Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

So anyway..... should be a great game in Walsh Park this Sunday. Patrickswell are very strong with Gillane, Lynch and Byrnes from the county team? They'll be hard to stop and Dessie Hutch will have his first real test with a wider expectation on him to deliver. I'd say he'll do himself justice and if he's an off day, it won't be due to pressure. Apparently Paudie Mahony and Peter Hogan are injury concerns.

Shane Bennett a big concern for Ballysaggart in their game.

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Other issues include the Western intermediate hurling league circa 10 walkovers with the final still not played - again Geography used as a divider and not ability.

Compare this to the 2018 / 2019 Waterford junior league season;

398 games played from Division 4B up to Premier with 13 walkovers (6 were drawn off at end of season) giving an overall result of 3.3% of walkovers.

So the rate of walkovers in GAA vs. Soccer locally is almost Treble. Why? Again Geog vs. Ability.

Local junior league clearly defines teams into leagues based on ability but yet locally the argument about teams having to travel gets bandied about? Its an issue in Soccer but not GAA?

Back to the GAA;

Competitions still not completed - 7 in all i reckon.

Minor C Football, first game was in Feb 2019, semi final played in June 2019 and the final between Coise Bride and Ballyduff Upper is down for decision this Saturday in Cappaquin. Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

The Eastern intermediate hurling championship is still not completed! St Saviours have to face a relegation play off 2 weeks after they play munster club football! Why is this even deemed remotely acceptable?

Junior C football still rumbles on as does the Senior Football county league semi finals still not played!

Hard to compare soccer leagues with the GAA. Teams are grouped on ability in soccer leagues because of promotion and relegation. We have the same in our championship just not in our leagues. The state of the league competitions in Waterford is a disgrace. No one cares about them. They are just fixtures thrown in as an almost token gesture. I’d love to know over the years how many leagues have not been finished each year. This IS down to the county board. The league isn’t promoted. Games are fixed with little notice and many played without anyone in the general public even knowing. Where’s the incentive to play a full team for a league game. There’s no relegation or promotion. This was suggested a few years ago. Tallow were actually due to play Cappoquin I think in a league relegation match from the senior hurling league. But guess what. It never happened. This is why there is a large proportion of walkovers in league games.

In Cork the league is given plenty of credence. You hear the league fixtures on the radio and matches are reviewed in the papers along with scores and reports on league games. The league finals could be on in Waterford and you’d never know.
    A proposal was put in last year to play hurling league and football league games every 2nd week with a break in the 3rd week for the summer months with both finals to be played on the same day. This would generate a buzz about the league and make finals day a showcase of local GAA. Obviously this depended on whether dual teams were involved. But instead of discussing it on it’s merits or faults. The county board threw out the motion on a point of order and it was never heard of again.

I’ve seen a lot of posts here about what motions are clubs putting forward to improve fixtures. Well I’d say there will be none. PJ Ryan keeps saying that the clubs are the county board yet when a club offers a suggestion then instead of discussing it they just quash it because it wasn’t structured in the correct way.
    A number of years ago Modeligo requested that clubs have a say in the CCC committee for the fixture of games. The county board basically laughed at such a proposal. Why should clubs have any say on when games should be played.

The fact that we are in November and minor finals are being played when minors can’t play adult competitions anymore, so have no reason to be held up just shows you that whoever is responsible for fixtures is not fit for purpose. Master fixture list anyone ??????

Excellent post as was Saturdaymans, the issue is structures and lack there of, also it must be said we need a cultural changes re travelling east and west. No sign of the review group engaging with the clubs, I'm not expecting much from them and wonder will we ever see the report at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The lack of a proper league structure is a huge deficiency in the GAA in Waterford. Creating a tiered league structure with promotion and relegation was a key proposal in Michael Walsh’s development plan which was totally ignored by the Waterford County Board.

In other counties not only do they have highly-organised league structures – which in some cases determine a club’s championship status – but you get a schedule of games at the beginning of the year running right through into the autumn. Some clubs may have up to four teams playing at different levels in the league.

I played soccer for much of my playing life and what I really liked about it was the regular weekly game (usually on Sunday morning). Clubs entered as many teams as there were players available. The cup competitions were add-ons played on a knock-out basis. If you won a game or two in them all well and good, but the league games were the real bread and butter. The GAA in Waterford has never grasped the simple idea of giving players a weekly competitive game during the playing season.

In other counties you will also see posters advertising forthcoming league games in the shops in some towns and villages. This enhances the visibility of the leagues and provides an entertainment outlet for local people. League games can also be a useful source of finance – a senior club attracting a crowd of 100 to one of these games and charging €5 to get in generates a handy €500 for club funds.

I remember a couple of years ago reading in my club notes in the local paper that the club was playing another high-profile club in the senior league the following week. When I went to watch this game I found that, apart from the players, their mentors and some club officials, I was the only person in attendance. It was a very enjoyable game on a lovely summer evening, yet nobody knew it was on.

I don’t think I have seen a similar notification in the club notes since, while the local papers never carry a list of forthcoming league games as you will see in other counties. The County Board and the clubs really need to do more to enhance the status of these competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭razorronan

New Waterford Jersey due out before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Are TQS staying as sponsor? When is their contract up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭razorronan

Cake Man wrote: »
    Are TQS staying as sponsor? When is their contract up?

I think so. I was in at the Azzurri sale yesterday (all Waterford GAA stuff half price) I asked is there a new jersey coming out, She said design has been approved and it will be released before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not necessarily a terrible result, that templenoe team have the likes of Sean O'Shea and Cillian and Tom Spillane playing for them, the liklihood is they will not be touched between now and the intermediate club all ireland final in February

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Not necessarily a terrible result, that templenoe team have the likes of Sean O'Shea and Cillian and Tom Spillane playing for them, the liklihood is they will not be touched between now and the intermediate club all ireland final in February

Seán Ó Sé doesn't play for them. Tadhg Morley does.

Best of luck to all the Waterford clubs in action tomorrow

• Advertisement

Seán Ó Sé doesn't play for them. Tadhg Morley does.

gavin crowley and the spillanes also , sorry , o'shea is kenmare , either way still would be seen as a decent effort

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

gavin crowley and the spillanes also , sorry , o'shea is kenmare , either way still would be seen as a decent effort

At intermediate club level in Ireland, no team will beat them. They have 4 Kerry senior starters.

I am sure the rest of the team aren’t too shabby either being from Kerry.

conor05 wrote: »
    At intermediate club level in Ireland, no team will beat them. They have 4 Kerry senior starters.

I am sure the rest of the team aren’t too shabby either being from Kerry.

, intermediate football in kerry is as good as most senior championships in the country, scoring 2-09 away from home and losing by 13 is not a bad effort at all

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Any news on Mahony and Hogan or Shane Bennett? Not long to go. Hope they all start and do damage.

Sub goalie starting for Patrickswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sub goalie starting for Patrickswell

Gillane's younger brother. Has been playing very well for them at corner forward so it's a double blow for them having to play him in goal with Murray out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballysaggart win 0-15 to 1-11 the goal coming right at the end. 1900 here in Walsh park today and ballygunner well on top, 6 ahead with 10 mins left but could easily be double that such is their dominance

Ballygunner getting the job done

Congrats to Ballysaggart

https://twitter.com/BallysaggartGAA/status/1193541142408773632

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Rathgormack gone to extra time down in Clare 0-10 to 1-7 full time score

congrats Ballygunner

Senior final Ballygunner vs Borris-lleigh of Tipp on the 24th November
    Intermediate final Ballysaggart vs Fr O Neills of Cork the saem day

for all the slack we give Club hurling here 2 Munster finalists not bad return. Hopefully the 2 clubs win in Munster

we could have a depleted Waterford side for the Munster league. Draw for that is tomorrow

Is the Ballygunner manager Darragh o Sullivan from Waterford ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

congrats Ballygunner

for all the slack we give Club hurling here 2 Munster finalists not bad return. Hopefully the 2 clubs win in Munster

we could have a depleted Waterford side for the Munster league. Draw for that is tomorrow

He's from ballygunner Shane's brother ,mahonys uncle etc. Comfortable win again. Controlled heads up hurling picking man out and everyone comfortable on the ball. Great chance now to retain it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Did ye see the Patrickswell player refusing to shake Pauric Mahonys hand at full time? How childish is that

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

congrats Ballygunner

Can’t see Ballysaggart beating Fr O Neills.

Can see Ballygunnar winning Munster and doing well in All Ireland series.

conor05 wrote: »
    Can’t see Ballysaggart beating Fr O Neills.

Can see Ballygunnar winning Munster and doing well in All Ireland series.

Ballygunner will be mad favourites with Borrislleigh only winning there first Tipp championship in 33 years

Final should not he in Thurles, it would give Borrislleigh a massive advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Ballygunner will be mad favourites with Borrislleigh only winning there first Tipp championship in 33 years

wont make any difference. Bg should win regardless tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Congrats to Ballygunner and Ballysaggart.

Some achievement by Ballysaggart, if they have 21 adult players it's about as much as they have.

If they ever needed an incentive in the Munster Final the fact that Joxer O'Connor from Lismore is in charge of Fr. ONeill's should be enough to get the juices flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Congrats to Ballygunner and Ballysaggart.

Some achievement by Ballysaggart, if they have 21 adult players it's about as much as they have.

If they ever needed an incentive in the Munster Final the fact that Joxer O'Connor from Lismore is in charge of Fr. ONeill's should be enough to get the juices flowing!

Pat Bennett was involved with Fr O'Niells last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Ballygunner woukd gladly play in thurles I'd say .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Was expecting a much tougher challenge from The ‘well’.......18/19 mins said it all however.....the half time sore of 0-7 to 0-6 really flattered them.....their big stars gillane and Lynch were largely anonymous.....gillane missed very scorable frees in first half.....second half followed a similar pattern to the first. Will Borris-Ileigh be the acid test everyone expects...? Club hurling not as strong in limerick as had been said....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

debok wrote: »
    Ballygunner woukd gladly play in thurles I'd say .

Be very silly if they did and subsequently lost. Never give away any advantage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement