Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

monreader wrote: »
    I can use it fine and I live only 2 minutes away from the smaller mosque that was shot up.

A few years I tried signing in when I was in the UK and I wan't able to.

I remember a message that I was blocked for geographical reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Omackeral wrote: »
    lbc2019 wrote: »
    Some of these posts what a haven for far right hate speech boards has become

Where? I'm reading this at 9:15 and haven't seen any far right posts on this thread. Maybe they were scrubbed but as of now all I see is condemnantion of a cowardly terror attack.
    They've been scrubbed, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

You two AND lbc. Leave it out. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt you didnt see my mod warning. I wont if it continues.

Sorry, I replied to the post when I read it. The warning came just after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This will greatly speed up the criminalization of the criticism of Islam.

There should be no rule for one, and none for the others. The media would tolerate that but society wouldn't in time. You cannot blame this on those you mentioned, as much as people blame violence on computer games etc.
    These cretins (the perpetrators) should be dealt with in the harshest way possible. They've murdered innocent human beings and endangered countless more (Christian/Muslim/et all).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shocking rip to victims.
    No doubt it will turn out out to lone wolf attack by some head case radicalised on the internet.
    As it stands from what I've read there are three in custody and there may be more out there. It was a multi pronged targeted attack by a group, not a lone wolf nutcase. A lone nutcase would be somehow more "comforting", appealing as that sounds at first read.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I don't recall any major terrorist attacks in NZ prior to this. Just shows that no where is safe.

Killed for saying their prayers.

:(

RIP

Apologies.

No need. You did nothing wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Shocking news RIP to the victims .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Killed for saying their prayers.

:(

RIP
    Sums up the foul nature of this cowardly act perfectly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

****ing hell man, that is absolutely insane...

49 dead...

Are the photos and videos from the live stream still on the internet are have they been blocked?

I don't want my kids or my sister's kids being shown anything in school on some idiot child's phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Are the photos and videos from the live stream still on the internet are have they been blocked?

I don't want my kids or my sister's kids being shown anything in school on some idiot child's phone.

Yeah there still up on some websites, may not be too easy for young kids to find although the audio is on YouTube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Still available they will see them unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On a now-deleted Twitter account, Tarrant posted multiple photos of what appear to be machine gun magazines and a link to what is being described as a manifesto for his actions.

The 74-page document starts off quoting a Dylan Thomas poem, Do not go gentle into that good night, and then moves onto a rant about white genocide.

Tarrant outlines his motivations: including to “create an atmosphere of fear” and to “incite violence” against Muslims while offering up autobiographical details.

Tarrant, an Australian citizen who is believed to come from the northern New South Wales town of Grafton, entitles his document ‘The Great Replacement’

The same Brevik type nonsense that has now made it into the mainstream unfortunately.

They are still available if you know where to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Absolutely, the twitterati are out in force using the "far right" label like confetti, when one of the countless islamist shootings occur, the far right tag is never used and excuses regarding American intervention in the mid east etc are thrown about

Congratulations on an excellent piece of whataboutery. 49 people whose bodies are barely cold and you're making with the moral equivalence already. 'countless islamist shootings', eh? Why is it so important to you to indulge in this nonsense, unless at some level you sympathise with these people's repellent views. Why can't you just condemn this act of barbarism like a normal human being, ffs?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    ****ing Aussies.

You see the irony in that phrase, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gringo180 wrote: »
    ****ing Aussies.

Woah woah woah there.

This guy does not represent more than about 17 australians. He may be a senator, but only got 17 votes to get in there (opponent was disqualified). His statement has been roundly and utterly condemned by all political sides in Australia. He has a history of being a racist, fascist, white supremacist - and his comments should only be taken in the light - to tar all Aussies with such views is vile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Still available they will see them unfortunately

Once on the internet always in the internet. Even if it could be scrubbed entirely many have already downloaded same to be reposted under different titles over the coming days and months. Best policy is for individuals to ignore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

batgoat wrote: »
    He doesn't clarify if he's Christian in his manifesto however he does have multiple pleas towards Christians including

"ASK YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD POPE URBAN II DO?"

Based on it, I would say he commited them under a guise of Christianity to maintain a white Christian society. Breivik did similar. A similar argument to most far right politicians in Europe at this point in time.(they're generally incredibly racist.)

So I'm up pretty up in the air on if they have any real strong feelings about Christianity.

Hmmmm....when Muslim terrorists were murdering people I never saw people doubt how truly Muslim they were ;)

Next people will want evidence of the terrorist saying a decade of the rosary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    ****ing hell man, that is absolutely insane...

49 dead...

It is, awful. Look at this plus all the sectarian church or mosque killings over the past decade, senseless. Achieves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Woah woah woah there.

This guy does not represent more than about 17 australians. He may be a senator, but only got 17 votes to get in there (opponent was disqualified). His statement has been roundly and utterly condemned by all political sides in Australia. He has a history of being a racist, fascist, white supremacist - and his comments should only be taken in the light - to tar all Aussies with such views is vile.

Apologies. Tongue in cheek comment.

batgoat wrote: »
    He doesn't clarify if he's Christian in his manifesto however he does have multiple pleas towards Christians including

"ASK YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD POPE URBAN II DO?"

Based on it, I would say he commited them under a guise of Christianity to maintain a white Christian society. Breivik did similar. A similar argument to most far right politicians in Europe at this point in time.(they're generally incredibly racist.)

So I'm up pretty up in the air on if they have any real strong feelings about Christianity.

The answer to that question is "order the first crusade on Muslims". It's a stretch to say it's a Christian attack, and if it were motivated by it, there would be more to it than that.
    If you look at it as if you were living in a Muslim country and it was on the news that he was emulating a pope it would seem like it was religiously motivated. Perception, right or wrong, can play a role. It's like propaganda.

Condemnation is important

Yeah there still up on some websites, may not be too easy for young kids to find although the audio is on YouTube.

That has me worried. Most kids can navigate the internet better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

If there that proficient they’ll have seen worse already, plenty of disgusting stuff out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

a60c8740d22b82f318cda1736a0008e5.png

He enjoyed his time in Pakistan, not so much his time in France.
    His main gripe seemed to be immigration not religion or race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just saw the video.

Pretty disgusting.

An absolute psychopath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If it has you worried, talk to your kids and explain the situation to them and why they shouldn't watch the videos if someone goes to show it to them. If they do see it, at least talking to them will help them to process it.

Advertisement