Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Settle down there. Sixmilebridge and Clare have won All Irelands. They dont calve when they reach Croke Park.

We're going to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the last of the Waterford reps play this coming weekend

Junior Hurling- St Marys vs Castletown/Ballyagran (Limerick) in the Munster Junior QF in Fraher Field on Sunday 16th Nov. Winners face Carrick Davins (Tipp) in the Semi finals. With no Clare reps in this years competition the winners of the other QF go straight into the Munster final

Junior Football- Ballyduff Lower vs Croom (Limerick)in Bruff on Sunday 16th Nov. Winners face Mullinahone (Tipp) in the semi finals

How do people rate St Mary’s chances? Anyone at the county final, doesn’t appear to have been any report on here? Believe Dan Shanahan is in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Settle down there. Sixmilebridge and Clare have won All Irelands. They dont calve when they reach Croke Park.

Surprised they didn't fix the quarter for Croker so instead of the rolling hills of South Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In group B of the Munster league along with Kerry and Cork

Dates and venue TBC but its Kerry away and Cork at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In group B of the Munster league along with Kerry and Cork

Dates and venue TBC but its Kerry away and Cork at home
    Is this competition the same one as the old Waterford Crystal pre-season thing or something separate?

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is this competition the same one as the old Waterford Crystal pre-season thing or something separate?

Yeah but in a league format more so than knockout

Really only for the managers to look at the squad. Hoping we have a depleted squad for this with 2 club teams in the all Ireland series

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

National League fixtures should follow soon now.

National League fixtures should follow soon now.

id expect them by the end of this week

Looking forward to the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

also word on street is that the levies will be discussed and agreed on at tonights county board meeting?

If the clubs accept the board forcing an quantified, unspecificied levy for an unnamed period of time, then fck me, what chance do we have!?

Things i would like to know;

Has Walsh park been finalisted in terms of total cost =/- 5% ? If so how much?

it was initially sold to us as 3.9m, the latest i have heard it is closer to 11.0m.

( https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/waterford-have-2020-vision-for-walsh-park-468862.html )

What is the current committed to funds the board have at their disposal?

What is the gap?

What is the county board / COO Pat Flynns / Sean Michael O Regans plan to close this gap? i.e. fundraising, appointment of fully professional commercial director?

What are the public bodies funding?

After all of the above, how much do they need from the clubs?

I personally cannot understand the mentality of clubs in Waterford to allow the board get away with levies. Waterford must be the only county in history of GAA to levy / tax its clubs in such a manner ( correct me if i am wrong here ).

Why should i, you, any GAA member, GAA club or Joe public be expected to fundraise to subsidize the county boards development plans?

They have enough officers, well wishers and full time staff as it is, quite simply they are either up to doing the job without adversely impacting clubs or they are not.

People including local media are complicit in this farce and it needs to be called out and hard hard questions be asked? Where is the objectivity.

We havent a snowballs of having Walsh park ready for 2020, we havent a bob to pay for it.

Maybe im wrong and the whole lot will be done as was promised.

Or likely itll be a patch it up, paper over the cracks, its grand, lipstick on a pig effort for cheaper.

what do people really think of Levies / Walsh park?

Any report on the County Board meeting last night? Was there a vote on levies?
    I personally feel the levies are a disgrace. Clubs are struggling to stay afloat themselves yet are asked to bail out the county boards financial mismanagement. If a club overspends each year and build up a debt then they reduce their spending. Not start spending over a million a year on teams.
    However I wouldn't be surprised if the clubs passed it. Too many people in these meetings who are county board yes men. Also in every vote there are a least 10-12 ( if not more)county and divisional representatives who each have a vote. That's 20% of the vote. If some clubs back the county board and some clubs don't show up then it's very hard to win any vote against the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Any report on the County Board meeting last night? Was there a vote on levies?
    I personally feel the levies are a disgrace. Clubs are struggling to stay afloat themselves yet are asked to bail out the county boards financial mismanagement. If a club overspends each year and build up a debt then they reduce their spending. Not start spending over a million a year on teams.
    However I wouldn't be surprised if the clubs passed it. Too many people in these meetings who are county board yes men. Also in every vote there are a least 10-12 ( if not more)county and divisional representatives who each have a vote. That's 20% of the vote. If some clubs back the county board and some clubs don't show up then it's very hard to win any vote against the county board.

my understand was there was 70+ ppl there last night, to give some context, 8 were under 50 - including the top table.

and barely anyone under 30!

County board delegates are like the audience at live at three!!

the reality is unless clubs start sending objective competent people who understand how things work and whats happening in their own clubs then maybe therell be enough challenge to the board and some decent discussion not the status quo Rawmeysh.

also re your point to change anything you need a 2/3 majority. Based on the voting board + exec + munster council / central delegates hold about 30% of the vote, so change is downright impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

You'd be lucky to have one under thirty at a club meeting never mind intercounty

my understand was there was 70+ ppl there last night, to give some context, 8 were under 50 - including the top table.

and barely anyone under 30!

County board delegates are like the audience at live at three!!

the reality is unless clubs start sending objective competent people who understand how things work and whats happening in their own clubs then maybe therell be enough challenge to the board and some decent discussion not the status quo Rawmeysh.

also re your point to change anything you need a 2/3 majority. Based on the voting board + exec + munster council / central delegates hold about 30% of the vote, so change is downright impossible

Was there any vote/ discussion on levies?

Was there any vote/ discussion on levies?

what kind of vote are you expecting?

there was a vote held 18 months ago where it was agreed the levy would be in place same as previous.

not stated for how long, not stated for how much.

imo under no circumstances should clubs pay any levy. Or as it was re labelled under derek mcgraths regime, senior hurling training fund or equiv!

what kind of vote are you expecting?

there was a vote held 18 months ago where it was agreed the levy would be in place same as previous.

not stated for how long, not stated for how much.

imo under no circumstances should clubs pay any levy. Or as it was re labelled under derek mcgraths regime, senior hurling training fund or equiv!

Only going off a previous post which said there was going to be a vote on the levies.
    Ya as i said previously. Levies are a lazy and unjust way of the county board raising money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Only going off a previous post which said there was going to be a vote on the levies.
    Ya as i said previously. Levies are a lazy and unjust way of the county board raising money.

Can I ask an obvious question.......what is the value of the levy..?

Also does anyone have any idea what sum of money do the sponsors ie TQS provide. Are we taking €50,000/ €100,000/€200,000 or more...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

How do people rate St Mary’s chances? Anyone at the county final, doesn’t appear to have been any report on here? Believe Dan Shanahan is in charge

They’re a useful side, but partied pretty hard after the county final win. Always hard to know what the opposition are like in these competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Surprised they didn't fix the quarter for Croker so instead of the rolling hills of South Clare

They ought to have done. The Bridge might have come within 10 points of the Gunners. But no in all seriousness we know how this year will go. It ll be a Ballygunner v Ballyhale final and if Ballygunner perform they will win . But being Waterford and there being a degree of natural expectation around their high standard then it ll be dropped Hurley's in the parade time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Anyone making Live at Three references is in no position to scoff at others for being too old.

One league fixture confirmed anyway (Limerick fixtures are online)

Round 3- Sat 15th Feb 2020
    Limerick vs Waterford- Gaelic grounds 7pm

Other dates
    Round 1- W/E of 25th/26th Jan 20
    Round 2- W/E of 1/2 Feb 20
    Round 4- W/E of 22/23 Feb 20
    Round 5- 1st March

Cork, Galway, Tipp and Westmeath other teams in our group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

They wouldn't be as good as Ballinameela last year or Ardmore the year before. If they get over the Limerick champions then its away to the Tipp winners who I believe are Carrick Davins. I give them a reasonable chance of getting to a Munster final but it wont be easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

They wouldn't be as good as Ballinameela last year or Ardmore the year before. If they get over the Limerick champions then its away to the Tipp winners who I believe are Carrick Davins. I give them a reasonable chance of getting to a Munster final but it wont be easy

Davins would be strong for Tipperary junior championship winners compared to other years if St Mary’s get over the Limerick side

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Davins will surely be favourites for munster having dropped back to back years from tipperary senior hurling. A bit like ardmore a couple of years ago. they have no business being there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I see most other counties have there plaaying formats in place for next year, when will waterford board decide theres?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

What is the breakdown of the season ticket fee.
    Is it 50/50 GAA Headquarters/County Board?
    Just curious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Pairc Ui Rinn for the Ballygunner match. 2pm
    Nothing yet for Ballysaggart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Relhcstirt wrote: »

Munster Council in appropriate venue for the likely crowd shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Nothing yet for Ballysaggart.

I’d imagine Fermoy or Mallow as venues, yes they’re in Cork but would be no way considered local venues for Fr O’Neills. Probably closer to Ballysaggart actually

deiseach wrote: »
    Anyone making Live at Three references is in no position to scoff at others for being too old.

Fair!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can I ask an obvious question.......what is the value of the levy..?

Also does anyone have any idea what sum of money do the sponsors ie TQS provide. Are we taking €50,000/ €100,000/€200,000 or more...?

its based on x club (as opposed to by team) so it is disproportionate in the extreme, for eg. Ballysaggart will pay more then Tramore next year.

2000 per senior club per annum
    1500 per inter per annum
    1000 per junior per annum

at a quick glance it is worth around €92,500 per year x 5 years so nearly 500,000.

23 senior clubs, 29 intermediate and 3 junior - could have double counted some inter clubs....

and bear in mind you can borrow 3-4 times what you save, so theyll suck circa €2million out of waterford clubs over next few years.

so much for supporting clubs!

• Advertisement

Did Ballysaggart toss for venue if it's on in Fraher Field

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement