Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

To be fair, you are the one making hyperbolic statements not based in fact.

Im basing it on what the Deputy CMO said .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He's just advocating uptake of vaccine to achieve herd immunity. I don't understand how this means nothing will ever change.

Some people just create a negative angle on everything that is said in all news reports.

Bizarre.

"Reading in between the lines?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Biden will hopefully give Ireland a million vaccines at the start of May, or at least that's what he should do.

You'd hope so, but I doubt it, the yanks will be looking west, at the Pacific rim, and trying to compete with China. Almost nothing in a geo political sense to be gained for them from throwing Ireland a million vaccines.

Biden will hopefully give Ireland a million vaccines at the start of May, or at least that's what he should do.

Why give a million to Ireland? Because we are good craic?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Some people just create a negative angle on everything that is said in all news reports.

Bizarre.

Other people take something negative NPHET say . Try make is sound like they mean to say something else without any facts to back it up. Then tell people who are actually taking what NPHET say word word as factually incorrect.

Bizarre

You are basing it on a misinterpretation of what the CMO said.

No vaccine ever created is 100% effective

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Straight from the horses mouth here when asked about guidelines for people who have been vaccinated

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1372630741939585030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1372630741939585030%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2F2021%2F0318%2F1204811-key-points-from-covid-briefing%2F

'It will be conservative as vaccines aren't 100% protective on an individual level'

Such bullsh!t . If thats the case nothing ever changes . There will be no normality ever again

Can someone please advise NPHET as I fear the way they are handling Covid they have missed some important information.

Please tell them.

Contraction of covid does not equal instant death ...

This country is handling the whole thing like it’s the Black Death or something similar.

It’s an over cautious over reaction. Yeah harmful to some but not to all. Stay at home for 14 days being the amazing treatment for most who contract it.

Dangerous to elderly and vulnerable groups. We know this for almost a year but instead of trying to protect these categories we go for the option of rolling never ending half baked lockdown.

Revisit the approach long overdue but we just keep ambling along with the same thing over and over that hasn’t worked.

Unbelievable really

You are basing it on a misinterpretation of what the CMO said.

No vaccine ever created is 100% effective

I never said it was .

Can someone please advise NPHET as I fear the way they are handling Covid they have missed some important information.

Please tell them.

Contraction of covid does not equal instant death ...

This country is handling the whole thing like it’s the Black Death or something similar.

It’s an over cautious over reaction. Yeah harmful to some but not to all. Stay at home for 14 days being the amazing treatment for most who contract it.

Dangerous to elderly and vulnerable groups. We know this for almost a year but instead of trying to protect these categories we go for the option of rolling never ending half baked lockdown.

Revisit the approach long overdue but we just keep ambling along with the same thing over and over that hasn’t worked.

Unbelievable really

Take this vaccine which could have severe side affects , for protection against a disease you dont really need . Also when you have taken it because it isnt 100% effective it will have no real social benefit to you.

Dangerous from the Deputy CMO last night . Really giving ammo to the anti vaxx crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Why should he do that. Why should Ireland jump the queue?....

Ágh sure because he is Irish, what's the harm. This post is a good insight into how politically immature we are.

Biden shouldn't be expected to do anything. He represents people with heritage from every county across the globe. Some with worse off programmes than we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

If Biden has the impact of unscrewing the locks on US supply chains and improving international cooperation efforts and getting pragmatism back to US-European relationships, a lot can be done much more effectively on a global scale.

There’s really no reason why Europe shouldn’t have copious volumes of European produced vaccines available by Q2.

The likely scenario here is that the supply constraints will disappear over the next couple of months and the issue will be more about arguments around vaccine scepticism.

I think Europe’s Achilles heal this year is likely to be a problem with uptake in certain countries, notably France but even in Germany and elsewhere.

We are relatively speaking very pragmatic about this and there isn’t a huge anti vax thing.

If we’re not getting up to 70%+ uptake, we’ll have issues with travel and evolving strains for a long time to come.

I never said it was .

Well, thats basically what the CMO said. Individuals should still be careful until a significant number of vaccines are rolled out, as a proportion of those vaccinated will still be vulnerable when there is a large amount of virus in circulation

The vaccine is effective but you need to get to a fairly high % of population coverage before you get herd immunity kicking in.

That’s always been known. It’s nothing new or unusual and until we get there that’s going to mean still dealing with the need to contain spread.

If you get say 30% uptake and then throw caution to the wind there are significantly big risks.

Obviously you can relax things but it’s going to have to be gently and step by step.

Also we are not at the same level of vaccine rollout as the U.K. or the USA. We are moving but we are going to be lagging up to 8 weeks or so behind. So comparing situations will become less and less useful.

That gap will likely close as the weeks go on but it’s there. So there’s little point in demanding that we do the same as what’s going on in places that are currently in a different situation.

We need to be comparing with similarly sized and similarly population density places in the EU / EEA with the same rollout.

We also now have an advantage in the U.K. being ahead though too as their containment policies were initially a total disaster, so at least if they’re vaccinated earlier we should see less risk of spread in from the U.K., which was an enormous issue here last year, including the Xmas spike.

It’s frustrating, but we are where we are with the vaccine supply chains.

Take this vaccine which could have severe side affects , for protection against a disease you dont really need . Also when you have taken it because it isnt 100% effective it will have no real social benefit to you.

Dangerous from the Deputy CMO last night . Really giving ammo to the anti vaxx crowd.

Are you suggesting Ronan Glynn said that it's protection against a disease you don't really need?

Are we "reading between the lines" again?

Well, thats basically what the CMO said. Individuals should still be careful until a significant number of vaccines are rolled out, as a proportion of those vaccinated will still be vulnerable when there is a large amount of virus in circulation

Can you provide a link to him saying the above

Are you suggesting Ronan Glynn said that it's protection against a disease you don't really need?

Are we "reading between the lines" again?

No thats me saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Round and round in circles we go..

The anti vaxxers will find ammo in everything, as they’re quite prepared to make stuff up, find ‘alternative facts’ and reinterpret reality to suit their agenda.

There’s only so much you can do to counter that but, I think it’s a bit pointless having the CMO or anyone else dancing on egg shells to avoid inflaming anti vaxxers.

Keep the transparency high and communicate the facts and the science and keep doing it and counter garbage with fact.

That’s all anyone can do. I think when you try to engage in spin or minimising reality to counter them you can just get caught in a deeper mess. They will twist every word.

Ireland is relatively sane around these topics and we aren’t gone down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories, most of us anyway.

So I think just keep the science flowing and keep laying out all the facts and as much data as can be produced.

No thats me saying it

So are you an anti vaxxer? Why do you think that a subsection of the population don't need the vaccine?

• Advertisement

So are you an anti vaxxer? Why do you think that a subsection of the population don't need the vaccine?

Who said i was an anti vaxxer ?

Who said i was an anti vaxxer ?

You are suggesting there is no case to achieve herd immunity through use of vaccines?

Can you provide a link to him saying the above
    Dr Ronan Glynn said that the advice will be conservative because vaccines are not 100% protective at an individual level and because there are high levels of disease in the community

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0318/1204811-key-points-from-covid-briefing/

If you didn't laugh you'd cry . Such nonsense.

I wonder if there will be a level 6 lockdown soon . We are fighting to avoid a 4th wave 4 months into level 5 restrictions

If you didn't laugh you'd cry . Such nonsense

Good to see you acknowledge your nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you didn't laugh you'd cry . Such nonsense.

I wonder if there will be a level 6 lockdown soon . We are fighting to avoid a 4th wave 4 months into level 5 restrictions

Well I'm sure you will create and claim that reading between the lines NPHET confirmed theres a level 6 lockdown coming.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well I'm sure you will create and claim that reading between the lines NPHET confirmed theres a level 6 lockdown coming.

You are right . We need to do more .

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

In March 2020, if the vulnerable and elderly had the same outcomes to covid as they will have post vaccine would we have ever shut down.

User142 wrote: »
    In March 2020, if the vulnerable and elderly had the same outcomes to covid as they will have post vaccine would we have ever shut down.

Goalposts have shifted since . It's not about protecting the vulnerable anymore (since they have been vaccinated )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

For all the lockdown supporters, a genuine question. What would actually need to happen for your support for the government to bottom out and for you to think we should open up?

Just genuinely curious as to what thought pathways lead you to believe that what we're experiencing and what we have experienced throughout the last 12 months is acceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement