Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Milk collected today at 1.30pm. Just on the farm now for evening milking. Warning signal beeping on tank. Temperature too low. Tank wasn't turned off and put washing. Rang the haulage contractor. Relief driver on today and was told that their not obliged to put the tank washing. All tank operational instructions taped to the tank. This is the 2nd or 3rd time where this has happened recently. Do lorry drivers put on other people's tanks washing?

They always put it washing here. Ring the milk manager in coop. It's normally only a case of connecting a pipe or closing the cap they opened and hitting a button or switch, wouldn't exactly cost them time

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Mooooo wrote: »
    They always put it washing here. Ring the milk manager in coop. It's normally only a case of connecting a pipe or closing the cap they opened and hitting a button or switch, wouldn't exactly cost them time

Very simple process. Often they just throw the outlet cap on the ground instead of placing it on the tank steps right in front of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Milk collected today at 1.30pm. Just on the farm now for evening milking. Warning signal beeping on tank. Temperature too low. Tank wasn't turned off and put washing. Rang the haulage contractor. Relief driver on today and was told that their not obliged to put the tank washing. All tank operational instructions taped to the tank. This is the 2nd or 3rd time where this has happened recently. Do lorry drivers put on other people's tanks washing?

Most drivers here do but they're not obliged to do it. The early collections normally are put washing round here so the farmer doesn't have to wait for the wash to finish before milking though.

Most drivers here do but they're not obliged to do it. The early collections normally are put washing round here so the farmer doesn't have to wait for the wash to finish before milking though.

Leaving the tank on cooling with no milk is not good for the compressor. Are they obliged to turn off the tank? Otherwise I may as well become a complete slave to the farm and can't head away to a match or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just put a note on the tank to please turn off cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just put a note on the tank to please turn off cooler.

If it's a dairymaster tank it's as easy to put washing as it is to stop cooling

If it's a dairymaster tank it's as easy to put washing as it is to stop cooling

Packo tank

Packo tank

Press one button twice to stop tank and then wash button twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Leaving the tank on cooling with no milk is not good for the compressor. Are they obliged to turn off the tank? Otherwise I may as well become a complete slave to the farm and can't head away to a match or anything

The operations that they have to carry out should be up on the tanker, iirc?

Our lads always turn off the tank and switch on the agitator and switch it off towards the end of the collection, we've never had any problems like that, thank god.

Might be worth having a chat with your local manager about it. Making a big fuss about it could result in them only doing the absolute bare minimum and you getting a bad rep as a troublemaker?

The operations that they have to carry out should be up on the tanker, iirc?

Our lads always turn off the tank and switch on the agitator and switch it off towards the end of the collection, we've never had any problems like that, thank god.

Might be worth having a chat with your local manager about it. Making a big fuss about it could result in them only doing the absolute bare minimum and you getting a bad rep as a troublemaker?

Didn't want to speak to the manager as I felt I would be going over the haulage operator. Preferred to speak to him direct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Didn't want to speak to the manager as I felt I would be going over the haulage operator. Preferred to speak to him direct

**** it I'd ring the milk manager. Its hardly that hard to put the tank on wash. Driver does it here and there has been a good few new ones driving this year.
    I fell out black with mine last year because I wasnt finished milking at 8.30 am for him, in the spring no less!
    I never held a grudge and he hasnt either

**** it I'd ring the milk manager. Its hardly that hard to put the tank on wash. Driver does it here and there has been a good few new ones driving this year.
    I fell out black with mine last year because I wasnt finished milking at 8.30 am for him, in the spring no less!
    I never held a grudge and he hasnt either

Thanks. I contacted the manager before about the drivers not switching on the agitators before collecting the milk. Today's collection was pure carelessness again. He had it set up to wash but never pressed the button for wash. Invested in a new dairy and tank and the drivers can't check to see if the wash is running on the display panel

Thanks. I contacted the manager before about the drivers not switching on the agitators before collecting the milk. Today's collection was pure carelessness again. He had it set up to wash but never pressed the button for wash. Invested in a new dairy and tank and the drivers can't check to see if the wash is running on the display panel
    With a new tank theres no excuse. Ours is 4 years old. Very easy to do it. Turn it off before milk is collected, screw on the wash cap after the collection pipe is taken away and press wash
    Job done

With a new tank theres no excuse. Ours is 4 years old. Very easy to do it. Turn it off before milk is collected, screw on the wash cap after the collection pipe is taken away and press wash
    Job done

Same as mine. Its not rocket science to be honest and the instructions are taped onto the tank

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

So the driver is doing you a favour and ye get cross because they dont do it or do something wrong.not saying a bit bur do ye expect a relief driver to get a list of instructions on each tank on his run and get it right.make it you're business to be there if its important .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

K.G. wrote: »
    So the driver is doing you a favour and ye get cross because they dont do it or do something wrong.not saying a bit bur do ye expect a relief driver to get a list of instructions on each tank on his run and get it right.make it you're business to be there if its important .

Agreed
    Running to the boss sounds very childish anyway;
    Could have the opposite effect

wrangler wrote: »
    Agreed

My tank takes 40 minutes to wash. That's 40 minutes of my morning gone if the milk is collected at night, which it used to be.
    If you held them up for 40 minutes they would have some puss on there face
    And leaving the tank on with no milk in it is bad for the tank and compressors.
    It's not like it's a big job to press a button and screw on the wash cap

My tank takes 40 minutes to wash. That's 40 minutes of my morning gone if the milk is collected at night, which it used to be.
    If you held them up for 40 minutes they would have some puss on there face
    And leaving the tank on with no milk in it is bad for the tank and compressors.
    It's not like it's a big job to press a button and screw on the wash cap

Probably just forgot,..... to err etc etc
    I was talking to a new recruit to the PS yesterday, he was telling me that he has had to find his low box since he joined. another guy said that if he puts up ten fence posts today they'll expect the same tomorrow !!!!!!!!!......that's the mentality thats out there now. it's certainly not the mentality of milk tanker drivers

wrangler wrote: »
    Agreed

The boss man said the driver should not have left the yard without switching off the tank. Keep your childish comments to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not worth falling out with milk man ,there will be days when u badly need him .running off to the boss crying rather than just having a word with the driver/milk manager is pure madness and childish ,unless the driver is a pure dick or pure incompetent I wouldn’t be going over board ,they work long hours and have to suck it up going into tight yards ,opening gates ,waiting on lads to finish milking etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yield holding very well for you. Did you add much to the meal for the bf. Had issues with bf earlier in may and for all the messing with ration putting a bit of straw in a round feeder as they walked passed was prob the most effective. The changes to pricing had the low bf effect the price per litre more as well. As my first year all spring it's possible my genetics aren't great for bf anyway, normally average around 4 for the the year when split calving.

Megafat at 2.5% in nut since start of year ,nis at 12.5% since start as well and actisaf since mid April .13.5% p nut with main ingridents maize,barley. Soya beet pulp and distillers .fat at lowest went to 3.59 but averaged 3.7 for May ,back at more acceptable level now .tbh there isn’t much I can do outside of putting in a buffer of maize silage/beet and something like brewers grains mix but no diet feeder and too much hassle at this stage of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yes always put washing here, although it'd be washed by the time I'd be ready to start anyway so Im not too bothered.

In our tank you can't switch on the washer without the tank being off. Shouldn't be too hard to do or think of for a tank manufacturer .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Once or twice over the years a driver has forgotten to switch off the tank. I never bothered ringing anyone, they probably just forgot.

Could you explain that? I'm assuming that means heavy covers?

Yes-ish, its not a "thing" , im just tryingvto describe it . Using minimal N input so covers are still around 2000 grazing down to 5-700. Not too dense at the base. Happened by accident last year due to the bizarre weather and I was surprised how well it worked. Might need to make some dry cow bales yet to straighten it out.
    Reason I mentioned it is because protein should be higher otherwise.

Panch18 wrote: »
    How’s the OAD going for you?

Good so far, there's more in it though. It suits my situation and pays the bills, makes dairy farming a very attractive lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

cute geoge wrote: »
    There is a vane of the best land in the country running from Ratoo round tower in Ballyduff on into Causeway back past Dairymaster into Ballyheighue up to Kerryhead

Some good land in Ardfert, where the ploughing was in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They have forgotten to turn off the compressor switch on my tank on more than one occasion, then you have the compressor fighting 80 degree water :mad: I said it to a new driver last week who's Polish but I don't know whether he didn't understand or didn't want to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

K.G. wrote: »

I absolutely do.
    Cooler off, agitation on press wash button. It’s part and parcel of collecting milk, simple as that.

I absolutely do.
    Cooler off, agitation on press wash button. It’s part and parcel of collecting milk, simple as that.

Can't understand why some posters here are so hostile regarding milk collections. Am I supposed to hang around on the day of collection so I can make sure the tank is turned off? Milk lorry can arrive at any time in the day. I went to a match yesterday and arrived home to the tank not switched off. This is a great country where milk is being collected and here is no obligation to switch off the tank or put the tank washing.

• Advertisement

Can't understand why some posters here are so hostile regarding milk collections. Am I supposed to hang around on the day of collection so I can make sure the tank is turned off? Milk lorry can arrive at any time in the day. I went to a match yesterday and arrived home to the tank not switched off. This is a great country where milk is being collected and here is no obligation to switch off the tank or put the tank washing.

Is it actually part of the drivers job,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement