Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it actually part of the drivers job,

If it isint it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If it isint it should be

I wouldn't be surprised if undertaking to do the tank would leave them open to a claim if forgotten and they would be foolish to commit.
    We're in a very litigious society now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If it isint it should be
    In my view milk quality is the responsibility of the farmer .fair enough they should switch off tank but putting it washing is a favour to you and no way should you complain a fella for times it dosent happen or it goes wrong

K.G. wrote: »
    In my view milk quality is the responsibility of the farmer .fair enough they should switch off tank but putting it washing is a favour to you and no way should you complain a fella for times it dosent happen or it goes wrong

What about when they don't switch off the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What about when they don't switch off the tank?

Can there be no automatic switch put on the tank to turn it off to protect it when it's empty, sounds a very simple solution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If it isint it should be

Tbh, drivers have enough crap to deal with outside the gate without getting blamed for stuff inside the gate too. We were collected an hour late a while back as a huge queue had built up due to not having any silo to pump the milk into. Now there was an empty silo there but that was being kept because there 'might' be a load of whey coming.

So in the logic of management, it's cheaper to store milk in the milk trucks and delay all the drivers than to let the one load of whey coming in wait for space to become available?

And it is cheaper to store milk in the tankers than put up another silo.

I'd be reluctant to criticise drivers, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Can't understand why some posters here are so hostile regarding milk collections. Am I supposed to hang around on the day of collection so I can make sure the tank is turned off? Milk lorry can arrive at any time in the day. I went to a match yesterday and arrived home to the tank not switched off. This is a great country where milk is being collected and here is no obligation to switch off the tank or put the tank washing.

If our drivers didn’t do it I’d be getting milk collected at 8.30 am or 6pm and not outside these times. It happens here on occasion that it’s forgotten but it’s rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If it doesn't wash or forgotten once or twice fair enough., but putting it washing isn't a big deal tbh. Literally a case of pushing a button before they leave on current tank and on old packo it was just a case of screw on the connection and turn switch to wash. I wouldn't go falling out with people over it but at the same time it should be something drivers should do. Most collections here are in the middle of the night, tank takes an hour to wash.

If our drivers didn’t do it I’d be getting milk collected at 8.30 am or 6pm and not outside these times. It happens here on occasion that it’s forgotten but it’s rare.

We recently had our routre chang3d to suit one of the larger suppliers so i know that for you to be accommodated somebody else is thrown out of kilter.it has put a it of pressure on us but we just get on with it.but anyway everyone does things rheir own way but abit of respect dosent go astray for the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Tbh, drivers have enough crap to deal with outside the gate without getting blamed for stuff inside the gate too. We were collected an hour late a while back as a huge queue had built up due to not having any silo to pump the milk into. Now there was an empty silo there but that was being kept because there 'might' be a load of whey coming.

So in the logic of management, it's cheaper to store milk in the milk trucks and delay all the drivers than to let the one load of whey coming in wait for space to become available?

Fully agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Finally saw the light and picked up a 10ft mower to replace the topper that I broke up last week. It's like going from a rusty bet up beard trimmer to the nicest mach3 fusion razor ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Finally saw the light and picked up a 10ft mower to replace the topper that I broke up last week. It's like going from a rusty bet up beard trimmer to the nicest mach3 fusion razor ha.
    Its the kind of thing that is very hard to justify on paper but very easy in practice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

K.G. wrote: »
    Its the kind of thing that is very hard to justify on paper but very easy in practice

Means a lot to have a mower that can top clean and also mow paddocks when it suits u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

What did you buy?

Not what the poster is talking about. Delays happen and drivers in my experience are more than accommodating but not putting a tank to wash on a regular basis is not playing the game

visatorro wrote: »
    What did you buy?

A decent clean 2nd hand Krone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm telling you, if you occasionally left the gate into the yard closed, you wouldn't be long hearing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭moneyheer

Water John wrote: »
    I'm telling you, if you occasionally left the gate into the yard closed, you wouldn't be long hearing about it.
    Yard gate always closed here no problem with drivers opening it only thing we ask of driver if milk collected during the night to close on way out, or if they don't see anyone in the yard during the day to close gate on way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

With a blast of the horn. Ha! :D

I'd say we all have stories about drivers and they have stories about farmers too.
    So with that I'll suck up to em and say they're the greatest people in the world. :) Not that I'm afraid of them reading this or putting a finger in a milk sample or using the tank washer as a weapon of mass destruction against you or making multiple trips to empty the tank or coming during milking time or the milk lorry meter reading light and only finding out by talking with your neighbours or ...I'd better shut up now. :pac:

Ah we're all a great bunch of lads! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A wide range, some very good, I think it depends too on how they are treated by the processor. Some have a rough enough deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mengele

I find giving them a few quid in an envelope at Christmas works wonders with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,172 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mengele wrote: »
    I find giving them a few quid in an envelope at Christmas works wonders with them.

Yup. Works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A wide range, some very good, I think it depends too on how they are treated by the processor. Some have a rough enough deal.

Processors are having to offer a lot better rates now and can’t be reading the riot act, lorries can’t be got with the improved economy and it’s not a case like in the recession where a transport company if they lost a milk run wouldn’t be able to find alternative work to keep the rig on the road

Not bad for cut exactly a month ago, and only got a bag of urea. I don't like doing 2nd cut on the milking block but zero choice here ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not bad for cut exactly a month ago, and only got a bag of urea. I don't like doing 2nd cut on the milking block but zero choice here ha.

You'll have all your grass cut with the new mower now and and up feeding bales to the cows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm doing the FRS milking course this week with a plan of doing relief milking and maybe down the line going into dairy on the home farm which hasn't milked since 2007.

I have little to no experience of milking parlor am I going to struggle doing the course? Is it expected you have some knowledge going into it or do they start from scratch?

Any advice at all re what I should look up and read up on over next 2 or so days so I don't stand out like a sore thumb on Thur?

Thanks

One things certain, growth is slowing. Dropped from 100 to 60 in one week and barely over 40 atm. Rain and kindness needed badly

Mooooo wrote: »
    You'll have all your grass cut with the new mower now and and up feeding bales to the cows!

OK ill stop now. 13ac more than I had planned this morning haha. I defo still have enough in front of the cows and will do for next few weeks, I'm gonna start pre mowing tomorrow on because topping leaves this mower absolutely distroyed in cowsh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,172 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

One things certain, growth is slowing. Dropped from 100 to 60 in one week and barely over 40 atm. Rain and kindness needed badly

Notice a rise in temperature today.

• Advertisement

I'm doing the FRS milking course this week with a plan of doing relief milking and maybe down the line going into dairy on the home farm which hasn't milked since 2007.

I have little to no experience of milking parlor am I going to struggle doing the course? Is it expected you have some knowledge going into it or do they start from scratch?

Any advice at all re what I should look up and read up on over next 2 or so days so I don't stand out like a sore thumb on Thur?

Thanks

Did the course a couple of years ago. Don't worry about it. It is a combination of the classroom and experience in the parlor. You will be shown the correct way to attach the clusters. I couldn't do it the way they wanted as I always put on the clusters with my right hand. I could never get used to applying the clusters with my left hand when cows were on the left hand side.

To be honest I didn't find the course much benefit but to someone starting off it might be more useful. Best of luck with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement