Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Britain has very strict gun control laws, and terrorists just kill people with knives, vans and homemade bombs.

The fundamental issue is the role of Islam in western society. Do they want to assimilate and accept our values or continue to drive a wedge between us?

I'm sorry, are you actually attempting to blame Islam for a white Australian man committing mass murder while his victims were praying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Britain has very strict gun control laws, and terrorists just kill people with knives, vans and homemade bombs.

The fundamental issue is the role of Islam in western society. Do they want to assimilate and accept our values or continue to drive a wedge between us?

Terrorist shoot up two mosques and kill dozens of people and you want to blame muslims for driving a wedge in society?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

The video just got sent to me via Whatsapp now which means it must be with the general populous because I never receive these things. It's like the crash in Finglas there last month where the person was horrifically killed. Crazy that someone can circulate these things. Imagine learning a loved one got shot dead, and then learning that half the world is gratifying some sick part of their brain by watching it.

Edit: nope I didn't watch it - the sender was beside me when they sent it, so that's how I know what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I'm sure I did,

They were lone wolves that didn't represent Islam a religion of peace.
    Just like that head case in NZ doesn't represent Christianity

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TallGlass wrote: »
    What was this terroist reasons for going after unarmed people?

Then to record it.

To instill fear and violence, to promote chaos, hatred and the erradication of the 'invasion' of his country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I just went on to Facebook and had a look at 7 news Australia's post about the shooting and sweet jesus, the amount of people with real profile pics of them and their kids saying things like "finally someone had the guts to level the playing field for once" and "I wish it happened here, we need to thin out the HORDE" (notice the change of herd to hoarde)

And these are just regular people, jumping for joy at a mass killing like it should be celebrated. It says one thing about humanity and social media, no amount of happy smile selfies with your daughter on graduation day can hide the utter contempt for basic empathy these people must have. I'd be ashamed of myself for posting something remotely like that anonymously yet a principal of a school in Brisbane sees no problem in condoning terrorism...

May they RIP and may the attackers burn in hell for eternity if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

demfad wrote: »
    Modern right wing especially since the big-tech age has been pushing towards extreme nationalism and in the US/UK white supremacy.
    Fascism is back in play.
    Concerned citizens reaction to protect minorities is not an 'obsession'. It is just what right minded people would do.

Both left and right fringes are veering sharply in to totalitarian beliefs once more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I read on the Indo there. He is saying his parents are from Ireland, Scotland and England. Yet he is apparently saying these people he killed are invading his land as they are immigrants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I read on the Indo there. He is saying his parents are from Ireland, Scotland and England. Yet he is apparently saying these people he killed are invading his land as they are immigrants?

I wouldn't try read too much into any of his reasoning. A pure coward who sadly took 49 with him just to fulfill some sick twisted fantasy.

If you are white and you live in a different country you are an expat.

If you are any shade of black or brown, you are an immigrant.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Both left and right fringes are veering sharply in to totalitarian beliefs once more.

Isn't that what the fringes of beliefs have always been though - the further from centre you are the more extreme and tribalist you become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

callous disregard for human life. Shows the danger of that the Far Right poses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Australian senator after throwing petrol on the flames with his speech. Basically said 'what do muslims expect, they're normally the perpetrators.'

Das Reich wrote: »
    When they killed coptes in Egypt there was many mulsim people celebrating. All the bad things they did one day will go back to them.

Wasn't that debunked as being a bunch of muslims celebrating some sporting event, but shared by right wing fascist bots as what you want it to have been?

KikiLaRue wrote: »

Most expats I know are Indian.

By definition an expat is not an immigrant. That is why they are an ex pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I wouldn't try read too much into any of his reasoning. A pure coward who sadly took 49 with him just to fulfill some sick twisted fantasy.

Doesn't seem like he was all there to begin with if you ask me. If you've that much time in the day to write up 79 or so pages and get upset so much and plan for going to shoot unarmed people. You don't have a life. I wonder if there are others in this with him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Isn't that what the fringes of beliefs have always been though - the further from centre you are the more extreme and tribalist you become.
    Yeah Mitch, but in the last few years opinion on all sides has tended more towards the more extreme and tribalist. This is very evident online. Take the decline of forums in favour of WhatsApp, Facebook, reddit et al. Forums are linear and back and forth and you get to see other opinions, bad, good or indifferent, whether you want to or not. In the newer arenas you get far more partisan opinions and rarely see any contrary positions. That's not good no matter what one's beliefs are. It gives the true believers even the insane radicals the idea that "everyone" agrees with them, except for "enemies". Scary times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Wasn't that debunked as being a bunch of muslims celebrating some sporting event, but shared by right wing fascist bots as what you want it to have been?

No. I did read the comments and the profiles on facebook it looked real.

Das Reich wrote: »
    No. I did read the comments and the profiles on facebook it looked real.

Cool username b t dubs...

So, assuming that was true (still very much in doubt)... you're saying these Muslims deserved to be shot dead for the crimes of some other Muslims on the other side of the world...?

Most expats I know are Indian.

By definition an expat is not an immigrant. That is why they are an ex pat.

What? an ex-pat is an immigrant. its just what term you want to use.

How do you define the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah Mitch, but in the last few years opinion on all sides has tended more towards the more extreme and tribalist. This is very evident online. Take the decline of forums in favour of WhatsApp, Facebook, reddit et al. Forums are linear and back and forth and you get to see other opinions, bad, good or indifferent, whether you want to or not. In the newer arenas you get far more partisan opinions and rarely see any contrary positions. That's not good no matter what one's beliefs are. It gives the true believers even the insane radicals the idea that "everyone" agrees with them, except for "enemies". Scary times.

Even forums can be abused but mainly from the mods own political bias. At the moment a gaming/culture forum is banning people who are asking how this has anything to do with PewDiePie.

The danger of not having a contrary opinion is the echo chamber that reenforces bad opinions but also drives allot of division as contrary opinion is punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Doesn't seem like he was all there to begin with if you ask me. If you've that much time in the day to write up 79 or so pages and get upset so much and plan for going to shoot unarmed people. You don't have a life. I wonder if there are others in this with him.

But that's the nature of all the people who commit these kinds of attacks.

The profiles of terrorists, whether they're anti government, Islamic, neo-fascist, tend to be quite similar. Men with low social cachet who want to feel powerful and need a target for the hate they feel, born of their own inadequacy.

The techniques used to radicalise men online by far right groups are similar to the ones deployed by IS. Their beliefs - anti-women, anti-modernity, honour-based values and violence, align quite closely as well.

The flavour of their creeds differ but the nuts and bolts are pretty much the same.

Jesus Christ the inanity. There is nothing in this world that tells me more about a person than when they say this exact shlte.

An expat doesn't plan for his grandchildren to study in that country, an immigrant does. It's got nothing to do with skin, it just so happens that more white people have the opportunity to drop a life in one place and start one somewhere else for however many years.

I work with a "brown-skinned" Irani, and am friends with "black" Africans and Afghanis, and we are definitely all expats.

Wibbs wrote: »
    THe online world is nasty for it though, and twitter etc are a problem because of the echo chamber nature.

I would be left leaning (but would have right wing views on some things). Most people I follow would be leftest I suppose. What happens is some right wing nut job will post something wild, the left will retweet it as "look at this freaking moron" and that viewpoint becomes seen as the view point of the right.

The same happens the other way - left wing nut job rubbish is shared as a left viewpoint on the right.

The views of the centre and moderate do not generate the clicks or comments - the extremes do and it shapes how each side views the other.

The fringes seem bigger now or have more traction.

Jesus Christ the inanity. There is nothing in this world that tells me more about a person than when they say this exact shlte.

An expat doesn't plan for his grandchildren to study in that country, an immigrant does. It's got nothing to do with skin, it just so happens that more white people have the opportunity to drop a life in one place and start one somewhere else for however many years.

I work with a "brown-skinned" Irani, and am friends with "black" Africans and Afghanis, and we are definitely all expats.

expat -
    a person who lives outside their native country.
    denoting or relating to a person living outside their native country.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Cool username b t dubs...

So, assuming that was true (still very much in doubt)... you're saying these Muslims deserved to be shot dead for the crimes of some other Muslims on the other side of the world...?

This mantra is common by white leftists, trying to changings other people words. What I said is that those kinds of attacks happens everyday on their countries.

It is like they do not understand what an ex pat is.

I suppose it is obvious they do not not.

It is a pet peeve of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Lowest of the low attacking people in their place of worship

Is it? I don't see how it's any more despicable than attacking people innocently going about their daily lives.

• Advertisement

It is like they do not understand what an ex pat is.

I suppose it is obvious they do not not.

It is a pet peeve of mine.

No, its like they don't agree with your narrow, arguably incorrect, definition of it.

Advertisement