Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

listermint wrote: »
    You mean terrorism I assume

It was designed to sow terror, polarisation and fear whilst being widely viewed.

Mass murder has other objectives

Personally I think we need to get rid of word "terrorist" all together. In a weird way it legitimatizes them and galvanizes them.

Mass Murdering Coward is way more apt IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The coward didn't have the balls to go to Syria to fight ISIS.

Possible interpretations as to why:
    1. It would not have given him as much personal attention
    2. It would have involved saving Muslims (like the Kurds).
    3. It would have involved him being part of an organized military structure with people telling him what to do.
    4. He was really rather taken by ISIS style spectaculars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. It would be my take that we're essentially fighting "World War 3" at the moment, but like you say not in the traditional way.

Who do you think is involved in this World War?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Why is his face blurred on news reports?the whole planet know s who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't, and I couldn't be bothered looking either, the damage is done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MrFresh wrote: »
    Who do you think is involved in this World War?
    There are a few actors on the stage I'd reckon M. America would be obvious enough, Russia another, China. A loose affiliation of ideologies in the Middle East and within the wider Western World. Corporations and high finance would be in the mix, as the always were. This time they want to keep it a "peaceful war", because 21st century outright war would be extremely bad for business. Places like the EU would me more like France in WW2, fought over, divided, but itself not quite sure what side it's on yet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pter wrote: »
    Nothing from NASA either. Or the mole people. And why haven't dolphins come out and castagated the madman.

This didn't happen in America, we don't live in America. Please make sure your points are actually relevant.

Didn't see a mod note or a usual bold font here so I assume you're speaking as a regular poster.

The above is quite harsh and very condescending (dolphins and mole people) given it's a mass shooting and the NRA are forever commenting on those. What's wrong with making a point regarding that here?

Sure we don't live in America but we don't live in NZ either yet we're discussing it here. Topics evolve and gun control has always been a major part of this topic and any mass shooting threads in general on here. It's relevant enough I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

As far as Pewdiepie is concerned, he's courted and payed lip-service to the alt right ever since their inception, I don't have much sympathy for him to be honest.

Brilliant move by the Judge.

He craves notoriety. Fook him.

The Judge said it was "to give a fair trial", that was just bollix though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

ClanofLams wrote: »
    How many places? It happens in America more than anywhere else, going to have undercover operatives at every school, church, bus/train station, shopping centre, concert, etc there?

That would require hundreds of thousands of people at least.

Australia was having mass shootings every other year until the Port Arthur massacre. They went for the simplest approach and brought in gun control. No more mass shootings since.

I was surprised when I heard how lax NZ guns laws are, unfortunately there was always going to be outcome because of this.

I'd hazard a guess that guns law will go the same way as other countries who have experienced these atrocities.

Kinda makes you wonder why it takes something like this for countries to change their gun laws.

Civilians and firearms invariably lead to this type of thing. A civilian has no business owning something that is designed to wage war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

people painting new Zealand as some sort of cultural paradise goa by the sea etc, but didn't I hear yesterday that the current government was elected on changing immigration policies,turn to the right etc

I was surprised when I heard how lax NZ guns laws are, unfortunately there was always going to be outcome because of this.

I'd hazard a guess that guns law will go the same way as other countries who have experienced these atrocities.

Kinda makes you wonder why it takes something like this for countries to change their gun laws.

Civilians and firearms invariably lead to this type of thing. A civilian has no business owning something that is designed to wage war.

Because it wasn't a problem in NZ or Oz, most mass shootings were murder suicide in families. They both have/had low homicide rates from guns.

They had vote in November just gone apparently, I think I read there was 19 recommendations on gun control, 7 were implemented, I imagine that will be reconsidered going forward.

Your right though, the only reason someone in New Zealand should have an assault rifle is if the walls of Jurassic Park were breached.

