislike button?!

Only kidding, if you get me around in 3:15 I'll buy all your pints for the rest of the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Peckham

I think the pacers should carry everyones gels :D

Good idea. I'll practice running with one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Good idea. I'll practice running with one of these.

ha ha very good :D. would look extra funny in high heels.

EDIT: gotta say, thats cracked me up. The image I have in my head. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

3 stars (average)
    In 2008 my group had a "runner" on a bike who carried gels, drinks, vaseline etc.
    Although the group split he was able to go back and forth between us giving us supplies.
    I must ad that this guy was a very experienced cyclist and has done this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    Jnealon wrote: »
    In 2008 my group had a "runner" on a bike who carried gels, drinks, vaseline etc.
    Although the group split he was able to go back and forth between us giving us supplies.
    I must ad that this guy was a very experienced cyclist and has done this before.

They're trying to get bikers off the course this year, think you're liable to be disqualified if you get aided by a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    jaffa cakes, fig rolls, jelly babies all washed down with a can of flat coke :D

Sounds like a savage kids birthday party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds like a savage kids birthday party :D

Or a typical evening in front of the tv for me

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

4 stars (good)
    I'm a bit behind on my training, various things etc that got in the way. Also I kind of decided late on to do the marathon (my first one). I lost a good bit of weight last year (95kgs down to 76kgs) and I have only really been running since March. I would consider myself pretty fit now.

I signed up to the race series and it went pretty well. 1:18:41 for the 10 mile and 1:38:41 for the half. Coming up to the half training was going well so I decided then to go for the big one. I did 16 miles the week before the race and handled if pretty well.

Then since the half I have only managed to get in two ten miles on the weekends as long runs and maybe 6 or 7 runs of 5-8 miles midweek, half of those doing fartlek.

Last Sunday I decided to go for a 20 miler to see how I got on. It was very tough but I managed it in 2:59. My legs were burning from about 12 miles. I had a powerbar @ about 13 miles and that seemed to help a bit. I carry a bottle with a mix of water & Luc sport, which I drink from approx every 30-40 mins. Legs felt like jelly at the end. I stretched and sat in a cold bath followed by a warm one. Yesterday they felt stiff but not too bad. I went for a short 3 mile run last night and it felt good running and they eased out. Planning a 7 mile fartlek tonight.

Few questions:
    1. Should I abandon and wait for another race?
    2. If I can make the 20 miles albeit at a struggle can I make the 26?
    3. Should I go for another 20 mile run this Sunday?
    4. If not what should I do between now and the race?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Get a gel belt. As light as anything most convenient way to carry a handful of gels. Don't like carrying stuff? Tough luck, unless you can position friendly spectators around the course. I certainly wouldn't like to be betting my three months training on your current strategy!

So let me get this straight Krusty, your telling me to do something I never did before on the big day (gel belt) :eek:

Tx, but no thanks ! Like the idea of pinning them to my shorts, will try it out first on my 13mls next Sunday.

What do you mean by 'my current strategy'. I plan to take Powerbar gels what I've been taking all along on my long runs, sparingly, and I know I can digest with ease (and water).
    I'll take one just before the start, and another at 10, 20 & 30K. Whats wrong with that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    troy wrote: »

Few questions:

1) You'll better-race a better-prepared Spring marathon.
    2) Lack of long runs is causing you to struggle for 20 miles, the 26 will be a longer struggle.
    3) Bad idea. It would still be in your legs come raceday.
    4) Don't try and squeeze in missed sessions. Very little you can do to change your race fitness at this stage (perhaps some short strides or other speed session, along with the usual taper easy runs).

I'm a bit behind on my training, various things etc that got in the way. Also I kind of decided late on to do the marathon (my first one). I lost a good bit of weight last year (95kgs down to 76kgs) and I have only really been running since March. I would consider myself pretty fit now.

I signed up to the race series and it went pretty well. 1:18:41 for the 10 mile and 1:38:41 for the half. Coming up to the half training was going well so I decided then to go for the big one. I did 16 miles the week before the race and handled if pretty well.

Then since the half I have only managed to get in two ten miles on the weekends as long runs and maybe 6 or 7 runs of 5-8 miles midweek, half of those doing fartlek.

Last Sunday I decided to go for a 20 miler to see how I got on. It was very tough but I managed it in 2:59. My legs were burning from about 12 miles. I had a powerbar @ about 13 miles and that seemed to help a bit. I carry a bottle with a mix of water & Luc sport, which I drink from approx every 30-40 mins. Legs felt like jelly at the end. I stretched and sat in a cold bath followed by a warm one. Yesterday they felt stiff but not too bad. I went for a short 3 mile run last night and it felt good running and they eased out. Planning a 7 mile fartlek tonight.

Few questions:

First of all, congrats on dropping so much weight.

Second, that was a great improvement from the 10mile to the half, by my calculations you went from 7:52/ml in the 10mls to 7:32 for the half.
    What was your pace like for the 20mls? Did you keep it even or go out fast and blow up?
    I wouldn't do another 20 this weekend, maybe just 10-12mls, nice n' easy.

Judging by macmillian (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calc.pl), you have a sub 3:30 marathon in you. In saying that, you haven't been running long and have not enough LSR runs done. Your pacing is going to be very important. If I was you I'de probably go out with the 3:45 pacers and stay with them. Drink enough water and take a few gels along the way, and if your feeling good, maybe you can push on late in the race, after 22mls or so. This way you'll enjoy it.

So my advice, go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)

Few questions:

Troy I was in a very similar situation to u last year...I also missed on a couple of lsr's...Times u did for 10 and half are almost the same I did last year..

I don't think uve anything 2 worry about..there's alot more experienced posters than me to give advice but if it was me i'd do no more that a 10miler this weekend .. Come Monday week after ur Carb loading and with the excitement of the race ul coast home..

No pressure but it would'nt surprise me if u come in around the 3.30 mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the replies lads. I am pretty sure I will go for it. I will probably do a 11/12 mile run on the weekend and take it pretty easy for the week up to the race.

Speedy44 I went steady enough for the 20 miles but it probably dropped off a bit after 10 miles and got a bit erratic towards the end:
    WorkoutImage.dwi?WID=f7c0f197-7464-4348-91ea-2e3c15f90596

I'm not sure about what pace to go for the race. I think that I may run better at a quicker pace. I used to have a problem with shin splints and I had custom orthotics made. They made a huge difference and I couldn't run without them. I think that perhaps when I run at a slower pace it puts more pressure on my calves and shins. I could be totally wrong but when I ran the half marathon I felt great most of the way through. When I hit the 10 mile mark I was feeling so good I upped the pace, probably to 7.15/7.20, and that hit me with about a mile and a half to go. Am I being mad or can that be the case?

So I am not sure whether I should go out with the 3.30 pacers and risk blowing up or stick to 3.45 and try to stick it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Troy. You're well capable of doing a 3:30 marathon, but it doesn't sound like you've got the mileage done for it this time. I'd still run it though, but would just run a bit more conservatively than that (3:45 - 3:50 pace maybe). Definitely agree that another 20 mile run would be suicidal. 12 sounds about right.

definitely 3:45 Troy, that is unless you like pain !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    plodder wrote: »
    Troy. You're well capable of doing a 3:30 marathon, but it doesn't sound like you've got the mileage done for it this time. I'd still run it though, but would just run a bit more conservatively than that (3:45 - 3:50 pace maybe). Definitely agree that another 20 mile run would be suicidal. 12 sounds about right.

This is very sound advice.

To be honest, being that this is your first marathon, I personally wouldn't advise getting too hung up on a specific time target. Enjoy it, savour it and you'll be back for more in the future with the experience under your belt

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Fixed your post.

Are you a pacer for the DCM Krusty?
    And if so for what time?

ta

3 stars (average)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight Krusty, your telling me to do something I never did before on the big day (gel belt) :eek:

Tx, but no thanks ! Like the idea of pinning them to my shorts, will try it out first on my 13mls next Sunday.

What do you mean by 'my current strategy'. I plan to take Powerbar gels what I've been taking all along on my long runs, sparingly, and I know I can digest with ease (and water).
    I'll take one just before the start, and another at 10, 20 & 30K. Whats wrong with that :confused:
    Sorry, my original post came across a little more harsh than I had intended. What I meant to say was: if your race strategy depends on taking gels, and you blame your previous marathon failure on not getting enough gels, then hoping that you will be able to rely on the organizer's gel stations is a very risky strategy, particularly given that the first one is not until mile 18 or something similar (that's what I meant by your current strategy).

I would urge you to carry your own tried and tested brand of gel by any tried and tested mechanism you see fit! Having run with gels pinned to my shorts, stuffed into pockets, and slotted into a gel belt, I have to say that I found the gel belt to be the most comfortable and reliable mechanism. No safety pins. No masking tape, very little additional weight, and you still have 13 days to pick one up and try it out. They're not the same as carrying a drink belt.

3 stars (average)
    pdiddyw wrote: »
    Are you a pacer for the DCM Krusty?
    And if so for what time?

ta
    Along with village runner and Rory M, I'm one of the 3:15 pacers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

4 stars (good)

Having run with gels pinned to my shorts, stuffed into pockets, and slotted into a gel belt, I have to say that I found the gel belt to be the most comfortable and reliable mechanism. No safety pins. No masking tape, very little additional weight, and you still have 13 days to pick one up and try it out. They're not the same as carrying a drink belt.

+1 i've always pinned the gels to me until last week. I barely notice the gel belt + gels whereas with gels pinned to me they tend to move about a bit and it means fiddling with pins which is a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

4 stars (good)
    littlebug wrote: »
    +1 i've always pinned the gels to me until last week. I barely notice the gel belt + gels whereas with gels pinned to me they tend to move about a bit and it means fiddling with pins which is a nuisance.

can you or anybody recommend a good gel belt to use? I tend to use the square size gels as opposed to the long ones.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I picked up a Hilly one at Irishfit just before the half, cost me about a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sorry, my original post came across a little more harsh than I had intended. What I meant to say was: if your race strategy depends on taking gels, and you blame your previous marathon failure on not getting enough gels, then hoping that you will be able to rely on the organizer's gel stations is a very risky strategy, particularly given that the first one is not until mile 18 or something similar (that's what I meant by your current strategy).

I would urge you to carry your own tried and tested brand of gel by any tried and tested mechanism you see fit! Having run with gels pinned to my shorts, stuffed into pockets, and slotted into a gel belt, I have to say that I found the gel belt to be the most comfortable and reliable mechanism. No safety pins. No masking tape, very little additional weight, and you still have 13 days to pick one up and try it out. They're not the same as carrying a drink belt.

A mate attempted sub 3 very recently, doesn't stomach gels too well so decided to go with the organisers energy drink which he wisely started to use on his training runs. However, on the day, the energy drinks were in cups not bottles, seemed to be diluted, and the small cups were generally only half full. He needed to take on minimum 2 litres energy drink which equated to over 30 small cups including spillages. He would take 3 cups at the stations but would find them down the road that not all were energy drink. He never managed to get enough carbs on board and crashed and burned. Sound advice from Krusty....i think you really must be in control of your nutrition and have the carbs on your person....your leaving a lot to chance otherwise. Fair enough if using a strategy which worked before but still have a think about a plan B i.e carry one extra gel in case you drop one

Advertisement