Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

cormie wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm my question in post 482 regarding Lyca and roaming obligations with this package if they know pleeease :)

They probably are bound by the EU regulations, but it would be cheaper to buy their Roaming Data, rather than paying 5c (+Vat) per 1MB.

You might get more info here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So here's my experience since I topped up and transfered my number last Friday morning....
    Knew my old number wouldn't be transferred over the weekend so that was acceptable.

Monday evening,still not transfered so rang them up.
    4 times i had to call because each time i got through,there was just silence on the order end.
    Eventually got through and i was told there was a bill pay/prepay mismatch and my old phone company needs to sort it.

Got onto Meteor and they said all sorted now.
    So guess what??
    Here we are almost a week later and i still don't have my old number.
    After missing several important calls over this mess.

My advice.. Stay away from this morons!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am not taking sides, but since the problem was with Meteor at first, isn't there a chance that it continues to be? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have been in touch with their support via direct messages on Twitter (@lycamobile) and I am quite happy with the response time and resolution.

blade1 wrote: »
    So here's my experience since I topped up and transfered my number last Friday morning....
    Knew my old number wouldn't be transferred over the weekend so that was acceptable.

Monday evening,still not transfered so rang them up.
    4 times i had to call because each time i got through,there was just silence on the order end.
    Eventually got through and i was told there was a bill pay/prepay mismatch and my old phone company needs to sort it.

Got onto Meteor and they said all sorted now.
    So guess what??
    Here we are almost a week later and i still don't have my old number.
    After missing several important calls over this mess.

My advice.. Stay away from this morons!!!!!

Is there an app for iPhones that I can use for tethering? Searched for FoxFi but it's not available in the app store.

Never tried it, but it has been recommended to me. http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php (requires jailbreaking)

Zynks wrote: »
    I am not taking sides, but since the problem was with Meteor at first, isn't there a chance that it continues to be? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have been in touch with their support via direct messages on Twitter (@lycamobile) and I am quite happy with the response time and resolution.

Lyca told me on Monday that it was allsorted snd i would definitely have my old number within 24hours.
    When I rang them Tuesday,had to go through the same ringing several times only to be met with silence each time until i got throug and it still wasn't fixed even though they told me it was.
    So that was a lie.
    Rang Meteor snd they said everything is ok on their end.

blade1 wrote: »
    Lyca told me on Monday that it was allsorted snd i would definitely have my old number within 24hours.
    When I rang them Tuesday,had to go through the same ringing several times only to be met with silence each time until i got throug and it still wasn't fixed even though they told me it was.
    So that was a lie.
    Rang Meteor snd they said everything is ok on their end.

Have you tried doing it on their site?
    I had a bit of hassle last week, but once I realised the problem I've done three now and all three were done in minutes.

https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&affiliatedcode=0

Have your old provider Sim number ready
    Your new Lyca Sim number ready
    Your new Lyca phone number

Input the time you want the transfer to happen and it's done.

OK, it actually sounds like an issue with Lyca. I get the impression that their support is far more efficient when writing to them, and it saves a lot of hassle waiting on the phone - I could be wrong again though!

Allyall wrote: »
    Have you tried doing it on their site?
    I had a bit of hassle last week, but once I realised the problem I've done three now and all three were done in minutes.

https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&affiliatedcode=0

Have your old provider Sim number ready
    Your new Lyca Sim number ready
    Your new Lyca phone number

Input the time you want the transfer to happen and it's done.

Trying this now and website not working for me at the moment!
    Is anyone else having problems with website?
    This really is the worst experience i've had with any phone company!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

• Advertisement

It's up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

adm wrote: »
    Well thanks to this thread I signed up to Lyca.

Signed up for a plan 3 weeks ago but my sim never arrived.
    I've been on to them on facebook several times but got nowhere.

Their complaints email address on the website bounces back with an error.

All in all they seem amateurish and I am very close to completely cancelling.

Well I finally gave up. nearly a month waiting for a sim an none arrived. And Hector on Facebook was unable to determine why. So I asked Hector to cancel completely. Shame, it seems a good deal but my experience was not good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adm wrote: »
    Well I finally gave up. nearly a month waiting for a sim an none arrived. And Hector on Facebook was unable to determine why. So I asked Hector to cancel completely. Shame, it seems a good deal but my experience was not good.

Jeeze, it is so weird, you can't walk down the street without being handed free Lyca sims in Dublin! Loads of shops have them, specially any of those cybercafe/calling type places. My girlfriend was handed 3 for free last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Tried this for a month but won't be sticking around (2g around points of dublin city centre, the inability to call certain numbers of people who were next to me and they would then get a missed call text, data speeds of my EDGE iphone from 2007) One perk was the international calling was as cheap as could be. If I get a dual sim phone I may pop one in with €10 credit for that it should last a while... However gone to Meteor with the 4G 20gb data and unlimited calls for €20 a month for my daily stuff nice to have reliable coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

BazzyB wrote: »
    However gone to Meteor with the 4G 20gb data and unlimited calls for €20 a month for my daily stuff nice to have reliable coverage.
    Cant see this offer on their website, have you got a link to it?
    Edit - sorry, got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

bk wrote: »
    Jeeze, it is so weird, you can't walk down the street without being handed free Lyca sims in Dublin! Loads of shops have them, specially any of those cybercafe/calling type places. My girlfriend was handed 3 for free last week!

Yeah it's super dumb but also my experience of their support -and others on this thread - has really put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I messaged Hector on Facebook a few days ago and no reply so I've just messaged him again there now and I hope to hear back soon.

Getting fed up of a crap signal, slow internet and my signal dropping constantly.

I'm seriously considering switching to a different provider as this is proving to be a lot of unnecessary hassle.
    I finally had a reply from Hector, and he has had to escalate my issues to the technical department so I hope to hear from him soon.

Needless to say I'm not overly impressed with this service at all and am seriously considering switching over even if they get this sorted for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have no problems with the service.

To be honest lads...
    As much as Tesco has fücked everyone over, their bundle was perfect for me, and probably a lot of people too.
    And any credit you had left at the end of the month you could then keep using until it was gone.

I had to switch from them as i was going to France.
    They cut my friend off over there and he wasn't even using his phone much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I was with Tesco for years and I was extremely happy with them. But unfortunately they seem to have been self destructing over the past 6 months.

I know Lyca isn't perfect either, they definitely have areas they need to improve on, but as long as you can get past issues with porting, they seem to be just as reliable as the Tesco Mobile of old.

In the end, you aren't signing up for a contract, you can leave any time.

However I do have a recommendation on how to sign up:

1) Order a SIM or get one in a store
    2) Put in phone, check coverage is ok at home/work
    3) Now port your number
    4) When port is complete, buy the bundle

The advantage of this approach is that if anything doesn't work out with the port, then you haven't lost any money.

toby2111 wrote: »
    Cant see this offer on their website, have you got a link to it?
    Edit - sorry, got it.

So where's the link? The closest I see is 15GB (not 20) for €20 PAYG. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

• Advertisement

So where's the link? The closest I see is 15GB (not 20) for €20 PAYG. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Yeh, you're right, it's 15gb not 20. Unless it's somewere else on the site?

Deleted - thought you were talking about the OP.

Yeh, you're right, it's 15gb not 20. Unless it's somewere else on the site?

Might just jump on this for 6 months @ €14.50 pm first: https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/id-simonly

HALF PRICE SIM ONLY
    • 5,000 minutes
    • 5,000 texts
    • 20GB data (4G too)
    • 30-day contract
    • Was €29.00
    • NOW ONLY €14.50

Looks good. What are ID like? Decent network /coverage?

They're another MVNO on Three's network so, at a guess, should be the same as Three/VM/Tesco/Lyca and the rest. Some MVNOs are 3G and some are 4G:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ireland_mobile_virtual_network_operators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Looks good. What are ID like? Decent network /coverage?

They are trash.

They are trash.

[Citation needed]

[Citation needed]

All you need to do is read through this thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057468325/78

Non existent customer service, poor coverage, rubbish speeds and incorrect billing/data counters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Might just jump on this for 6 months @ €14.50 pm first: https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/id-simonly

HALF PRICE SIM ONLY
    • 5,000 minutes
    • 5,000 texts
    • 20GB data (4G too)
    • 30-day contract
    • Was €29.00
    • NOW ONLY €14.50

Be very careful with the data....went 2.4gb over limit last month(used 22.4gb)and charged a whopping €48 extra by ID

rco2000 wrote: »
    Be very careful with the data....went 2.4gb over limit last month(used 22.4gb)and charged a whopping €48 extra by ID

2c per MB over your allowance seems the norm though....you went over by 2.4GB! What did you expect?!

Yeah so they're not the best according to Curb's link, but €14.50. Probably worth a punt. I've not HD video on the go plans for the phone anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

2c per MB over your allowance seems the norm though....you went over by 2.4GB! What did you expect?!

Don't need a lecture, just giving some friendly advice.

But didnt expect to be charged double what other SP's like Vodafone charge (1c per mb) and I'm not the first and won't be the last to get caught out.

It's 2016 and 2.4gb is not a lot to go over particularly when you depend on mobile broadband as our fixed broadband is a lightning fast 1.2mp speed and basically useless.

Sorry, rco2000. Didn't mean to give you a hard time. You need to use Android's set data limit feature if you can! Or use Three's all you can eat data for €20 if you're using it as your home broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fakeuser123

Hi, has anyone got tethering to work properly? Ive tried on my android and iphone and it still doesn't work.

I know they can block us from tethering to a pc but it's incredible that they have managed to block tethering to other mobile devices.

I turn on the hotspot (with password) , connect my other phone to it, and the Internet simply won't work on the 2nd device.

Maybe this is why they can offer 5gb for free a month? Lycamobile does the job but I can't even let my friends connect to the Internet in their phones for 5 mins!! 48 months do not blocking tethering this severely, my friends could always connect to the Internet when I was with them.

This is not a deal breaker but quite annoying. Lycamobile are the cheapest for a reason I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hi, has anyone got tethering to work properly? Ive tried on my android and iphone and it still doesn't work.

I know they can block us from tethering to a pc but it's incredible that they have managed to block tethering to other mobile devices.

I turn on the hotspot (with password) , connect my other phone to it, and the Internet simply won't work on the 2nd device.

Maybe this is why they can offer 5gb for free a month? Lycamobile does the job but I can't even let my friends connect to the Internet in their phones for 5 mins!! 48 months do not blocking tethering this severely, my friends could always connect to the Internet when I was with them.

This is not a deal breaker but quite annoying. Lycamobile are the cheapest for a reason I guess.

Try installing pdanet and foxfi. Haven't tried it out on lyca but someone anfew posts back said it works.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

I did not buy a bundle the second month.
    Instead I topped up by €5 and additionally got
    €1 for online top-up
    €2 for porting number
    25 mobile/landline minutes
    free call/texts to other Lyca
    5gb free data

How good is that! ..if you are a light user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

snubbleste wrote: »
    I did not buy a bundle the second month.
    Instead I topped up by 5 and additionally got
    1 for online top-up
    2 for porting number
    25 mobile/landline minutes
    free call/texts to other Lyca
    5gb free data

How good is that! ..if you are a light user

Or if you want to supplement your Vodafone 5gig allowance on your dual sim P9 Plus (which I'm loving)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Quick Question the deal with switching your number to lyca ( 10 euro for 6 months free credit ) would you be intitaled to this even if you were with them a few months i cant see anything online about it.
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/transfer-your-number-to-lycamobile-and-receive-%E2%82%AC10-top-up!

homingbird wrote: »
    Quick Question the deal with switching your number to lyca ( 10 euro for 6 months free credit ) would you be intitaled to this even if you were with them a few months i cant see anything online about it.
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/transfer-your-number-to-lycamobile-and-receive-%E2%82%AC10-top-up!
    No, you would not be intitaled.

It's not like it's €10 credit per month anyway. It's just €2 credit per month for 5...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I am switching back to 48. I can't be arsed with the constant chasing of Lyca/Hector for updates on why my signal is crap to be honest. Shouldn't be this much hassle when I sign up to a company.

Hopefully my 48 SIM arrives soon so I can port back to them.

I am switching back to 48. I can't be arsed with the constant chasing of Lyca/Hector for updates on why my signal is crap to be honest. Shouldn't be this much hassle when I sign up to a company.

Hopefully my 48 SIM arrives soon so I can port back to them.

Using the exact same network on 48 AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Using the exact same network on 48 AFAIK.

Only the radio access network. Everything else is is managed by lyca in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I like how cheap this is but I'm not convinced about staying. My sim in my iPhone loses service for a few seconds, goes to edge and then to 3g a good few times a day. Was the same story when I tried lyca a year ago with a different sim in a nexus.

OH is having the same issue in an android too. But our phones are not going to No Service at the same time so it's something stupid on their network instead of the signal being blocked. When I'm at No Service the OH can use the android just fine, same the other way too.

Happened yesterday on the Pier out in the open with nothing blocking our paths too, happens in the countryside and happens in the city. This is no fun at all even if it is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fakeuser123

Most of leinster had a power outage today. My wifi turned off, and of course lycamobile data services was down. I'm connected to the network, it's say H! on the top right of my phone, meaning I'm connected to the mobile data network too, but I can't connect to the Internet.

In the 2 months I've been with lycamobile, I recall at least 3 data outages, with one being 2 days long back at the start of July.

That being said, you get what you pay for. This is not a reliable network. It is cheap as chips for a reason. Giving everybody 5gb free data every single month is a good way to ensure the data services are always clogged up. I'm switching back to 48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Tethering doesn't work even using FoxFI.

• Advertisement

Giving everybody 5gb free data every single month is a good way to ensure the data services are always clogged up. I'm switching back to 48.

Giving every 5GB a month isn't a problem, giving everyone unlimited data on the three network is causing major issues with congestion.

Also Lyca are using the exactly the same network as 48. I've noticed no difference in reception from when I was with 48 and Tesco Mobile (also on the same network as both).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

with the new tesco offer, I am tempted to move back. I am having small issues on lyca such as texts can send multiple times and the website/topup thing is a pain in comparison.

Some numbers don't receive my texts and calls don't go through. So annoying. Good deal but will move next month I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The Tesco 10gb changes the game, especially if you have home bb also

TheDriver wrote: »
    The Tesco 10gb changes the game, especially if you have home bb also

It makes Tesco more competitive, however their roaming rates are still terrible and their customer support is also still terrible. A step in the right direction for them, but I wouldn't be returning to them until they also sort these two issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement