Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

First of all I don't think the bad pitch was the main reason - Ballyhale were, and still probably are, a superior outfit.

If I recall correctly Ballyhale pushed up on short puck outs and forced O'Keeffe to play long ball which Ballyhale mopped up.

The same lack of ball winning ability, particularly in the forwards, which is a problem for Waterford hurling was also evidently an issue for Ballygunner. This is something which KK teams excel at.

Dessie Hutchinson is a potential game changer for Ballygunner however - he adds another dimension to their attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All 2pm starts for our Munster Championship games for 2020 with Walsh Park been our home venues against Tipp and Cork. We travel to Limerick and Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

PTH2009 wrote: »
    All 2pm starts for our Munster Championship games for 2020 with Walsh Park been our home venues against Tipp and Cork. We travel to Limerick and Clare

Can we assume they are all on a Sunday so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Will there be many waterford folk shouting for Borris-a-lee on Sunday.....? Mt Sion, De la Salle, passage, Roanmore, Lismore are running busses I hear.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster league fixtures

V cork in dungarvan 20th Dec at 7.30
    V Kerry in Austin stack park 5 Jan at 2pm

• Advertisement

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Can we assume they are all on a Sunday so!!

Yeah all sundays

https://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

prefer 3.30/4pm games myself as it gives more time to savour the championship atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Gas the amount of people talking about Ballygunner Ballyhale final already. Borris will be waiting in the long grass Sunday I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Gas the amount of people talking about Ballygunner Ballyhale final already. Borris will be waiting in the long grass Sunday I reckon

https://www.the42.ie/shane-osullivan-ballygunner-borris-ileigh-4900318-Nov2019/

Who's talking about it?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Will there be many waterford folk shouting for Borris-a-lee on Sunday.....? Mt Sion, De la Salle, passage, Roanmore, Lismore are running busses I hear.....

I'll support any Waterford team who are good enough to grace provincial/All Ireland level

As would a lot of Waterford GAA people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I'll support any Waterford team who are good enough to grace provincial/All Ireland level

Agreed, best of luck to Ballygunner, Ballysaggart and St Mary's this weekend.

• Advertisement

Exactly. They are representing Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I will support Ballygunner because they are from the East of the county.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

What are Ballysaggerts chances like. Fr O'Neills seem to be a very strong outfit?

St Marys semi final against Carrick Davins is tomorrow (Sat 23rd Nov) at 1pm in Clonmel

game a little lost in the shuffle with the 2 finals on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Neewollah wrote: »
    What are Ballysaggerts chances like. Fr O'Neills seem to be a very strong outfit?

Under pressure with injuries.

Former Waterford defender Aidan Kearney plays for St Marys now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

thesultan wrote: »
    Under pressure with injuries.

COnsidering there’s a 47 year old and 43 year old in the side it’s a fair ask to do what they’ve done already

Shane Stapleton not giving his club Borrislleigh much of a chance

https://youtu.be/qfAyNO5A6XY

St marys lead 1-9 to 0-6 half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Yes but I would think there are some whom wud like to see the ‘gunners’ go down........! 10 Munster finals over the years and only winning 2.....lost 3!by the slimmest of Margins.......tomorrow assuming the weather and pitch allowing the match to be played should be their third....?

• Advertisement

St Mary's win 1-13 to 0-14. Great result

Massive congrats

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/status/1198245675949023232?s=19

Three Munster club hurling finals for Waterford clubs not a bad return.

This the first time Waterford have been represented in all three Munster finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

brilliant win for st Mary's. 3 Waterford clubs in Munster finals is really good, hopefully all cam pull off the wins.

any word on ballysaggart injuries? I hear Shane Bennett is doubtful which would be a huge blow if he can't play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Huge win for St Mary's today. Well done to all involved. Dan must be going well.

Wlr were live for about 3 mins in the second half where Eoin Kearns got 2 vital points with 10mins approx to go after a shakey start to the second half. Disappointing that they didn't stay life for the final 10mins

How good would Russel rovers of Cork be in the final??

They got a bye into the final after Clare didn't put forward a representative in the semi final. They beat the Kerry Kilgarvan champs 2-21-1-11 in the QF

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Yes but I would think there are some whom wud like to see the ‘gunners’ go down........! 10 Munster finals over the years and only winning 2.....lost 3!by the slimmest of Margins.......tomorrow assuming the weather and pitch allowing the match to be played should be their third....?

Are they not representing Waterford!!
    As you said 10 Finals and 2 wins. Time to drive on do Waterford justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Great to have 3 Waterford clubs in Munster finals. I think our structure lends somewhat to success in these situations.
    Tipperary have 32 senior clubs, we have 12. So Ballysaggart are ranked at 13 if you like while Sean Treacy’s would be ranked 33 in Tipperary.
    St. Mary’s would be ranked 34th in Waterford technically while Carrick Davins would be 51st in Tipp.
    I think there was some strange scenario in Tipp before where teams had the option to join the senior ranks without winning the intermediate grade so that would possibly skew the ranking system, which in itself is not an overly reliable source.
    Russell Rovers, due to Cork having Senior, Premier Intermediate & Intermediate grades would be ranked as number 62 in Cork, without including the 8 divisional / college sides that can qualify for the senior championship also. So we have a case where the 34th best team in Waterford is up against the 62nd best team in Cork to be crowned Junior Munster Champions.
    Ballysaggart will be facing the team ranked 20th in Cork today in Fr. O’Neills.
    This is of course relative to the size of the county and number of clubs within the county. My numbers could be slightly off as this was done from looking at fixtures on county board websites. I’ve asked the Tipp & Cork lads here for confirmation.
    None of this applies to the Senior Munster Championship naturally enough.

Best of luck to Ballygunner and Ballysaggart today, here’s hoping for 2 Munster final victories!

Has to be said though we've seen unprecedented success in the last ten years too though so the standards must have improved in Junior/Intermediate in the last few years. And I guess that is reflected in the make up of lads representing County teams for the last number of years too.

• Advertisement

Ballysaggart losing 1-8 to 0-9 at half time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement