Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CIP4 wrote: »
    Thinking about it though I can't really think of any cars that have as good a performance as the GTI that would equal/better the running costs.

Quoted for posterity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'd say Tossy's car has about another 150bhp and another 2 wheels to put it down over a Gti. Effectively another Audi A4 :)

As I said in the post above I think the R is a fantastic car and on another level to the GTI. The 4 wheel drive would be nice as even in the GTI wheel spin can be an issue.

However I personally don’t look at car as being better because it has more power. I liked my A4 even though it was only 150bhp, I liked the Megane I had and that was only 90 bhp. I would just look at so many things other than just power when judging a car.

I have driven stuff 300-400bhp but the funnest most impressive car I have ever driven was a 197 Clio on the Nurburgring it wasn’t quick at all actually slower than I expected but the handling was plain unbelievable you could just drive it as hard as it would go around every bend and it would t budge in other words the handling exceeded the power. For me it just made the car epic to drive the feeling you were getting everything it had to give. I drove faster cars around the track and they didn’t come close to it and I wasn’t the only person on the trip to say that either.

OSI wrote: »
    Easy to say when you’re not putting 200 quid a week of petrol into it :p

Well I do the guts of 30k km a year so however much fuel that equates to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I do the guts of 30k km a year so however much fuel that equates to.

Roughly €3350 a year. Well that's how much it would cost me if I drove 30k km a year. Yours is more or less depending on how much mpg you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd double that if it were me, I could only drive it like I stole it..,

• Advertisement

Roughly €3350 a year. Well that's how much it would cost me if I drove 30k km a year. Yours is more or less depending on how much mpg you get.

Yes I am not prepared to do that calculation :pac: the thing about it is though in my case anyway depreciation would be the biggest cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Thinking about it though I can't really think of any cars that have as good a performance as the GTI that would equal/better the running costs.

So in other words I will probably hold onto it for another while :pac:

'Running Costs' is such an ephemeral figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Had the pleasure of driving in front of a car today that has those LED lights that adapt their pattern around traffic. Seriously impressive tech. I had to check my own lights weren't on full beam a few times with cars coming towards me as the road was so well lit, and that's from the car behind me. My car has decent headlights, but lighting up the hedges beside oncoming traffic really helps more than I thought it would.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of driving in front of a car today that has those LED lights that adapt their pattern around traffic. Seriously impressive tech. I had to check my own lights weren't on full beam a few times with cars coming towards me as the road was so well lit, and that's from the car behind me. My car has decent headlights, but lighting up the hedges beside oncoming traffic really helps more than I thought it would.

You should have the same on your car albeit Xenon rather than LED. When I put mine to "auto" and engage the adaptive lights it lights up the hedges etc. and when it notices an oncoming car it dims the right headlight which comes back on after the oncoming car is gone.

Having the lights on "auto" means that the beam turns with the steering wheel but the adaptive lights are another nugget on top of that.

On the side of your indicator stalk, do you have 2 small buttons or 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

No I don't have that option, just the basic lights. The car behind me though had an excellent version of it. It looked like a G series BM, couldn't tell if it was a 3 or a 5. It was trimming the lights perfectly around me and other cars.

• Advertisement

Yeah, mine will put kind of a black spot on a car ahead of me and light up the hedge and the other side of the road. Basically I can have my headlights on and it won't affect the car ahead or oncoming cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭kirving

Originally, the Xenon projectors I think would either turn the right headlight left/down, or more basic systems would shut one or both lights off.

I think most of the existing LED systems are say 7-40 segments, so they can blank off vertical stripes of light to avoid blinding other drivers.

The latest LED headlights are more akin to a digital projector, with over 1M pixels, so they can black out multiple squares and, and also brighten other area by overdriving the LED for short time periods to say highlight a road sign or a pedestrian.

Originally, the Xenon projectors I think would either turn the right headlight left/down.

I get what you're saying but that's not what happens on mine anyway. You can see it when it happens and it's like it blocks off a section of the light and then restores it. The beam doesn't actually move.

EDIT: I just read up on it and when it "blocks a section" it actually just switches to low beam automatically.

Here's a video on how the LEDs work. It's similar to how the Xenons work but obviously the LEDs are better

And for clarification:

Adaptive headlights: turns the beam as you go around corners
    High-Beam Assist: turns high-beam on and off depending on traffic in front of you
    Anti-Glare High-Beam Assist: splits the high beam around traffic (as per video)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Any Limerick folk have recommendations for a good car valeter in town? Need to have a seat washed and interior cleaned after two random dogs jumped into my car today. This actually happened!

Ideally I can leave the car with whilst at work and not have to pay for parking on top. For that reason, the valeters in AQ aren't an option. Parking in AQ for the day is €16

James MX Valeting for sure. He’s mobile and he’s on here - JAMES VTI S

This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

Keep it clean, be nice and helpful.

Motors charter applies.

Round 11 is HERE

Thanks, ideally it would be someone with a premises in town though so I can leave the car there tomorrow while I'm in work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How the hell did you end up quoting the first post in the thread.

I thought there was anew Motors Chat thread and had to quickly look at post number.

I thought there was anew Motors Chat thread and had to quickly look at post number.

No idea how that happened, must be a glitch in the Matrix

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

01-cat-at-the-computer-keyboard.jpg:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

eljono wrote: »
    Thanks, ideally it would be someone with a premises in town though so I can leave the car there tomorrow while I'm in work

Where do you normally park when you're in work?

• Advertisement

Where do you normally park when you're in work?

I don't usually drive into town, but when I do I leave it in Barrington's carpark.

Dropped the car with the guys in Thomas Street carpark this morning, will collect later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Just watched Framing John Delorean - worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eljono wrote: »
    Any Limerick folk have recommendations for a good car valeter in town? Need to have a seat washed and interior cleaned after two random dogs jumped into my car today. This actually happened!

Ideally I can leave the car with whilst at work and not have to pay for parking on top. For that reason, the valeters in AQ aren't an option. Parking in AQ for the day is €16

Car valeting place up beside griffins funeral home. They have a huge car park too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Car valeting place up beside griffins funeral home. They have a huge car park too.

That's good to know, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Got four new tyres on the car yesterday. Went cheap and cheerful, some kind of Kumho just to see what all the fuss is about with cheap tyres :pac:

I want to NCT the car shortly and get it up for sale so I didnt want to invest a huge amount into it, these worked out at €60 each. I also didnt want to be driving long distances November and December with 2.0mm tread depth all round.

Have done 130kms with them, so experience is limited so far. They feel as adequate as the very very well worn Michelins that came off it in terms of grip. The road noise is on another planet though, wasnt really expecting that but very noticable on the motorway.

I also haven't washed the car is around 3000kms.

20191108-081657.jpg
    upload image

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kumho’s are far from ditchfinders

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Kumho’s are far from ditchfinders

That's true, I wouldn't be into any of the budget budget tyres like Linglongs or Happygallops or whatever but that model Kumho was the cheapest recognisable brand name available to me in 205/55/16.

I put two sets of Bridgestone Turanzas on my Civic and had a set on the Celica before that, all in 205/55/16 and always found them good for the driving I do. Just curious to see how the Kunhos compare.

I had Kumhos on my MPS and I found them very good. They wore quickly though but that's what happens with a sticky tyre especially with 4WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I had Ecsta Sport on my fwd A5, not bad tires, but noisy and a lot of wheel spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've had barum tyres on a few jallopys and found them very good for the price. Also have vredesteins and I was happy with them too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement