Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycamobile Data Roaming

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Lycamobile offer "no roaming Charges" in 17 countries, they also offer add ons for data roaming . I tried the add on in Spain, but I was unable to get mobile data , has anyone else had success with this add on? I was also charged for roaming calls even though I had minutes.
    PJQ
    PS I called and emailed customer service and followed their instructions and visited a Lyca shop in Madrid, all without success
    PPS I have seen advice on this site to use Movistar network in Spain, Lyca said that Orange or Vodafone can also be used in Spain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

I was in France and Belgium in October , Phone and Data worked fine .
    But Switzerland was a different story.
    I could not get the phone to work on arrival, and I was relying on it to arrange my pick-up. Following an e-mail to Lyca , I got the phone working the next day , you have to go to the Lyca icon , fool around with Manual Settings, switch off the phone and then mess around with Mobile Networks , so that you can choose Swisscom . Note; Lyca.ch uses Sunrise!
    The Data never worked in Switzerland, just like in Spain, despite plenty fooling around in Access Point Names.
    Is this a common issue for Lyca? Is it my Samsung S5 mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

my wifes vodafone, will not work in spain, despite calling into a vodafone shop twice

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

Like you PJ I was in spain last week and I bought the 250mb for €5 data addon.
    I was on Movistar and i couldn't get it to work.
    Calls and texts were perfect and calls to Ireland came out of my existing minutes

Spoke to CS 4 times and no joy with data.
    I was also using a 3UK mifi on movistar and it worked sporadically.

Maybe it is Movistar rather than Lycamobile.

I was impressed that local spanish numbers were only 1c/min.

I previously used Lyca data addon in UK and was fine.

Would be interesting if we could do a list of which 17 free eu countries work for data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Anyone get data working in spain?
    I bought the data roaming add on and it's showing 3g signal but I can't connect to the Internet. Very annoying.

Yea Loopy,
    It is annoying.
    The data add on will work when you get back Ireland, on top of your existing data.
    Let us know if you get it going
    Enjoy your hols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

What's the story with Lycamobile Data Roaming? Is it working now?

I arrived France this am and had to mess around with settings , same as for Switzerland. I cant be bothered to pay for data and spend the weekend messing with settings and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

If I buy a PAYG Lycamobile sim then top up to get 5GB of data, can I use that data in Holland and Portugal without extra charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    If I buy a PAYG Lycamobile sim then top up to get 5GB of data, can I use that data in Holland and Portugal without extra charges?

No.

You need a data bundle: http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

We were in Spain last week and the data roaming worked a treat. Was prompted to accept new internet settings (Xperia Z2 on 5.1) which I did. However the internet settings seemed identical to the 'home' settings. Data worked instantly. Speeds seemed decent enough.

GF also had no issues using data on her iphone 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Can I just ask! You LYCA experienced guys..a quick one.?! I ordered sim last week for 15e a month deal. It arrived today. I presumed that I would be keeping my number. This seems not to be the case. When I applied online the site requested my mobile number ..which I gave...I may have presumed incorrectly it appears that LYCA would automatically port my number to the LYCA network.
    I have my new sim up and running data and all ..seems ok ..so far ...I need my number ( old one now!) I need my old number as my current number for work and family matters ..ringing LYCA help is unsatisfactory as they just seem to transfer my call then drop it...any advice appreciated ...I like to stay on network if at all possible . Thks paddy

Can I just ask! You LYCA experienced guys..a quick one.?! I ordered sim last week for 15e a month deal. It arrived today. I presumed that I would be keeping my number. This seems not to be the case. When I applied online the site requested my mobile number ..which I gave...I may have presumed incorrectly it appears that LYCA would automatically port my number to the LYCA network.
    I have my new sim up and running data and all ..seems ok ..so far ...I need my number ( old one now!) I need my old number as my current number for work and family matters ..ringing LYCA help is unsatisfactory as they just seem to transfer my call then drop it...any advice appreciated ...I like to stay on network if at all possible . Thks paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Click the button on this page and fill out the form:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/transfer-your-number-to-lycamobile-and-receive-%E2%82%AC10-top-up!

Once your old network accepts the move it usually happens within a few minutes.

thks. They tell me I lose my present 15E deal if I switch number now...I have to start all over again after this month expires ....will apply to port before then ...from reading lyca on line ..im not sure if that 15 e Ireland deal I am now on (with new number) applied with new numbers ported I'm sure it does , website bit confusing though....I see they offer 10 e a month discount or something encouraging porting .....

Don't think it's 10/month.
    It used to be 2/month for 5 months = 10 for number porting.

Roaming Over in uk with lyca.
    Keep getting sim card does not allow connection to the network.

Tried o2 3 voda and ee and auto.
    Can't receive calls or texts
    was here in April, everything worked well
    Same phone S5 same sim
    Tried sim in xperia, same problem.
    What could have changed?

Waiting for Cs for over 20 mins on a borrowed phone

Spoke with Lycamobile Ireland Customer support from the UK 4 times trying to get it working, tried sim in Sony & Samsung phones and tonnes of settings

Each time I was told that Technical support would call me within 24 hours. - Never happened.
    Now I am back in Dublin I spoke with Customer Support with my ticket number and I was told that technical support don't make phone calls to customers ever and the 4 previous CS operators were misinformed.

Points to note while roaming, If you cant get on the O2 UK network
    1. You can only get your voicemail from abroad by dialing +353899500121 and it will only work from your own phone. So U cant get voicemail
    2. Call forwarding isn't allowed so when your Lycamobile.ie doesn't work you cant forward it to another phone.

According to CS although I called on Monday to get it fixed, they didn't bother resetting my account until Friday, Still didn't work when leaving to come home.

I made the mistake of buying the data add on for the UK before I left Dublin. In future I would buy it at my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

maurice1 wrote: »
    Spoke with Lycamobile Ireland Customer support from the UK 4 times trying to get it working, tried sim in Sony & Samsung phones and tonnes of settings

Each time I was told that Technical support would call me within 24 hours. - Never happened.
    Now I am back in Dublin I spoke with Customer Support with my ticket number and I was told that technical support don't make phone calls to customers ever and the 4 previous CS operators were misinformed.

Points to note while roaming, If you cant get on the O2 UK network
    1. You can only get your voicemail from abroad by dialing +353899500121 and it will only work from your own phone. So U cant get voicemail
    2. Call forwarding isn't allowed so when your Lycamobile.ie doesn't work you cant forward it to another phone.

According to CS although I called on Monday to get it fixed, they didn't bother resetting my account until Friday, Still didn't work when leaving to come home.

I made the mistake of buying the data add on for the UK before I left Dublin. In future I would buy it at my destination.

Am going up north for a week and a was about to order the Data L bundle (30 GB for the tablet) down here before leaving. Going by your post I probably would be better getting the sim now and ordering the Data L bundle when I get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm in Portugal at the minute. Was going to buy a data bundle for when I'm here, but it's 55 for 1gb!

Would I be better off (is it doable?) to buy a Portuguese Lycamobile sim and buy a national bundle instead? You get about 10 times for the same price.

Any help is much appreciated. Got a dual sim phone.

I would never pay Lyca €55 for data as it might not work, at a minimum you'll struggle with the settings. Go to Lycamobile.pt now and order the free card, you will have it in the post tomorrow and can then decide. Looks like €15 for 1GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

I wouldn't bother buying the data bundle either, twice I bought it and twice it never worked and they are zero help, they say they will but they fix it but never do.

If you are buying a portugeuse lyca sim, buy a top up in a shop as they have all sorts of things recurring and automatically coming off your card. I had experience of it here where it was in English and it is not clear at all. Even when I cancelled online they were still texting me that it was going to re-occur automatically and to change it online which I did and it seems that switched it back on.

Last time I was in Spain, I just bought a Vodafone sim and stuck it in a spare phone for the data. Even the guy in the small little phone shops advised me to keep away from lycamobile as you need to opt in and other stuff before topping up.

I had problems roaming in the UK and I tried this suggestion from another site:

Getting the phone to register on the local network when you turn up at your destination can be fiddly. I've found I get the best success each time by going to the Toggle SIM menu, changing the mode from Auto to Manual, and then Back to Auto. I then restart the phone TWICE. This seems to set the SIM up properly to find the right network. Once it's locked on the first time, you shouldn't have any more trouble on that trip.

The sim app is called lycamobile services and is automatically installed when you put in your sim card.
    I also found that manually selecting network eg. first VodafoneUK and the lycamobile made it work.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Does anyone know what data addon I need for the US? Can't seem to find anything on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    Does anyone know what data addon I need for the US? Can't seem to find anything on the site.
    To answer my own question in case anyone else comes across it! Currently Lyca mobile have no data plan for the US despite having a presence there.

Data Roaming Switzerland,
    Last year I had no success with data and phone was difficult to set up.
    Last week I used the Lyca/SIM widget to choose "MANUAL mode" and then "Swisscom roaming" and phone worked!
    Then in the Settings , I went to Mobile Networks and entered "New APN" data.lycamobile.ie + I gave the APN a name, ( you can ignore all other fields) , My 50mb for €1.99 lasted for the required 4 days.
    Lyca isn't straightforward , but for €1.99 , it's hard to complain too much.
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there a particular network to select when roaming in the UK?

In the UK lycamobile should come up as an option.

Back in Spain can connect tO lycamobile for calls texts but my data won't work.
    Tried pjq suggestion above. Tried an settings from lyca website. Any other ideas. Data worked in uk last week

Finally got GSM data in Spain

what worked for me on android was to play around with
    1. Manually using Lycamobile widget switching between Auto / Manual ended up setting to Auto
    2. I thought I was connected as I had 5 bars on screen but I couldn't make a phonecall. So I Manually changed Network setting between Vodafone, and Lyca then to auto.
    3. Once *137# worked and showed me my balance I went onto the APN settings under "More Networks"

Name : Lyca
    APN : data.lycamobile.ie
    Proxy: Disable
    Port : Not set
    Username : lmie
    Password : plus
    Server : Not set
    MMSC : Not set
    MMS proxy : Not set
    MMS port : Not set
    MCC 214
    MNC 25
    Authentication type : PAP
    APN type : default
    APN protocol : IPv4
    APN roaming protocol : IPv4
    Enable/disable APN : APN enabled
    Bearer : Unspecified
    Mobile virtual network operator type : None

Source: http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/web-settings/en

With the above settings I was able to get 16.75Mbps down & 4.56Mbps up in Salamanca

Hope this gives hope to someone!!!

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is there a particular network to select when roaming in the UK?
    Lycamobile comes up when you search for networks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

maurice1 wrote: »
    Finally got GSM data in Spain

what worked for me on android was to play around with
    1. Manually using Lycamobile widget switching between Auto / Manual ended up setting to Auto
    2. I thought I was connected as I had 5 bars on screen but I couldn't make a phonecall. So I Manually changed Network setting between Vodafone, and Lyca then to auto.
    3. Once *137# worked and showed me my balance I went onto the APN settings under "More Networks"

Name : Lyca
    APN : data.lycamobile.ie
    Proxy: Disable
    Port : Not set
    Username : lmie
    Password : plus
    Server : Not set
    MMSC : Not set
    MMS proxy : Not set
    MMS port : Not set
    MCC 214
    MNC 25
    Authentication type : PAP
    APN type : default
    APN protocol : IPv4
    APN roaming protocol : IPv4
    Enable/disable APN : APN enabled
    Bearer : Unspecified
    Mobile virtual network operator type : None

Source: http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/web-settings/en

With the above settings I was able to get 16.75Mbps down & 4.56Mbps up in Salamanca

Hope this gives hope to someone!!!

going to Spain in a couple of weeks - will keep this in the back pocket

Advertisement