They'll change them now. Nobody should have access to the guns he had bar the USA they need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I was wondering this morning if the death penalty was an option in New Zealand, would this prick-of-a-human have carried out the atrocity?
    I know that there are arguments against the death penalty, but in instances like this, it should be applicable. It would serve as as a deterrent because people like the heavily armed mass murderer in New Zealand are essentially cowards and would act differently (i.e not act at all) if they thought they would be executed for their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

El_Bee wrote: »
    As far as Pewdiepie is concerned, he's courted and payed lip-service to the alt right ever since their inception, I don't have much sympathy for him to be honest.

You may not have sympathy for him but using an atrocity like this in an attempt to take him down because people don't like him only continues the divide.

The amount of ghouls online who essentially don't give a **** about what happened in NZ and are only using it for political points scoring is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

people painting new Zealand as some sort of cultural paradise goa by the sea etc, but didn't I hear yesterday that the current government was elected on changing immigration policies,turn to the right etc

If you did hear it, it was incorrect.

The minority government in control is a left wing alliance comprised of Labour and the Greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Some really evil comments on my Facebook newsfeed this morning . This is hardly the time. I feel a bit sick to think I agreed with the same people about some things in the past.

This is why I deleted my FB account in January.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's ok, the most popular youtuber ever don't need your sympathy, nor your smears.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    I was wondering this morning if the death penalty was an option in New Zealand, would this prick-of-a-human have carried out the atrocity?
    I know that there are arguments against the death penalty, but in instances like this, it should be applicable. It would serve as as a deterrent because people like the heavily armed mass murderer in New Zealand are essentially cowards and would act differently (i.e not act at all) if they thought they would be executed for their actions.

highly unlikely it would prevent such a thing, it hasnt stopped serious crimes being done in the past, it probably wont stop them now. humans are irrational beings, some highly irrational, even dangerous, some humans even struggle with uncontrollable behavior, acts are done before any thought process is complete

Death penalty would not deter this kind of mass shooting. Alot of mass shooters end up killing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If you did hear it, it was incorrect.

The minority government in control is a left wing alliance comprised of Labour and the Greens.

Not quite incorrect.

Yes Labour and Greens are in the coalition.

But the other coalition partner is Winston Peters (I'm not sure what his party is called now). He was acting PM while Arden took maternity leave. And he certainly comes with anit-immigration policies, which can be seen im the restrictions on foreigners buying property.

Death penalty would not deter this kind of mass shooting. Alot of mass shooters end up killing themselves.

Depends on the mass murderer and his intentions. I imagine this guy like Breivik had no real intention of going out in a haze of bullets.

Breivik actually phoned the police to surrender a couple of times and was found lying face down with his arms around his back.

Whether the death penalty would have deterred it or not is probably impossible to say.

I don't know if there is any data in the States that suggests their is more mass shootings in states without the death penalty.

I think your point in general is fairly sound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

True absolutely true, and they're more than likely dead inside anyhow.
    I cannot get my head around these mass killings, the observation of who's to blame run's very deep and in my opinion it's nothing to do with politics, religion or society.

It's more to do with the someone's neuro linguistic programming, maybe some day science will be able to test newborns DNA and see if they have that destructive gene or pathway.

But nowadays people just want to blame politics and Religion, not everyone has that bridge in their psyche that enables them to cross the Rubicon of inflicting unwarranted pain and death on innocence.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A lot of them do end up killing themselves, but not all. Some will give themselves up when cornered instead of fighting it out with armed police because they are essentially cowards.

My point is if the death penalty deterred at least one mass shooting, then lives would be saved. And that makes it worth it, in my opinion.
    I do understand though that it is a contentious point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

So the killer was indeed a lefty.

Hated Trump
    Eco-fasist
    Loved communism

Why are people trying to link him to the extreme right when hes more like extreme left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Omackeral wrote: »
    Didn't see a mod note or a usual bold font here so I assume you're speaking as a regular poster.

The above is quite harsh and very condescending (dolphins and mole people) given it's a mass shooting and the NRA are forever commenting on those. What's wrong with making a point regarding that here?

Sure we don't live in America but we don't live in NZ either yet we're discussing it here. Topics evolve and gun control has always been a major part of this topic and any mass shooting threads in general on here. It's relevant enough I'd have thought?

Mod

Apologies for confusing you. I'll edit in a mod tag for your clarity.

This tragedy happened in NZ, of course we are discussing NZ. That makes sense. If it happened in the US, would you come in saying 'oh what do the Argentinians have to say about this.'

Some people want EVERYTHING to come back to what's happening in the US. Frankly what the US gun control people on either side of the debate have to say about NZ gun control is hugely irrelevant.

It's off topic lads. If you want to discuss gun control in the US, go for it elsewhere. This human tragedy is still only 1 day old and as I have warned before, if you can't stick to the topic at hand without bringing in irrelevant side discussions, then don't post. I don't think i could have been clearer on this. STOP BRINGING THINGS BACK TO US POLITICAL POINT SCORING.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

Apologies for confusing you. I'll edit in a mod tag for your clarity.

This tragedy happened in NZ, of course we are discussing NZ. That makes sense. If it happened in the US, would you come in saying 'oh what do the Argentinians have to say about this.'

Some people want EVERYTHING to come back to what's happening in the US. Frankly what the US gun control people on either side of the debate have to say about NZ gun control is hugely irrelevant.

It's off topic lads. If you want to discuss gun control in the US, go for it. This human tragedy is still only 1 day old and as I have warned before, if you can't stick to the topic at hand without brining in irrelevant side discussions, then don't post. I don't think i could have been clearer on this. STOP BRINGING THINGS BACK TO US POLITICAL POINT SCORING.

Nothing worse than putting the US or any other country or leader on an almighty pedestal to gain points in a discussion about something which happened thousands of miles away.

Politics and these atrocious acts don't mix

Well not in my head anyhow, I look at it more scientifically.

I'll respond as you've quoted me and then I'll leave the thread as I don't think open discussion is really being encouraged. Very blurry lines in that mod note. If we're going by that rule, surely all talk of the Australian Senator's statement is irrelevant too. Who cares what some American/Australian/Argentinian politician thinks.

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Nothing worse than putting the US or any other country or leader on an almighty pedestal to gain points in a discussion about something which happened thousands of miles away.

TBF we all ready had a comparison between New Zealand and Australia on gun control, they are thousands of miles away from each other.

Gun control is part of the story, it's highly relevant, we know this because the PM stood up yesterday and said that gun control laws will change and how do countries sometimes legislate on certain things?

They look to other countries who adopted similar methods.

That said musing what the NRA in America thinks of it, is not relevant. Who cares what they think TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

declan2693 wrote: »

Hated Trump
    Eco-fasist
    Loved communism

Why are people trying to link him to the extreme right when hes more like extreme left.
    This is the most extreme cherry picking from his 'manifesto'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah another country changing their gun laws after a mass shooting. Still bemused as to why the greatest country in the world won't change theirs

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah another country changing their gun laws after a mass shooting. Still bemused as to why the greatest country in the world won't change theirs

'greatest'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'll respond as you've quoted me and then I'll leave the thread as I don't think open discussion is really being encouraged. Very blurry lines in that mod note. If we're going by that rule, surely all talk of the Australian Senator's statement is irrelevant too. Who cares what some American/Australian/Argentinian politician thinks.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

RasTa wrote: »

Ireland is fine the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

interesting discussion on LBC on what motivates these white supremicist/ISIS fruitcakes.
    basically they are mirror images of each other.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/zealand-terrorist-attack-suspect-grins-court-190316011147796.html
    He flashed an upside-down "okay" signal, a symbol used by white power groups across the globe.
    Lol, this is what happens when you use idiots as reporters. Or maybe they are just not in touch.
    https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1249757-ok-symbol-%F0%9F%91%8C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Considering the island of Ireland has a fine record of producing domestic terrorists I'm really glad that guns are highly restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

biko wrote: »

It looks like it has become a WN symbol even though it was a satire to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Considering the island of Ireland has a fine record of producing domestic terrorists I'm really glad that guns are highly restricted.

It didn’t stop any actual terrorist of course.

• Advertisement

declan2693 wrote: »

Hated Trump
    Eco-fasist
    Loved communism

A lot of people are not so easily categorised. We have conflicting opinions about many things, and this is usually ok.
    What isn't ok is killing people in the name of religion, or in the name of Ebba Åkerlund.

Sad fact, Ebba Åkerlund's grave have been vandalised several times by a Polish immigrant, probably deranged and not affiliated to any group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

biko wrote: »

I really don't like that the okay hand gesture has been hijacked, there aren't that many to begin with. Always used it as an okay symbol, but also in school you'd try to get someone to look at the circle. Feels like if the word fag is banned.

I grew up smoking fags while giving the okay hand signal. It's times like this that makes me hate we live in the Anglosphere as we import way too much nonsense from the US and the UK because they are so much bigger.

If the thumbs up gets taken away I'll give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

It didn’t stop any actual terrorist of course.

Do we know that for sure?

I’d imagine it made it quite a bit more difficult and a helluva lot more expensive to get your hands on weapons.

Now that may not have stopped the IRA, but it likely slowed them down. And it almost definitely deterred some young folk who would have loved the glory of taking out a Brit but weren’t actually in any group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Do we know that for sure?

I’d imagine it made it quite a bit more difficult and a helluva lot more expensive to get your hands on weapons.

Now that may not have stopped the IRA, but it likely slowed them down. And it almost definitely deterred some young folk who would have loved the glory of taking out a Brit but weren’t actually in any group.

Well, legislation on firearms did prevent another Dunblane massacre happening. Similar for Australia. So yep you're gonna get bombers but spree shootings have been eradicated in the UK and Australia.

I really don't like that the okay hand gesture has been hijacked.
    Unfortunately this could mean a regular unknowing person gets attacked by Antifa or some other violent group that think this meme is a real thing.

On topic, there are many similarities between Breivik's attack 2011 and this guy.
    I hope it's not a start of lone-wolf "revenge" attacks

batgoat wrote: »
    Well, legislation on firearms did prevent another Dunblane massacre happening. Similar for Australia. So yep you're gonna get bombers but spree shootings have been eradicated in the UK and Australia.

Not true. The Cumbria Shootings . Derrick Bird killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England in 2010.

batgoat wrote: »

TBH I think they were so rare in the UK and Australia, it's very hard to state that gun control eradicated them.

Well we know for a fact it didn't eradicate them in the UK.

The culture unlike other countries just didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Pewdiepie is an ethnonationalist. He hates non-whites and dog whistles to people who are on the verge of genocide. In light of this attack, the phrase 'subscribe to pewdiepie' must be considered a call to violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Even just by reading the messages here he's actually achieving what he wanted in his mainfesto. He set out to cause division. He picked assault rifles so as to link in the US into the discussion. He hand picked names PewDiePie or whatever his name's is, wrote right wing 'martyrs' on his weapons so as to drag both sides into the argument. He chose NZ as it was a soft target and to show nowhere is safe. He live-streamed himself. He then gave himself up without a fight even though he had two more live weapons in his car so he could sit back and enjoy the sh*tstorm. By dragging people through the sh*t and pitting them against each other, causing division, hes achieving exactly what he set out to achieve.

Delighted they blurred his face. They should throw him in a hole and let the world forget about him. Wipe his name from the records.

One other thing, can they handcuff these f*ckers from behind. Apparently he gave some right wing salute in court. Brevik did the same . Handcuff their hands behind their backs ffs. Do not give them more of a platform.

Advertisement