Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    I just wanted to echo my thanks to the pacers....I started about 40/50 metres behind the 3:45 lads with the intention of keeping them in sight, they got about 150 metres ahead of me but was up behind them when the balloon escaped in Inchicore...Kept close until the wheels fell off my first Marathon attempt at the 16 mile mark and watched them disappear into the distance as I had to stop and stretch out one cramp after the other....I knew my intended time had gone and it was then all about trying to puke (not literally) my way home over the next 10 miles....Was so wrecked both physically and mentally from the battle that I didn't even notice the 4 hour guys go passed (must have happened around Roebuck Rd)...So, the moral of the story, when you're an oul fella like me forget the McMillan calculation based on your half time and run with the 4 hour pacers....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

3 stars (average)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I just wanted to echo my thanks to the pacers....I started about 40/50 metres behind the 3:45 lads with the intention of keeping them in sight, they got about 150 metres ahead of me but was up behind them when the balloon escaped in Inchicore...Kept close until the wheels fell off my first Marathon attempt at the 16 mile mark and watched them disappear into the distance as I had to stop and stretch out one cramp after the other....I knew my intended time had gone and it was then all about trying to puke (not literally) my way home over the next 10 miles....Was so wrecked both physically and mentally from the battle that I didn't even notice the 4 hour guys go passed (must have happened around Roebuck Rd)...So, the moral of the story, when you're an oul fella like me forget the McMillan calculation based on your half time and run with the 4 hour pacers....:)

I'm certainly no expert but I think it's fair to say that it's hard to apply McMillan marathon predictions to first time marathoner's times. A better form of prediction which I used, is to multiply your recent half time by 2 and add 10%. Maybe when you've run a few more marathons McMillan can be applied but for a first one I thought it was way off what I could've achieved. That's my two cents anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    I didn't actually find myself paying much attention to the multiple different pace bands on the way round, I guess just the knowing where the pacers were behind me took that concern away. I do remember trying to look at it once though, but couldn't actualy make out any of the numbers so gave up.

5114485642_05183a0a85.jpg

Did anyone make use of pace bands on the way round, or are they just an unneeded distraction with pacers around to look after us?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

4 stars (good)
    Burgman wrote: »
    Some nerd stats. Without naming names, I know of some people who blew up completely and slowed down drastically (although injury is a possibility too). I did a calculation to rate them. On the TDS live website, take the "delta" for the last 12.2 km and divide by the RealTime at 30km.

Based on distance (12.2/30) the percentage is 40.65%, so if you ran absolutely even pace, your percentage would be 40.65%.

If you look at Bazman, his percentage is 41.85% - beautifully paced.

So, two examples I know:

Male - 68.6%
    Female - 103.4%

Anyone beat them (i.e. worse)? Or beat Bazman (i.e. better)?

40.43% - howzat?
    10k 1:00:12
    Halfway 2:08:07
    30k 3:02:39
    Finish 4:16:30

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    Did anyone make use of pace bands on the way round, or are they just an unneeded distraction with pacers around to look after us?

I wore one with a plan "B" time in case I couldn't hold on to the pacers.
    Delighted I didn't have to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    I didn't actually find myself paying much attention to the multiple different pace bands on the way round, I guess just the knowing where the pacers were behind me took that concern away. I do remember trying to look at it once though, but couldn't actualy make out any of the numbers so gave up.

No, I didn't use mine once :D Ah no, when the pacer took off at the start, I found it great for the first half and didn't stress about what he was going to do. It was hard to see the writing alright, one size font larger would be perfect. Once I caught the pacer, think I used it once maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

2 stars (poor)
    I meant to click on good in vote but selected average by mistake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

4 stars (good)
    troy wrote: »
    Well done, very similar story to me. Just realised I did a negative split too. :D. 1:54:00/1:49:53.

Just on another note. I usually run/train with earphones but I followed advice on here and ran most of the way without them. It definitely helped me to take in all the atmosphere and time passed very quickly. I did pop them in from miles 19 to 24 when I felt like I needed to settle into a pattern and grind the miles. I did make sure that I had the volume at a level where I could hear what was going on around me. But I would advise anyone else to run without them as much as they can.

Found the TDS timing site (http://tinyurl.com/tds-dub-mar) and realised that the split times on the dublinmarathon.ie site are the gun times. So my actual half marathon real time was 01:51:59, which means my second half was 01:51:54. Still claiming a negative split though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    Aquals wrote: »
    Big congratulations to everyone who ran on Monday! I was out supporting with a big bowl of wine gums on Foster's Avenue so hope I helped some of you on your way!

Funniest moment was the man who came over to us and blessed himself before taking a sweet from the bowl!!
    I was one of the runners who took one of your wine gums on Fosters Avenue! I didn't have the time or the wherewithal to bless myself first. Thank you SO MUCH. It was my 4th marathon ( Dublin 2008, Chicago 2009 and Boston 2010) and I was blown away by the support the people of Dublin showed us. My most enjoyable marathon, thanks in no small way to the likes of you who helped us on our way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

4 stars (good)
    Found the TDS timing site (http://tinyurl.com/tds-dub-mar) and realised that the split times on the dublinmarathon.ie site are the gun times. So my actual half marathon real time was 01:51:59, which means my second half was 01:51:54. Still claiming a negative split though!!

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already but the halfway mat was about 100m past the actual halfway mark, not sure why. Same thing happened in Cork this year. You'd want to be taking about 30 secs off your online time for the first half to get your actual time.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I'm sure it's been mentioned here already but the halfway mat was about 100m past the actual halfway mark, not sure why. Same thing happened in Cork this year. You'd want to be taking about 30 secs off your online time for the first half to get your actual time.

I noticed that during the race and was wondering if the timing mat was actually in the correct place and that the arch was back down the road for convenience sake (outside superquinn)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Just from the TDS site i realise i had a 5 second Negative split :D
    1:46:28 out and 1:46:23 back. Delighted with that!

Brian you must be negative by a good few minutes?

I also see that Bernard Dunne was out in 2:05 and back in under 1:40, now thats impressive negative splitting!

4 stars (good)
    I noticed that during the race and was wondering if the timing mat was actually in the correct place and that the arch was back down the road for convenience sake (outside superquinn)?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the timing mat was in the right place and the arch was wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    9 minutes positive split for me. Not bad considering I was crippled for parts of the second half, and ran backwards twice.

Edit. My average pace of each 'split' is consistent enough, all things considered 5:31/5:30/5:34/5:48

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Just from the TDS site i realise i had a 5 second Negative split :D
    1:46:28 out and 1:46:23 back. Delighted with that!

I also see that Bernard Dunne was out in 2:05 and back in under 1:40, now thats impressive negative splitting!

I think he mentioned in the paper that he was running with a mate who had to drop out at mile 12 or something and then he went for it...

4 stars (good)

4 mins yeah, could have left a PB behind me, ah well.

You may be right there, if the chip time splits online are from the gun time that would be the case alright. My garmin halfway point is exactly outside Superquinn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Bernard Dunne started besides us Meno and i think you said that he had a weak chin but whispered it very softly:D.

Timing mat was right and the arch was placed where they could tie it down off the poles/traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    1min 5 seconds -ive split for me which is great. I actually thought I was under 1.30 acording to my pace band/watch at half way:confused:. Crap at maths when running.

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Bernard Dunne started besides us Meno and i think you said that he had a weak chin but whispered it very softly:D.

Timing mat was right and the arch was placed where they could tie it down off the poles/traffic lights.

Yeah judging by his second half he was certainly more than capable of 3:30. I'd say he is suited to running alright, his build is more suited to marathon running than boxing, sure he's only a wee lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Yeah judging by his second half he was certainly more than capable of 3:30. I'd say he is suited to running alright, his build is more suited to marathon running than boxing, sure he's only a wee lad.

You should recruit him for Boards, now that would be a good days work.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Lads somethings not adding up here, does anyone 1) know for sure that the real halfway mark was the mat?

and 2) are the tds split times from the gun or chip timed? i'm starting to think that all splits but the finish chip time were from the gun.

Not that i care all that much tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    I meant to click on good in vote but selected average by mistake :o

Fixed that now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    My average pace of each 'split' is consistent enough, all things considered 5:31/5:30/5:34/5:48

They calculated me as having 4:14 pace exactly for each of the splits based on chip times, can't get more consistent than that.

My Garmin GPS guessed miles splits and the splits taken manually at the mile markers suggest otherwise though as far as pace goes. Garmin claiming miles of between 6:24 and 7:08, and my stop watch having times between 6:18 and 7:18.

3 stars (average)
    Lads somethings not adding up here, does anyone 1) know for sure that the real halfway mark was the mat?

and 2) are the tds split times from the gun or chip timed? i'm starting to think that all splits but the finish chip time were from the gun.

The TDS site has two sets of times for each split point, both gun and chip. The DublinMarathon.ie page only has one set of split times, plus both finish times.

I'd trust the mat for halfway more than the inflatable, but that wasn't a mile point so I never took a time at the arch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

4 stars (good)

I found the paceband quite useful and I found it good to compare my times at each mile (as I started a good bit behind the 3:45 pacers). I was pretty much spot on or a few seconds early at each mile (with the exception at 2mi, due to practically coming to a standstill at the end of Dawson St :( ) until approx 14mi when my pace reduced a bit on the long stretches and hills.

Was pretty funny though, I foolishly fixed it skin-tight onto my wrist and couldnt read anything after 16mi as I couldn't rotate it or even rotate my wrist far enough to read the figures :D Id say some of the people who saw me attempting to read off it after that stage must have had a good laugh at my efforts! Oh well, Ill know better next time! :)

4 stars (good)

When you click on a line on the TDS site you get column for Time (Gun Time) and a column for Real Time (Chip Time).

4 stars (good)
    Omg i passed 500 people in the last 12km, what was i on the first 3/4 of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done all that took part , its no easy task regardless of how you completed it , my interest in the marathon threads is worrying , got a get a half over me first , have never done over 10km :o.Lookin forward to more reports .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 stars (average)
    If you subtract the same discrepancy from each point (10k, Halfway, 30k) that your time is different from at the finish it will give your real time.

Gun Chip

e.g 10k 1:00:00
    Half 2:00:00
    30k 3:00:00
    Finish 4:00:00 3:58:30

Discrepancy here is 1min 30secs. If you subtract that from the guntime at each of the other points you get your real time. (Or you could always just check the tds site :))

In this case:

Gun Chip

10k 1:00:00 58:30
    Half 2:00:00 1:58:30
    30k 3:00:00 2:58:30
    Finish 4:00:00 3:58:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

4 stars (good)
    Judging by the halfway chip times, my split was 1:37:30, which is exactly 3:15 pace. Looking at the video, I'm about two seconds behind the pacers, and did the second half in an 8 second positive split. This surprises me as (a) I was pretty sure the pace group were a good few seconds up on the pace at that stage, rather than at dead-on pace, and (b) my second half felt more than 8 seconds slower than the first!

Advertisement