Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cormie wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds very strange. Are you sure it's not just a freak occurrence with your relative?

Nope, this is what happens once you roam in a different country. They assign you a completely different number, local to that country. Meaning your friends & family back home haven't a clue who is actually calling them becaus a strange number shows up.. A complete mess it is. :mad:

Have requested a refund for mine & my family members plans that we pre-paid. It's just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sounds crazy alright, how does it work if you're using data/what's app etc? Would it affect any of that since What's app is, I believe, assigned to your number?

Sounds crazy alright, how does it work if you're using data/what's app etc? Would it affect any of that since What's app is, I believe, assigned to your number?

Not sure about that. My relative can't send texts either from the uk back to Ireland despite it being included in her bundle. so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Wow, that sounds very strange. Are you sure it's not just a freak occurrence with your relative?

I have exactly same experience, that is how it works in UK and US - however there are some free roaming countries that are not listed in Lycamobile local so perhaps there you would see Irish number. However in both cases you still receive calls and SMS to your Irish number.

102122-300-this-is-madness.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Anyone having issues with texts or phone calls? I had 2 texts sent that appear on my account but never arrived plus i had to restart phone to make and receive calls yesterday even though i had bars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

TheDriver wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with texts or phone calls? I had 2 texts sent that appear on my account but never arrived plus i had to restart phone to make and receive calls yesterday even though i had bars

No issues here at all thankfully with both messaging and calls

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Unable to top up new sim online with debit card,Tried loads of times and even tried another visa card.Bank say its a problem with lycamobile?? But Lycamobile blaming the bank.

Also few questions.
    How much will you get for 5 euro top up without buying a bundle?
    Can you still receive calls and texts with a data only bundle?
    Can you use the same debit card to topup multiple sims?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I know lyca don't allow tethering but can anyone tell me how they enforce it? I'm not looking for a way to get around it. Just to know does tethering not work full stop or does it work but eventually they will contact you and disconnect you if found out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have 3 questions on this.

1. Anyone having any issues texting ID mobile or three? I heard there are issues with that.

2. Can people send MMS messages on this thing?

3. They gonna get 4g anytime soon? I saw Virgin just got it. Even though they are keeping it a bit hush.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I have issues texting Tesco mobile numbers sometimes, both incoming and outgoing. Only some though

FrostyJim wrote: »
    I know lyca don't allow tethering but can anyone tell me how they enforce it? I'm not looking for a way to get around it. Just to know does tethering not work full stop or does it work but eventually they will contact you and disconnect you if found out?

I know with vodafone, there was two APN's, one for tethering and one for regular internet from the phone. If you delete the one for tethering, then when you tether, they other one is used and it wasn't possible for them to tell the difference between the usage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

"You should make sure however, that your device is connected to the local Lycamobile network(Vodafone Portugal) rather than a competitor.
    We will then send you a text message to confirm your automatic service activation.
    Remember to make sure that (1) your device is connected to the local Lycamobile network and (2) that you have received a text message confirming your automatic service activation.
    You will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data."

Hi jonnyblues, three questions if you don't mind:-

1. If you set your mobile network -> network operators to "Choose Automatically" will it not select the Lycamobile network wherever you are including when roaming in other countries?

2. Is there a list of what networks you should connect to when roaming with Lycamobile? (I checked their site but can't find a definitive list) I'm particularly interested in what network(s) I should connect to when in France.

3. What happens if you're roaming and the area you're in isn't served by the local Lycamobile network and your phone automatically connects to another network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Apologies if this has been asked before but can I switch my existing meteor number over to Lyca?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

mossy464 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but can I switch my existing meteor number over to Lyca?

Of course you can unless you're in contract or in arrears with Meteor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I accessed Paypal with my new Lycamobile sim.
    Paypal have suspended my account because I logged in with an android phone near Tower Hamlets, London, UK.
    I wish!

How do I reset my location with Lyca?

I'd be more concerned about my account security and that my login details may have been compromised :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd be more concerned about my account security and that my login details may have been compromised :eek:

I suspect that the account details haven't been compromised.

I suspect Paypal has a security algorithm that looks for unusual activity. THey probably flagged that the IP location suddenly changed from Ireland to the UK and that looked unusual. Banks and Creidt card companies do this all the time. It is why it is a good idea to call your bank and credit card company before you travel abroad and tell them where you are going.

All snubbleste needs to do is contact paypal and tell them it is ok and get them to unlock the account.

Unfortunately it looks like Lycamobile are routing all their Irish traffic out through the UK, so it looks like Irish Lycamobile customers are in the UK. This can have both positive and negative results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

snubbleste wrote: »
    I accessed Paypal with my new Lycamobile sim.
    Paypal have suspended my account because I logged in with an android phone near Tower Hamlets, London, UK.
    I wish!

How do I reset my location with Lyca?

Thats strange,last time i logged into PayPal i got message telling me to change my password because of an unauthorized log in attempt near Tower Hamlets.
    I never use my phone for PayPal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well I know it me who logged in to Paypal at that time.
    All Lycamobile webtraffic appears UK originated - can this be changed?

• Advertisement

So this is even when in Ireland and not just when roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

porting issue with Tesco.

i have tried 3 times to port my Tesco mobile number to Lyca

has anyone gone from a monthly 30 day Tesco contract to lyca successfully ?

what is the format of the Tesco account number?

D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well I know it me who logged in to Paypal at that time.
    All Lycamobile webtraffic appears UK originated - can this be changed?

No way to change this. The traffic is being routed through the UK at a network level. This isn't something you have control of. It is something that Lyca's Network Admins (IT Staff) do for all of their Irish customers.
    So this is even when in Ireland and not just when roaming?

Yes. And it isn't particularly unusual. When UPC (now Virgin) first came to Ireland, for many years they were routing Irish traffic through the Netherlands.

When I'm on my companies VPN network, it looks like I'm in another EU country as that is where our network ops center is.

Nothing to do with roaming really. I assume Lyca Ireland doesn't actually have any staff or offices in Ireland and are instead just piggy backing on their UK operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

Has its advantages as the BBC Iplayer works fine in Dublin on Lycamobile without VPNs or hidemyass etc.

I put in a ticket about texts not sending the odd time to a certain number and in fairness Hector responded straight away and I notice team are working on it already (test text appeared on my phone). Facebook appears to be best place to interact

maurice1 wrote: »
    Has its advantages as the BBC Iplayer works fine in Dublin on Lycamobile without VPNs or hidemyass etc.

Yep, handy! Used it myself yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

porting issue with Tesco.

i have tried 3 times to port my Tesco mobile number to Lyca

has anyone gone from a monthly 30 day Tesco contract to lyca successfully ?

what is the format of the Tesco account number?

D

I'm heartbroken trying to port over,I'm with Tescomobile and I am having the same issue with the a/c number,I have now tried putting two zeros before the number Tescomobile quoted me and they've given me another type number I can try.Otherwise I'm going to try and get their techie people to investigate the issue at 9.30.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just got my refund from Lycamobile. Support had refused it, but I contacted my bank and got the charges refunded, as they weren't able to provide the service. Just in case any of you have similar difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do Lyca have 4G ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

yabadabado wrote: »
    Do Lyca have 4G ?

No.

Advertisement