Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

Why? You have jobs while 700000 don’t.
    You should be happy with that surely?

Pay freezes will be necessary as we have a huge debt to service for the restrictions that you support.

Pay cuts may well be needed.

I would be in favour of an increase in income tax rather than a pay freeze. I think that would be a fairer way of paying the bill so to speak. Happy to pay my fair share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

What’s the story with the Brazilian P1 varient? I’m seeing a lot of references to it around social media today.

Are the cases “associated with travel” meaning they’ve been identified and quarantined or what exactly is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes but the papers may not be wrong

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cabinet-divided-on-easing-5km-travel-restriction-1098644.html

If the 5k rule isnt going to be ease on April 5th i cant see much else changing

Yes I've read it in the Independent & not getting into what government sources leak while others leak the opposite, guess which one becomes a headline though.

Point from the original post (before it got derailes)is his comments as expected taken out of context.

Sure you did it yourself by trying to say he said the vaccine doesn't work well which he didn't say with regards to travel. Best to actually use direct quotes.

I would be in favour of an increase in income tax rather than a pay freeze. I think that would be a fairer way of paying the bill so to speak.

Are you serious? Between income tax and other salary deductions, the middle class salaries professional is getting royally screwed

Are you serious? Between income tax and other salary deductions, the middle class salaries professional is getting royally screwed

If I worked in the private sector, i would be on a lot more than I earn in the HSE.
    I'm actually constrained by HSE payscales.

I do enjoy working in the HSE as I am able to help less fortunate people at a low point in their life. I guess job satisfaction was what has kept me in the HSE at the moment.

• Advertisement

No he didn't, said he didn't expect an update to the non essential travel recommendations until June.

He pointed to the high rates in other EU countries currently, and he's probably right. Those with high rates won't be opening up to anyone, EU travel system or not. Countries just won't risk it.

Things really aren’t looking good on the continent at the moment with what’s shaping up to be a possible new wave in France, Germany and a few other places.

I’d be prudent. We could really do without another wave here.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Simon Harris floated the idea there'd be no change to the 5km limit a couple of days ago. This is how it has always been. 2-3 weeks out from the next review the kites start being flown to soften us up for more of the same lockdown.

I can now just imagine Michael Martin at some press conference in 2-weeks, saying that:

"The Irish people are a resilient people and through your collective hard work, we have been successful in suppressing this disease.

We now find ourselves in a position where we can begin to ease restrictions.

Therefore I can announce tonight that we have decided to increase the 5km limit from 5km to 6km.

The effects of this limit will be under review over the next 2-weeks. If we hold firm and pull together, we can continue to suppress this virus and ease restrictions even further from the 19 April.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are the leaks trying reverse psychology ? Tell the plebs they wont lift the 5kms , get them all worried .Then actually lift it and the plebs will be happy with the crumbs they throw us

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Part of me feels sorry for Ronan Glynn . He is front and centre as leader of the country at the moment

Government nowhere to be seen .

Government too busy finalising their expense sheets for all their non essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yes I've read it in the Independent & not getting into what government sources leak while others leak the opposite, guess which one becomes a headline though.

Point from the original post (before it got derailes)is his comments as expected taken out of context.

Sure you did it yourself by trying to say he said the vaccine doesn't work well which he didn't say with regards to travel. Best to actually use direct quotes.

What did he say about vaccines and travel so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I can now just imagine Michael Martin at some press conference in 2-weeks, saying that:

"The Irish people are a resilient people and through your collective hard work, we have been successful in suppressing this disease.

We now find ourselves in a position where we can begin to ease restrictions.

Therefore I can announce tonight that we have decided to increase the 5km limit from 5km to 6km.

The effects of this limit will be under review over the next 2-weeks. If we hold firm and pull together, we can continue to suppress this virus and ease restrictions even further from the 19 April.
    "

I think they will add in something small like can meet another household outdoors within 5km or something very low risk

Arghus wrote: »
    IIf we are talking about the same thing - It was in a document sent to government a couple of weeks outlining that, yes, restrictions in the coming Autumn and Winter are not something that can not be completely ruled out.

But that's just outlining all possible future scenarios to government because we don't actually know how this will all play out over the next few months.

The hope is - from NPHET, from government, from everybody - that widespread vaccination will have the desired effect and that Covid becomes just another respiratory illness that the system learns to cope with every flu season. That's the scenario that everyone wants to see.

NPHET aren't licking their lips at the thought of further restrictions next Autumn and Winter they are just outlining to government that there are unknowns and variables from where we are now and you have to be cognisant of that. That's all they are doing, just raising the issue of known unknowns.

They aren't suggesting that we should shut down for every single respiratory illness. Respiratory illnesses are not new, society doesn't shut down every Winter for them, because we know that society functions normally without causing the health system to collapse.

But Covid was an entirely different kettle of fish: it's far more infectious, far more virulent and if we'd carried on just the same as any other Winter the health system would have collapsed. We had to undertake massive population level measures to control it and even then it cost thousands of lives. That is not what happens in a normal cold/flu season - they aren't arguing for restrictions in normal circumstances.

Arghus they do say that restrictions may be in place for other respiratory illnesses. I don't understand what that has to do with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What did he say about vaccines and travel so ?

Please quote where this was said "Those vaccinated can't travel because the vaccine 'doesn't work on everyone' according to Ronan Glynn. That was your post.

I'll save you the time, it wasn't said. If your going to claim something was said have the quotes to back it up.

Glynn asked about EU travel plans, he was quite clearly pointing to the rising cases in Europe when discussing it. Anyone who thinks a country with rising cases is going to open up to tourists anyway is nuts, they won't, EU travel plan or not.

“Of course we all want to buy into that but Europe has a journey to go on first...” (in light of spike of cases in places like Germany and Italy)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Entire sectors of our economy have been royally screwed for over a year. Other sectors have actually benefited. Ireland's tax system is one of the most progressive in the world. The more you earn the more you pay. Pay cuts would have a disproportionate impact on the lowest earners. Especially those in the already ravaged sectors.
    Surely, we'd need to minimise the impact to their take home pay as much as possible. A tax take distribution that shields the covid ravaged industries would be the fairest imo. Can't see that happening. The government is likely to do something stupid like reduce tax credits for employees and self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

shamco wrote: »
    Why?. That's what's happening in Germany
    Rebooking people takes the time and of course getting required vaccine supplies out. It's easier for Germany with so many unused AZ doses in fridges. I believe they also only use MVCs.

Straight from the horses mouth here when asked about guidelines for people who have been vaccinated

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1372630741939585030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1372630741939585030%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2F2021%2F0318%2F1204811-key-points-from-covid-briefing%2F

'It will be conservative as vaccines aren't 100% protective on an individual level'

Such bullsh!t . If thats the case nothing ever changes . There will be no normality ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Straight from the horses mouth here when asked about guidelines for people who have been vaccinated

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1372630741939585030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1372630741939585030%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2Fcoronavirus%2F2021%2F0318%2F1204811-key-points-from-covid-briefing%2F

'It will be conservative as vaccines aren't 100% protective on an individual level'

Such bullsh!t . If thats the case nothing ever changes . There will be no normality ever again

Always thought Ronan Glynn was a bit more in touch with the public than the rest of them but he must have been fed that crap - in fairness, what is the point of the vaccines at all so?!

He's just advocating uptake of vaccine to achieve herd immunity. I don't understand how this means nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

In fairness I think he's saying we need to be careful until we have more people vaccinated because once we have enough vaccinated herd immunity will kick in. I agree he's being overcautious, but I really don't think he's implying we'll never have normality again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In fairness I think he's saying we need to be careful until we have more people vaccinated because once we have enough vaccinated herd immunity will kick in. I agree he's being overcautious, but I really don't think he's implying we'll never have normality again.

Fair enough, I think I just got a bit frustrated when I saw the quote under the video! When I actually watched the video, I can see what he means.

• Advertisement

You're assuming what he really means . You are trying to read 'between the lines' . I dont think you are in a position to do so.

I'm just reiterating what he said word for word .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Are the leaks trying reverse psychology ? Tell the plebs they wont lift the 5kms , get them all worried .Then actually lift it and the plebs will be happy with the crumbs they throw us

wouldnt be the first time!

talking to someone in california red level restrictions, shops open, bars and restaurants open at 50% capacity (no idea what their numbers are but they do seem to be getting on with life)

You're assuming what he really means . You are trying to read 'between the lines' . I dont think you are in a position to do so.

I'm just reiterating what he said word for word .

To be fair, you are the one making hyperbolic statements not based in fact.

wouldnt be the first time!

talking to someone in california red level restrictions, shops open, bars and restaurants open at 50% capacity (no idea what their numbers are but they do seem to be getting on with life)

March 18, California: 3561 cases and 235 deaths.

California has 8X our population, so similar case numbers roughly 445, but with higher death rates equivalent to about 30.

Biggest difference there is climate is much, much more compatible with with outdoor dining although, from this point on, Ireland isn’t too bad for it either. The weather starts to get a lot nicer, if still very unpredictable.

The US vaccine rollout is also significantly further ahead. That’s going to hold us back here due to supply issues until the EU system gets the volumes stabilised and much higher.

The two places have similar resources, in terms of manufacturing capability and access to vaccines but operation Warp Speed had serious long established federal infrastructure to use to plan. The EU isn’t a federal government and had to invent systems on the fly. So basically US operation Warp Speed vs EU: figuring out how to put all the components for Warp Engines together, will catch up but...

The US also completely restricted vaccine exports, European based biotech manufacturing was supporting programmes in places the US would normally have been supplying too. So there’s also that element of “dumping” to take into account.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the 5km rule isn’t changed to countywide and construction doesn’t open on April 5th, this government deserves nothing more than collapse.

3rd lowest incidence in Europe and we have to enter a 4th month of glorified house arrest. For those people lucky enough to have a house in a country with a severe housing shortage who is paying construction workers to sit at home and gaze at the walls.

The US vaccine rollout is also significantly further ahead. That’s going to hold us back here due to supply issues until the EU system gets the volumes stabilised and much higher.

Biden will hopefully give Ireland a million vaccines at the start of May, or at least that's what he should do.

Biden will hopefully give Ireland a million vaccines at the start of May, or at least that's what he should do.

I’m not sure about that tbh. The EU as a region is pretty much as well resourced for vaccines as the USA is in terms of manufacturing capacity, technology and money. Places like Canada and Mexico were shut out of US linked supply chains and are much further behind than the EU with very limited technical resources to get there. They had been largely relying on purchasing vaccines largely from European supply chains.

If anything, the US supplying its neighbours takes an unfair burden off Europe and should mean things speed up here too.

The initial few months of the rollout saw US supply chain entirely focused on the domestic market at the expense of countries who’d have had an expectation of supplies from US plants. That had a huge knock on impact on Europe as EU plants met that demand.

So if Biden at least deals with what was effectively a Trump era issue, that helps Europe and Ireland enormously. Say 20 million vaccines going from the USA to Canada is 20 million vaccines produced in Europe probably staying in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

582 cases, 0 deaths

Sorry only catching up on the thread. Yeah you can see most age groups stagnating in terms of numbers but some are increasing.

Doesn't look good tbf.

attach.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

What he "should" do is give it to Canada, Mexico and the US's poor central American neighbours.

What he should not do is conduct diplomacy on a whim, that is what the last guy was doing.

• Advertisement

What he "should" do is give it to Canada, Mexico and the US's poor central American neighbours.

What he should not do is conduct diplomacy on a whim, that is what the last guy was doing.

And by so doing he takes a hell of a lot of pressure off European suppliers which immediately benefits the vaccination programme here.

We’re don’t have an integration into the US for this stuff, being part of the EU. Canada, Mexico, much of the Americas absolutely do and were quite coldly cut off by Trump last year.

The whole thing was tipped to supplies into those markets being met by European operations for western vaccines developed by European & US companies basically & the Latin American market has been supplied in part by Asian suppliers too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement