Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

While the Golf is a good all round car. I find the boot annoyingly small. Was away at the weekend 1 medium suit case, a sports bag, a laptop bag and a small bag I keep a few car essentials in and the boot was full at that. I am collecting family from the airport next week and I don't know what I am going to do as I know for a fact they will have 2 large suitcases and 2 small ones along with other bags. I suppose its not like the other hatchbacks in the range have much more space. Miss the saloon for the space anyway.

A golf is no Octavia :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    While the Golf is a good all round car. I find the boot annoyingly small. Was away at the weekend 1 medium suit case, a sports bag, a laptop bag and a small bag I keep a few car essentials in and the boot was full at that. I am collecting family from the airport next week and I don't know what I am going to do as I know for a fact they will have 2 large suitcases and 2 small ones along with other bags. I suppose its not like the other hatchbacks in the range have much more space. Miss the saloon for the space anyway.

Leave parcel shelf at home.....

Leave parcel shelf at home.....

Was thinking that alright and empty it out fully. Will be tight either way.

Was thinking that alright and empty it out fully. Will be tight either way.

Only option.... New car.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

moby2101 wrote: »
    The gesture control for radio has stopped working in the wife’s G30.

I’ve checked the sensor and it appears to be working ok.
    All of the correct options in settings etc are as they should be .

It’s due a service in a few weeks but I’d be Interested to know has anyone come across it?
    Try some interesting gestures
    I know if I were the dev behind this tech I'd include a few easter eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

The Dutch government announced today that the maximum speed limit will be lowered to 100 km/h next year (between 06:00-19:00). Nitrogen related emissions are the big news here and this is supposed to help.

I think I need to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can Tesla’s go faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

It hasn't been announced yet but I won't hold my breath :P

Lads query a guy I know is looking at buying a VW transporter around 2016 with a DSG. He was saying he heard horror stories that the dsg gearbox fitted to newer transporters is unreliable. Anyone know much or if there was a change to the gearbox around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Lads query a guy I know is looking at buying a VW transporter around 2016 with a DSG. He was saying he heard horror stories that the dsg gearbox fitted to newer transporters is unreliable. Anyone know much or if there was a change to the gearbox around then.

This your solution to the small boot?! Never knew you could get them with a DSG.

Interslice wrote: »
    This your solution to the small boot?! Never knew you could get them with a DSG.

4motion too....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

4motion too....

For donkeys years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

tossy wrote: »
    For donkeys years also.

Would love a 5 pot t4 syncro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They're no more or less reliable than anything else with a DSG box, you certainly dont see a particularly high volume of issues with them. The GVW rating is usually a little better on the DSG vans.

Interslice wrote: »

Drastic times call for drastic measures :pac:
    They're no more or less reliable than anything else with a DSG box, you certainly dont see a particularly high volume of issues with them. The GVW rating is usually a little better on the DSG vans.

Yes tbh I reckon any horror stories are coming from those that never seen a DSG service every 60K Km.

OSI wrote: »
    Gonna sound stupid for asking, but you did drop the floor right (as in the floor has 2 levels)? The Golf's boot is larger than most in that class, try a focus of similar age, fracking tiny.

No in the example above I didn't have the boot dropped. I always have the floor raised as I have stuff stored between it and the spare tyre. Might try it with the floor dropped. Although for day to day stuff its handy having the floor raised to be level with the lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The variable floor in the Octavia is great, sometimes 610 litres is just too much so it’s handy to be able to make it smaller :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Does mileage make much difference on trade in values on certain cars? We’ve a 162 BMW x5 with 95000 km on it and were thinking of changing some time next year. Nosing around different garages for ideas and a couple of guys said that the car is a lot more saleable when the mileage is under 100000km as lots of buyers would be frightened of much more and psychologically people consider 100k a cut off. They said that with higher mileage they would just sell into the trade rather than market it themselves and consequently would offer less. Sounded like rubbish to me at the time but maybe it’s a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the policy of the dealership. In order to resell the car on their forecourt mileage is probably one of the criteria. If they are selling it off to the trade then they will want to give you less for it.

Regarding mileage, in the big scheme of things 95k km is not huge mileage on a diesel car approaching 4 years old. People have always been funny about mileage, your average joe tends to correlate mileage with usage or condition and just assume lower mileage automatically means better condition. I think also that people forget that we know go off km rather than miles. They see 6 digits on the odometer whether it be km or miles and think it's high.

• Advertisement

Currently spinning about in a Mercedes c200, 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine... 48-volt mild hybrid thing.
    Under 200bhp .... A great drive. Engine is lovely and free raving... 4 cylinder so its not like the 3 cylinders that sound like you are killing them.

Hitting just about 40mpg. .... 9 speed auto.

My idea of a great all rounder 😍

carsfan2 wrote: »
    ..... Sounded like rubbish to me at the time but maybe it’s a thing?

My ole lad bought a 4 year old is300h with north of 100k kms on it from Lexus m50 (I forget the actual name of the place)..... I reckon it was borderline for them to retail or not.

In your example for some garages the x5 described might be borderline also. Although it sounds quite fresh and is no doubt minty so wouldnt unflatter a forecourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Augeo wrote: »
    Engine is lovely and free raving...

Where is this rave on? :pac: What is it a 90's theme club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does anyone know how long it would take a garage to diagnose a head gasket failure or cylinder crack failure?

Could I just drive up and have an answer on the spot/within the hour or would it take a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

farna_boy wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it would take a garage to diagnose a head gasket failure or cylinder crack failure?

Could I just drive up and have an answer on the spot/within the hour or would it take a few hours?

Depends on how they are going to diagnose it. If they have the leak detect kit where the liquid changes colour then it only takes a few minutes.

..... I'd not rock up at a garage without an appointment. If they've all ramps & mechanics busy they might well not be able to fit you in on the spot.

Sniff test as mentioned is quick.... Compression tests also quick.... But if the garage are otherwise occupied...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Need to find somewhere that can do a compression check id say. Would depend on access on how long it would take. An hours work if it's a handy petrol engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd always make an appointment.

Any decent garage will have work pre booked and wont be sitting waiting for work to arrive and for your own sake, when dealing with something like a potential cylinder head gasket failure, you want them to take a bit of time with the car and make a good judgement call as a misdiagnosis or "quick check" could be costly for you.

That said, if the failure is fairly advanced, the symptoms are much clearer. If in the early stages they can be trickier to confirm or may not be gasket failure at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

My car came with CF wing mirror covers. No idea if they are genuine, but guessing they are cheap ones from eBay as the lacquer had faded/hazed badly enough. I was considering buying new gloss black ones but doing a bit of a clean up on the car today decided to try the polishing machine on them. Thought if I wreck them no harm as they looked like shīt anyway. Looks like it did the trick though so happy days.

IMG-20191116-172821.jpg
    IMG-20191116-173832.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So I managed to break a slider pin on a spare caliper carrier I got to replace my seized one on the car. I'm guessing I'll have to drill what's left of the pin out as I can't get a grip on what's sticking out with a vice grips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement