Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Down in the herd test again today.2 cows.locked up since last October.passed one test and now 2 in a row.both cows had nothing the previous tests,flat as could be.fair annoying at this stage.and the ones gone already killed out ok.

have ya had them blooded for tb??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

have ya had them blooded for tb??

The ones gone already were blooded,showed up positive but killed out negative.I assume these new 2 will be blood tested next week

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The ones gone already were blooded,showed up positive but killed out negative.I assume these new 2 will be blood tested next week

has the entire herd or those over 9mths old been blooded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

has the entire herd or those over 9mths old been blooded?

No.i guess that could be next on the agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

They wanted me to blood test the full herd after 5 went down to tb, apparently if less than 5% of the herd is down then its no compulsory, so I decided not to. Hard to know if I should of taken the hit or not but I've herd of too many farms where blood test postives show up negative in the factory and it doesn't hugely help eliminate the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    They wanted me to blood test the full herd after 5 went down to tb, apparently if less than 5% of the herd is down then its no compulsory, so I decided not to. Hard to know if I should of taken the hit or not but I've herd of too many farms where blood test postives show up negative in the factory and it doesn't hugely help eliminate the problem.

When are you testing again?

whelan2 wrote: »
    When are you testing again?

July 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭visatorro

July 8th

Same day as me, dept test as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Same day as me, dept test as well!

Is that your annual test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is that your annual test?

No. Neighbours are down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bordering farm beside us on a outfarm went down with a good few reactors in March, he’s a walking b**k so hadn’t the courtesy of a phone call at the time to inform us, heard it secondhand of another neighbor, department only sent out the letter informing us he’s locked up last week....
    It’s a joke of a system, had 5 inconclusives last year that all passed on the 60 day retest and all passed again this year, 3k of milk down the drain and not a penny of compensation

blooding will eliminate the problem........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Don't think it will. Blooded two years running down 40 cow's. Had 2 clear tests since last year but must test every 6 months now for 3 tests. Still not confident tbh. Esp if wildlife is the source

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Tb testing is big industry for vets and Dept ,no correlation beteween skin ,blood and culture .whole system is a joke and no willingness to eradicate it trying for 60 years and not even close yet .

Mooooo wrote: »
    Don't think it will. Blooded two years running down 40 cow's. Had 2 clear tests since last year but must test every 6 months now for 3 tests. Still not confident tbh. Esp if wildlife is the source

are u clear or locked up at the moment? we had a woeful tb breakdown 8 yrs ago was locked up for 2yrs... lost over 200 cows and every calf born in the year 2011 went down and every calf born in Jan 2012 went down... we were rejecting the blood test route for a while until it was forced on us..... in fairness we had 2 clear tests after it and have been clear since... and we are being tested every 4mths since which is a pain but handy for getting the vaccinations done...

are u clear or locked up at the moment? we had a woeful tb breakdown 8 yrs ago was locked up for 2yrs... lost over 200 cows and every calf born in the year 2011 went down and every calf born in Jan 2012 went down... we were rejecting the blood test route for a while until it was forced on us..... in fairness we had 2 clear tests after it and have been clear since... and we are being tested every 4mths since which is a pain but handy for getting the vaccinations done...

Kinda clear. Had 2nd clear in Jan, since march Can only sell younger than 6 weeks, and they can't go for export, some new rule brought in. Must test any time before the second week of August when if I go clear I can trade as normal but test every6 months. 2 years ago had 3 reactors and 3 doubtfuls which were upgraded. Blooded and 16 more followed. Had a clear test and then had 1 reactor and 4 doubtfuls in next test start of last year, blooded again and 13 more followed out the gate. So will see how we go. All 17 cultured last year and no sign of it in cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

mahoney_j wrote: »
    A start but I wouldn’t put a huge emphasis on them ,putting out cop of high teens low 20s is dangerous and plain wrong ,there has to be gdpr issues there as well .a guide but that’s it

I net off the receipts for calves and cull cows against the cost of replacements and anytime I did the detailed figures it proved accurate enough. So to get a quick rough cop just don’t include the cost of replacements or the receipts for calf or cull cow sales.

Mooooo wrote: »

This was a strong point of mine, 2 of my neighbours went down also, after years of us all being free of tb, so I was not happy to go straight in and blood test, lose a load of animals now, especially while cows at peak production (and a very poor compensation for loss of milk), and while we are unsure of the wildlife influence, which could bring it back into the herd immediately after I took the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Coming back to your man that got 39 cent for may milk ,would we be better off following his example by cutting out meal if their is sufficient grass in the diet .Is it just a fools game pumping out milk at 30 odd cent per litre .In fairness he is making a big margin per litre Could it be possible he would be making as much profit as lads supplying twice his amount of milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, no cattle, no TB:D

A friend of mine gone down at the herd test, took another 5 with bloods and says they're talking about more bloods being done next time.

A few miles west of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

cute geoge wrote: »
    Coming back to your man that got 39 cent for may milk ,would we be better off following his example by cutting out meal if their is sufficient grass in the diet .Is it just a fools game pumping out milk at 30 odd cent per litre .In fairness he is making a big margin per litre Could it be possible he would be making as much profit as lads supplying twice his amount of milk!

I’m feeding 2 kg of meal doing 27L @4.08 & 3.61
    Over9€/cow in sales
    Cost of meal 50c
    Net =8.5

18L@39c
    =€7
    Think 1-2 kgs meal pays for itself. IMO
    That and the added value of cover for cal mg & minerals

Not criticizing the chap as it’s hisxway and in fairness he is very open re what he dose .we are paid for kgms tho and whilst he may be making a good margin now he is supplying low Ltrs and relatively low kgms ,it would be a fair struggle if not impossible to develop ,expand a farm and provide a wage and good drawings to support a mortgage and family unless at a big scale simillar to New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭farisfat

Is he oad I'm hearing some great results of fertility from oad herds and lonativity.....with replacement costing 1500 Euro it might not be all about kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Not criticizing the chap as it’s hisxway and in fairness he is very open re what he dose .we are paid for kgms tho and whilst he may be making a good margin now he is supplying low Ltrs and relatively low kgms ,it would be a fair struggle if not impossible to develop ,expand a farm and provide a wage and good drawings to support a mortgage and family unless at a big scale simillar to New Zealand

I 100% agree mj and I wouldbt agree on his system but it's his so he can do what he likes.
    36c for Mays milk here.

farisfat wrote: »

Is he oad I'm hearing some great results of fertility from oad herds and lonativity.....with replacement costing 1500 Euro it might not be all about kgs.

We are paid for kgms not cent per liter ,great fertility results are in both oad and tad herds ,ditto longevity .good management and cows to suit whatever system u want are key .a very close eye needs to be kept on nitrates ,derogation and the green agenda as big changes dictated by these are going to affect us in a big way in future years

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Could ya spread urea today guys? It’s pretty warm and dry but rain forecast for tomorrow and Monday.

Could ya spread urea today guys? It’s pretty warm and dry but rain forecast for tomorrow and Monday.

There would likely be losses. Later in the evening would be better if tis all you have in the yard

No bother but as moo said later in evening ,no can spread here this year all urea and mostly protected urea with s .we may get used to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭orm0nd

any body giving garlic licks to heifers as fly prevetention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Farney Farmer

No bother but as moo said later in evening ,no can spread here this year all urea and mostly protected urea with s .we may get used to it .
    Thanks lads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement