Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Going to have to help a neighbour salvage this in the morning, whats the best plan of action straw packed in the Centre where it’s sagging, loader driver needs a good kick in the hole too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you can access both sides could you push the sides down into it and roll again? Was that cut early with excess N or cut wet?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    If you can access both sides could you push the sides down into it and roll again? Was that cut early with excess N or cut wet?

Neither, a clown on the pit with a fear of going near the sides,can’t be accessed and only 11 foot accross on top so wont be able to roll Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Going to have to help a neighbour salvage this in the morning, whats the best plan of action straw packed in the Centre where it’s sagging, loader driver needs a good kick in the hole too

put more tyres in middle to have a slope out to both sides and put another sheet over them to stop any water getting in. I wouldn't strip it unless it's still moving

Bo dearg wrote: »
    put more tyres in middle to have a slope out to both sides and put another sheet over them to stop any water getting in. I wouldn't strip it unless it's still moving

That’s what I suggested to neighbour best way to go about it I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    3.7 fat,
    3.4 protein,
    27.5 litres.
    Works out about the 2 kgms.
    On 4 kg of nuts.

30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p
    5.3 kg average meal (3 to 8 kg )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Covered, just a wee bit of work around the edges left now. Cracking day for it, calm for the plastic and a cool breeze on top of the pit:)
    YhOnr0Q.jpg

Awaywithyou, I can see your house from here:D
    *waves*
    UOddF5R.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mahoney_j wrote: »
    30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p

Yield holding very well for you. Did you add much to the meal for the bf. Had issues with bf earlier in may and for all the messing with ration putting a bit of straw in a round feeder as they walked passed was prob the most effective. The changes to pricing had the low bf effect the price per litre more as well. As my first year all spring it's possible my genetics aren't great for bf anyway, normally average around 4 for the the year when split calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone with maize crops, how are they looking? Leaves gone yellow on mine here, and id say its afew weeks behind last year. Its not the end of the world, massive crops of grass silage will more than make up for average maize yeilds, and in years like last year its very cheap insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭visatorro

30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p

How much are the ones getting 8kg yielding?

visatorro wrote: »
    How much are the ones getting 8kg yielding?

Over 37 kg milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Over 37 kg milk

Base feed rate to how many litres ?
    .4 kg /litre after that? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Covered, just a wee bit of work around the edges left now. Cracking day for it, calm for the plastic and a cool breeze on top of the pit:)
    YhOnr0Q.jpg

Do you tire up the side? I find the sides go rotten once pit is open if the sides arent tired up

Base feed rate to how many litres ?
    .4 kg /litre after that? ?

3 kg for 26
    0.42 every kg over that to 8 kg max

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

8 is alot on the stomach. I'd be nervous. My ration has 6kg max feeding rate.

Do you tire up the side? I find the sides go rotten once pit is open if the sides arent tired up

Yeah, I roll up the big tires and stretch the plastic for a few days first and build up the car tires to about 3/4 ways up then. I keep meaning to ask about the powders for the sides but the pressure comes on and it's put off again:rolleyes:

8 is alot on the stomach. I'd be nervous. My ration has 6kg max feeding rate.

No issue 1 of these still doing north of 50 kg milk needsevery bit of it to hold bcs and go in calf .theyd eat more if feeding thru feeder in tmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

4.58 fat
    3.87 pr
    7% cows on oad
    2.5 flat rate of cheap nut Full of pk and wheatfeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I thought the land in kerry was.. looks like the golden vale there butford

• Advertisement

Don't mind the kerry lads. They're cute out... some of the best land in the country in north kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Don't mind the kerry lads. They're cute out... some of the best land in the country in north kerry.

And the ones that hadn't good farms sold out and bought some of the best land in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭cute geoge

kevthegaff wrote: »

There is a vane of the best land in the country running from Ratoo round tower in Ballyduff on into Causeway back past Dairymaster into Ballyheighue up to Kerryhead

kevthegaff wrote: »

Yeah, the wild west of the Golden Vale.

We even have some right cowboys too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD
    Tall grass grazing system.

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

Could you explain that? I'm assuming that means heavy covers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

How’s the OAD going for you?

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

Sounds like a low input, low stress system. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Milk collected today at 1.30pm. Just on the farm now for evening milking. Warning signal beeping on tank. Temperature too low. Tank wasn't turned off and put washing. Rang the haulage contractor. Relief driver on today and was told that their not obliged to put the tank washing. All tank operational instructions taped to the tank. This is the 2nd or 3rd time where this has happened recently. Do lorry drivers put on other people's tanks washing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I wouldn't bother with the haulage contractor, contact the processor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement