Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Be very silly if they did and subsequently lost. Never give away any advantage

How is it an advantage to Borrisoleigh? They don't play there regularly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PUC or Limerick for the Ballygunner game I'd say

Thurles could host the Ballysaggart one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭IanVW

Exactly game should be on in thurles!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wouldn't happen for obvious reasons but geographically nowlan park would be a perfect netural venue for ballygunner borrisoleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Are you serious. They played the semi and county final there over the past few weeks and Glen Rovers there today. Think about what you have said. Sure why not play it in Walsh Park, would that be an advantage to Ballygunner?

• Advertisement

cascade12 wrote: »
    Are you serious. They played the semi and county final there over the past few weeks and Glen Rovers there today. Think about what you have said. Sure why not play it in Walsh Park, would that be an advantage to Ballygunner?

Ballygunner won a Munster there last year, have played there a number of times the last few years. I really think these sort of advantages are overstated to be honest.

How many times have BG played in Walsh Park this year and every year? A lot more than Borrisoleigh have played in Thurles that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Ballygunner won a Munster there last year, have played there a number of times the last few years. I really think these sort of advantages are overstated to be honest.

How many times have BG played in Walsh Park this year and every year? A lot more than Borrisoleigh have played in Thurles that's for sure

In a Munster Final, Semple would be an advantage to Borris, Walsh Park would be for Ballygunner. Regardless, Ballygunner will beat them where ever it is. My opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I haven't seen much of Borrisoleigh bar the last 10 minutes of the Tipp county final. I assume they'll have a fair crack at Ballygunner though its hard to see them beating Ballygunner given how good they are at the moment. Stranger things have happened I suppose. Team to beat is still Ballyhale who seem to be flying again this year and of course they beat Ballygunner last year tho the gunners look to have upped it another notch or two again this year. If that's the AI final should be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to BG, they have a great chance of doing back to back Munsters now. Don’t think a Waterford club ever achieved that?
    What are the AI semi final pairings for this year, who do the Munster champions play?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well done to BG, they have a great chance of doing back to back Munsters now. Don’t think a Waterford club ever achieved that?
    What are the AI semi final pairings for this year, who do the Munster champions play?

Munster winners play Galway champs(St Thomas), a decent team aswell but I'd fancy Ballygunner to beat them. No Waterford team has won back to back Munsters tho Gunners and Mount Sion won consecutive titles for Waterford in 01/02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Wouldn't it be great if they played the Intermediate and Senior Munster Finals as a double bill, although I expect at this time of the year they might not play two games on the same pitch. I think the wide open spaces and good surface in Thurles would suit Ballygunner's skill set and style of play.

They should have been out of sight after 20 minutes today but there was an unusual level of carelessness in their play and when Patrickswell came back strongly before half time I was worried. However, they died without a whimper in the second half. Their county players didn't look interested. Going into the Munster Final, I hope Ballygunner appreciate just how poor Patrickswell were today.

Peter Hogan looked out of sorts today, but Dessie Hutchinson really looked the part. The player who really impressed me was Barry O'Sullivan whom I had written off years ago but whose improvement in the last two years has been marvellous to behold. I also like the cut of Paddy Leavy who is still only 19, I think.

How important has David Franks been in Ballygunner's great improvement in the last two years?

Anyone here that Liam Cahill is back talking with Noel Connors about a return to the panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Once again very impressed with Ballygunner yesterday. Coughlan has new lease of life out the field and agree with Giveitfong, very impressed with Barry Sullivan (my man of the match to be honest) . Actually that for me was what was most impressive, OK the big names like Pauric Mahony and particularly Dessie Hutchinson (who got four delightful points which he made look easy), delivered but the young lads like Sullivan, Leavy, Sheehan and Mikey Mahony, really stood up to the plate. Hogan was definitely carrying the leg and minding the hamstring - he looked to be a least a yard or two off his normal pace and felt they took a risk leaving him on so long. I have so say the way they work the ball and string opposing defences out across the filed is a joy to watch.

They recycle the ball in their back line waiting for the opening to appear, they always have willing runners and look to give the ball to the man in space. Sounds simple but involves huge levels of work, trust, discipline and honesty. Not saying they will win Munster or an All Ireland but I really think it is going to take a good performance from a good team to beat them.

When you look at how this team yesterday has evolved over the last 5 years from the team that started this championship run, full credit to them as a club.

One final word and that is for Shane O'Sullivan, he may be a limited hurler but by God does he lead by example, he stuck to Gillane like glue from the start yesterday and really frustrated him. When it comes to leaders on the field he has really delivered for Ballygunner more often then not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if they played the Intermediate and Senior Munster Finals as a double bill, although I expect at this time of the year they might not play two games on the same pitch. I think the wide open spaces and good surface in Thurles would suit Ballygunner's skill set and style of play.

They should have been out of sight after 20 minutes today but there was an unusual level of carelessness in their play and when Patrickswell came back strongly before half time I was worried. However, they died without a whimper in the second half. Their county players didn't look interested. Going into the Munster Final, I hope Ballygunner appreciate just how poor Patrickswell were today.

Peter Hogan looked out of sorts today, but Dessie Hutchinson really looked the part. The player who really impressed me was Barry O'Sullivan whom I had written off years ago but whose improvement in the last two years has been marvellous to behold. I also like the cut of Paddy Leavy who is still only 19, I think.

How important has David Franks been in Ballygunner's great improvement in the last two years?

Did you not see the amount of strapping on Hogan ; he was obviously carrying an injury from the previous week ; he wasn’t sharp as a result but got a good point in the 2nd half. Dessie seems like the business .... every possession resulted in a point and he also won a scoreable free. Likewise, I was very impressed with Barry O’Sullivan ... wonder what age he is. Leavy is only 18 (see today’s Irish Times).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

What's the story with Conor Power for Ballygunner? Is he not fancied any more or has he injury troubles? Would have thought he'd be on for Hogan if he was that injured or at least replaced him at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

colm parkinson podcast this week had some interesting comments on Mayo situation / governance at county board level etc.

What has gone on with our lot is as bad if not worse in some cases then Mayo.

worth a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/tadhg-morley-interview-gpa-student-report-ogaras-medals

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Borrisoleigh played their last 2 games there. Any other county in Munster wouldnt agree to play there except the soft touches from Waterford.

Supporters and the players from Ballygunner need to stay away from all this premature talk of All Ireland semi finals and concentrate on the munster final and retaining it. Borrisileigh are no soft touches by any means and beat Glen Rovers after have a week on the piss. Waterford (club and county) and the favourite tags are not the best combo. Looking forward to the game

The league fixtures are unusually late ???

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

also word on street is that the levies will be discussed and agreed on at tonights county board meeting?

If the clubs accept the board forcing an quantified, unspecificied levy for an unnamed period of time, then fck me, what chance do we have!?

Things i would like to know;

Has Walsh park been finalisted in terms of total cost =/- 5% ? If so how much?

it was initially sold to us as 3.9m, the latest i have heard it is closer to 11.0m.

( https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/waterford-have-2020-vision-for-walsh-park-468862.html )

What is the current committed to funds the board have at their disposal?

What is the gap?

What is the county board / COO Pat Flynns / Sean Michael O Regans plan to close this gap? i.e. fundraising, appointment of fully professional commercial director?

What are the public bodies funding?

After all of the above, how much do they need from the clubs?

I personally cannot understand the mentality of clubs in Waterford to allow the board get away with levies. Waterford must be the only county in history of GAA to levy / tax its clubs in such a manner ( correct me if i am wrong here ).

Why should i, you, any GAA member, GAA club or Joe public be expected to fundraise to subsidize the county boards development plans?

They have enough officers, well wishers and full time staff as it is, quite simply they are either up to doing the job without adversely impacting clubs or they are not.

People including local media are complicit in this farce and it needs to be called out and hard hard questions be asked? Where is the objectivity.

We havent a snowballs of having Walsh park ready for 2020, we havent a bob to pay for it.

Maybe im wrong and the whole lot will be done as was promised.

Or likely itll be a patch it up, paper over the cracks, its grand, lipstick on a pig effort for cheaper.

what do people really think of Levies / Walsh park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

What's the story with Conor Power for Ballygunner? Is he not fancied any more or has he injury troubles? Would have thought he'd be on for Hogan if he was that injured or at least replaced him at half time.

Injured in the warm up I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Fully agree on the levies, and headquarters should be building and fund this for Waterford even at 11m.

How much dod Cork overspend on their stadium?, and Galway won't/can't even pay for there AI tickets. :rolleyes:

But one thing that always gets me is the Irish fascination with unfinished or lopsided stadiums....

" At the city end, the proposal is to build a complex which will include dressing-rooms and the Waterford GAA offices. There will be no spectator access at this end of the ground."

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Borrisoleigh played their last 2 games there. Any other county in Munster wouldnt agree to play there except the soft touches from Waterford.

How many training sessions/games did Sixmilebridge have in the rolling hills of South Clare before Ballygunner bet them off the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Any confirmation of the likely venue for the Munster final....?

Frank Murphy’s Park would be the best neutral choice if the pitch is up to scratch.....other option would be Gaelic grounds or how about Croke Park...?

Road-Hog wrote: »

Frank Murphy’s Park would be the best neutral choice if the pitch is up to scratch.....other option would be Gaelic grounds or how about Croke Park...?

Pairc Ui Rinn could also be an option if PUC is out of contention

Crowd be a max 5000

I don't think PUC is available until the new year. It will likely be Pairc Ui Rinn, Id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Pairc Ui Rinn is hosting the football semi finals so I would think that rules out the hurling.

the last of the Waterford reps play this coming weekend

Junior Hurling- St Marys vs Castletown/Ballyagran (Limerick) in the Munster Junior QF in Fraher Field on Sunday 16th Nov. Winners face Carrick Davins (Tipp) in the Semi finals. With no Clare reps in this years competition the winners of the other QF go straight into the Munster final

Junior Football- Ballyduff Lower vs Croom (Limerick)in Bruff on Sunday 16th Nov. Winners face Mullinahone (Tipp) in the semi finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Road-Hog wrote: »

I think ballygunner offered to toss a coin for Walsh park or thurles if borriseleigh don't agree it's a cork venue

Motivator wrote: »
    Pairc Ui Rinn is hosting the football semi finals so I would think that rules out the hurling.

Its probably gonna be in Limerick then so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

How many training sessions/games did Sixmilebridge have in the rolling hills of South Clare before Ballygunner bet them off the park?

Settle down there. Sixmilebridge and Clare have won All Irelands. They dont calve when they reach Croke Park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement