Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I think it's fair to say that Christian terrorists attacked the mosque.

Did the attackers make any reference to Christianity or claim to be acting because of religious beliefs?

If they did then it is as fair to call them Christian terrorists as it is to use the phrases Muslim/Islamic terrorists.

These people who do these things are not actually Christians or Muslims anymore than the IRA or UDF are Catholic or Protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

The streets are so eerie here tonight. Its been a sad day for the city. Kia Kaha Otautahi!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I fear also people like Sam Harris , Majid Nawaz etc will be partly blamed for this.
    Anyone remotely critical of Islam will be at the end of ire over this.

This will greatly speed up the criminalization of the criticism of Islam.

The internet has become the sewer of humanity. :(

Yes but it was not Berners-Lee who did that.

It is the fault of all of for letting it become a sewer with all the trolling, nastiness, celebrity ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

There is radicalisation happening via the internet for certain. Both left and right. It has been going on for a long time. This murderer's manifesto was a combination of extreme Nazism and Marxism, and he claimed influences from both. Kill All Normies is a good introductory book to the world of the Chans and online hate cults. Both are equally savage. I have encountered a person who was deeply influenced by terrible people online. He lives in an isolated rural place, and is psychiatrically unwell. He has been in touch with extremists based in Scandinavia via the web, which has been reported to authorities. He cannot be the only one as I don't know that many people and yet I know one such. It is not left or right, it is sick hate that crosses all political boundaries, there is no reasoning behind it, it attracts the psychotic, the unwell and the feeble minded. Trying to point score on this thread on the back of a massacre is obnoxious.

• Advertisement

monreader wrote: »
    The streets are so eerie here tonight. Its been a sad day for the city. Kia Kaha Otautahi!

You in Christchurch?

I didn't know this forum could be used outside Ireland.

You in Christchurch?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Motherf*cker. Specifically chose NZ to show that no where in the world is safe. After attacking the mosques he drove around firing out his windscreen.
    What an absolute cretin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Did the attackers make any reference to Christianity or claim to be acting because of religious beliefs?

If they did then it is as fair to call them Christian terrorists as it is to use the phrases Muslim/Islamic terrorists.

These people who do these things are not actually Christians or Muslims anymore than the IRA or UDF are Catholic or Protestants.
    He doesn't clarify if he's Christian in his manifesto however he does have multiple pleas towards Christians including

"ASK YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD POPE URBAN II DO?"

Based on it, I would say he commited them under a guise of Christianity to maintain a white Christian society. Breivik did similar. A similar argument to most far right politicians in Europe at this point in time.(they're generally incredibly racist.)

So I'm up pretty up in the air on if they have any real strong feelings about Christianity.

Yes but it was Berners-Lee who did that.

It is the fault of all of for letting it become a sewer with all the trolling, nastiness, celebrity ****e.

How was it his fault?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

You in Christchurch?

I can use it fine and I live only 2 minutes away from the smaller mosque that was shot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Some of these posts what a haven for far right hate speech boards has become

How was it his fault?

I mistyped. Corrected it.

I was saying that it is not his fault in response to an earlier post asking how he feels this morning,

He is not responsible for anything on the Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Pope Urban the II launched the first crusade as a response to Islam encroaching on all fronts of a divided Christendom. I can understand why todays attackers want to link themselves with Urban II but the link the attacker proposes is not valid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I fear also people like Sam Harris , Majid Nawaz etc will be partly blamed for this.

Trial by Twitter will become even more emboldened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They have the internet on computers now

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

lbc2019 wrote: »

Mod

If you have a problem with posts, report them.

This isnt a thread for discussing far right hate speech on boards, so the above post is not helpful to this discussion.

Please stay on topic or dont post in this thread again. Your choice. Same goes for EVERYONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

In fairness to the Mods, they're being dealt with very efficiently this morning.

I mistakenly believed the site could only be used in Ireland.

It really is not that confusing.

batgoat wrote: »
    He doesn't clarify if he's Christian in his manifesto however he does have multiple pleas towards Christians including

"ASK YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD POPE URBAN II DO?"

Based on it, I would say he commited them under a guise of Christianity to maintain a white Christian society. Breivik did similar. A similar argument to most far right politicians in Europe at this point in time.(they're generally incredibly racist.)

So I'm up pretty up in the air on if they have any real strong feelings about Christianity.

The answer to that question is "order the first crusade on Muslims". It's a stretch to say it's a Christian attack, and if it were motivated by it, there would be more to it than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what are the gun laws in NZ? he seemed to have quite the arsenal
    Pretty liberal actually in terms of what you can own. You can have various type of guns but you have to go through a very thorough series of test and checks to prove you can justify the need / want for it.
    Rifle ranges are in decline unfortunately but pistol clubs are still very common and air guns and crossbows are totally unlicensed.

Can you clarify ?
    which posts exactly ?
    I think you may be mis interpreting them if you include my posts in that.

I mistakenly believed the site could only be used in Ireland.

It really is not that confusing.

Apologies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

An unbelievably savage and cowardly act. The animal scum had the gall to describe it as a "firefight". Oh so mowing down unarmed innocent men women and children is a firefight now? Being flayed alive in a public square is too good for scum like this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Shocking rip to victims.
    No doubt it will turn out out to lone wolf attack by some head case radicalised on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where? I'm reading this at 9:15 and haven't seen any far right posts on this thread. Maybe they were scrubbed but as of now all I see is condemnantion of a cowardly terror attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Can you clarify ?
    which posts exactly ?
    I think you may be mis interpreting them if you include my posts in that.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Where? I'm reading this at 9:15 and haven't seen any far right posts on this thread. Maybe they were scrubbed but as of now all I see is condemnantion of a cowardly terror attack.

Mod

You two AND lbc. Leave it out. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt you didnt see my mod warning. I wont if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolutely, the twitterati are out in force using the "far right" label like confetti, when one of the countless islamist shootings occur, the far right tag is never used and excuses regarding American intervention in the mid east etc are thrown about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

His point isn't wrong, though.

One can't argue against Trump Jr's tweet.
    "Don’t give the POS NZ shooter what he wants. Don’t speak his name don’t show the footage. Seems that most agree on that. The questions is can the media do what’s right and pass up the ratings they’ll get by doing the opposite? I fear we all know the answer unfortunately.. "

The only time I can recall that the media self-censored and refused to give the shooter publicity was when it was one of their own reporters was killed. We make mass shooters some of the most famous people in history.

Funny though, how that position seems to reverse when it's Islamist terrorism or brown people killing white people. As a matter of simple fact, Don Jr. is a vile piece of human excrement, and I find your whole considered, dispassionate, chin-stroking approach to this nauseating. I suppose you considered that even the slightest hint of condemnation from yourself would be superfluous, did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

batgoat wrote: »

That right there tells you all you need to know about these people.

Advertisement