Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Anyone see Barry Coughlan's run that led up to Dessie Hutchs goal? Saw a twitter link posted on facebook somewhere. Poor defending but was some run and almost a goal that Aussie would have been in awe of.

Have you a link for it? I can't seem to find it on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hardybuck wrote: »
    At underage level, Waterford club sides would have won All Ireland U14 titles.

Ballygunner and Ballysaggart have a good shot at going all the way in there competitions but it's the teams from Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork etc who are just too good for our clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Happy to see the Ballygunner game live on Sunday

Must be mew Waterford gear on the way, massive sale in Azzurri atm for the current gear

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Have you a link for it? I can't seem to find it on Twitter

https://twitter.com/gaa_2019/status/1191363022595469312?s=21

• Advertisement

Got an email about season ticket renewal.

Any idea when national league fixtures get announced? Will be interesting to see what home and away games we get. Presumably all our home league games will be Walsh Park/Fraher Field. Championship still up in the air.
    Bit annoying signing up to a season ticket when you don't know where the games will be on. Like buying a ticket to see a show and it might be in the 3Arena or it might be in Cork Marquee.... still plenty of time I know.

Got an email about season ticket renewal.

Any idea when national league fixtures get announced? Will be interesting to see what home and away games we get. Presumably all our home league games will be Walsh Park/Fraher Field. Championship still up in the air.
    Bit annoying signing up to a season ticket when you don't know where the games will be on. Like buying a ticket to see a show and it might be in the 3Arena or it might be in Cork Marquee.... still plenty of time I know.

We had 3 home games in the league group stages this year (vs Offaly in Thurles was counted as a home game)

If going by that we have 2 home and 3 away in 2020. If we make the knockouts it will depend on how many home games our opponents had etc. New format for 2020 where top 3 only gets to the knockout stages (1st eaxh group into semis and 2nd/3rd each group the QFs, relegation playoff is 6th vs 6th )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

He showed pace, but my god that is horrific defending.

No wonder they got battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

hardybuck wrote: »
    Speed and physicality. Not just being hit, but continuously being hit, and hitting back, in a high tempo game at that level will be something you can't really prepare for.

Yea people need to calm down about him. Club and intercounty are completely different animals. He's definitely played himself into contention to get onto the extended panel but its his story coming from a soccer background is gathering peoples attention and increasing the expectation. He wouldn't be the first fellah to have a season tearing it up for the club but ultimately didn't have an impact with the county team. Let him develop with the club first and see where it goes from there

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Yea people need to calm down about him. Club and intercounty are completely different animals. He's definitely played himself into contention to get onto the extended panel but its his story coming from a soccer background is gathering peoples attention and increasing the expectation. He wouldn't be the first fellah to have a season tearing it up for the club but ultimately didn't have an impact with the county team. Let him develop with the club first and see where it goes from there[/quote

Agree, its a massive step up to county level and he'll do well if he manages to integrate and get a look in come championship.

In saying that and I keep harping in about it but we are lacking options in the forwards compared to Tipp, Kilkenny, Galway and Cork.

The loss of Shanahan and maybe Ryan doesn't help.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads, he'll be well able for the physical side of things. That much is apparent by the roasting he's giving backs to date in the club championships.

How sharp his hurling is will be the question but being part of an inter county setup should bring that on a lot. Hoping he can kick on at the highest level as we have a dearth of forwards.

We're well into November now so a provisional panel must be in place? Any news on additions or any more omissions? Presumably Moran is going to go another year as would have announced a retirement by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

We're well into November now so a provisional panel must be in place? Any news on additions or any more omissions? Presumably Moran is going to go another year as would have announced a retirement by now.

Eddie Hayden, Michael Kiely, Tom Barron, Seamus Keating, Kieran Power are in anyway plus 2 more but can't think of them. Only 2 dropped are Maurice and Noel plus the retirement of Brick afaik. There was a team meeting on Saturday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Quick word on Coughlan - I saw him score a wonder goal a couple of years ago in a championship match in Walsh Park following a very similar run (can't remember the opposition on the day, could have been Mt. Sion but not sure ) and i have to say over the last number of years always remember thinking that this lad has a lot more to his game than he is being encouraged to show. Yes it was horrible defending but he showed real pace, directness and calm awareness to flick the ball over the head of the full back and get a strike on goal (OK it wasn't the best strike) If
    one of the more profile inter-county hurlers had done that they would be falling over in praise.

Unfortunately when playing for Waterford he was encouraged to just spoil and go to ground at every opportunity - I still believe this lad has an awful lot more to his game and suffered more than most under the game plan employed during his time with the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

blueflame wrote: »
    Quick word on Coughlan - I saw him score a wonder goal a couple of years ago in a championship match in Walsh Park following a very similar run (can't remember the opposition on the day, could have been Mt. Sion but not sure ) and i have to say over the last number of years always remember thinking that this lad has a lot more to his game than he is being encouraged to show. Yes it was horrible defending but he showed real pace, directness and calm awareness to flick the ball over the head of the full back and get a strike on goal (OK it wasn't the best strike) If
    one of the more profile inter-county hurlers had done that they would be falling over in praise.

Unfortunately when playing for Waterford he was encouraged to just spoil and go to ground at every opportunity - I still believe this lad has an awful lot more to his game and suffered more than most under the game plan employed during his time with the county.
    Agree on most of what you say. But I would disagree that he suffered in his role as a full back for Waterford. I thought he was a very effective full back for us and still believe he is the best man for the job. Most of the best full backs over the years have been spoilers and he is excellent at that. From what I am hearing he could be the first choice full back again next year if he returns to the fold. I was also in Walsh Park that day and I have to agree it was one of the best goals I have ever seen.

I think that match was against De La Salle, if I remember correctly.

Eddie Hayden, Michael Kiely, Tom Barron, Seamus Keating, Kieran Power are in anyway plus 2 more but can't think of them. Only 2 dropped are Maurice and Noel plus the retirement of Brick afaik. There was a team meeting on Saturday evening
    I think Jack Fagan has also been added to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

But he hasn't a great strike of a ball in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Training Tuesday, Friday and Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Spare a thought for anyone who was picked in the forwards ,Christ there was some good hurlers ruined under Davy and Mc Grath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Have BG ever played Patrick’s well in the past in Munster club...? If so what was the result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Have BG ever played Patrick’s well in the past in Munster club...? If so what was the result

I Don't think so. I know they beat Mount Sion in 2003

Yeah 2009 Ballygunner won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Yeah 2009 Ballygunner won.

Couldn't have, Patrickswell didn't win the Limerick senior that year, possibly Adare you are thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Here are Patrickswell's results against Waterford teams (hat-tip to Stacksofwacks for showing me that I had omitted the 2002/3 season from my results archive).

results-v-patrickswell-up-to-4-november-2019-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Any word on any motions gone in re playing structures for the coming season?

Couldn't have, Patrickswell didn't win the Limerick senior that year, possibly Adare you are thinking of

Aplogies, must have been 2003 defeat for Mt Sion I'm thinking of. It was on in Limerick and I was there, was definitely Patrickswell that much I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Another post highlighting the state of the nation in terms of walkovers locally vs. national average vs. a comparative analysis vs the Waterford Junior league on 2018/2019 season;

To date in the county there has been 488 games played with 47 Walkovers from 14 different clubs (my own obviously as a lot of the goons on twitter were quick to point out a situation that was so easily avoidable) an overall 9.6% walkover rate in Waterford (nationally is circa 4%) so walkovers are a huge issue in this county, why?

288 Hurling Matches with 31 walkovers - 10.8%
    200 Football matches with 16 walkovers - 8%

So despite our chairman claiming football should go straight knock out, clearly hurling is proportionally a bigger issue?

Why are there walkovers being given?

Divisional championships are actually the biggest issues.

Western Junior Hurling 12.1% (7 walkovers from 58 games) & Eastern junior hurling 15% (15 walkovers from 80 games) the main drivers

- teams divided by Geography and not by ability it seems, these championships have seen some very lop sided results.

Other issues include the Western intermediate hurling league circa 10 walkovers with the final still not played - again Geography used as a divider and not ability.

Compare this to the 2018 / 2019 Waterford junior league season;

398 games played from Division 4B up to Premier with 13 walkovers (6 were drawn off at end of season) giving an overall result of 3.3% of walkovers.

So the rate of walkovers in GAA vs. Soccer locally is almost Treble. Why? Again Geog vs. Ability.

Local junior league clearly defines teams into leagues based on ability but yet locally the argument about teams having to travel gets bandied about? Its an issue in Soccer but not GAA?

Division 4B last year had Dungarvan, Abbeyside, Park Rangers, Dunmore and Mooncoin. 21 games played only 1 walkover. The arguement doesnt wash.

Back to the GAA;

Competitions still not completed - 7 in all i reckon.

Minor C Football, first game was in Feb 2019, semi final played in June 2019 and the final between Coise Bride and Ballyduff Upper is down for decision this Saturday in Cappaquin. Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

The Eastern intermediate hurling championship is still not completed! St Saviours have to face a relegation play off 2 weeks after they play munster club football! Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

Junior C football still rumbles on as does the Senior Football county league semi finals still not played!

Lastly was there a phelan cup and sargent cup this year?

The board led by our chairman will be on bashing social media ppl, "keyboard warriors" I wonder how many times these words will be uttered from the pulpit, but the real issues of the day, exactly as i have highlighted above to be addressed this coupled with previously highlighted plights of clubs merging and on the face of extinction.

Time to eliminate the divisional boards for once and all. It is as clear as day from the couple of hours it took me to pull this together they do not serve any purpose.

Maybe have divisional competitions in the summer or whatever when county is running.

This isnt an attack of board officers on social media

These are black and white facts from the Waterfordgaa.ie website.

*edit*
    Most of these walkovers are also games played in group stages where the loss of status is an issue to lower grade players, by also reviewing the regrade rule to county only for knock out championship this would significantly improve the situation as well as the aforementioned disposal of divisional boards

Did they not merge the phelan cup and Sargent cups with the league's a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Other issues include the Western intermediate hurling league circa 10 walkovers with the final still not played - again Geography used as a divider and not ability.

Compare this to the 2018 / 2019 Waterford junior league season;

398 games played from Division 4B up to Premier with 13 walkovers (6 were drawn off at end of season) giving an overall result of 3.3% of walkovers.

So the rate of walkovers in GAA vs. Soccer locally is almost Treble. Why? Again Geog vs. Ability.

Local junior league clearly defines teams into leagues based on ability but yet locally the argument about teams having to travel gets bandied about? Its an issue in Soccer but not GAA?

Back to the GAA;

Competitions still not completed - 7 in all i reckon.

Minor C Football, first game was in Feb 2019, semi final played in June 2019 and the final between Coise Bride and Ballyduff Upper is down for decision this Saturday in Cappaquin. Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

The Eastern intermediate hurling championship is still not completed! St Saviours have to face a relegation play off 2 weeks after they play munster club football! Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

Junior C football still rumbles on as does the Senior Football county league semi finals still not played!

Hard to compare soccer leagues with the GAA. Teams are grouped on ability in soccer leagues because of promotion and relegation. We have the same in our championship just not in our leagues. The state of the league competitions in Waterford is a disgrace. No one cares about them. They are just fixtures thrown in as an almost token gesture. I’d love to know over the years how many leagues have not been finished each year. This IS down to the county board. The league isn’t promoted. Games are fixed with little notice and many played without anyone in the general public even knowing. Where’s the incentive to play a full team for a league game. There’s no relegation or promotion. This was suggested a few years ago. Tallow were actually due to play Cappoquin I think in a league relegation match from the senior hurling league. But guess what. It never happened. This is why there is a large proportion of walkovers in league games.

In Cork the league is given plenty of credence. You hear the league fixtures on the radio and matches are reviewed in the papers along with scores and reports on league games. The league finals could be on in Waterford and you’d never know.
    A proposal was put in last year to play hurling league and football league games every 2nd week with a break in the 3rd week for the summer months with both finals to be played on the same day. This would generate a buzz about the league and make finals day a showcase of local GAA. Obviously this depended on whether dual teams were involved. But instead of discussing it on it’s merits or faults. The county board threw out the motion on a point of order and it was never heard of again.

I’ve seen a lot of posts here about what motions are clubs putting forward to improve fixtures. Well I’d say there will be none. PJ Ryan keeps saying that the clubs are the county board yet when a club offers a suggestion then instead of discussing it they just quash it because it wasn’t structured in the correct way.
    A number of years ago Modeligo requested that clubs have a say in the CCC committee for the fixture of games. The county board basically laughed at such a proposal. Why should clubs have any say on when games should be played.

The fact that we are in November and minor finals are being played when minors can’t play adult competitions anymore, so have no reason to be held up just shows you that whoever is responsible for fixtures is not fit for purpose. Master fixture list anyone ??????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement