Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Did the course a couple of years ago. Don't worry about it. It is a combination of the classroom and experience in the parlor. You will be shown the correct way to attach the clusters. I couldn't do it the way they wanted as I always put on the clusters with my right hand. I could never get used to applying the clusters with my left hand when cows were on the left hand side.

To be honest I didn't find the course much benefit but to someone starting off it might be more useful. Best of luck with it

Ps. Apologies for beating ye in the hurling at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Ps. Apologies for beating ye in the hurling at the weekend

Thanks for the course tips. Please don't mention the hurling I'm only just starting to come out of the depression

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Thanks for the course tips. Please don't mention the hurling I'm only just starting to come out of the depression

A tiny bit of revenge for 82!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

One things certain, growth is slowing. Dropped from 100 to 60 in one week and barely over 40 atm. Rain and kindness needed badly

Same as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm doing the FRS milking course this week with a plan of doing relief milking and maybe down the line going into dairy on the home farm which hasn't milked since 2007.

I have little to no experience of milking parlor am I going to struggle doing the course? Is it expected you have some knowledge going into it or do they start from scratch?

Any advice at all re what I should look up and read up on over next 2 or so days so I don't stand out like a sore thumb on Thur?

Thanks
    I did it 3 or 4 years ago, a basic course but covers everything. Iirc, the first day will be about the basics of the milking machine, vacuum pumps, regulators, sanitary traps, milk lines, basic maintenance etc. Have a read of the milking facilities in the link below and get your someone to talk you through it in real life.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Dairy-Manual-Section3.pdf

They will do a section on correct mixing of teat dips, correct teat spraying/dipping, tubing cows and stuff like that. They'll show you the correct way to prepare a cow for milking, washing, drying, drawing and what to look out for. Then they'll show you the correct way to put on the clusters. I found that very good and I don't have any pains after milking any more.

You'll be carried out to a farm then and shown the different parts in their parlour and wash routines. We were left milk the cows using the new way of putting them on, just take your time and you'll be fine. It'll become a habit after a while, but I still go back to the old way when I'm tired:rolleyes:

You'll have to show them how you milk in a practical exam after a few weeks, they should be able to sort someone out for you if you can't find a neighbour to help. I still remember being told I wasn't using enough paper to dry the cows:o

Don't worry about it, it's just to reinforce what you've learned and correct any mistakes you might have made.

The link below is the Teagasc Dairy Manual, you'll find it handy or you can get a copy from the number in the link below

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2016/teagasc-dairy-manual.php

And enjoy it, you'll be fine:)

• Advertisement

Things are looking bleak in America

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Knee high by the 4th July is the saying here. A lot of ground not planted as well in the states. I saw some commentary where lads were more worried that a spike in prices would see excessive planting next year which would lead to a crash the following year. Some of the insurance schemes they have may reduce losses I think depending on inputs bought etc.
    You wouldn't know what trump would do running up to elections with farming states more republican. He's making agri a bigger issue with the EU trade as well

Mooooo wrote: »
    Knee high by the 4th July is the saying here. A lot of ground not planted as well in the states. I saw some commentary where lads were more worried that a spike in prices would see excessive planting next year which would lead to a crash the following year. Some of the insurance schemes they have may reduce losses I think depending on inputs bought etc.
    You wouldn't know what trump would do running up to elections with farming states more republican. He's making agri a bigger issue with the EU trade as well

All the maize around here is yellow with the cold. None of it will be knee high by 4th if July. Unlikely there will be bumper maize crops this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

All the maize around here is yellow with the cold. None of it will be knee high by 4th if July. Unlikely there will be bumper maize crops this year
    Was it any warmer with you today, could nearly see the grass growing here today . 18 degrees at 6pm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was it any warmer with you today, could nearly see the grass growing here today . 18 degrees at 6pm

Yeah there was nice heat there in the afternoon.
    My house has insulated plasterboard right the way round and when its warm outside its twice as warm inside. Sitting on the couch here in a polo shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »

Lots of contradictions and memarisms, the funny thing is if a sharp jolt was to hit the economy and the likes of thy apple/dell tax money which is propping up the government budgets at the minute was to disappear the above climate action plan would be only fit for lighting the fire.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautiful down here in Wicklow today
    At the rate grass is growing, we'll soon be classified organic,we've had to put out so little fert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Beautiful down here in Wicklow today
    At the rate grass is growing, we'll soon be classified organic,we've had to put out so little fert

Got 2 pallets of fert dropped in the yard today just to keep the grass ticking over, a growth rate of 40 is enough to keep us ticking over the rest of the summer (I've well enough silage by now, I had to refuse bales dropped into my yard for 20e each the other day!). However I'm temped to oversow abit of clover into the paddocks I've mowed today. Any suggestions for easiest way to do this, would I get away with spread with the wagtail and wash in with slurry?

Need heat down here, growth slow now with 7 days,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got 2 pallets of fert dropped in the yard today just to keep the grass ticking over, a growth rate of 40 is enough to keep us ticking over the rest of the summer (I've well enough silage by now, I had to refuse bales dropped into my yard for 20e each the other day!). However I'm temped to oversow abit of clover into the paddocks I've mowed today. Any suggestions for easiest way to do this, would I get away with spread with the wagtail and wash in with slurry?

You’re some greedy bastard, you’re supposed to buy the bales and pay minimum €25 for them. I got in right bother with the aristocrat and a few others for saying silage will be bought for less than cost of production.

You’re some greedy bastard, you’re supposed to buy the bales and pay minimum €25 for them. I got in right bother with the aristocrat and a few others for saying silage will be bought for less than cost of production.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What are lads spreading on grazing ground, are the skipping paddocks etc. I'd imagine after a cut Timmaay would be the best time to spread clover with no wind as a better coverage, slurry probably good idea also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What are lads spreading on grazing ground, are the skipping paddocks etc. I'd imagine after a cut Timmaay would be the best time to spread clover with no wind as a better coverage, slurry probably good idea also

Following cows with 3/4 bag protected urea with sulphur (38% n 5% s)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »

That would be the easiest but might not be too accurate tho

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »

Going with 24 2.5 10 here this round. A few paddocks baled that didn't get slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Do people have the milking machines insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Do people have the milking machines insured?

Is it not included in milking parlour and equipment

I'm routinely asked to value it every year as part of that including the bulk tank (not contents) ,that's with Zurich
    Could leave it out if I wanted to save €100 a year...

Iv an auld wreck of a parlour, if I spent say 50k on a new parlour I'd imagine I'd have more valuable equipment

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'm routinely asked to value it every year as part of that including the bulk tank (not contents) ,that's with Zurich
    Could leave it out if I wanted to save €100 a year...

Does it cover break down, major parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2000 gallons/ac of watery slurry going out after heavy first cut (splash plate)

What N uptake could I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

orm0nd wrote: »

I'd say somewhere between 1 and 4 depending on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

orm0nd wrote: »

Wouldnt even consider it when calculating N for second cut tbh with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    I'd say somewhere between 1 and 4 depending on the weather.

3 units per 1000gallons seems to be the accepted figure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement