Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ah for the love of God, you should steer away from every network if thats the case as theres a dodge story with all of them.

Anyways, I managed to go from Cork to Charleville today and was able to play youtube all the way except for 2 small sections when signal dropped to E. In Cork city, i was getting download speeds of 6-7Mb. The only weird thing is that my bookmarks are m.boards.ie etc which work fine on VF and TM but on lyca, it gives a 404 error and I must delete the m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

i've switched over to lycamobile and setup the internet using http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/mobilewebsettings

however the speed seems amazingly bad, although very very rarely i get lucky with reception and it gets good

i was with 48 months and never every had such poor reception. I'm in the HSQ building beside the Eircom building

Any ideas? Did I not setup something correctly or is it really this bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused: What's that got to do with the thread?

It has a lot to do with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, this seems like a great deal and I'm considering advising it to a friend.

The friend is also paying UPC about €55 a month for broadband so I'm suggesting to swtich to maybe vodafone for €40 a month for the same thing too, although I'm paying €35 for the simply broadband package, so it seems prices have gone up in broadband but going down for mobile everywhere?

Would anyone know of a provider who would give a better deal for unlimited mobile usage (similar to lyca) and unlimited broadband usage (similar to simply broadband with vodafone), as a bundle deal or am I better off advising just to go Lyca and VF separately?

I don't know much about Lyca, they have been on Tesco the last 2 years or so, would it be similar in terms of coverage etc? The link about about the money laundering is a little dodgy but as said, it probably goes on elsewhere too. Do lyca allow roaming? As long as they do then I assume it falls under the new EU max limits for calls/data while outside of IRELAND so should be affordable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, this seems like a great deal and I'm considering advising it to a friend.

The friend is also paying UPC about €55 a month for broadband so I'm suggesting to swtich to maybe vodafone for €40 a month for the same thing too, although I'm paying €35 for the simply broadband package, so it seems prices have gone up in broadband but going down for mobile everywhere?

I'd be very slow to recommend a friend move from UPC to Vodafone. UPC/Virgin are by far the best and fastest ISP in Ireland. While Vodafone advertise their service as up to 100Mb/s, it can be as low as 7Mb/s depending on how far you are from the FTTC cab. While with UPC/Virgin you almost always get 240Mb/s.

So first check what speed they would really get from Vodafone to check if it is worth it.

Also if you threaten to leave UPC/Virgin, they will often give you a deal to keep you. There is a thread about it here on this forum. People are getting Broadband + phone for €25 for 6 months and then back up to €50 for the remaining 6 months. This works out cheaper over 12 months then Vodafone, while offering much faster speeds and not having to deal with the hassle of moving. I'd recommend that to your friend rather then moving broadband.
    Would anyone know of a provider who would give a better deal for unlimited mobile usage (similar to lyca) and unlimited broadband usage (similar to simply broadband with vodafone), as a bundle deal or am I better off advising just to go Lyca and VF separately?

There isn't any. You are almost always better off NOT bundling. If you shop around then you can usually get a better deal by going with separate companies.

Lyca + Vodafone Simply Broadband or Sky's current BB deal are the best at the moment.

BTW the same is true for other services like electricity and gas, don't bundle them for the best deals.
    I don't know much about Lyca, they have been on Tesco the last 2 years or so, would it be similar in terms of coverage etc? The link about about the money laundering is a little dodgy but as said, it probably goes on elsewhere too. Do lyca allow roaming? As long as they do then I assume it falls under the new EU max limits for calls/data while outside of IRELAND so should be affordable enough.

Lyca use the same network at Tesco Mobile, the old o2 network (now owned by Three), so coverage should be exactly the same as Tesco.

I wouldn't worry about the money stuff, every single company does this.

Lyca has some of the best roaming out there, in fact significantly better then the EU rules require. THey offer free call and text roaming in 18 countries, including the US!

For data you have to buy a roaming data bundle, but they are competitively priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Quick question-anyone know what Lyca charge to call landlines and mobiles in USA and Australia?Do they offer an international add on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

toby2111 wrote: »
    Quick question-anyone know what Lyca charge to call landlines and mobiles in USA and Australia?Do they offer an international add on?
    Quick answer-it's on the website.

bk wrote: »
    Great advice.

That's brilliant, thanks a lot for all that. I do notice however that from here:https://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/?icmp=homepage-converged-module-bb

VF seem to advertise it as up to 1,000Mbps, not 100? I'm on VF myself and speeds are no issue at all, but I know it depends on distance from the cab.

So I think the best move is to go to Lyca for mobile no questions, and then for BB try UPC loyalty team and see will they drop the price and if not, go with VF (or sky, but probably prefer VF).

Great to hear about the Lyca roaming too :)

Most of the Lyca offers have an expiry of 30/06/16.
    Based on experience, will they withdraw or enhance their offers next month?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

VF seem to advertise it as up to 1,000Mbps, not 100? I'm on VF myself and speeds are no issue at all, but I know it depends on distance from the cab.

Only available to less then 10,000 homes connected to the Siro Fibre To The Home network.

It is really sneaky and underhand IMO for Vodafone to be claiming upto 1000 when so few people can get it.

Most people * can get only "upto" 100Mb/s from Vodafone by them reselling Eir's VDSL2 product. Speed depends on the length of the line to the FTTC cab or exchange. It can be as low as 7Mb/s.

So while you might get great speed from Vodafone, your friend might get terrible speed depending on where they live.

* It is available to about 1.4 million homes at this stage or about 2/3rds of all homes.

They seem to update the expiry date every month, at least that was the case the last two months. Of course you should still double check first.

Thanks again. I just checked mine and got the following:
    5420123887.png

(I also noticed that the odometer went to a max of 100mb, I guess speedtest can see the max from the line so if this was a UPC line I was testing, it would show 240, or if it was the SIRO fibre, it would be 1000?)

More than happy with it, but I can imagine 7mb down with an even worse up would a huge step down from what they have with UPC at the moment, they are also considering moving soon (although only about 1km away) so it could be completely hit and miss in both locations.

Have advised to contact the UPC loyalty team and see what they can do anyway so hopefully that'll be that and then plan B would be to consider moving to VF. If only there was a way to know what the expected connection would be before signing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

They withdraw them from site, but they often keep working. There was last year some promotion on free minutes added to top-up and it kept working for months after expiry. They seem to have rather complicated tariff system but overall in my experience I always ended paying less than anticipated.

September1 wrote: »
    They withdraw them from site, but they often keep working. There was last year some promotion on free minutes added to top-up and it kept working for months after expiry. They seem to have rather complicated tariff system but overall in my experience I always ended paying less than anticipated.
    That one is still valid
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/extra-credit-and-national-minutes-with-every-top-up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just to warn everyone you don't need to top up for the bundle. I set up my lycamobile over the phone with them in May (before this thread). I got a text saying "your bundle will renewal so make sure you have enough credit". I topped up online and noticed I still have all the credit. The bundle renewed from bank account so now I still have credit. They told me to cancel the bundle and next month but the bundle with my credit. As there is no point having 19 credit and paying with bank acc.

More than happy with it, but I can imagine 7mb down with an even worse up would a huge step down from what they have with UPC at the moment, they are also considering moving soon (although only about 1km away) so it could be completely hit and miss in both locations.

If they are serious about moving soon, then I'd advise not doing anything until they move.

If they sign up with Vodafone or if they get a deal from UPC/Virgin, they could end up being stuck on a 12 month contract that they end up having to buy out of.
    Could end up really expensive!!

FYI, turns out doing *137# will give you the details of the bundle you are on, when it is due to expire and how many national minutes, texts * and data you have remaining.

* Obviously these are marked as unlimited if you are on this bundle, but just in case you are on another bundle, for instance the €9 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I'm currently on Sim Only plan €25 per month bill pay with Tesco Mobile. I'm interested in moving to the Lyca Mobile €15 per month plan but I just wanted to confirm is this a Bill pay plan which automatically debits from my Bank account each month without me doing anything OR is it a PRE PAY plan where I have to go doing top ups every single month? Not interested if it is a pre pay where I've hot to top up every single month.

I'd appreciate it is somebody could confirm exactly what is involved in this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭NATLOR

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    I'm currently on Sim Only plan €25 per month bill pay with Tesco Mobile. I'm interested in moving to the Lyca Mobile €15 per month plan but I just wanted to confirm is this a Bill pay plan which automatically debits from my Bank account each month without me doing anything OR is it a PRE PAY plan where I have to go doing top ups every single month? Not interested if it is a pre pay where I've hot to top up every single month.

I'd appreciate it is somebody could confirm exactly what is involved in this plan.

Its pre pay but there is an auto top up option

Thanks again BK. I remember speaking to VF about "what if I moved house" before myself and they said it's simple, that you just get set up in the new place and they can continue the contract at your new address.

Is the €15 lyca deal PAYG or bill pay? Can you set it up like bill pay so you don't need to think about topping up or running out of credit and it just gets DD'd from your account each month? Traditional bill pay would of course be better! It appears on the site to be presented like a traditional bill pay 30 day "plan" but seems from messages here, it's PAYG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its a Pay As You Go Plan. Explained previously in this thread by BK.

Was just asking the exact same thing in my post above when you posted :pac:

It's payg but you don't top up. The bundle is automatically renewed from your bank card every month. When you first sign up you ring and do it over the phone.

I thought it worked like tesco payg where you top up and then they take credit. It doesn't!!!

Wonder why they don't just work it the same way of a traditional bill pay plan? Do you get emailed your bill and call history or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Millem wrote: »
    It's payg but you don't top up. The bundle is automatically renewed from your bank card every month. When you first sign up you ring and do it over the phone.

I thought it worked like tesco payg where you top up and then they take credit. It doesn't!!!

Thanks, And does it work out fine every month where is just takes €15 from your account. What happens with the credit on the phone?

Just cannot have a situation where it doesn't automatically renew each month. Need to have constant access to calls and texts. The credit part worries me a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Millem wrote: »
    It's like 48Months then - monthly direct debit payment?
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Ah for the love of God, you should steer away from every network if thats the case as theres a dodge story with all of them.
    In fairness, I don't think you'd find a 'dodge story' like that about Vodafone or Hutchinson Whampoa (Three) or any of other major players. That is very dodge, reminiscent of a Sopranos plot line.

This plan is pay as you go/ pre pay. However you can pay for it in two different ways, depending on your preference:

1) Directly buy this bundle, with a credit or debit card (maybe other ways, I don't remember now). Which you can also optionally set up to automatically buy the bundle every month with no further input from you needed.

2) You can buy phone credit online or in a store and then opt to "buy" the bundle from the credit.

In other words, you have maximum flexibility to pay for it whichever way you like. You can threat it as pay as you go or more like an automatic monthly bill if you prefer.

The one downside of going for the auto option, is that you might miss out on the opportunity to use special discount codes like the current 10 and 20% off bundle codes. They only apply to normal one off purchases and not auto-renew purchases.

Thanks again BK. I remember speaking to VF about "what if I moved house" before myself and they said it's simple, that you just get set up in the new place and they can continue the contract at your new address.

I wouldn't believe any sales person! They will say anything to make a sale!

Plenty of people over on the broadband forum have had experience of them saying that and then turning around and asking for €200 to change the contract when they move.

I really don't recommend it!

Thanks again BK. Would be getting anything like that in writing or taking note of sales person and exact time of call if changing to VF on that promise :)

In the case where you directly buy the bundle with a card and they take the monthly payments, what happens if you use all your credit, say if you were on a long international call and you went over your credit, would it cut you off or would it keep the call active and just bill you for it in your next top up?

Also, is it possible to get a NANO sim card anywhere in Dublin? I've seen a lot of people giving out Lyca sims around Moore St. and that, can you just pick one of these up to sign up?

• Advertisement

Thanks, And does it work out fine every month where is just takes €15 from your account. What happens with the credit on the phone?

Just cannot have a situation where it doesn't automatically renew each month. Need to have constant access to calls and texts. The credit part worries me a little.

Dobbs you don't buy credit. I made that mistake and ended up with credit and a bundle! You just get a bundle which is paid with by bank card automatically every month. You don't need to do anything.

Advertisement